Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Fulham v Liverpool (Premiership - 5th May 2007)

Read 5193 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6926 
      Fulham v Liverpool (Premiership - 5th May 2007)
      May 04, 2007 09:25:03 pm

Craven Cottage @ 3pm

Benitez says:

"We want to finish third and we'll field teams we feel can win.

"I understand concerns of other clubs, but we have our priorities and lots of teams in the division will be fielding different players in the final games."

Sanchez says:

"People are talking about the effect Liverpool playing their second leg of their Champions League semi-final match will have on them.

"But I don't think they'll be less up for it, even if they don't have much to play for in Premiership.

"I'm certain that it will be a hard game - that's how the Premiership is."

LIVERPOOL have managed five top three finishes in their 14 Premiership seasons prior to this. They go into this penultimate League match, and last on the road, one point ahead of Arsenal in fourth. They are already guaranteed a place in the qualifying rounds for the next seasons Champions League, but Rafael Benitez will want his side to go directly into the group stages by beating AC Milan and winning the competition for the second time in three seasons on 23 May.

The Merseysiders missed the opportunity to become the fourth club to top 1,000 Premier League points, when beaten away to Portsmouth last Saturday. Currently on 998 points, a maximum at Craven Cottage will see them joining Manchester United (1,228 points), Arsenal (1,079) and Chelsea (1,010) on four figures.

The Reds have won four of the last five Premiership matches against Fulham, scoring a total of 16 goals in the quartet. The Merseysiders dominated the first half of this season's reverse fixture, but needed a three goal blitz in 12 second-half minutes to seal the points. They eventually won 4-0 and are now looking to 'double' the Cottagers for the second time in three seasons.

Peter CROUCH is Liverpool's top scorer with 18 goals.

Dirk KUYT is the club's leading marksman in the Premiership with 12.

If named in the 11, Sami HYYPIA will be making his 400th start in a Liverpool shirt.

If he plays, Steve FINNAN will be facing a former club. The Republic of Ireland international midfielder made 207 appearances (172 in the League) and scored seven goals (six League) for the Cottagers between November 1998 and his £3.5m move to Anfield in July 2003.

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME
      Fulham 2-0 Liverpool
      22 October 2005 - Ref: Martin Atkinson
      Fulham scorers: John 30, Boa Morte 90

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE
      Liverpool 4-0 Fulham
      9 December 2006 - Ref: Uriah Rennie
      Liverpool scorers: Gerrard 54, Carragher 61, Luis Garcia 66, Gonzalez 90

(Info from BBC Sport)
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Fulham v Liverpool (Premiership - 5th May 2007)
      Reply #1: May 04, 2007 09:27:56 pm
      Going myself tomorrow, one of my mates on another forum has come up with a couple of spares.

Give you my match report after
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #2: May 05, 2007 10:57:55 am
      Can see Rafa resting a few players again but we should see Fulham off hope Robbie gets to play in last 2 league games grabbing a few possibly before he leaves.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: May 05, 2007 11:55:22 am
      Going myself tomorrow, one of my mates on another forum has come up with a couple of spares.

Give you my match report after

Been let down, mate can't get down to London, having to watch it in the pub  :(
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #4: May 05, 2007 02:20:20 pm
      Been let down, mate can't get down to London, having to watch it in the pub  :(

Ah I take it you are a fellow southern supporter? I had planned to try for this game too but can't go...no i didn't have tickets.

Do you try & see as many London games as possible or occasional?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: May 05, 2007 02:24:12 pm
      Ah I take it you are a fellow southern supporter? I had planned to try for this game too but can't go...no I didn't have tickets.

Do you try & see as many London games as possible or occasional?

I try to get to as many as possible, and now that I'm back on the road again will be getting to more games at Anfield
      love_inter
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #6: May 05, 2007 04:48:58 pm
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: May 05, 2007 05:08:14 pm
      ^^ Thanks for those clips :D

I'm not too bothered about the score, although Fulham will be like "yay we beat Liverpool" - good 3 points for them I guess. We did what we needed to do and rested our key players. I know the CL final is 2 and a half weeks away but I think getting rest is important, but obv they need to keep up their fitness. Nice to see Fowler getting to play, before he most likely leaves us :(

PS JD your avatar - I thought Rafa was so cute when he was sitting down!! Do you know why he did it?
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2007 05:08:49 pm by Nicola »
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #8: May 05, 2007 05:18:01 pm
      Just watched the game on streaming and disappointing.....Kewell came on..oh my god!

Rafa sat down the other night so fans behind could see the shoot out.....what a guy!!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: May 05, 2007 05:31:49 pm
      What does "oh my god!" about Kewell mean? Was he sh*te??

Isit? Awww Rafa ;D
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #10: May 05, 2007 06:09:36 pm
      pwpappapapapapapapapapap a diop papa
      what a loads of bullplop good to see kewell back but we were sh*te
      we need a cup of tea
      once again paletta was crap i hope the next young centre half we buy is good we should get vicent kompany or jimmy bull
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2007 06:13:49 pm by camara14 »
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #11: May 05, 2007 06:57:08 pm
      Bad News ........................ ........................ ....... :o :o ::) ::) :damn: :throw:

Injuries:"I have four players injured," said Rafa. "Pepe Reina has a shoulder problem, Mark Gonzalez and Alvaro Arbeloa have ankle problems and Momo Sissoko has a knee injury. We will have to wait and see how they all are."

RAFA
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12: May 05, 2007 07:16:00 pm
       :sadlook: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Reina can't be injured!!! He must get better and match fit for the final!!
      afif212_reds
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 180 posts |
      Reply #13: May 05, 2007 07:23:10 pm
      :( oooo noooooo!!!!
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #14: May 05, 2007 08:37:08 pm
      Technical analysis of this game, as usual, second to none.

I was at a wedding but looks like I didn't miss much of a game.  I certainly hope Kewell doesn't even think he's getting a flight to Athens.

Worrying.  Are players not playing for their place anymore.  We certainly have the squad to be able to beat Fulham away - European Cup Final or no European Cup Final. 

I, frankly, am extremely disappointed at the last two league results.  A winning mentality needs to be developed throughout the entire team.  This just saps confidence. 

Pick it up Rafa. Get the players sweating on their places FFS.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: May 05, 2007 11:30:12 pm
      thanks for those clips ::)...I can't believe Robbie missed that sitter :throw:.....and Jabba, I agree mate, even if we did play a pretty much reserve team...we still had abit of quality out there...we should be beating sides like this for fun....very disappointed. Surely the players must know that they are playing for there chance to play in Athens ???
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #16: May 05, 2007 11:34:38 pm
      No excuse for getting beat by Fulham, it really does sum up our season (domestic wise).

There should be no more room for error next season.

No matter what side we fielded, at least come away with a point.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #17: May 06, 2007 02:40:38 pm
      Yet again we fail to take our chances although we had a weakened team out it was still good enough to beat fulham,if Michael Brown had been sent off it would have been a different story.

Quick Reply