Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1096041 times
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #7153: Jan 02, 2015 06:20:50 pm
      You disagreed with us signing Sturridge then?

Not at all.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #7154: Jan 02, 2015 08:00:58 pm

Eh? Either Chelsea are our "rivals" or they're not.

I wouldn't want to see us signing Everton or Man United players for example.

But you seem to want things both ways - you can't complain about our players / ex managers going there and be perfectly happy signing their players or ex (assistant) managers.

Have you not thought this through?
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #7155: Jan 02, 2015 08:49:46 pm
      Eh? Either Chelsea are our "rivals" or they're not.

I wouldn't want to see us signing Everton or Man United players for example.

But you seem to want things both ways - you can't complain about our players / ex managers going there and be perfectly happy signing their players or ex (assistant) managers.

Have you not thought this through?

I don't get your point on this, if we sign another player from any side at that point they have no connection with LFC, they and the club then start on a journey and like others before them they become part of the LFC family.

However if you have been part of that family and then go to one of our rivals that's totally different.

We have signed many a player from the blueslime.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7156: Jan 02, 2015 09:37:19 pm
      Actually as it turns out, we can.

Rodgers: 0 EPL titles
      Benitez: 0 EPL titles

Last year we showed that you don't need to throw vast amounts of money at a side to mount a title challenge. In the past 10 years, Rafa has spent millions and millions and millions and millions of cash on players here and elsewhere. He still wants more, but at some point you have to make do with what you have, as Rodgers has and does. He can't, so eventually he pays the price.

It was never part of the argument. My argument was, we scored 70-odd other goals last season, so the title challenge was a team effort. Assists and set up play are a separate issue.

I never said I was content with the way the group panned out. I never indicated otherwise. With no European football in 2 of the past 5 years and as third seeds, I expected a tough group and that's what we got. We knew that Basle would be tricky away and stubborn here, from our own and other club's experiences against them, and they were. Spending the amount we spent doesn't mean the group was going to be any easier, and entitled us to absolutely nothing.

you still here?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #7157: Jan 03, 2015 10:58:27 am
      I don't get your point on this, if we sign another player from any side at that point they have no connection with LFC, they and the club then start on a journey and like others before them they become part of the LFC family.

However if you have been part of that family and then go to one of our rivals that's totally different.

We have signed many a player from the blueslime.

Let me explain it in even simpler terms.

Either another club is our "rival" or it isn't.

Would you like to see us signing Wayne Rooney? Would he become part of the LFC family? No because he is coming from our true "rivals".

if Chelsea are our "rivals" then we shoudn't be signing the likes of Sturridge or Cech - just like we wouldn't sign Rooney.

If they're NOT our rivals then we shouldn't have a problem with selling them Torres or seeing Rafa there.

Which is it?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #7158: Jan 03, 2015 12:42:42 pm
      Actually as it turns out, we can.

Rodgers: 0 EPL titles
      Benitez: 0 EPL titles

Last year we showed that you don't need to throw vast amounts of money at a side to mount a title challenge. In the past 10 years, Rafa has spent millions and millions and millions and millions of cash on players here and elsewhere. He still wants more, but at some point you have to make do with what you have, as Rodgers has and does. He can't, so eventually he pays the price.

:lmao:

I'm surprised you are still around here - you're still smarting from trying to denigrate Rafa's Superleague victory over Juve (which apparently means nothing) whilst crowing about our historic draw with Leicester.

Here you go mate, figures from the Telegraph, first three seasons:
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/7675751/Rafael-Benitezs-transfer-dealings-during-his-six-year-reign-at-Liverpool.html

RAFA - total spend £81.3m

2004/05:
      IN: £2m Josemi; £1.5m Nunez; £10.7m Alonso; £6m Luis Garcia; £6.3m Morientes; £1m Carson; Free Pelligrino.
      Total: £27.5m.
      WON: Champions League.
      PREMIER LEAGUE: 5th

-----------------------------

2005/06:
      IN: £240,000 Barragan; £6m Reina; £5.6m Sissoko; £7m Crouch; £150,000 Hobbs; £190,000 Idriza; £1.5m Gonzalez; £5.8m Agger; £250,000 Martin; Free Zenden, Fowler; Exchange Anderson for Welsh, Kromkamp for Josemi; Unknown Miki Roque.
      Total: £26.73m.
      WON: FA Cup
      PREMIER LEAGUE: 3rd
      -----------------------------

2006/07:
      IN: £6m Bellamy; £2m Palletta; £6.7m Pennant; £9m Kuyt; £200,000 El Zhar; £750,000 Ajdarevic; £2.5m Arbeloa; Free Fabio Aurelio; Loan Mascherano, Padelli; Undisclosed Brouwer.
      Total: £27.15m.
      PREMIER LEAGUE: 3rd and reached Champions League final.

Brendan - total spend (with january transfer window yet to come) - £212.3mhttp://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1

2012/13
      IN: Borini 10.4 Allen 15 Assaidi 3 Sahin loan Yesil 1Sturridge 12 Coutinho 8.5 Texeira 0.8
      Total: £50.7m
      PREMIER LEAGUE: 7th

2013/14
      IN: Alberto 6.8 Aspas 7 Mignolet 9 Toure free Cisshoko loan Sakho 15 Ilori 7 Moses loan
      Total: £44.8m
      PREMIER LEAGUE: 2nd

2014/15
      IN: Lambert 4.5 Lallana 25 Can 9.7 Markovic 19.8 Lovren 20 Origi 9.8 Manquillo loan Moreno 12 Balotelli 16
      Total:£116.8m
      PREMIER LEAGUE?....

If you wanna talk about net spend and the value added to the squad by Alonso, Torres, Sterling the figures are even better.

:lmao: you are clueless
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #7159: Jan 03, 2015 05:35:26 pm
      Let me explain it in even simpler terms.

Either another club is our "rival" or it isn't.

Would you like to see us signing Wayne Rooney? Would he become part of the LFC family? No because he is coming from our true "rivals".

if Chelsea are our "rivals" then we shoudn't be signing the likes of Sturridge or Cech - just like we wouldn't sign Rooney.

If they're NOT our rivals then we shouldn't have a problem with selling them Torres or seeing Rafa there.

Which is it?

Looks like my views ( and I am sure many a supporter ) differ from yours but it takes all sorts I suppose.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7160: Jan 03, 2015 05:38:10 pm
      Looks like my views ( and I am sure many a supporter ) differ from yours but it takes all sorts I suppose.

World would be a boring place if everybody had the same opinion. Nothing wrong in differing opinions and a good debate, just some people start taking it personally.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7161: Jan 06, 2015 02:00:53 am
      Can you believe we beat this lot in 2005;

Dida, Cafu, Stam, Nesta, Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaka, Shevchenko and Crespo.

I mean does any first 11 in world football come close to that even now?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7162: Jan 06, 2015 02:15:08 am

Dida, Cafu, Stam, Nesta, Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaka, Shevchenko and Crespo.

Crazy line up that.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7163: Jan 06, 2015 02:57:46 am

I we had any 3 of those players we'd being going into the season confident, but 11.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #7164: Jan 16, 2015 08:02:08 am
      Quote from Hollywood Balls
      I'm surprised you are still smarting from trying to denigrate Rafa's Superleague victory over Juve (which apparently means nothing) whilst crowing about our historic draw with Leicester

"Crowing" is stretching things considerably. However, the result stretched our unbeaten run to 5 games, and has been extended since.

Meanwhile, in a place where unbeaten runs are a distant memory, Rafa has played the real Juventus at home in a proper game that mattered. Surprise surprise, he lost, and any credit at winning a shield he got, is apparantly evaporating at the speed of his title challenge.

While he was brought to Napoli to win a league, Brendan was brought here to get us into the European Cup. He did that in two years, while Napoli are still waiting.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #7165: Jan 18, 2015 12:23:12 pm

Its mind boggling how stacked Italian teams were at that point. Juventus' first 11 was Buffon, Zebina, Cannavaro, Thuram, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Emerson, Vieira, Nedved, Del Piero and Trezeguet.  That's 8 World Cup winners there and of the players who weren't World Champions Nedved had a Ballon D'Or to his name and Emerson would have been a World Cup winning Captain had he not been injured before the World Cup.

It's just staggering and it shows just how sad Serie A's decline has been. You take those two sets of players in their prime today with Ancelotti and Capello in charge of them (like they were back then) and they'd probably play the next 5 Champions League finals against each other.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7166: Jan 18, 2015 01:33:14 pm
      Good win for Napoli today, 1-0 away at Lazio. It's looking like Lazio and Sampadoria will be their main rivals for third, so this was a big result for Benitez.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7167: Jan 18, 2015 02:11:34 pm
      While he was brought to Napoli to win a league, Brendan was brought here to get us into the European Cup. He did that in two years, while Napoli are still waiting.

Wow some measure of success you have?

So just getting into Europe is your idea of success for Liverpool Football Club?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7168: Jan 18, 2015 10:30:27 pm

That team, along with the true Galactico's were by far the best I have seen over the last 10years or so. That Milan team along with Madrid's team having the likes of Casillas, Roberto Carlos, Helguera, Salgado, Beckham, Zidane, Figo, Raul, Ronaldo.

But that's for another day and another topic.

While he was brought to Napoli to win a league, Brendan was brought here to get us into the European Cup.

Good to see the aspirations for two clubs that are around the same level in terms of quality; one hires a manager with the goal of winning the league whilst the other hires a manager with the goal of making top 4 and nothing else.

And saw us go out with our tails between our legs having been outplayed in every group game.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #7169: Jan 19, 2015 12:57:52 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      Wow some measure of success you have?

So just getting into Europe is your idea of success for Liverpool Football Club?

That's not my measure of success. It is the owners though.

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      And saw us go out with our tails between our legs having been outplayed in every group game.

That's one way of looking at it alright.

The other way of looking at it is, after 6 games in a group with Real Madrid, we came within one goal of making the second round for the first time in 6 years. After all, we got kicked out of a much easier group with one game still to play, and with far better players available the last time.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #7170: Jan 19, 2015 02:31:32 pm
      That's not my measure of success. It is the owners though.

That's one way of looking at it alright.

The other way of looking at it is, after 6 games in a group with Real Madrid, we came within one goal of making the second round for the first time in 6 years. After all, we got kicked out of a much easier group with one game still to play, and with far better players available the last time.
      Wow thats some fu**ed up logic.Everything Rafa has done is wrong because he is Rafa and while Rodgers got outplayed by every team even the mighty Ludogorets is a one hell of a way looking at it(No offense to Rodgers BTW).Mate are you even a LFC supporter or just a Wind Up Merchant?  ???
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #7171: Jan 19, 2015 03:19:48 pm
      Quote from Gill95
      Everything Rafa has done is wrong because he is Rafa and while Rodgers got outplayed by every team even the mighty Ludogorets is a one hell of a way looking at it(No offense to Rodgers BTW).

I think it is tbh.

It doesn't matter whether we were "outplayed" or not. We beat Ludogorets 4-3 on aggregate, taking 4 points with a draw away from home where only Real won. Without them, there would be no Europe after christmas, and we certainly would be third seeds again next time.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7172: Jan 19, 2015 09:58:14 pm

we came within one goal of making the second round for the first time in 6 years.

Going by your logic there then, you must be very happy that Rafa got us within 2 goals of claiming the title.

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #7173: Jan 21, 2015 12:10:35 pm
      No he's not happy.

Everything he writes is coloured by his annoyance that Raf sold his hero Robbie Keane.

Absolute waste of time reading his posts.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #7174: Feb 01, 2015 10:26:54 pm
      Rafa's boys third 4 behind Roma and 11 behind Juve. I've said it before, they might just do it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7175: Feb 01, 2015 10:35:33 pm
      Rafa's boys third 4 behind Roma and 11 behind Juve. I've said it before, they might just do it.

I would be really happy for the man, deserves it our Rafa.

Quick Reply