Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

England National Football Team

Read 359109 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #2415: Jun 29, 2016 10:12:27 pm
      Hodgson has left such a pointless vacuous legacy that even Gareth Southgate has apparently ruled himself out of the job, even on an interim job. Nice one Roy. This really is your finest f**k up yet.

Maybe the FA will appoint a special guest manager for each match like they do with presenters on Have I Got News For You. But in the end, despite all the talk and promises of a 'new direction' we all know they're going to appoint this guy...

That may be the greatest animated gif ever.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2416: Jun 29, 2016 10:33:40 pm
      Ian Holloway all the way! They would probably still be rubbish, but at least there would be something funny and entertaining about the English Team (apart from their hilarious defeats, of course)

I think we have had 4 years of fun we need a football manager now not COCO the Clown
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #2417: Jun 30, 2016 03:07:30 am
      Woy is/was 99.99999% of the problem.

As the highest paid manager in the tournament, these fundamental problems are crimes against football.

1. Going to the Tournament without knowing his best 11 was problem #1 thats always a bad sign.

2. We played a Converted CB (Dier) and a Converted striker (Rooney) as our MAIN Center Midfielders. Terrible. There was no reason for this apart from poor squad selections

3. Strikers taking corners.

4. Strikers playing as wingers Vardy and Sturridge are not wingers! I never want to see danny coming so deep that he's taking the ball of one of our centre backs. Thats not where he's useful.

5. Blind loyality to Harry Kane. He was not affective. Our squad has an abundance of pace. Why not use it?

6. Snobbery against smaller clubs. It seems other top international countries have no problem with playing players who play for west ham, soton, leicester etc. I fully believe Vardy would be in the first team and drinkwater would be in this squad if they played for spurs.

7. Liverpool fans knew this was going to happen.
      Its funny cause when we finally sacked him we got all the heat from the media for being 'harsh' to a 'good man' who was 'respected in world football' but we knew he was rubbish. Now they all wanna analyse his tactics ;D its a bit too late for that mate! we tried to warn you!.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #2418: Jun 30, 2016 02:10:44 pm
      Rashford is a Utd player.. but that's not the only reason why I aim a dig in his direction..

The whole idea of Roy taking an unproven young player to the tournament just showed exactly how bad the tournament was going to unfold. It was the beginning of the end. It was classic England. The lad may be good in the future (he was in fact fairly decent in moments when he played) but right now he is not an England player. However, selecting him in the squad just showed the mentality of Roy and the England setup.

There was no need for him. We had 3 other Strikers plus Rooney. That spot could have been used for someone like Drinkwater that gets mentioned above. Selecting Rashford just showed the desperation of the England mindset - always looking for the next "star" and labelling them "world class" before they even reach beyond "average". We saw it with that Januzaj. He had one good game in the PL, and England were ready to fight Belgium for him.  :f_steam: He was our future. He was incredible. He failed miserably and is no where to be seen. Now it's Rashford.

Instead of selecting proper decent players who can have a real impact in the games, we select players on a whim. This is why Roy had no idea who the team was, because all through his 100% incredible record (with Rooney smashing the records along the way) against shockingly bad opposition, Roy was randomly selecting the next England star. Anyone who had a half decent run of games was being capped for England.

Now is not the time for Rashford. Arguably Alli too - who had an awful tournament. Does my head in watching the next young player being painted up to be something he ain't. The future for England is not bright at all.

There is genuinely no point in bothering about the Russia World Cup. On the flip side, a great opportunity for England to take time to focus on selecting a long term manager and a proper setup. There is no rush. We have nothing to play for right now. Not for a few years yet!!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2419: Jun 30, 2016 03:20:25 pm
      Don't think it's as bleak as all that, the problem was Roy from the start, we all knew it.
      Some of his choices during this tournament were off the scale for wtfness. Kane on corners, set pieces ????
      Sturridge as  winger and almost wing back what the hell!!! What a waste.
      Criminal behaviour as far as I'm concerned, Our midfield was just pathetic, fat Rooney as a what? A nomad chubby smurf?
      etc.

I wanted Harry ages ago, is he still arsed about working? If so, they should apologise and approach him, he's been the best English manager for developing players I can remember in recent(ish) times. He's getting on now though, so I don't know if he has the energy or desire to do it after being overlooked.

All I care about is Liverpool really in football terms, so it really won't affect me that much, but it'd be nice to not feel embarrassed with all the money English payers earn in comparison to other leagues.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2420: Jun 30, 2016 06:35:01 pm

This was a massive downfall for Woy.

1) He said Kane was taking the set pieces because he was the best at striking the ball in the team
      2) Dier took a free kick and buried it into the top corner, don't think he took another set piece after that.
      3) In the following game Woy fielded the same line up but this time Rooney was taking the set pieces. Erm, but thought Kane was the best at striking the ball?...
      4) Kane is then back on set pieces and now has gotten worse since thinking he will try and use Bale's technique

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2421: Jun 30, 2016 08:19:39 pm
      Resigning after the game and then shrugging when asked questions with 'I'm not the manager anymore' ... ?! what is that about. Personally lost respect for him after that, as a man.
      Whatever about the performance, and it was poor, you can't just run for the hills afterward. Don't like the feeding frenzy that it can turn into, but he's VERY well compensated, and it comes with the job. To try spin it that he's moved on and so should everyone else, smacks of a lack of fight, something also missing from the players (looks like he taught them something!).
      A good manager of average sides, but doesn't have a clue what to do with, or manage, 'big' players.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2422: Jun 30, 2016 09:07:47 pm
      You still had respect for him? As a man or manager?

As a manager?

He's bollocks, I think as a nation now we're agreed.

As a man?

There's a thread on here somewhere with quotes off him where he basically does the same shitey shothouse bollocks. I've searched but it was from years ago and I can't find it but suffice to say he's always been the same.

It's a cliche but he does just strike me as a harmless Uncle, the kinda chap who would charm yer granny, never thought he could manage at the 'top' level, and was over his head at LFC. But never got down in the weeds slagging him off personally. Not an inspirational type, or a 'leader of men' in the sense I'd expect it, but thought he had more about him then to do something as cowardly as he has done, jumping the sinking ship before the rats even knew what was happening.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2423: Jun 30, 2016 10:10:41 pm
      I reckon Klinsmann would be a good choice, but I feel it'll be someone English like Arry or Hoddle.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #2424: Jun 30, 2016 10:22:09 pm
      I actually can't stand the national team after so many sh*t managers, crap showings at major tournaments and all of the media circus that surrounds it. Horrible.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #2425: Jun 30, 2016 11:02:29 pm
      Personally lost respect for him after that, as a man.

Only now!

Lost respect for the shithouse when he slagged of our fans for protesting against G & H.

c**t of a man!

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #2426: Jul 01, 2016 12:59:00 am
      The thing I don't understand about the England team is the recriminations when they don't win or worse. Surely the proof is in the pudding. You get what you deserve in football (in the long term at least). If England were a contender then they would have a better record. That they don't says it all.

I understand saying they could maybe do better given the money in the EPL but that is a moot point. In reality there is no reason to think they are not achieving their potential. They are just not a good footballing side and haven't been for quite a few years.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2427: Jul 01, 2016 01:57:59 am
      Ian Holloway all the way! They would probably still be rubbish, but at least there would be something funny and entertaining about the English Team (apart from their hilarious defeats, of course)

house.stones.glass.

Dunga says hi.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2428: Jul 01, 2016 02:17:41 am
      house.stones.glass.

Dunga says hi.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Well, in his only World Cup as a manager, Dunga reached the quarter finals. In Brazil, that's considered a failure, which is why he was sacked. In England, he would probably have got an extension!

By the way, Brazil's current manager is Tite.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2429: Jul 01, 2016 02:20:31 am
      Well, in his only World Cup as a manager, Dunga reached the quarter finals. In Brazil, that's considered a failure, which is why he was sacked. In England, he would probably have got an extension!

Shows how much I know/care.

How did Brasil go in the Copa America.  ;)

I hear Peru is a lovely place to visit.  ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2430: Jul 01, 2016 02:20:57 am

Is there anybody that Tite hasn't managed? :D Just checked him out on the good ol' Wiki.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2431: Jul 01, 2016 02:23:16 am
      Shows how much I know/care.

How did Brasil go in the Copa America.  ;)

I hear Peru is a lovely place to visit.  ;D

Never been there, but definitely want to visit Machu Picchu! ;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2432: Jul 01, 2016 02:24:37 am
      Is there anybody that Tite hasn't managed? :D Just checked him out on the good ol' Wiki.

haha such is life of a Brazilian manager!

He's done an absolutely brilliant job with Corinthians though, he was the only Brazilian manager worthy of the job - if was either him or a foreigner, but CBF are too conservative at this point to pick a non-Brazilian to the job...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2433: Jul 01, 2016 02:26:58 am
      Never been there, but definitely want to visit Machu Picchu! ;)

I have friends who have been there and say it's fantastic.

But I digress, houses, throw, stones and glass.

England are crap tho'.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2434: Jul 01, 2016 10:21:54 am
      who would manage this team when the press decide who should play. I tried hard to muster enthusiasm for this tournament but it sort of died completely after 10 mins of the Iceland game I will not be watching again.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2435: Jul 01, 2016 11:38:32 am
      better not be sam allardyce. I won't watch England under him
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2436: Jul 01, 2016 02:38:28 pm
      As much as Hodgeson is a clusterfuck of a manager, it's not as if these players are unbelievably talented. They, like the Premier League itself, are massively overrated, not to mention they have to be the mentally softest group at the Euros. Too many go into hiding and too many buckle under pressure. You know that cliche that when the going gets tough, the tough get going? England don't have any tough players.

The deficiencies of English football get exposed every tournament. The culture is too focused on altheticism opposed to technique and tactics. Look at Italy. From a talent standpoint, this is one of their lower quality sides, but I guarantee you every player in that squad has a brain because they've been educated in Serie A -- a hugely tactical league. Germany is always a favorite because their youth system trains them physically and mentally -- read "Das Reboot" by Raphael Honigstein to get the full story about training and schooling.

Now, add in an idiot like Hodgeson, who thinks a 6'2" Harry Kane should be taking corners instead of being in the box, and it all comes crumbling down without a whimper.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2437: Jul 01, 2016 06:32:55 pm

Mate, you can get humiliated in the group stages of the World Cup and still be allowed to stay on for another couple of years as England manager to then get humiliated again.

Quick Reply