Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would you pay £17m for Mascherano ?

Yes
      (91.2%)
      No
      (4.4%)
      Buy someone else
      (4.4%)

Javier Mascherano (FC Barcelona)

Read 249279 times
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Javier Mascherano (FC Barcelona)
      Jan 29, 2007 10:46:51 pm
      Rafa said today that it may go through after the transfer window.

Very complicated.

Rafa also said he would be with us for a year and a half.  What does everyone make of that? Is that a permanent contract - why so short.
      « Last Edit: Mar 09, 2010 06:06:02 pm by JD »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: The Javier Mascherano thread
      Reply #1: Jan 29, 2007 11:20:48 pm
      That would take us to summer 2008 wouldn't it? Apparently theres something in his contract that states if he plays more than a handful of games West Ham would have to pay £25million.

http://www.westhamfans.org/latest-news/the-real-reason-mascherano-does-not-start-for-west-ham
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Jan 30, 2007 12:42:09 am
      Let's hope he hasn't got the same contract written in with us.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/01/29/javier-mascherano-signs-for-liverpool/
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #3: Jan 30, 2007 07:02:14 am
      I have said in another post you don't become a bad player over night, the deal he had at westham was not good for him. Rafa has done a good deal, 18 months loan so he has cost us nothing, but we have a long time to work on him to get him up to prem. standard, he is class we just don't know if he can do it in the prem yet, but with the boss and a few players speaking Spanish this is only going to help him.
      If the deal does go through we could be sitting on a great star, he young and has a lot of class.
      I for one wish him all the best
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #4: Jan 30, 2007 09:04:09 am
      I think he'll be a good signing, he's good on the ball/can tackle/speak english, I just think coming over from brazil into a relagation battle with all the rmours of a takeover was a major factor in how he played for west ham, it doesnt help when some of the players aroung you are of a not very good standard!!
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #5: Jan 30, 2007 09:58:26 am
      i think Mascherano is a good signing, I hope he will add some bite to our midfield.With Sisoko back at training and now Mascherano, what could the odds be?The Premiership title or Champions league?
      paggsy503
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #6: Jan 30, 2007 10:14:37 am
      If Masherano can hit a ball on the run, and hit the target, that will do me ! Sisoko can't do that. Sisoko is a good ball winner, but nothing more.  And  Masherano will have to wait for an injury, that's the only chance he has at the moment.  ;D
      Cy
      Reply #7: Jan 30, 2007 11:34:45 am
      I think it is a good signing too. That will gives us more option in the middle, the fact to join Liverpool is a good move for him. if he managed to get close to his real level, he will be a fantastic assets to us, giving us even more fire power and liberate Stevie even more.

the other point in my opinion is that with him signing with us, it will convinced lot's of people that WE ARE a great club (we know we are, but many top players might not seeing this as the case..). That might help other world class player to make their mind up in the future, and with the money who will come to us if the take over take place, I can see a real bright future for Liverpool FC...
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: Jan 30, 2007 12:10:11 pm
      In agreement a good signing that will give a competative edge to the position that momo sits in without resolve at the moment. Should make things very interesting if things go through.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #9: Jan 30, 2007 05:57:58 pm
      None of the above, i think he's a quality player given the chance and will have to earn his place like the rest of them  ;)   So possibly a big big signing but too soon to make any judgements.  ;)
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #10: Jan 30, 2007 07:18:19 pm
      Rafa has stated that he may shrine at Liverpool because we play a different style to West Ham and that he speaks Spanish.

A loan move for 18 months is defo a win win situation, as if he fails to make the grade then bye bye.
      I just hope that he does take this chance and puts pressure on the others.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #11: Jan 30, 2007 07:22:04 pm
      Mascherano's signing will probably see Rafa continue with his experimentation of the 3-centrebacks 2-wingbacks formation. He fielded this formation for Watford and tonight's West Ham which is having all 3 strikers in attack (Bellamy, Kuyt, Crouch). But I think Mascherano's arrival will see Rafa changing it to 2 strikers and 1 attacking midfielder which is ideally Stevie G. Therefore he'll have 2 defensive midfielders behind the attacking midfielder. He'll have Xabi, Momo and Mascherano at his disposal in this position. How effective this will be, I'm not too sure. And could also kill the wingers (Pennant, Gonzo etc.)

Whatever Rafa's plans are, the squad is strengthen with Mascherano's arrival as we enter the CL's latter stages. Welcome to Anfield, Javier!
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #12: Jan 30, 2007 07:40:44 pm
      I think that Javier would be great against Barca!!!!!!
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #13: Jan 30, 2007 07:46:33 pm
      Still not been announced by the offal.

The player was at Melwood today though - wonder what the hold up is? Maybe waiting till after the West Ham game??
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #14: Jan 30, 2007 09:54:16 pm
      They did mention he'll be paraded as a Red on Wednesday morning on sky sports early this morning.

He looks a more important signing now that Alonso is suspended for the Newcastle match (5 yellows).
      Yes Sissoko is back, but we will have quality on the bench (at least).
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #15: Jan 30, 2007 11:20:53 pm
      Got this off westhamfans.org

very amusing - AND YES YOU THICK WEST HAM tw*ts, we do think we have Davine right to sign the best (we've earned it)

Anybody who actually
      Submitted by Anonymous on 30 January, 2007 - 14:58.
      Anybody who actually believes that so called story from fvcking sky sports news about £18 million for Bent is a fvcking naive idiot, West Ham have not offered anything, it's all sh1t, either sky sports are making it up because they, like us, are bored, or some tw*t at Charlton has simply phoned his mate at sky to put a rediculous perceived value on him for other clubs to come in...this is classic journo-sh1t do not believe it West Ham fans. We are buying no more players this window. Get real. If we beat Liverscum tonight I'll eat my feet. We are in deep deep sh1te. I hope I'm wrong, I hope for nothing more than beating those arrogant scouse bas**rds who think it's their divine right to attract all the players they make offers for...I don't think I've ever felt so miserable about West Ham as now, only a win tonight can change that.
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #16: Jan 31, 2007 01:13:57 am
      Got this off westhamfans.org

very amusing - AND YES YOU THICK WEST HAM tw*ts, we do think we have Davine right to sign the best (we've earned it)

Anybody who actually
      Submitted by Anonymous on 30 January, 2007 - 14:58.
      Anybody who actually believes that so called story from fvcking sky sports news about £18 million for Bent is a fvcking naive idiot, West Ham have not offered anything, it's all sh1t, either sky sports are making it up because they, like us, are bored, or some tw*t at Charlton has simply phoned his mate at sky to put a rediculous perceived value on him for other clubs to come in...this is classic journo-sh1t do not believe it West Ham fans. We are buying no more players this window. Get real. If we beat Liverscum tonight I'll eat my feet. We are in deep deep sh1te. I hope I'm wrong, I hope for nothing more than beating those arrogant scouse bas**rds who think it's their divine right to attract all the players they make offers for...I don't think I've ever felt so miserable about West Ham as now, only a win tonight can change that.
      Do think this West Ham fan is a tad upset? Never mind eh  :o
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #17: Jan 31, 2007 08:35:27 am
      Oh well at least he's still got his feet !!  ;) ;D
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 31, 2007 09:32:37 am
      Looks like he will sign today

Liverpool have been given permission by Fifa to sign West Ham outcast Javier Mascherano.

A deal between Liverpool and West Ham to take Mascherano to Anfield had been agreed, but the move was being upheld by Fifa's transfer regulations

The Reds petitioned the game's governing body to sign Mascherano even though the Argentine has already played for two clubs in the past 12 months.

Fifa rules permit any player turning out for more than two clubs over a one-year period between 1st July and 30th June the following year.

However, Liverpool claimed that the player should be allowed to move on as he does not figure in West Ham's plans and Fifa have granted them special dispensation to push through a deal for the former River Plate ace.

A statement from Fifa read: "After due consideration of all aspects, the Fifa single judge ruled that 'upon registration for Liverpool FC during the present registration period, the player Javier Mascherano is eligible to play in official matches with the said club with immediate effect'."

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has been determined to sign Mascherano and he is now set to finalise a move for the defensive midfielder before the close of the transfer window.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007 09:34:02 am by davie t »
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #19: Jan 31, 2007 10:09:16 am
      just waiting for the premier league to allow it. should be a formality me thinks. anyone heard anything about how much a permanent transfer would be or is that not on the agenda?

imagine if he performs to his world class best then west ham sell him to the chavs for 30 mill in 18 months!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #20: Jan 31, 2007 10:29:14 am
      just waiting for the premier league to allow it. should be a formality me thinks. anyone heard anything about how much a permanent transfer would be or is that not on the agenda?

imagine if he performs to his world class best then west ham sell him to the chavs for 30 mill in 18 months!

I'm sure there must be a clause in his contract stopping that !!  We do all the coaching and the Hammers get the benefit ?  I think Rafa will have thought of that already    ;)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #21: Jan 31, 2007 02:53:21 pm
      Doesnt the EPL have to have a respone back to Liverpool by midnight tonight??
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #22: Jan 31, 2007 10:45:17 pm
      Doesnt the EPL have to have a respone back to Liverpool by midnight tonight??

just heard off sky sports news that the EPL are still awaiting the paperwork off Liverpool.
      as long as they get the paperwork by midnight, there shouldn't be a problem.
      why oh why do we drag our heels over everything !!!
      The EPL are still awaiting one last piece of paperwork, everything else is in and has been passed.
      1hour 15 mins left.
      Liverpool are confident in sealing this deal tho'
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007 10:46:39 pm by mrtommo »

Quick Reply