SUPPORTERS’ COMMITTEE MEETING
Liverpool Football Club Supporters' Committee
Second Meeting season 2012/13
10th February 2013
13:00 – 15:00
Update from the Committee
Karen Gill (KG) confirmed that the Committee held its elections earlier in the day and
that her turn as chair had come to an end and that Bob Humphries (BH) would serve
as the new Chair and that Jeanette Dodd(JD) would serve as the vice-chair. She wished
them luck in their term of office and confirmed that she would remain involved, having
been elected as the Honorary President of the LFC Supporters’ Committee.
Abu Nasir (AN) confirmed that the first year of existence for the Committee was a
learning process. Accordingly, the Committee had agreed to update the constitution
to better reflect the role and purpose of the committee. The Committee has produced
documents highlighting the changes they are proposing to make to the set up of the
committee and have provided the club with a copy for their approval. It is hoped
that the club will read the document and agree to its contents in advance of the next
meeting. Ian Ayre (IA) stated that providing the contents of the new document and
its supporting policies did not adversely affect the club, and then the club would not
object to its adoption or implementation. He confirmed that such decisions on rotation of
members, frequency of meetings etc. were matters for the Committee itself and the fans
Update on the actions from previous meetings
The first five meetings between the club and Committee had resulted in many changes
and improvements being implemented to enhance the service delivered to the fans. The
following lists highlight some of the changes that have taken place in five key areas.
Membership and the Official LFC Supporters' Club: led by Scott Richardson (SC),
head of customer relationship management (CRM).
The official website has been updated with clearer FAQs on membership and the
process has been clarified.
An annual survey has also been introduced to help determine the overall satisfaction
with the current process and identify other opportunities. Results so far have led
to the introduction of a “light” membership package in season 2011-12. Further
research was carried out assessing the option of a membership product for under-
16s and this is now also available.
Resource has been recruited to support the supporters’ club activities. A supporters’
club survey was developed to allow for further feedback on the supporters’ club
process. The supporters’ club waiting lists were contacted with the aim of expanding
the network in a controlled manner.
The club will continue to consult with the Committee on branch matters and publish a
process map explaining different stages of the application process.
Ticketing and Travelling Supporters: led by Phil Dutton (PD), head of ticketing and
The club will continue to raise the pricing structure for away fans at the Premier
League meetings and will keep the Committee updated.
In season 2012-13 both season ticket holders and members had the opportunity to
sign up to the auto cup scheme prior to the fixtures being announced.
On behalf of the fans, the Committee also asked for the possibility of separate ticket
pricing for supporters aged 16-21. The club investigated the matter and advised
that this has not proved viable; however the club will reconsider in light of any redevelopment of Anfield.
• Ticketing price freeze was agreed for season 2012-13.
• A 'how to purchase ticket guide' has been made available online to clearly define the
process of ticket purchasing. The club will also consider the other methods i.e. online
• We will continue to provide feedback on the implementation of an easier system for
international fans during bulk sale.
• Thomas Cook is keen to meet with Les Wright (LW) and the club to listen to the
supporters’ concerns. A date will be finalised shortly.
• Ticketing Strategy are continuing to look at extending loan facilities and buy backs as
well as reviewing pricing models. They will also continue discussions with the Premier
League regarding increasing pricing to Cat A games and tiered pricing for league
games. PD will continue to liaise with BH on regular basis.
• With regard to communication for travelling supporters, improvements have been
made to the information sheet given to travelling fans giving clarity of dos and don'ts
whilst away. A Merseyside police / travel Twitter account has been created and
updates will be made on regular basis to keep fans informed.
• IA added that during his most recent attendance at the Premier League
Shareholders’ Meeting, the issue of away tickets was raised. The PL has conducted a
survey, which will be shared with clubs and actions will be identified to address the
matter of pricing. The meeting confirmed that LFC has the highest number of away
supporters of any other team in PL. IA has spoken with the other clubs who are well-
represented at away fixtures to determine if, together, any additional pressure can
applied to reduce the prices of away tickets.
• We are organising several hospitality focus group with the help of Laurence
Whitehead towards the end of the season.
Families: led by Andrew Parkinson (AP), operations director
In line with the club’s commitment to enhance its offerings for families, a dedicated
sale day has now been introduced for adult and child tickets to be purchased. The
club will continue to look at new initiatives to put in place for families to enhance
their match day experience.
Mighty Red became the first official LFC Mascot with the aim of enhancing the junior
fan engagement and enhancing the overall experience.
LFC opened a Family Park in Anfield Road, which invites home and away families to
enjoy fun filled activities pre-match.
An allocation of 600 seats has been provided in the Family Zone, which is in the
adult/child section. Welcoming and inviting visuals have been created for on the
concourse and interactive activities are organised for the area on a match-by-match
IA suggested that if time permits in advance of the next meeting, the club should
introduce the committee to the Family Zone so they can witness first hand the
improvements that have been introduced.
Disability, access, parking and the over 65s: led by Rishi Jain (RJ), social inclusion
officer and Andrew Parkinson (AP), operations director
The Club has now allocated a limited amount of spaces in the Anfield Road car park
for season ticket holders and members who are over 65.
A drop off zone for blue badge holders is now available in Tinsley Street.
A further disability/access audit was completed in 2012. This has now been fed back
to JD, BH and LW representing the Committee. The club has also met with the LDSA
to run through the audit.
Further staff members have been trained to handle disability queries. FAQs have
been updated and this would allow for a satisfactory service to our disabled fans
particularly on a dedicated sales day.
• Gilmoss Park & Ride service is now in place in addition to the Soccer Bus.
• The club has reviewed the role and profile of the DLO in LFC and is confident that it
meets the necessary requirements.
• Changing Places facilities were considered for the Paddock, however further
assessment has revealed access issues and this will no longer be possible. The club
will look at the possibilities of incorporate this as part of the proposed redevelopment
• The club has put provisions in place to make bicycle racks available to those fans
who wish to cycle to the stadium. On non-match days, bicycle racks have been
placed in the Centenary Stand car park and on match days the location is in the Food
Village in Anfield Road.
Communication, LFC Foundation and LGBT: led by Susan Black (SB), head of
A document has been produced for the Committee showing the good work the club is
doing around inequality on a match day as well as the work done by the Foundation.
The Foundation has been working hard to streamline its offering to the community
with a new focus on Men’s Health, Football 4 All, Youth Skills and On The Ball.
A celebration event is planned for the spring of summer of 2013 to coincide with the
launch of a dedicated website. Fundraising events are also planned for 2013.
The club hosted a gay football supporters' network league match between Mersey
Marauders and Wolvs Harts on the 9th February 2013 at the LFC Academy. This was
set up through conversations with Paul Amann and members of Mersey Marauders
and was part of the club’s activities for the Football v Homophobia campaign. This
has been the second year that the club supported such initiatives.
All Premier League clubs signed up for the Charter for Action on 2 February 2012.
The club met with PA regarding the review of documents for signing up to the city's
Anti-Homophobic bullying strategy. The club will continue to look at the strategy and
see if it applies to the areas which engage with young people. The club will continue
to liaise with PA.
The club has been in contact with both members of the Committee regarding the SLO
role and the PL and AP will deliver the club response back to JD, BH and LW and later
The club has raised the matter of protective characteristic with the FA. RJ has met
with PA and whilst PA is disappointed with the FA, he is satisfied with the club’s
handle on matters.
The club is still in the process of formulating an internal plan for Reds Going Green
and will ensure progress is communicated. Recycling bins have been ordered and are
present at the moment in certain areas of the ground including the Family Zone.
The Committee made changes to the format of their meetings with the club and deviated
from questions and answers session, to focusing on the common themes which their
constituency raises with them. One of which was the redevelopment of Anfield and the
other was ticketing. To ensure better communication between the club, the SC and the
fan was enhanced, the club committed to the following:
To ‘lock down’ the dates at the beginning of the season and only change a
scheduled meeting with agreement of the Committee.
The right points of contact within the club will be identified for members of the
Committee to liaise with directly.
Club and Committee to work together and establish a programme to raise the
visibility of the Committee, both its members and its work.
Minutes from the official meeting with the club will be available online within
1st Topic Raised:
Redevelopment of Anfield
JD explained that it was the Committee’s desire to ensure that the best facilities and
amenities are incorporated into a redeveloped Anfield for the benefit of all supporters
of Liverpool Football Club and visiting teams. The Committee would like to see evidence
of where input from supporters will take place as supporters, through suggestions
submitted through the Committee, are already engaging in the process. The Committee
would like to be familiar with the process of how good ideas are to be submitted to the
club for consideration.
IA, stated that the proposed redevelopment of Anfield involved extending two of the
existing stands in order in increase capacity to 60,000. Without certainty, from the
acquisition of properties and the granting of planning permission, the club would not be
in a position to proceed. The acquisition process affects approximately 100 properties;
all owned the club, the City Council, housing associations or private individuals. This
first-stage process is going well, with good on-going dialogue taking place with all key
Notwithstanding the lack of certainty, the club has already commissioned a design study
to determine such things as the market appetite for pricing and hospitality, etc. and a
report is expected by the end of April. The next stage will be design and consultation
and it is at this point that the club will engage with representatives of interest groups,
including those representing fans. The following stages will be planning, application,
tender and construction.
Questions identified during the meeting:
1. How do we ensure that we build a fully accessible stadium?
2. How do we ensure the most efficient dissemination of information to stakeholders,
including fans and the Committee, is achieved as the club progresses through each
phase of the redevelopment?
3. How do we incorporate the best experience for fans, irrespective of whether they are
seated in the Family Zone or enjoying corporate hospitality?
4. Will the Club commit to a dedicated meeting with the Committee, at the appropriate
time, to discuss the redevelopment of Anfield?
5. Will the club determine the capacity of the stadium, irrespective of what comes
out from the feasibility study, and will the design be flexible enough so it can be
expanded as needed?
6. Can we have an international section for visiting fans from overseas, similar to the
Ideas identified during the meeting:
1. Provide regular updates to the fans, perhaps via the Committee, irrespective of
whether there is any real news or change to communicate.
2. We should double/treble adult/child tickets.
3. Share outline design of the floor plans for the new stands when known so input can
be invited as to what facilities and amenities should be included.
4. Ensure that the new stands are expandable as demand increases in the future years.
5. Instead of the traditional approach of having blank walls around the stadium, let’s
have some glazing so fans can see in and out.
6. Hospitality and meeting rooms within the new stands should be more dynamic in
their design so it doesn’t feel like you’re sitting in a basement.
7. Have a clear mechanism in place from the outset to channel supporters’ input before
major decisions are made - such as an open day to view the new designs.
8. Flexible or amenity seating should be included in the new stands to facilitate other
uses of the stadium and accommodate an aging fan base.
Additional ideas submitted after the meeting:
1. Provide a choice of elevated disabled fans seating positions – both Derby County and
Everton have added these to existing stadia.
2. Provide flexible disabled seating - MK Dons has installed removable/adaptable
seating throughout its stadium.
3. Drop-off zones for older and disabled people, ideally not more than 30m from an
accessible stadium entrance. Signs should be installed to identify the drop-off zone
and it should be monitored to prevent its misuse as a parking space.
4. Level, well-lit accessible parking areas designated for older and disabled people.
5. Providing several protected shelters with seating facilities for respite on main access
routes to the stadium, e.g. between the parking area and the accessible entrance.
The above questions and ideas raised will be taken away by the club and as IA stated,
once the club is in the position to engage further it will do so with representatives of
interest groups, including those representing fans.
2nd Topic raised:
Samantha Armstrong (SA) reminded those present that subject of ticket pricing hit the
headlines recently on account of the Arsenal v Manchester City game when travelling
fans refused to pay £62 for an away ticket. The Football Supporters’ Federation have
launched a campaign to address ticket pricing, which continues to be an emotive subject
for all serious football fans, whether they are travelling away fans, senior citizens or
IA said the topic of ticket pricing is worthy of an entire meeting. There are many
different facets to the subject, some the club are involved in and some not necessarily
in control of. At the moment, clubs can only charge away fans the equivalent of the
highest ticket price as paid by home fans in the same section. There is a suggestion that
away fans should be charged the cheapest price enjoyed by home fans. LFC continues to
improve its ticketing policy and the club will keep the Committee informed as and when
new changes are announced.
With less than 10 minutes remaining of the allotted two hours, it was agreed to make
this the topic of ticket pricing the primary topic for discussion at the next meeting.
The following actions were agreed:
1. The Committee will detail specific areas of concern or ideas in advance of the
meeting so the club prepare accordingly.
2. The club will consider inviting a representative of the Premier League to attend the
next meeting to provide an update on the governing body’s view on the matter.
In advance of the next meeting, the club agreed to
1. Read and comment upon the revised ‘policy document’ as amended by the
2. Answer the questions raised and consider the ideas suggested during discussion
point #1 on the redevelopment of Anfield;
3. Implement the actions agreed on the area of communication between the club and
4. Upon receipt of some specific areas of concern about ticket pricing being received
from the Committee, invite a representative from the Premier League to attend the
It is likely that the next meeting will take place in April, on a date yet to be agreed.
It was agreed that three discussion points at each meeting is too optimistic, so it is
proposed that the Committee identify one primary topic and one secondary topic for
each meeting going forward, with ticket pricing the likely primary topic for the next
meeting. If the discussion on the primary topic can be concluded within the time frame,
the secondary topic can be addressed during the same meeting.
Meeting concluded 15:00