Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Robbie (God) Fowler

Read 3363 times
      Sarah
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 484 posts | 16 
      Robbie (God) Fowler
      Jul 06, 2007 09:20:05 am
      Fowler considers City bidJul 6 2007

by Steve Tucker, Western Mail

ROBBIE FOWLER is ready to genuinely consider dropping down a division and coming to Wales to help Cardiff City in their promotion push next season.

The 32-year-old striker is prepared to take up the Bluebirds challenge, if he believes he can score the goals to fire Dave Jones’ men into the Premiership.

As reported yesterday, City chairman Peter Ridsdale and manager Jones have spoken to the former England and Liverpool frontman about a possible move to Ninian Park.

The trio got together at a charity golf event at Newport’s Celtic Manor on Monday, where the first approaches were made.

Fowler’s advisor George Scott confirmed the meeting took place, but said Fowler was keeping his options open at the moment. He insisted Fowler, who has been released by Liverpool, had received a host of offers and would be taking his time deciding what to do in the future.

Fowler himself stated in a television interview on Monday that he had received no offers.

“You’ve got to understand Robbie is coming away from his second spell at Liverpool, it’s big thing for him and he’s got to get his head straight,” said Scott.

“He wants to take his time and consider his options. I can’t see any decision being made for at least a week, but I expect it could be more time.”

If the Bluebirds can land Fowler it would be the Championship coup of the summer.

The frontman, who has 26 caps for England and seven international goals became a legend at Anfield during his two spells with the Reds.

In a glittering career, which has also seen him also play for Leeds and Manchester City, Fowler has hit 216 goals in a total of 473 appearances. Fowler would not command a transfer fee, but his huge wages, estimated at up to ÂŁ50,000 a week, would prove a problem for Cardiff.

But so keen are the Bluebirds to sign Fowler that they are said to be considering trying to put together a sponsorship package to help pay the striker’s salary.

The Bluebirds tried a similar ploy when they attempted to secure funding to buy Welsh international Jason Koumas last summer, but they were not successful on that occasion.

It is hoped the lure of an even bigger name like Fowler could be enough to make businesses or individuals come forward.

Ridsdale has declined to confirm the Fowler interest, but has admitted City have enquired about three players with international experience.

Dont know about u lot but i would love to see Robbie come to cardiff, he could be the key to the premiership
      its unlikely but it's also a big possibility.
      What do u guys think?
      stev_17
      • Forum David Johnson

• 224 posts |
      Re: Robbie (God) Fowler
      Reply #1: Jul 06, 2007 10:56:20 am
      yeah chopra and fowler up front would fire cardiff into the premiership...not like i care about cardiff anyway ;D...i would love it more if folwer came Sydney FC
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #2: Jul 06, 2007 02:33:41 pm
      am happy for God as he deserves a club after the way he never really played for us last seasonm. i think rafa didnt treat him great as he could have easily played him a few times last season in difficult situation were he could have helped us!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Jul 06, 2007 05:27:24 pm
      Bet Nicola will be over the moon!  :D

Good luck Robbie!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Jul 07, 2007 12:53:06 pm
      Bet Nicola will be over the moon!  :D

Good luck Robbie!

Haha beat me to that then! Hope he does go there, as he would be regarded as God in two clubs then if he shoots them into the Prem! Plus it'll be nice to keep watching him as Championship coverage ain't too bad!

If he didn't go there though, I'd love him to sign for Celtic! Me Uncles a mad Celtic fan so he keeps me interested in them! Family tradition! :D
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 08, 2007 07:38:48 am
      JUST HOPE THAT HE STAYS IN THE UK AS HE WILL BE MISSED IF HE MOVES ABROAD.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Jul 09, 2007 05:10:30 am
      Come to Sydney Robbie! I would love to see him play in person. Plus Sydney need someone up front to knock them in. Great to see a legend in real life.
      irish
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 10, 2007 12:50:27 pm
      Hi this is my first ever answer to a topic I live in Geelong Australia and at the minute the Asia cup is on TV and at half time the talk was Robbie Flower is in Sydney  I thought you all might like to know
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #8: Jul 10, 2007 01:22:22 pm
      He will get goals whereever he goes good luck Robbie gone but never forgotten.
      Adam_lfcfan
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • A team of Carras...apart from up front!!
      Reply #9: Jul 10, 2007 02:18:00 pm
      For his sake I would rather he went to Rangers as it would be better for his career than Cardiff City
      LFC FOR ME
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 10, 2007 07:57:04 pm
      If Fowler wants a challenge then he'l choose to go to the bluebirds.  Great support and potential but struggling to make the leap into the premiership.  If he wants the money he'l go to sydney.  If he's the bloke I hope he is he'l be in cardiff for the start of the season.
      irish
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #11: Jul 11, 2007 07:27:43 am
      What's wrong with making some money at the stage he's at, a footballer life span is short and if Robbie went to Sydney and made a few bob in the process then good on him he deserves all he can get,  he is one of the great liverpool players and Ifor one wish him the  best of luck to Robbie.  2 nd point if he was to move to the Scottish PL then celtic would be his best move surely. Liverpool and Celtic have links is this not true as I look above my head and see my liverpool/celtic scarf
      stev_17
      • Forum David Johnson

• 224 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 11, 2007 11:19:59 am
      fowlers is town guys to talk to sydney FC about a contract....COMON id love to see fowler play live
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #13: Jul 11, 2007 11:32:02 am
      I hope Robbie does well at Cardiff - Oi, Nicola - you must be buzzin about this  ;D :D ;D

There's only 1 God... ;)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #14: Jul 11, 2007 07:11:44 pm
      SSN reporting that he may be going to Port Vale  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #15: Jul 14, 2007 01:10:51 pm
      Robbie is currently over in Sydney checking out the Aussie system.

If I was him, a couple of years in Australia would do me quite fine thanks.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #16: Jul 18, 2007 06:06:37 pm
      From Sky Sports

18th July 2007

Robbie Fowler's agent says the former Liverpool legend is in no rush to make a decision on his future.

Fowler is weighing up his options after being released by Liverpool at the end of last season.

Cardiff, Leicester and Sydney FC have all expressed an interest in signing the former Leeds and Manchester City hit-man.

Cardiff are believed be leading the chase for the prolific forward, but Fowler's representative George Scott says the player will not rush into making a decision on who to join

"To be honest, Robbie is enjoying the little bit of freedom he's got at the moment," Scott told the Western Mail.

"He is not in a mood to be rushed. He is considering eight offers at the moment, but the phone is always ringing and there is plenty of interest.

"We've been forced to say thanks, but no thanks to a few of them.

"I wouldn't want to put the offers in any kind of order yet. Robbie is his own man, he will make up his mind about what is right for him and especially what's right for his family.

"Robbie's got six weeks really and there is no saying he won't take that time before putting pen to paper and finally decide where he's going.

"As I say, offers are coming in all the time and there is the option there to wait until more clubs come in and decide then.

"Sydney is still in there, we felt we should go out there at least. They had come to Liverpool and we thought it polite to take up their offer to go there.

"Cardiff's bid is getting the same serious consideration as the others. We know the chairman, Peter Ridsdale, is an ambitious man. I know him and he's always impressed me as a person, a businessman and just a thorough football man at heart."
      Sarah
      • Forum Phil Thompson
      • Started Topic

• 484 posts | 16 
      Reply #17: Jul 23, 2007 09:21:52 am
       ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fowler: Why I've joined the BluebirdsJul 23 2007

Steve Tucker gets the first interview with Robbie Fowler and hears the Liverpool legend outline why the Bluebirds offer the drive, challenge and ambition he needs at this stage of his career

by Steve Tucker, Western Mail

ROBBIE FOWLER last night spoke for the first time about his incredible move to Cardiff City and vowed, “I’m here to help fire the Bluebirds into the Premiership!”

Fowler spoke exclusively to the Western Mail as he gets ready to put pen to paper this afternoon on a two-year deal at Ninian Park.

Cardiff manager Dave Jones has dubbed the move as the biggest transfer coup in the club’s history.

And Fowler made it clear he is NOT here for the money and he is NOT here just to cosily wind down his playing days.

The Liverpool legend declared he had chosen Cardiff, ahead of the other teams chasing his signature because they offer the ambition and challenge he wants for the next part of his glittering football career.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

“The most important thing for me is that when you look at Cardiff you see an ambitious club and a situation that is going to give me a real challenge,” Fowler said.

“I want to play regular football and achieve things, and Cardiff offer me that opportunity.

“During my time at Liverpool over the last season I wasn’t used as much as I would have liked, but hopefully I can get back to week-in, week-out games with Cardiff.

“As a striker, you need that in order to be properly sharp in front of goal.

“People have said I’m past my best and I’ve heard other sorts of comments like that.

“But they forget I’m still only 32... and that’s not so old. I have had injuries, but I’m in good shape again, I’m raring to go and I can’t wait to get playing for Cardiff.

“I’m really happy to be joining. I’m coming to hopefully help Cardiff with a real push at promotion next season.”

Fowler spoke after being persuaded to join Cardiff by the ambition and drive shown by manager Jones and City chairman Peter Ridsdale.

The two men have been patiently tracking the Anfield goal legend for a number of weeks and Ridsdale will cut short a holiday in Florida to officially seal the deal.

Fowler will easily become the highest paid Bluebirds star in the club’s history, with a reported £15,000 a week salary and generous goal and appearance bonuses on top.

If he does manage to help Cardiff into the top flight, Fowler will also be handed a massive ÂŁ800,000 payment.

But Fowler emphasised money was the last thing on his thoughts. In Cardiff, he sees a club genuinely geared up to push for top-flight football and wants to do his bit to make the Welsh dream happen.

“You look at last season and note the brilliant start Cardiff had, only for them to then drop away a bit,” Fowler continued.

“They had a big run of games where they couldn’t get a win and goals dried up a bit.

“I would like to think I can keep the goals coming this season and the team can get a bit more consistent in terms of results.

“But it’s not just about me, I must stress that. There is a good group of players at Cardiff already and I’m looking forward to supplementing the squad and playing my part in any success we might have.

“If I can pass on a bit of my own experience in big games to the younger players at the club, then of course I will be delighted to do that.”

During a stunning goal-scoring career, Fowler has found the net an astonishing 224 times in little more than 400 starts.

Those goals have each come in the top flight, during two spells with his hometown club Liverpool, and stints with Leeds and Manchester City.

Playing for Bluebirds will see Fowler drop out of the Premiership for the first time, but he has no real issue with that.

“That is not a problem, plenty of other Premiership players have done it and been a success and I don’t see myself as any different,” said Fowler.

“I could have remained in the Premiership and been with a club battling relegation.

“But I prefer to be with a club like Cardiff and try to get promotion. That is a challenge that really does appeal to me in the coming season.”

Fowler confirmed Bluebirds chairman Ridsdale had won him over with his ambitious plans for the club, which include a new state-of-the art home for the Bluebirds.

“Obviously I know Peter from my time with Leeds, when he signed me from Liverpool back at the start of the millennium,” said Fowler.

“Peter wanted success there and he wants Cardiff to be a successful club, too.

“He is a very ambitious man and that has to be good for the club and for Welsh football in general.”

Bluebirds boss Jones said he was delighted by the capture of Fowler and revealed the protracted wooing process which had gone on to lure the star.

“It is probably the biggest signing Cardiff have made. It’s a fantastic coup for this football club,” said Jones.

“I met Robbie out in America first and asked him what he was going to do. Then I met him at a golf tournament at the Celtic Manor, a charity event.

“The conversations went well and I asked Peter to come up and speak to him.

“It has been rolling on for a fair time, but it was just a matter of Robbie speaking to the people he had to speak to out of courtesy really.

“Signing Robbie has given everyone a lift throughout the whole club. Every one of the players is talking about him. I think news like this should give the whole city of Cardiff a lift.”

Jones said he believed Fowler still had the drive and ambition to make his mark in the Championship this season.

“If he didn’t have the hunger and drive, I wouldn’t be signing him, simple as that,” said Jones.

“I wouldn’t have him at this football club if the desire wasn’t there. A lot of people tell me his legs have gone at 32, but I don’t see that.

“I hope Robbie will bring everything that is good about his football to this club.”

Jones insisted the signing of players such as former England internationals Trevor Sinclair and Fowler, as well as Sottish midfielder Gavin Rae from Rangers. showed the progress the club was making.

And he branded “crazy” anyone who might level criticism at the club for cashing in on a £5m offer from Sunderland for last season’s top scorer Michael Chopra.

“We have attracted Trevor Sinclair, Gavin Rae and Robbie Fowler so we must be doing something right,” stated Jones.

“We were chasing Robbie believing we were going to hold onto Michael Chopra, but the offer came in for Chops and we couldn’t turn that down.

“Anyone who says that wasn’t good business is absolutely crazy. We paid £300,000 for him a year ago, that is a good profit in 12 months.

“We’re still in the market for someone else as well. If we can attract the likes of Sinclair and Fowler, it should put us on the map to attract other players.

“With what’s going on at Cardiff at the moment, it’s like a new club. It’s certainly a good place to be at this moment in time.”

Fowler clearly thinks so. And he can’t wait to get started in the blue of the Bluebirds.

Im so happy, never thought it would happen, I look forward to seeing Cardiff in the premiership next season.

Nice one Robbie Y.N.W.A

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #18: Jul 24, 2007 04:44:47 pm
      Deal done, topic locked.

Quick Reply