Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 375229 times
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #2162: Jan 28, 2015 12:29:59 pm
      i echo what FL red said, we (LFC FANS0 pile so much pressure and any player that comes into our side especially young and exciting players as we demand success. Hes still learning the game but if you compare his importance to the sides attacking option he's 2nd next to Sturridge as our biggest threat so deserves to be on the wages to reflect this. i think the top earner should be the Captain closely followed by the star of the team then in order of importance. so for me top earner Hendo, then sturridge, then Sterling and coutinho(same wages) then probably Lucas,skrtel all in the 100k a week bracket. the rest should all be then around the same flat rate pushing to get into the top earners wages
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2163: Jan 28, 2015 12:52:54 pm
      What does that even mean? So because he is 20 his play shouldn't be judged to the same standard of someone that's say 24 or 25? Because if that's the case then maybe he doesn't need the huge contract anyway...I mean, let's not forget he's only 20!

But getting into the right positions doesn't really do you any good if you don't capitalize on them does it? And it certainly doesn't help us to win games. He may as well be in the wrong positions if he's not going to capitalize on getting into the right ones...the outcome is the same either way.

Laughable :roll: :roll:

How many 20 year old's can you name that are leading the line at a top club? It's not his natural position but yet he's taking the brunt of it because there's nobody else remotely capable or available.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #2164: Jan 28, 2015 01:27:48 pm
      Laughable :roll: :roll:

How many 20 year old's can you name that are leading the line at a top club? It's not his natural position but yet he's taking the brunt of it because there's nobody else remotely capable or available.

It's not laughable. It doesn't matter how many other 20 year olds are doing it. THat's nothign to do with Sterling's performance for our club.

Last season everyone was quick to crown him and laud his performances when he was banging in goals (thanks in large part to Suarez always setting him up) but now we have to handle him with kid gloves.

Well if you have to be handled with kid gloves then you also don't get a 150k per week contract.

You can't have it both ways. If you want the big money, then you have to be willing to bear the brunt of the pressure regardless of where your coach has you playing.

Can is playing CB which is NOT his normal position and he's doing a wonderful job. And how old is he?

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2165: Jan 28, 2015 01:40:50 pm
      I'm amazed the lad is kopping criticism in here at all to be honest. So what he hasn't signed a new contract yet, is that why he is getting flak? He's one of the most wanted young players in the WORLD. No he isn't Messi but he has incredibly high ceiling and as much potential as any other young player outthere that I can think of. All the top clubs would be in for him so pay him what he is worth. Maybe posters should direct any anger or frustration to the FSG thread rather than this one? Once again FSG turning fans into accountants again. I get fed up of it.

Didn't have his best game last night, was very much the sacrificial lone forward for much of the game BUT if Henderson directs that simple header anywhere on target then we are all talking about that bit of magic and skill to beat a player, get to the byline and float a deft chip across the box for the goal.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2166: Jan 28, 2015 02:07:19 pm
      It's not laughable. It doesn't matter how many other 20 year olds are doing it. THat's nothign to do with Sterling's performance for our club.

Last season everyone was quick to crown him and laud his performances when he was banging in goals (thanks in large part to Suarez always setting him up) but now we have to handle him with kid gloves.

Well if you have to be handled with kid gloves then you also don't get a 150k per week contract.

You can't have it both ways. If you want the big money, then you have to be willing to bear the brunt of the pressure regardless of where your coach has you playing.

Can is playing CB which is NOT his normal position and he's doing a wonderful job. And how old is he?

He was lauded for his natural ability as a WINGER - you know...his favoured position :roll:. And whose to say his tally won't rise when Sturridge is back to feed off one another? How long did it take for Henry to adapt and at what age?

I think you'll find that nearly all precocious talents have to be handled with kid gloves?

Is Can not still adapting? Did he not show his naivety in his new role when he gave away that penalty?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #2167: Jan 28, 2015 02:26:42 pm
      He was lauded for his natural ability as a WINGER - you know...his favoured position :roll:. And whose to say his tally won't rise when Sturridge is back to feed off one another? How long did it take for Henry to adapt and at what age?

I think you'll find that nearly all precocious talents have to be handled with kid gloves?

Is Can not still adapting? Did he not show his naivety in his new role when he gave away that penalty?

Point is you are trying to say Sterling deserves a contract befitting someone that's an established star, but then if he's expected to be that established star you make excuses for why he isn't.

It can't be both. If he wants the money and accolades (which I don't know if he does to be honest because all we have is rumor and heresay) then he has to be willing to take the criticism and the pressure.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2168: Jan 28, 2015 02:35:51 pm
      Point is you are trying to say Sterling deserves a contract befitting someone that's an established star, but then if he's expected to be that established star you make excuses for why he isn't.

It can't be both. If he wants the money and accolades (which I don't know if he does to be honest because all we have is rumor and heresay) then he has to be willing to take the criticism and the pressure.

What I would say is this; nobody is really sure as to what his wage demands are but, would you really begrudge him parity to someone like Balo? Does the "established star" Balotelli deserve his wage?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #2169: Jan 28, 2015 03:59:07 pm
      I'm amazed the lad is kopping criticism in here at all to be honest. So what he hasn't signed a new contract yet, is that why he is getting flak? He's one of the most wanted young players in the WORLD. No he isn't Messi but he has incredibly high ceiling and as much potential as any other young player outthere that I can think of. All the top clubs would be in for him so pay him what he is worth. Maybe posters should direct any anger or frustration to the FSG thread rather than this one? Once again FSG turning fans into accountants again. I get fed up of it.

Didn't have his best game last night, was very much the sacrificial lone forward for much of the game BUT if Henderson directs that simple header anywhere on target then we are all talking about that bit of magic and skill to beat a player, get to the byline and float a deft chip across the box for the goal.

It's not that though is it? If he was making assists and scoring goals like a 150k a week player then nobody would be moaning about his wage. What people are pissed off about is that he isn't producing the goods that warrant a massive wage increase.

And in my opinion, until he does start regularly producing... His wage should reflect that. Yes he might still be developing and yes he might have massive potential but there has got to be a limit.

I think his breakthrough last year went to his head and he thinks he is better than he actually is.

Also if he was a little less greedy last night you could argue that gerrard would have been in and put us one up
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #2170: Jan 28, 2015 05:47:12 pm
      What I would say is this; nobody is really sure as to what his wage demands are but, would you really begrudge him parity to someone like Balo? Does the "established star" Balotelli deserve his wage?

Isn't Balo on something like 80k?

I honestly don't know but I thought he had taken a pay cut to come here. I'm not begrudging Sterling anything, he is well within his rights to get the best deal he can. But I am also within my rights to criticize his output with respect to what he is getting paid (or wants to be paid).

All I am saying (at least I think it's all I'm saying) is that at the end of the day, if Sterling wants to be paid 120k or 150k or whatever, then he deserves not only the accolades for his good play, but also the criticism if he doesn't play to that "standard".

No it's not his fault that he's being played "out of position" but it doesn't stop people from criticizing Stevie, Can, Lucas, Hendo or anyone else even though at different times they've produced less than stellar results "out of position".

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,223 posts | 2804 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2171: Jan 28, 2015 06:12:09 pm
      It's like saying Ronaldo isn't the best in the world after winning the Ballon D'or. Sterling is seen as the best young player in Europe because he was voted as European Golden Boy.

Alan pardew once won manager of the year doesn't mean he was

He has huge potential but is he handing in performances week in week out to deserve or expect mega wages? I don't care what arsenal or Utd pay there young players I care about us giving into the greedy demands of a kid who when he gets what he wants will then want more in 2 years.

Very very replaceable young man in my view. I'd love him to accept a wage deserving of his return to the team and as he progresses let him earn more but to jump to a huge wage now I believe is wrong and unwarranted
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2172: Jan 28, 2015 09:11:22 pm
      It's not that though is it? If he was making assists and scoring goals like a 150k a week player then nobody would be moaning about his wage. What people are pissed off about is that he isn't producing the goods that warrant a massive wage increase.

And in my opinion, until he does start regularly producing... His wage should reflect that. Yes he might still be developing and yes he might have massive potential but there has got to be a limit.

I think his breakthrough last year went to his head and he thinks he is better than he actually is.

Also if he was a little less greedy last night you could argue that gerrard would have been in and put us one up

But it's not as simple as that. It's a free market out there, if anyone of the big clubs out there came in and agreed a deal to sign Sterling he would command wages of that ilk and then some. I know I'm speculating but I reckon that it's as close to a fact as you can get. If we really are serious about being back at the top table (and i'm not sure we are, we sell our best player every three years after all) then we wouldn't be pussy footing around with contracts for players like Sterling. Can anyone envisage Chelsea or the skum taking so long or having their offers knocked back? I can't. Look at the fookin mess they made of the skippers contract, total pigs ear. Didn't even think to offer the bloody thing until November and that was only after the skipper was embarrassed enough to admit to the press that nothing had been fourth-coming. Frankly I am amazed that any of our fans think this is the way to do business as a top top club. We're sat here applauding the owners, make him prove his worth, he doesn't deserve the money etc. He is one of the brightest young talents in Europe. It's not open to debate its a fact. Pay him what he's worth and start acting like a club who have serious aspirations to be at the top rather than just talking about it.

And as for Raheems' performances on the pitch. Again i'm surprised at the criticism. He has had a good season so far. Not easy in a side that for more then 3 months was playing football on par with the dross served up by Hodgson and Ged in his final season at the club. I believe has 7-8 goals to his name thus far and with the hopeful re-introduction of an actual proper forward I fancy he may get to 20 for the season which won't be too shabby.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #2173: Jan 28, 2015 09:20:45 pm
      Let's not forget that he's only just turned 20 FFS. He's trying to adapt to being a sole striker, a position he's not used to. Yeah, his final decision maybe letting him down, but at least he's getting into the right positions.

I'd love to know as to how many 'prolific' 20 year old's you can name in top flight football?

I know he is not 20 right now but if you look up Neymars stats from 2013 then you'll see the stats of a world class player who commands top money. When sterling hits even half of one of his totals then maybe he can command a great deal.

He is way too over rated by our fans
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #2174: Jan 28, 2015 09:59:44 pm
      I know he is not 20 right now but if you look up Neymars stats from 2013 then you'll see the stats of a world class player who commands top money. When sterling hits even half of one of his totals then maybe he can command a great deal.

In 2013/14, at the age of 21, Neymar scored 9 goals in La Liga from 26 appearances.
      In 2013/14, at the age of 19, Sterling scored 9 goals in the Premier League from 33 appearances, playing predominantly on the side or behind SAS.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #2175: Jan 28, 2015 10:09:59 pm
      In 2013/14, at the age of 21, Neymar scored 9 goals in La Liga from 26 appearances.
      In 2013/14, at the age of 19, Sterling scored 9 goals in the Premier League from 33 appearances, playing predominantly on the side or behind SAS.

Take a look at this little article from the barca site mate. http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/article/neymar-300-matches-as-a-professional-footballer

Also between Barcelona, Santos and Brazil during 2013/2014 he played 65 games in total scoring 34 goals and providing 29 assists
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2176: Jan 28, 2015 10:24:20 pm

To be fair Neymar at Sterlings age was playing in a much easier division.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2177: Jan 28, 2015 10:25:07 pm
      To be fair Neymar at Sterlings age was playing in a much easier division.

One is also a natural striker and finisher too. They're nothing like the same apart from they're tricky players.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2178: Jan 28, 2015 11:04:58 pm
      One is also a natural striker and finisher too. They're nothing like the same apart from they're tricky players.

Couldn't agree more.

Also, just want to mention, once Sterling drops to that second #10 role (has he played in a #10 role this season?) with Sturridge ahead of him, he'll be immense. I think this formation accommodates both Sterling and Coutinho, allowing them to play in their best position, bringing out the best in them. What makes it perfect too, they're both different types of #10s. I really can't wait!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2179: Jan 28, 2015 11:11:03 pm
      Needs to learn to not be so selfish at times. I still can't believe he didn't lay that ball  of for Stevie to score.

He must have been told that at HT because I noticed he did lay off a couple in the second half, when I was expecting him to try to do it all himself.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #2180: Jan 28, 2015 11:15:46 pm
      Just give him the 100k a week, with Gerrard off next season who exactly is going to be the face of the marketing machine. He will more than make that money back from shirt sales in the next few years.

I don't personally think any 20yr old is worth that amount of money but if it's all about business at the end of the day then you you just have to go along with the flow or get left behind.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2181: Jan 29, 2015 07:48:41 am
      Just give him the 100k a week, with Gerrard off next season who exactly is going to be the face of the marketing machine. He will more than make that money back from shirt sales in the next few years.

I don't personally think any 20yr old is worth that amount of money but if it's all about business at the end of the day then you you just have to go along with the flow or get left behind.

This all day. It's all relative. Yes it's silly money but in football terms he is worth it all day long. I don't understand why some fans can't see this.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2182: Jan 29, 2015 08:27:23 am
      When will we ever learn? Sterling is the best young player in Europe, yet still as fans we get on his back and as a club we drag our feet on paying him what he is unquestionably worth. Ultimately, as a club and as a fan base I guess we'll get what we deserve.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #2183: Jan 29, 2015 10:44:34 am
      When will we ever learn? Sterling is the best young player in Europe, yet still as fans we get on his back and as a club we drag our feet on paying him what he is unquestionably worth. Ultimately, as a club and as a fan base I guess we'll get what we deserve.

I do understand the clubs reluctance in offering him such an astronomical contract. £100k per week is a substantial amount for any football player, let alone someone who has only recently turned 20 years of age. I can however see the argument from both sides. From the FSG side, one of their key values is to not overpay for anyone whether that's through a transfer fee or through their wages. With Raheem only being 20 years old, you would have to wonder just what he will be earning if he makes it to the top of his game at the age of 25. I would suspect anywhere in excess of £250k per week. This is not taking into account the significant increases in tv revenue by then. So I understand this hesitancy in offering Raheem 100k p/w. It violates the economically driven wage structure that the Americans are so passionate about. Furthermore, if a 20 year old is earning such wages, everyone will then be knocking on Brendan's door saying "what about me?"

On the other hand, Raheem is a very special talent and is arguably the hottest young prospect in European football. These players come round once in a blue moon and you have to do your utmost to ensure that they are still playing for the club. Whilst at the age of 25, Sturridge is the top dog here and is only on 80k per week, we have to remember that he had a difficult start to his career. His early football career contrasted significantly to Raheems. He was struggling to find any consistency in his performances and playing time. City didn't want him, and at Chelsea he was used on the wings whereby the ineffective Drogba and Torres got the priority in attack. Daniel Sturridge has blossomed late and this will explain his low wages relative to his age and footballing ability. Raheem on the other hand has walked into a top football team by the mere age of 17. He has been a regular since and everyone is making a fuss about him. I cannot blame him for wanting the wages he is in demand of. Offer him that contract and worry another day about the contract that follows that. Maybe He'll be a Real Madrid player by then, who knows. But while we offer him a new contract, let's make sure one of our most important players, Philippe Coutinho (who time and again has expressed his desire to remain at this club), is offered a new and improved contract.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2184: Jan 29, 2015 11:01:01 am
      I do understand the clubs reluctance in offering him such an astronomical contract. £100k per week is a substantial amount for any football player, let alone someone who has only recently turned 20 years of age.i I can however see the argument from both sides. From the FSG side, one of their key values is to not overpay for anyone whether that's through a transfer fee or through their wages. With Raheem only being 20 years old, you would have to wonder just what he will be earning if he makes it to the top of his game at the age of 25. I would suspect anywhere in excess of £250k per week. This is not taking into account the significant increases in tv revenue by then. So I understand this hesitancy in offering Raheem 100k p/w. It violates the economically driven wage structure that the Americans are so passionate about. Furthermore, if a 20 year old is earning such wages, everyone will then be knocking on Brendan's door saying "what about me?"

On the other hand, Raheem is a very special talent and is arguably the hottest young prospect in European football. These players come round once in a blue moon and you have to do your utmost to ensure that they are still playing for the club. Whilst at the age of 25, Sturridge is the top dog here and is only on 80k per week, we have to remember that he had a difficult start to his career. His early football career contrasted significantly to Raheems. He was struggling to find any consistency in his performances and playing time. City didn't want him, and at Chelsea he was used on the wings whereby the ineffective Drogba and Torres got the priority in attack. Daniel Sturridge has blossomed late and this will explain his low wages relative to his age and footballing ability. Raheem on the other hand has walked into a top football team by the mere age of 17. He has been a regular since and everyone is making a fuss about him. I cannot blame him for wanting the wages he is in demand of. Offer him that contract and worry another day about the contract that follows that. Maybe He'll be a Real Madrid player by then, who knows. But while we offer him a new contract, let's make sure one of our most important players, Philippe Coutinho (who time and again has expressed his desire to remain at this club), is offered a new and improved contract.

Studge is on way more than £80k since he signed his new deal last sept and I'd expect Cou to be offered a similar deal in his contract extension.   

I've no idea where these figures of £120k-£150kpw figures have come from, I'm guessing like Chinese whispers it's been exaggerated as the last I heard he was wanting £100k not the £70k we'd offered. 

Quick Reply