Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Mourinho to succeed Ferguson at United?

Read 1544 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Mourinho to succeed Ferguson at United?
      Oct 26, 2008 05:22:40 pm
      Manchester United want Jose Mourinho when Sir Alex Goes

Exclusive by Paul Smith 25/10/2008

Jose Mourinho is the man Manchester United want to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson.

The United hierarchy are waiting for 66 year-old Ferguson to confirm when he intends to call it a day. But the moment he makes his retirement plans clear Old Trafford sights will be set on recruiting the Inter Milan coach.

Mourinho joined Inter last summer on a £7.8million a-year contract.

Significantly, he insisted on having a get-out clause written into his deal with the Italian giants.

The man who guided Chelsea to back-to-back Premier League titles has already stated that his next move will be back to English football. He will need little encouragement in activating his get-out clause to join United.

United are conducting a management review. They want to make sure Fergie's retirement, after so many illustrious years, does not derail their inexorable success on and off the field.

The United board recognise they need a manager with the huge personality to step into the post-Ferguson void.

They believe Mourinho is that man.

Some United insiders believe Ferguson may be ready to retire at the end of this season. The manager prefers to keep his options open, well aware that any formal announcement might undermine his team's pursuit of honours.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/25/manchester-united-want-jose-mourinho-when-sir-alex-goes-115875-20839353/

I don't want this guy back in the Premier League. Red nose's retirement must be a real worry for united. I think it will be the end of their "dominance". But I really don't want to see Mourinho back. He's even more arogant than "protect us" red nose!!!!! I think its just speculation but I don't even want to think about him!!!!
      « Last Edit: Oct 26, 2008 05:48:00 pm by CRK »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Re: Mourinho to succeed Ferguson at United?
      Reply #1: Oct 26, 2008 05:26:14 pm
      Couldn't give a F**k who replaces Fergie because Fergie came with Liverpool dominanting English football and he'll be leaving in similar circumstances. As for Mourinho, he can come back, spend even more money and he'll still be a second class manager compared to our very own Rafa Benitez.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Oct 26, 2008 05:32:19 pm
      United dismiss Mourinho link
      Red Devils insist they do not know Sir Alex's successor
      Last updated: 25th October 2008

Mourinho and Ferguson

As we have said many times before, there has been no discussion about who will eventually succeed Sir Alex.

Manchester United have rejected speculation that they have opened talks with Jose Mourinho about becoming their next manager.

Mourinho stated earlier this week that he wants return to the Premier League once his contract with Inter Milan expires in 2011.

This could very well fit with Ferguson's retirement date - should he stand by his decision to leave the United helm in 2010 - 24 years after taking charge.

It has not taken long for many to now speculate that the Portuguese tactician is the man both United and Ferguson want to replace him,

However, United have been quick to quash reports that Mourinho is the man in line to succeed Ferguson.

"As we have said many times before, there has been no discussion about who will eventually succeed Sir Alex," said a United spokesman.

Ferguson has already become United's most successful manager, winning his second Champions League trophy in May with a penalty shoot-out victory over Chelsea, who had Avram Grant in charge.

It was Mourinho's failure to land Europe's biggest prize that led to his exit from Stamford Bridge, although he did win the competition - and the Uefa Cup - during an impressive spell at Porto, beating United on the way.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_4392861,00.html

Can't see it happening myself. Mourinho fancies himself too much to deny it himself though!
      « Last Edit: Oct 26, 2008 05:49:03 pm by CRK, Reason: Change of source! »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #3: Oct 26, 2008 06:10:52 pm
      I would hate manure and maureen even more (if that's possible) if he took over.

There welcome to each other.

Couldn't really care less though.............there's only ONE team flying high this season  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Oct 26, 2008 08:41:13 pm
      Could'nt give a damn if he takes over at United or not, will still hate them with a passion regardless of who the gaffer is. (although i hate jose and their current manager with a passion too :D)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #5: Oct 27, 2008 02:43:20 pm
       True Utd fans left at Old Trafford would probably see this as the last straw.

Do you still reckon they forgive him for dancing down the touchline?
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2008 02:54:41 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Nov 09, 2008 07:46:06 am
      I wouldn't want to see Mourinho back in English football.

Quick Reply