Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Bolton v Liverpool - Prematch

Read 10065 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Bolton v Liverpool - Prematch
      Nov 13, 2008 09:17:35 pm
      Bolton v Liverpool
      FA Premiership
      Sat 15th November 2008 @ 12:45pm
      Sky Sports 1

Well after a what can only be described as smabolic performance against Spurs in the Carling Cup, it's back to Premiership football this weekend.

We're the early kick off on Saturday, which means we can add real pressure on the sides below and side above with a win. If we get those three points it means Chelsea have to win to keep tabs with us. This is a game we can crank up the pressure on our rivals.

As for Bolton, well they've found a bit of form of late which could prove tricky. With Arbeloa's suspension, I'd expect (and like) to see Sami and Danny as the central pairin with Carra at right back. Only because of Kevin Davies' arieal threat, I think Sami must play. Degen isn't up to the job at right back as we saw and although I like Darby and wouldn't mind him gettin a game, I'm not sure Saturday is the right game for him to make his Premiership debut in. Elmander has been sh*te since movin to Megson's Bolton, so I wouldn't worry too much over him. Matty Taylor has been scorin of late, so we could do with keepin him quiet, he also knows how to cross a ball for the likes of Davies. Kuyt will hopefully keep the former Pompey man out of harm. Kevin Nolan is always a threat, but Masch should be able to keep him quiet for some time.

Goin the other way, Jaaskalienin is a good keeper and is difficult to beat. Gary Cahill and Andy O'Brian are hardly the Premiership's best central pairin. Does Torres play? Well after his performance in midweek where he couldn't even walk, I think on the bench is his best place for Saturday. We can bring him on later for another run out, but because of Bolton's physical nature, this isn't a game I'd risk Nando in from the start.

I've gone for a 1-0 win at the Reebok.

I can't wait now, just to push the Tottenham result to the back of our minds. A real chance to add pressure on Chelsea and the rest of the league. Come on Reds!!!!!!!!!!!!
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008 11:34:26 pm by redkenny »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Bolton v Liverpool - Prematch
      Reply #1: Nov 13, 2008 09:35:40 pm
      Fully agree with Sami starting but alongside Carra with Agger maybe going to left back? Another big question for me is if Nando is fit to start who drops out? Alonso has been class so far we will need masch to match them in the tackle around midfield, Stevie wont be dropped and Keane will be on a high from his brace last week. 
      ian92
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #2: Nov 13, 2008 10:22:29 pm
      With Arbeloa being suspended for this one, Rafa has to play with Carragher at right-back, can't trust Degen and I think playing Darby put a load of pressure on the lad. If he was on the bench and we had a very comfortable lead then I don't see the harm in him coming on for a spell later in the game.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Nov 13, 2008 10:47:04 pm
      Sorry lads forgot Arbe was suspended. Carra to right back so Aurelio at left back
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Nov 13, 2008 11:46:21 pm
      It's going to be interesting to see (if) how Carragher gets forward to overlap Kuyt and get the crosses in at right back.

I think pretty much everyone will be assuming Carra starts there on Saturday. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Darby. Stranger things have happened in the past with Rafa's selections.

I'm interested to see how the forward line will pan out. We're away from home and we have the dilema of choice concerning Gerrard, Maschernao and Alonso. Will we see either Torres or Keane on the bench?

We should be breezing past these lot on Saturday though. The main heads will be back and we'll have the quality to open them up and keep possesion. Or at least I expect us to!

Time for the boys to watch and let the men do the business.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Nov 14, 2008 01:22:51 am
      I guess Carra starts right as he has played there before. I'd choose Masch, Stevie and Xabi at the centre with Stevie just behind Keane. Fernando didn't impress in the Carling Cup but can't blame him as he hasn't played with the first team for quite awhile. Kuyt and Riera at the sides then.

I'm just hoping for a comfortable wins like they one we got last season.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #6: Nov 14, 2008 07:23:11 am
      Nothing less than three points this weekend. This run going up to December worries me a little as we have "easier" games going up to Arsenal on the 20th December we need and should win all those games we cant afford to draw any games and drop points like we did last year. Nando for sure needs to be warming the bench in the first half as he wont be match fit yet a run in the second will do him good we really need him fit and strong for the next push through December and on the road to the second half of the season.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Nov 14, 2008 07:47:14 am
      I agree with dizzy we have to get 3 points from each game into the new year. A good win will give the lads the confidence to go to the top  and stay there.
      TommyLoft
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 14, 2008 11:02:03 am
      Degen came off injured on Wednesday so cant see him even being in contention for right back but I could be wrong. Sami had a mare on Wednesday so I think Carragher has to start at centre back with Agger. Darby would be my pick at right back, an unknown coming in abit like Otsemabor against Newcastle and he done a decent job.

Dont think Torres will start and if Rafa goes there with 4-5-1 in mind then Keano should be the man up top after two last week. We are never convincing at the Reebok for some reason so if we can go there and get an early goal then I will be confident of the 3 points.

Hopefully our 3 points will put enough pressure on the other teams around us for them to slip up.

Prediction: 2-1

Aurelio and Gerrard
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #9: Nov 14, 2008 11:42:14 am
      I just want 3 points and a clean sheet hopefully with a good score line for us.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #10: Nov 14, 2008 12:51:43 pm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #11: Nov 14, 2008 12:52:56 pm
      We are never convincing at the Reebok for some reason so if we can go there and get an early goal then I will be confident of the 3 points.

Don't want to tempt fate but Bolton have the worst record of any Premiership side from getting anything after losing the first goal so fingers crossed we do smash the net apart first.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Nov 14, 2008 02:13:04 pm
      Nando off the bench i'd say. Still not sharp enough to start and we scored 3 last time in the league. 4-5-1 again with the wingers coming up and cutting in to support Robbie.

3-0 win.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: Nov 14, 2008 02:56:45 pm
      This is what I see Rafa going with

- - - - - - - - - - - Pepe - - - - - - - - - -

Carra - - - - Sami - - - Agger - - Aurelio

Kuyt - - - Gerrard - - Alonso - - - Riera

- - - - - - - Keane - - Torres - - - - - - -

I think with Arboloa out Carra will do what he hates and play RB for this game. I also think Torres will get the start but will only be on for 55-60 minutes because of fitness and I hope by them we are up by a couple goals and bring Javi to keep things at tight.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #14: Nov 14, 2008 03:51:17 pm
      We are never convincing at the Reebok for some reason so if we can go there and get an early goal then I will be confident of the 3 points.

Well, we broke many hoodoos this season didn't we? We scored against United and Chelsea(at Stamford Bridge), those were things we couldn't do last time :P

To be honest, even though we lost to Tottenham, i have faith in the lads to get us 3 points this game :) I guess we should give Torres a go as they games he has played lacked the services of our first team players.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #15: Nov 14, 2008 04:18:40 pm
      MsGerrard
      Reply #16: Nov 14, 2008 04:33:45 pm

That's good how you've done that Res  ;D and I'd go along with the team as well.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #17: Nov 14, 2008 04:40:19 pm
      WRONG IT SHOULD BE

--------------------Reina--------------------
      Gerrard----Carra-----Agger----Aurelio
      Kuyt-----Xabi----Mascherano----Riera
      ------Keane------Torres------------------

Nah, just playing around.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #18: Nov 14, 2008 07:39:31 pm

Bad choice since he's manager of Sunderland right now, and retired as a professional footballer. And he was a midfielder.

Can't say it enough: Robbie Keane will always be Robbie Keane, Keano will always be a Manc tw*t.

On topic, really looking forward to getting back to the most important competition: the league! Got a good vibe about this one, let's go give them a lesson in football, especially finishing! ;D
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #19: Nov 14, 2008 09:33:24 pm
      Xabi should definitely play, He is in such great form that we cant afford to leave him out. is arbeloa injured?
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #20: Nov 14, 2008 09:42:49 pm
      Bad choice since he's manager of Sunderland right now, and retired as a professional footballer. And he was a midfielder.

Can't say it enough: Robbie Keane will always be Robbie Keane, Keano will always be a Manc tw*t.

Its true.. I cringe everytime I hear someone refer to Robbie as Keano...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Nov 14, 2008 10:38:55 pm
      I read somewhere earlier that Rafa is likely to play Darby at the back. This reminded me of when Hobbs played in the league last season, we had an injury problem at the back and he came in and did'nt do too bad. If I remember rightley it was against Reading and we lost :( and Sissoko kept taking the ball off him :laugh:

Reina

Darby   Carra   Agger   Aurelio

Kuyt  Masch  Gerrard  Riera

Keane   Nando

I htink if Rafa goes with Carra at right back then it will obviously be Agger and Hyypia at the back but also San Jose could well make an appearance on the bench like against Chelsea last season.

Im going for 3-0, Nando hat trick ;)

MsGerrard
      Reply #22: Nov 14, 2008 11:59:54 pm
      Xabi should definitely play, He is in such great form that we cant afford to leave him out. is arbeloa injured?

Arbeloa is suspended.

Quick Reply