Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Prematch Spurs v Liverpool

Read 9806 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Prematch Spurs v Liverpool
      Oct 30, 2008 02:49:04 am
      Well here it is, top v bottom, who thought we'd be saying that after ten games into the season?

Spurs are starting to show signs of the side most think they are. Redknapp has got them playing good attacking football but at the back they're still a shambles with or without Ledley King who is one over rated centre half.

White Hart Lane is one of those places we don't do that well at (generally) but after a run of five straight wins and two consecutive clean sheets as well as recent success in the capital our lads shouldn't be too worried at the prospect of Spurs. If we go there with the attitude we adopted in the second half at City, we can come away with all three points easy, if we go there with the attitude we did at Villa Park we'll do well for a point. Spurs are good going forward and we can't just invite pressure onto ourselves.

Our injury list won't include Fernando Torres hopefully for this game which should tip the balance in our favour, because the Spurs back line is a joke and their keeper starts crying after every other save. A fit Torres and on form Gerrard will give us a real chance of another win. Keane will hopefully be fit to return against his old club and Riera will also be able to shake his knock off. Agger will probably return to the heart of the defence to keep Pavelchenko (that Russian fella) and/or Bent quiet. I expect Aurelio to continue at left back and with any luck will close the ball down this time because Bentley can deliver a decent cross. Centre of the park is ours because Huddlestone/Jenas/Modric/Zakora are no match for Stevie/Masch/Xabi, whoever they play in the middle, won't be half as good as which two or three we pick.

Another tough away test for the lads, but we've shown this season we know how to combat that and with the right attitude we should be beating Spurs even with their recent run of late. They'll be fu**ed after tonight's game with Arsenal which took everything out of them. I predicted 3-0 before Redknapp took over, so I'll stick with that and it's very possible if we turn up with our attack minded boots on.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Re: Prematch Spurs v Liverpool
      Reply #1: Oct 30, 2008 04:02:50 am
      I can see them giving us a game but if we test the keeper plenty we will win easily because he is rubbish.
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #2: Oct 30, 2008 04:15:18 am
      i think they're last two games have been lucky, redknapp hasnt had that big an influence on them yet. maybe they feel a bit rejuvinated after jettisoning some deadwood but i dont think they should be a problem. i cant see why we cant win all the games coming up to arsenal, but one thing i dont want to see is liverpool falling into old habits and getting too laxidasical. This happens too much when we play teams we think we should beat. Hopefully we can maintain a better attitute throughout the rest of the season, one that doesnt allow us to go behind rather than having to claw back a deficit.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #3: Oct 30, 2008 04:22:42 am
      I think this will be a bit harder than what we would of expected have Ramos still been the manager. I not buying that they are a completely different and wonderful side after beating a poor Bolton side and good draw in a local derby match which brings out odd things. I think the differenence will be out trio of Gerrard/Alonso/Javi matching up with their trio of Modric/Jenas/Huddlestone where I think we can over-run them and control the game like we did vs Chelsea.

I will say I hope that Torres will be fit to play because I think with the good form we are in it is important to have Torres as part of it and scoring goals in the process but we have shown we can score goals without him.

I think Rafa will revert to our strongest XI

- - - - - - - - - - - Pepe - - - - - - - - - - -
      Arboloa- - - - Carra - - -Agger- - Aurelio
      - - - - - - - - - Alonso - - Javi - - - - - - - -
      Kuyt - - - - - - - - Gerrard - - - - - - Riera
      - - - - - - - - - - -Torres/Keane - - - - - - -

zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Oct 30, 2008 06:00:37 am
      Spurs V Gunners. I would say Arse lost the 2 points instead of Spurs gaining 1. Its theirs for the taking at 4-2. Anyway, that's a good result for us, another two points further away from us. Would like to hear what C. Fabragas have to say after he said that Spurs can't even beat the Arse ladies team. (Refer The SUN). Ha, ha.

Now, back to the match, as long as we respect every team (even the last one), we should get the 3 points and solidify our top position. Their confidence is high so as ours. It makes you wonder can one man change all that overnight??

They r practically the same team with the same players, Ramos changed to Arry. Can he makes that much difference???

It is time to end his honeymoon & bring him down to the hash reality of EPL.

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2008 08:12:42 am by zz19a »
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: Oct 30, 2008 06:43:13 am
      This is the one game I'm not looking forward to !, after the changes at White Hart Lane (and subsequently Fratton Park) I fully expected us to beat Pompey ! but Spurs are a different team all together and after a win and a draw with 'Arry at the helm Confidence is sky high !
      I agree that their defence is weak and the goalkeeper is a joke and a health risk to his fellow players ! but Stoke weren't a joke and cost us 2pts,
      don't forget this is the same team that under Ramos got only 2pts upto the weekend ! but with just a new man in charge have scored 6 goals in 2 games and not just againsts anyone  (remember what Arsenal did in Europe last week !) I am genuinly concerned we may slip up !
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Oct 30, 2008 07:25:21 am
      Spurs might be on a high at the moment so its up to the REDS to bring them back to earth with a good thrashing,I cant see Spurs being defensive so with a bit of luck we will have Torres back to tear their defence apart.3 points from this game will set us up nicely for Athletico Madrid.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7: Oct 30, 2008 08:17:41 am
      Just tell the lads to go out there and win ;D. We came with 3 points from White Hart Lane last season. Just hope we can get another 3 points from there.
      _Dimitri_
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 211 posts |
      Reply #8: Oct 30, 2008 11:14:33 am
      Hope that keane gets his first premier league  goal for us against spurs
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Oct 30, 2008 11:39:08 am
      All this talk of their refound belief but we're on top, unbeaten and all without the best striker in the world. He comes back for this and we should be able to top them off. They are lacklustre at best at the back, Hutton was a joke V Arse from highlights and their keeper Gomes, my word he is pushing it for worst buy of the season already. They wont sit and defend which means our back 4 could have a stern test but if we play like we did against Pompey but with Nando to finish a chance off or 2 then we'll win and then some.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #10: Oct 30, 2008 11:40:51 am
      the performance last night could and should have been better,however with the intro of riera and benny we started to attack more,against spurs i think rafa will field our strong eleven and we will have the measure of tottenham
      2-1 to reds at the lane but we must score in the first half and stamp our authority from the start.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #11: Oct 30, 2008 11:45:30 am
      Let's face it, Arsenal aren't exactly hard to take points off nowadays :D
      Spurs should be no problem for the mighty reds :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #12: Oct 30, 2008 11:50:21 am
      team against spurs
      ------------arbeloa----------carra----------agger----------

kuyt----------xabi----------javi----------riera----------

-------------------------gerrard----------------------------

-----------------torres------------------kean---------------

what do you think chaps?
      RedForLife
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #13: Oct 30, 2008 11:56:10 am
      have a feeling he might just use this instead:

- - - - - - - - - Lucas - - Javi - - - - - - - -
      - - - - - - - - - - -Torres - - - - - - - - - - -

OR

- - - - - - - - - Gerrard - - Javi - - - - - - - -
      Kuyt - - - - - - - - Robbie - - - - - - Riera
      - - - - - - - - - - -Torres - - - - - - - - - - -

Though i really rather he uses the formation as described by adammac
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #14: Oct 30, 2008 12:39:50 pm
      I personally think Xabi should play, he controls the midfield and that will help us control the game. and he spreads the ball out wide easily.

Tottenham sold Paul Robinson cause he was a joke. Now , Gomes makes Paul Robinson look like Golden Gloves. And those players that had left Tottenham are having a good run with their new teams.
      king-nando
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 148 posts |
      Reply #15: Oct 30, 2008 01:18:09 pm
      team against spurs
      ------------arbeloa----------carra----------agger----------

kuyt----------xabi----------javi----------riera----------

-------------------------gerrard----------------------------

-----------------torres------------------kean---------------

what do you think chaps?

not sure about three at the back and no keeper, i know we're top of the league but that's taking the piss :lmao:
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #16: Oct 30, 2008 01:21:33 pm
      not sure about three at the back and no keeper, I know we're top of the league but that's taking the piss :lmao:

Beat me to it :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #17: Oct 30, 2008 01:22:30 pm
      not sure about three at the back and no keeper, I know we're top of the league but that's taking the piss :lmao:

we have two keepers at the back carra and agger.reina is there for pens only. ;D ;D ;D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #18: Oct 30, 2008 09:48:12 pm
      Spurs were running on adrenalin on wed. they will be totally fu**ed on sat. I f we can get an early goal and then hold onto the ball and control the pace of the game we should finnish up handsome winners. 3 - 0 I think.
       We will have to perform better than we did after going ahead on wed though.
      jimbob
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #19: Oct 30, 2008 10:40:07 pm
      this is the formation to go with. good skills adamac
      I think this will be a bit harder than what we would of expected have Ramos still been the manager. I not buying that they are a completely different and wonderful side after beating a poor Bolton side and good draw in a local derby match which brings out odd things. I think the differenence will be out trio of Gerrard/Alonso/Javi matching up with their trio of Modric/Jenas/Huddlestone where I think we can over-run them and control the game like we did vs Chelsea.

I will say I hope that Torres will be fit to play because I think with the good form we are in it is important to have Torres as part of it and scoring goals in the process but we have shown we can score goals without him.

I think Rafa will revert to our strongest XI

- - - - - - - - - Alonso - - Javi - - - - - - - -
      - - - - - - - - - - -Torres/Keane - - - - - - -

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,220 posts | 2802 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Oct 30, 2008 10:47:07 pm
      End of the day its top v bottom. Spurs got a point on Wednesday because Arsenal hadnt got the brain to take the ball into the corner with a minute to go they tried that killer pass again to look good  ::) Spurs are spineless Gerrard Alonso or Masch should easily control midfield while Carra and Agger should easily deal with Pavulychenko or Bent and we should have Torres back also. Im going for a 2 nil to us
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #21: Oct 30, 2008 11:10:42 pm
      End of the day its top v bottom. Spurs got a point on Wednesday because Arsenal hadnt got the brain to take the ball into the corner with a minute to go they tried that killer pass again to look good  ::) Spurs are spineless Gerrard Alonso or Masch should easily control midfield while Carra and Agger should easily deal with Pavulychenko or Bent and we should have Torres back also. Im going for a 2 nil to us
      Only 2 Brian i will stick my neck out and say 4 ,with Torres back.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #22: Oct 31, 2008 12:52:34 am
      I think Spurs were very lucky against Arsenal it was Arsenal's naivity and lack of experience that threw away the  3 points for them. Spurs did not create any chances and I know it might sound vulgar after they scored 4 goals  but they were never a serious threat, 3 goals came from a wonder goal by Bentley poor goalkeeping and a lucky deflection.

I think the key to this match will be our midfield Modric aside the Spurs look disorganised in the middle and were constantly out ran by Denilson and Fabregas. The midfield has been their biggest problem this season and with Masch and Xabi in form and Gerrard charging towards the 18 yard box they will be in shambles.

Hence my team would be;

Reina

Arbeloa                   Carragher       Agger       Aurelio

Kuyt              Masch          Xabi                    Riera

Gerrard

Torres

in this line up we would simply be too good for them.

Quick Reply