Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Liverpool v West Brom - Pre-Match

Read 13743 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Liverpool v West Brom - Pre-Match
      Nov 05, 2008 03:43:42 pm
      Well after two games without a win, this game couldn't come at a better time for us. West Brom are a side who like to play football, so at Anfield we should be alright. Regain some confidence and go on another decent run of results.

Hopefully Torres will be fit for this one and we can finally see two up front again. It's vital we get three points here and keep the pressure on Chelsea. Robbie Keane will break his Premiership duck in this game with any luck. Stevie back in the middle and drop Masch, no need for two holdin midfielders at home and Xabi offers that little bit more goin forward. Take your pick for left back because they're both sh*te.

Bednar and Miller are both strong up top which'll mean Carra and Agger have to be on their toes. Morrison, Brunt, Koren and Greening are no match for our midfield and that's where we'll win this match. At the back, they've got Carson who we know is a dodgy keeper. The back four of Robinson, Zuiverloon, Olson and Meite are slow which means we should have some joy runnin at them, because of that I'd start with Babel (of whom I've been heavily critical of late) and drop Kuyt or Keane.

Torres, Riera, Babel, Gerrard and Kuyt or Keane goin forward will put the shits up the Baggies defence. We have to go for broke this Saturday and really signal a sign of intent. It'll be a disappointment if we don't hit at least three past them.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008 03:55:43 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Re: Liverpool v West Brom - Pre-Match
      Reply #1: Nov 05, 2008 03:57:09 pm
      Back to the proper stuff this weekend.

Hopefully Torres will be back - I'd be more inclined to start him and then bring him off than use him as a sub.

We need to kick these in to touch.  We played reasonably against Spurs but poorly against Madrid.  We need an emphatic result - belief may be waning a bit after the poor start to November.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #2: Nov 05, 2008 04:02:15 pm
      Back to how we played against United and Chelsea. Except with Torres back in the lineup, so hopefully a few more goals.

I want to see at least 3 goals past them. And a clean sheet.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #3: Nov 05, 2008 04:25:16 pm
      I hope that Rafa will play two up top, the last two times we played the 4-5-1 at home we had poor results where our only goals came on pk.

My line-up

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pepe - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Arboloa - - - - - -Carra - - - - - Agger - - - Aurelio
      Kuyt - - - - - - -Gerrard - - - -Alonso - - - Babel
      - - - - - - - - - - Torres - - - - - Keane - - - - - - -

If Torres isn't fit I would push Kuyt up front and put either Pennant or even consider El Zhar on the right side. We really need to start flex some scoring muscle. I hope for a 3-0 win.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,633 posts | 128 
      Reply #4: Nov 05, 2008 04:38:29 pm
      I hope that Rafa will play two up top, the last two times we played the 4-5-1 at home we had poor results where our only goals came on pk.

My line-up

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pepe - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Arboloa - - - - - -Carra - - - - - Agger - - - Aurelio
      Kuyt - - - - - - -Gerrard - - - -Alonso - - - Babel
      - - - - - - - - - - Torres - - - - - Keane - - - - - - -

If Torres isn't fit I would push Kuyt up front and put either Pennant or even consider El Zhar on the right side. We really need to start flex some scoring muscle. I hope for a 3-0 win.

absolutly sign! But you sad "if Torres isn't fit i would push Kuyt up front..." In my opinion Babel is the man we should pick up front and put Riera on the left side?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #5: Nov 05, 2008 06:44:04 pm
      absolutly sign! But you sad "if Torres isn't fit I would push Kuyt up front..." In my opinion Babel is the man we should pick up front and put Riera on the left side?

Riera hasn't been looking at his best the past two games, maybe you could put Babel up front and put either again El Zhar or Yossi there. Also maybe consider giving N'Gog the start, seems Rafa has faith in the kid.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Nov 06, 2008 07:40:02 am
      No ifs or buts we have to dominate (and score goals ) against West Brom,nothing less than a convincing will do.Just heard on Radio Merseyside RAFA reckons Torres should be fit for the game-HOORAY .
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #7: Nov 06, 2008 11:49:53 am
      keane looked lively the last match probably had one of his best games for us, but i would still drop him and put either babel or ngog on........ i think we will win 4-0     although it could easily be 1-0 with the way we are finishing latley
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 06, 2008 01:02:57 pm
      Riera hasn't been looking at his best the past two games, maybe you could put Babel up front and put either again El Zhar or Yossi there. Also maybe consider giving N'Gog the start, seems Rafa has faith in the kid.

I dont know, just from what i have seen from Ngog that he isnt doesnt have the midas touch infact reminds me of carlton palmer getting his two legs to work together! Babel up front would work but i really dont think Keane by himself will get us goals, i think we will rest a few to be honest, i know we need to win but whatever squad we put out we should beat these. Maybe similar formation to what he had at portsmouth except maybe starting with Torres and Keane up front or if Torres aint fit to start which personally i dont think we should start with him

My team would have to be reina in goal, carra and hyypia or agger at centre back, aurelio and arbeloa down the left and right. Midfield masch, gerrard and alonso with benayoun and kuyt down the wings and play babel up by himself. It torres is back torres and keane up front and gerrard, alonso, benayoun and not sure someone else and same back 4!

This should be a game we win with ease though tbh
      Gui F.J.V
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts |
      Reply #9: Nov 06, 2008 01:25:24 pm
      easy game

3 x 0

Torres '''
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Nov 06, 2008 01:36:31 pm
      Everyone keeps saying WBA will come and play football so on that basis Id make several changes to our team. Torres would come back with a little rest for Keane. Id also play two different full backs who would attack. Id give Degen a start on the right and Id move Agger to left back, hes solid defensively and is excellent getting forward. The fact im playing Degen at right back would force me to leave Kuyt on the right of midfield rather then play him up front. So Id give Babel a start as an out an out striker alongside Torres. So my team is

Reina

Degen Carra Hyppia Agger

Kuyt Gerrard Alonso Riera

Babel  Torres 

Rafas team probably

Reina

Arbe Carra Agger Aurelio

Kuyt Masch Alonso Riera

Gerrard

Keane

Dont think hell start Nando

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Nov 06, 2008 01:45:01 pm
      ^^^^

I was just thinking today that with our left back looking dodgy it'd be nice to see Agger pushed out there, especially if things haven't improved by the time Skrtel's back. It'd show Aurelio and Dossena that they need to improve there game if they want to be in the starting line-up. I don't think there's any chance it will happen though.

As for Degen, is there still a question mark over his fitness, or is Rafa just persisting with playing Arbeloa? I'd like to see him play in the EPL, and there would be no better game than against a side we should have little trouble beating! (I stress the point that we should be beating them, I aren't taking it for granted!).

Let's just hope for three points, with or without Torres. Don't want him hurting himself any more than he already is though, so maybe starting them taken off early, or the "super-sub" role for him IMO!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #12: Nov 06, 2008 02:09:59 pm

From what I've seen of Benitez he tends to handle returning players by starting them and bringing them off, rather than the other way round.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #13: Nov 06, 2008 02:15:39 pm
      This is a game where all our dominant displays need to turn into a successful end product. No excuses I am tired of hearing about Nando he has missed 6 allready and needs to start. WBA's defense will be set up differently if they see him in the line up.
      For this match I would drop Carra and play Hyppia I dont think WBA have any pace to trouble Sammi. I would play Dossena against this lower position he needs a good game to bolster his confidence. I would start with Keane and Torres upfront with Stevie G supporting give Masch a bit of a breather.

Come on you redmen!
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #14: Nov 06, 2008 02:47:08 pm
      Maybe we can score 2 goals here. 2 - 0
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #15: Nov 06, 2008 03:25:48 pm
      Need to attack them and becareful to not get caught out in the counter attack.

I'd like
      ----------------Reina----------------------
      Arbeloa---Carra---Agger---Dossena
      Kuyt-----Gerrard----Alonso-----Riera
      ----------Torres----Keane--------------

Knowing Rafa, Lucas would probably start ;D. I wouldn't start with N'gog. He's class but i think he's still young and lack the experience.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #16: Nov 06, 2008 03:55:00 pm
      I think we will rest a few to be honest,

I can't see that with a Carling Cup game mid-week where a lot of players like Lucas, N'Gog, Pennant, Yossi, Sami, Degen will be playing so that will be the chance to give some of the players who have been playing a lot of games a full week rest before we play away to Bolton.
      mrscarragher
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 93 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 06, 2008 04:39:10 pm
      Hopefully we'll get back on a winning streak, I'm so happy to be going to this game :) haven't been to Anfield since the Toulouse game last August :( that was a good game though!!
      We're so smashed but I don't care! God bless Aerlingus for cheap flights :laugh:

Oh and Liverpool have always won when I've been their ;D hopefully that record stays in tact :laugh:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #18: Nov 06, 2008 04:58:39 pm
      Then you should build a room at Anfield and sleep there day and night so we can with the treble :D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #19: Nov 06, 2008 08:39:56 pm
      I feel confident we will win this game.

Well we have to really don't we, there's no good beating Chelsea and manure if you can't beat WBA.

Will be very glad to see Liverpool's Number Nine back in the fold, and scoring a couple hopefully, maybe he could give Keane a few lessons  :o sorry Robbie that was a bit nasty, but watch Nando and he'll show you what to do  ;)

I'm going for 3-0 and that's the least I expect.

Liverpool + 8

Chelsea + 23

We need to be giving these sorts of teams a good battering.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #20: Nov 06, 2008 08:55:59 pm
      I feel confident we will win this game.

Well we have to really don't we, there's no good beating Chelsea and manure if you can't beat WBA.

Will be very glad to see Liverpool's Number Nine back in the fold, and scoring a couple hopefully, maybe he could give Keane a few lessons  :o sorry Robbie that was a bit nasty, but watch Nando and he'll show you what to do  ;)

I'm going for 3-0 and that's the least I expect.

Liverpool + 8

Chelsea + 23

We need to be giving these sorts of teams a good battering.

Could`nt agree more MsG,we do need to be giving these type of teams a good battering,lost count of the ammount of good chances we created against Spurs and Ath Madrid and failed to take them,sure Nando would have bagged at least one in each game.Think our midfield should be chipping in with a few goals as well.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Nov 06, 2008 09:06:25 pm
      Could`nt agree more MsG,we do need to be giving these type of teams a good battering,lost count of the amount of good chances we created against Spurs and Ath Madrid and failed to take them,sure Nando would have bagged at least one in each game.Think our midfield should be chipping in with a few goals as well.

Well I don't really think you can compare WBA to A.Madrid, I think they would be quite insulted, after all A.Madrid are a Champions League team, even though they are in their first season as one, and WBA have only just surfaced into the Premiership.

So in saying that, if we had loads of chances against Madrid and couldn't manage to find the net in 90 minutes, then we certainly should stick away a few against WBA...........but of course we all know it doesn't work like that.

But yes, definitely our midfield needs to chip in with a few more goals.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 06, 2008 09:15:41 pm
      Well I don't really think you can compare WBA to A.Madrid, I think they would be quite insulted, after all A.Madrid are a Champions League team, even though they are in their first season as one, and WBA have only just surfaced into the Premiership.

So in saying that, if we had loads of chances against Madrid and couldn't manage to find the net in 90 minutes, then we certainly should stick away a few against WBA...........but of course we all know it doesn't work like that.

But yes, definitely our midfield needs to chip in with a few more goals.

I am not trying to compare Ath Madrid to WBA,just saying we should be taking more of the chances we are creating,but i see what you mean.

Quick Reply