Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

Echo warning over the new Chairman

Read 2824 times
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Echo warning over the new Chairman
      Jun 02, 2007 05:02:43 pm
      Chris Bascombe of the Echo looks like he is going to remain as impartial as ever. Good on him.

We’ve had the words – now it’s time for action

Jun 2 2007

by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

IF helping Liverpool reassert their credentials as Premiership challengers wasn’t enough motivation for George Gillett and Tom Hicks to flex their muscle at Anfield, they may have another reason to focus on their new purchase next season.

It seems the American owners aren’t feeling the love back home in Dallas and Montreal.

Their respective ice hockey and baseball teams have enjoyed under- whelming records in recent years, prompting cynicism in the United States and Canada about why they were so keen to move into English football.

Two columns published this week, one in the Montreal Gazette and the other in the Fort Worth Star Telegram, could only be described as damning.

The Star’s columnist, Jennifer Floyd Engel, was offended by Hicks’ claim in Athens that the fans of the Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars lack the passion of the Kop.

“If owner Hicks' Stateside teams were competing for championships in more than just theory, enthusiasm for them might follow,” she wrote.

“What is deliciously obtuse is how owner Hicks fails to recognise his role in the disintegration.

“Passion is not something that goes away overnight. Passion is something that is slowly sucked from a relationship by inattention.

“If owner Hicks wants Rangers and Stars fans to someday have the level of intense passion that Liverpool has, he needs to do a little romancing of them. Hire the right people. Spend money when needed.”

Commentaries on Gillett’s recent track record are no less critical.

Writing in Montreal’s local newspaper under the headline: “Gillett must invest in the Canadians,” Jack Todd penned the following:

“Gillett has owned the Canadians since Jan. 31, 2001 and in terms of on-ice accomplishment has little to show for his tenure as owner.

“Three times since Gillett took over, the Canadians have not made it to the Stanley Cup play-offs at all. Twice, in 2002 and 2004, they made it as far as the second round but no farther. That's it. Coach Guy Carbonneau might like to deliver to Gillett an ultimatum similar to that issued by Rafa Benitez – but Benitez has the juice and Carbonneau does not. All he can do is take what he is given in the way of players and try to make the most of it.

“Just as he did in Liverpool, Gillett mouths all the right words about sacred traditions. Then he sticks it to the fans, raising ticket prices for a team that isn't even good enough to make it into the play-offs.”

Two opinionated columns from writers who may or may not reflect broader public opinion are no reason to push the panic button, but with the focus this summer shifting firmly on whether Gillett and Hicks keep the promises they made when they charmed the socks off the public last February, let’s hope these observations aren’t a taste of what’s to come over here.

We should remember Benitez’s outburst on May 24 was as much a pre-emptive strike, warning of the consequences of not taking the right action as reminding everyone of why Liverpool’s recent track record in the Premiership demanded a change of ownership in the first place.

Such are the peculiarities of Liverpool fans’ psyche, negative vibes aren’t always welcome. The search for the truth is attractive, but when blemishes are exposed there are accusations of ‘washing dirty linen in public’.

The fact is if Liverpool go backwards over the next few years, the answer to the question: “Where did it all go wrong?” will be here and now.

Those involved in takeover talks at Anfield were told one of the conditions was a minimum of ÂŁ30m equity into the team.

One presumes the same terms applied to the new owners, although the timetable for spending this money would be an issue (it’s not much of a guarantee if the £30m is spent over five years).

The £8m on Lucas Leiva and £1.5m for the Hungarian teenagers is a start, but if Benitez isn’t sure what market he’s competing for players, you’re left to ponder whether those initial claims Liverpool would be competing for the likes of Samuel Eto’o belonged in the Beano rather than newspapers.

While Benitez was demanding action, Manchester United were spending ÂŁ52m on three players. Spot the difference.

The presumption of a huge kitty suited everyone’s agenda a few months ago. It still does, especially when season ticket renewal forms are in the post. Only when Benitez sits at a press conference flanked by players he didn’t have to sell others to buy, or who weren’t funded by the European winnings, will we know if anything has changed since David Moores sold his shares.

Gillett and Hicks have enjoyed nothing but goodwill since they arrived. It’s been a prolonged honeymoon, and if they back Benitez with the finances to sign top players this will continue.

They’re blameless for Liverpool’s current situation. Just as Hicks was right to say the co-owners would have deserved little credit had the Reds won the Champions League, they don’t deserve criticism for the situation now.

Day by day, hour by hour, however, the landscape changes.

They must share the responsibility with Benitez for transforming Liverpool into a title challenging team.

If Benitez doesn’t get the players he needs this summer, it won’t just be the columnists in Montreal and Dallas expressing their discontent. Sadly, by then, it will probably be too late.

EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Echo warning over the new Chairman
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2007 05:07:08 pm
      Trust Bascombe to tell it like it is :D

It's actually quite alarming to hear of their failures in American sport, I'd always believed they had quite a good record over there. However it can't be disputed that they've pumped money into those teams, so it must be down to the coaches they have over there. Given the funds needed I'm confident Rafa will win the league for us.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2007 05:28:39 pm
      Eddie I was well aware when they took over that although one of their sides had won the Stanley Cup or whatever once, then since they had both not had much success on the field - instead turning the clubs in to slick outfits off the field.  I think that has been why they have been so keen to say 'Rafa is the boss' - they obviously know nothing about football on the field.

They should give him serious financial backing and then let's see if it works out.  If it doesn't then they can stick 50p on the price of a pint at the new Anfield.
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 02, 2007 06:05:34 pm
      Actions will speak louder than words this summer.  We will definately know by the end of the month whether these guys are for real.  I said in a previous post on the Americans that so far they have said the right things but we must be wary as they are businessmen and they are well used to using their skills to influence people and opinion.  I've been quite impressed since they arrived but if top class players don't arrive this summer huge questions will have to be asked as to whether the club got it wrong in selling to them.  Can't say i know anything about teams, transfer markets, competition for trophies or pretty much anything else about hockey or baseball and i don't know what kind of money they have invested in their teams so i think we have to take this criticism with a pinch of salt, after all there was a lot of praise coming from they fans of the two teams when Hicks and Gillett first arrived. 

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Jun 13, 2007 10:17:22 pm
      I am behind the new owners 100%! They haven't put a foot wrong yet, and they're certainly much more involved than the yanks at Manure!

Alright, the United owners have thrown a lot of money the managers way the past few weeks, but if you remember rightly, they're using United's money to pay their own debts so who's money are they using?

Gillet and Hicks are not using our money to fund the takeover, and they are certainly excited about the prospects in front of them! Let's just hope they don't come out and make a tit out of me!  ;)
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #5: Jan 22, 2008 05:47:21 pm
      The more I read about Hicks & Gillett the less I like what I'm reading,I think I know now why the deal was done at the last possible moment because if any one had their record in the states pointed out no one would have wanted them so slick Rick pushed it through in record time.He must have know their track record in the states which is if it has to be funded through their own pockets they wont do it,just ask the people of Dallas & Montreal they're crying out for investment in their prospective teams and I wonder why we were not informed of this little oversight when they were introded to us by slick Rick last February.

Their failings in both Montreal & Dallas are now out for all to see and it makes me think that their failing in Dallas & Montreal will now become our failings as well and how the Shiite were they ever allowed in to Anfield and not just in but in total control.If they stay true to form there will be investment to the tune of a mid table team and the Americans will take the money whilst putting up season tickets  to the tune of that place down the road...I know a lot of you's will say I'm going overboard but we will not sit back passively like Americans and do naught and if and when Raffa gets sacked by these jokers we'll know their intentions for sure...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,303 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Jan 22, 2008 06:06:07 pm
      found this

Hicks: Liverpool will benefit my U.S. sports teams
      Posted by Brant Parsons on Jan 22, 2008 10:47:00 AM
      Discuss This: Comments (4) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it

Tom Hicks has alleviated fans of his teams - no, not fans of Liverpool - fans of MLB's Texas Rangers and NHL's Dallas Stars - by assuring them that money made at the English club will be funneled into the U.S. franchises.

Oh yeah, this will go over well.

There are already concerns about how much money Hicks even has to spend on the Merseyside club - and now we're learning of a video from six months ago where Hicks stated that if he makes any money in England, he'll spend it on his teams in America.

People are worried that I might take money away from the Rangers to go to Liverpool. But it is just the reverse. Liverpool is going to throw off lots of extra money which, if I choose to, I can use for the Rangers or the Stars.

w**ker of the highest order this fella
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #7: Jan 23, 2008 11:14:45 am
      This guy is a total ego-manica "if -I- choose to" - what a vagina.

What is this complete and UTTER  C U N T doing at our club ....Mr Parry?

Answer us and grow some balls ffs... we know you might already have them cos you stick your pubes on your head... so tell us - what is HE doing HERE????????????
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Jan 24, 2008 02:16:21 pm
      Not only balls have pubes. ;)

The fans need closure as to what is happening. A sincere word to the fans from Mr Parry. F**k me its frustrating.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: Jan 24, 2008 05:10:45 pm
      Thanks for choosing him Mr. Moores.

The blood is on your hands because of the extra ÂŁ20 Million you pocketed from them.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #10: Jan 25, 2008 09:45:04 am

The blood is on your hands because of the extra ÂŁ20 Million you pocketed from them.

...of which Parry most certainly took his 5% = cool GBP 1M into that Bermudan account...

Do you think DIC would have done a deal like G&H - I would like to see the tracing of the monies between G&H and Mr Moores - I wonder how much of it is under-the-table...

DIC would have been totally clean and above board... another reason why Mr Parry and Mr Moores didn't want to deal with them?
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 25, 2008 10:21:16 am
      Have they got out with any statements around the problem lately?
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Jan 25, 2008 11:28:36 am

ten out of f***in ten!!! -  both Parry and Moores have got blood and feathers stuck around their months!!!
      Quit sittin in the directors box with that forlorn look on your faces!!! IT'S YOUR f***in FAULT were in this mess.
      Three years looking for suitable competent custodians, and you change your mind in a couple of day???
      YOUR HEADS WHERE TURNED BY AND EXTRA ÂŁ8 MILLION QUID PERIOD!
      Well I hope you both sleep easy at night PAIR OF UNADULTERATED f***in cu*ts
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 11:31:06 am by neilh2105 »
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #13: Jan 26, 2008 10:25:41 am
      US just donÂŽt get it about history and tradition
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 26, 2008 11:29:14 am
      why doesnt it surprise me that any money he makes will go into his other sports teams its things like this he is known for as I posted back in february in the who is tom hicks thread.

Back in his lovely texas he has another holding company where the students at the university of texas can pay their tuition fees for the coming terms the cheapset being in the region of around $15,000 or at todays rate just under ÂŁ7,500 only 7% of that tuition money goes on education the rest goes into his outside interests I.e sports teams so we are going to be bled dry and that dough will go to texas rangers

http://www.utwatch.org/utimco/hicks.html

http://www.soccerblog.com/2007/02/tom_hicks_liverpools_coowner_a.htm

Quick Reply