Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2642629 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      Reply #16997: Apr 25, 2015 09:32:48 am
      He is saying it by saying it in the press but not directly to them to actually change things

That's what I mean by setting a narrative mate

Of course he shouldn't bite the hand that feeds him.. But a better way to achieve change would be to talk direct to them rather than talk about them in the press

Lifted this post out of many interesting posts on the subject P_d. I can see your point about "setting the narrative" mate and agree to a certain extent.

There's no doubt he has been letting it known, via the media, (to anyone savvy enough to 'listen'), that he's not enamoured with the FSG model/policy/strategy; some of it subtle [too subtle for some fans it seems], some not so. The latest 'Mirror' article "less so" but...

Brendan did say that he knows the owners have looked at their policy and fully understand "that not every player can be a developer."... that, to me, suggests he has told them directly.

The subtext is also clear - 'Listen; I've told them, [more than once], they are aware but they are also, (if it was ever in any doubt), in full control... only they can change things'.

So yes - he might well be laying the foundations but (maybe) after speaking directly to them, for a few 'windows' now, he wants the fans to understand who really holds the power; who really dictates the pace and...  just going by the numbers of folk on here, who still haven't F***ing twigged - he's got his work cut out.

Imagine how hard it would have been, to convey that, had he not been 'talking' to the 'most knowledgeable fans in the world'...  :o
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #16998: Apr 25, 2015 10:39:06 am
      Brendan won't bite the hand that feeds him, I'd be surprised if he would even ask FSG to deviant from their long term plan, as I'm sure he was made aware of it.
      Clearly he would like to though!

We are informed by the misinformed that the owners are in no way whatever involved or have any influence in Brendan's actions and decisions regarding soccer.
      The manager it follows would have no reason to bite anyone's hand whether it clasped a beefburger or not.
      The manager in fact would have great difficulty locating a hand bearing any scoff at all in the tiers of administration which again we are informed have no influence in the manager's actions.
      So the allegations about Brendan needing a muzzle are entirely unfounded. 
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #16999: Apr 25, 2015 08:51:42 pm
      It's been an excellent debate reddebs mate and in general I agree with people who have said that FSG have been a safe pair of hands. We won't go bankrupt, we won't be asset stripped and we will get a new stadium. They have stabilised things much than anyone oin the previous 5 years before that. But crucially, with the current approach, it's difficult to see us challenging for the title regularly.

I do have a point to raise about their intentions though. You are absolutely right, they have always said the goal is to make us self sufficient, which is exactly the message you hear at Chelsea and City (no need to raise it for United and Arsenal, they are already self sufficient). In that sense, I don't have an issue with themethod. It doesn't mean to say they can't tweak the structure. They can do away with a transfer committee, or at worst, give the gaffer more of a say in the committee and also target less players of quality with higher wages. We won't be breaking FFP rules, or go against the who "self-sufficieny model" but we may be able to compete for better players.

In that sense, I, as a fan, have every right to presume things can be changed without wavering from the FSG ethos. We're not really talking about big changes, just some operational changes to the football matters whilst the board and the chief executive can focus on the commercial side of the business, the way it should be.

Spot on with that Ozzi.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #17000: Apr 25, 2015 09:42:54 pm
      I think the owners are going in the right direction, new commercial deals, new ground etc. The are clearly business men but is that such a bad thing? They wiil keep a steady hand on the wheel. We may not be oilers, but these men want to make money. They will do what they can to make that happen and the quickest route to this is a successful club, something we all want.

If they feel the current management team isn't cutting it, they will be gone. We could be in a lot worse hands you know!
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #17001: Apr 25, 2015 10:30:15 pm
      I think the owners are going in the right direction, new commercial deals, new ground etc. The are clearly business men but is that such a bad thing? They wiil keep a steady hand on the wheel. We may not be oilers, but these men want to make money. They will do what they can to make that happen and the quickest route to this is a successful club, something we all want.

If they feel the current management team isn't cutting it, they will be gone. We could be in a lot worse hands you know!
      It depends on what you think is success , if you think staying up in the pl is success with the sky money and sponsorship deals then enjoy yerself .

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17002: Apr 25, 2015 11:53:13 pm
      Just want to check, the Pernicious Weed promised proof later in the week and as it's almost next week, I have to ask, did I miss it?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17003: Apr 26, 2015 12:58:27 am
      Just want to check, the Pernicious Weed promised proof later in the week and as it's almost next week, I have to ask, did I miss it?

You have missed nothing. Just a few more pointless rants.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #17004: Apr 26, 2015 01:04:56 am

Dear Shill
      I think our league position and cup performances are pretty good proof.
      For the Asberger-Plants I'll post sthg tomorrow.
      Kind regards
      AP
      A "Football Fan", you may have heard of the concept.
      (Its people who post on forums because they are football fans, not working for a pr company who's clients are insincere scumbags).
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17005: Apr 26, 2015 01:08:16 am
      I know this might be a tad controversial, but is anyone nearing the point of wanting to be taken over by some rich F***ing trillionaire that wants to buy us every top player available.

I just want to WIN the F***ing League and shut every opposition c**t of a Supporter up, out there.

Getting desperate now. It's been far too long!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #17006: Apr 26, 2015 01:10:59 am
      I know this might be a tad controversial, but is anyone nearing the point of wanting to be taken over by some rich f**king trillionaire that wants to buy us every top player available.

I just want to WIN the f**king League and shut every opposition c**t of a Supporter up, out there.

Getting desperate now. It's been far too long!

If I understand it correctly FFP would prevent that scenario anyway, the rampant buying of high priced talent that is.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #17007: Apr 26, 2015 01:12:51 am
      If I understand it correctly FFP would prevent that scenario anyway, the rampant buying of high priced talent that is.

Unless the new owner owns another multi-billion pound company to pump money in to the club via a sponsorship.

But as it stands, we have spent all we're allowed with FFP. Any more spending and we would have been fined when we got investigated.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #17008: Apr 26, 2015 01:13:05 am

Mmmm, hasn't stopped The Chavs or Citeh, but of course, if it's us they would change the F***ing rules!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17009: Apr 26, 2015 01:13:24 am
      Dear Shill
      I think our league position and cup performances are pretty good proof.
      For the Asberger-Plants I'll post sthg tomorrow.
      Kind regards
      AP
      A "Football Fan", you may have heard of the concept.
      (Its people who post on forums because they are football fans, not working for a pr company who's clients are insincere scumbags).

Considering you're a H & G stoodge, it's good to know you know you're a scumbag. :)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17010: Apr 26, 2015 01:15:13 am
      Mmmm, hasn't stopped The Chavs or Citeh, but of course, if it's us they would change the F***ing rules!

Chavs stockpiled players pre-FFP, City got a huge fine and faced transfer restrictions.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #17011: Apr 26, 2015 01:19:24 am
      Chavs stockpiled players pre-FFP, City got a huge fine and faced transfer restrictions.

Citeh got a huge fine? Would have been pocket change to them.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #17012: Apr 26, 2015 01:33:04 am

Yet they could spend 75m this season on 2 players.... how does FFP work again? :S

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #17013: Apr 26, 2015 04:46:51 am
      Yet they could spend 75m this season on 2 players.... how does FFP work again? :S

Exactly! Head scratching stuff. I'm sure if we did that, they'd look at our books..bunch of cu*ts.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #17014: Apr 26, 2015 07:31:31 am
      They sold David Luiz for Ā£50m and Romelu Lukaku for Ā£28m and made a profit on transfers overall this season.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #17015: Apr 26, 2015 08:20:54 am
      They sold David Luiz for Ā£50m and Romelu Lukaku for Ā£28m and made a profit on transfers overall this season.

Don't forget Schurrle and De Bruyne.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #17016: Apr 26, 2015 02:26:57 pm

Don't forget Schurrle and De Bruyne.

Yep, but City, despite breaking the rules and being punished, how are they able to spend 75m on 2 players? I thought there was a limit to how much they could spend? :s

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #17017: Apr 26, 2015 03:44:29 pm
      In another thread I think we worked out that Liverpool made about Ā£16M from the CL campaign this year.  Each extra place in the league is worth about Ā£1M so finishing top from 5th is worth about Ā£4M.

Finishing first may mean everything to the fans but for dispassionate owners then going out spunking loads of money on transfer fees and salaries which 'winning' won't recoup for them is not a wise financial investment.

They just have to purchase players of a quality enough that it looks like we are competing and that they still get the bums on the seats and the sponsorship deals in.

If they can sell the odd Ā£10M 20 year old for Ā£30M along the way then happy days.

The quicker everybody on here realises that FSG have no interest or even financial motivation to 'win' anything then the better.  They win everyday they own the club.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17018: Apr 26, 2015 04:08:39 pm
      In another thread I think we worked out that Liverpool made about Ā£16M from the CL campaign this year.  Each extra place in the league is worth about Ā£1M so finishing top from 5th is worth about Ā£4M.

Finishing first may mean everything to the fans but for dispassionate owners then going out spunking loads of money on transfer fees and salaries which 'winning' won't recoup for them is not a wise financial investment.

They just have to purchase players of a quality enough that it looks like we are competing and that they still get the bums on the seats and the sponsorship deals in.

If they can sell the odd Ā£10M 20 year old for Ā£30M along the way then happy days.

The quicker everybody on here realises that FSG have no interest or even financial motivation to 'win' anything then the better.  They win everyday they own the club.

This is where I get confused about how people see the owners.

The club uses its own money.
      Transfers in and out are the clubs money.
      It makes absolutely no difference to the owners finances if a player is sold for 100 million or tuppence ha'penny.
      The owners don't take any money out of the club, except what they have previously loaned the club, which is also interest free and as such actually costs them money because they could have invested that money elsewhere and got a greater return than zero on it.

You say they have no motivation to win, but that's just not true.
      They will make their money when they eventually sell up, and the more successful the team is, the more they can sell for.

Then we have the biggest question of all: we just avoided FFP censure, yet people think we can afford to spend any amount we want. How do we spend more (forgetting that they have given BR over 200 million quid), where will the money come from, and how do we avoid FFP censure?

It's all very well saying they should do this, that or the other, but no one seems able to answer these very simple questions about where the money comes from and how we avoid getting fu**ed by FFP.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #17019: Apr 26, 2015 04:11:05 pm
      BRENDAN RODGERS has defiantly claimed he will bring success to Liverpool ā€œif I can get the toolsā€ as he said the club must be ā€œforcefulā€ in the transfer market this summer.

Reading this it's pretty clear what Brendan is wanting from the owners.
      A change in transfer policy! Yes made these kind of statements before though, and they fell on death ears.
      I'd like to believe that it will happen, but I think FSG are happy to stick to the plan.

I'm actually glad he's beginning to speak out mate. He doesn't say much about the owners or the club's internal politics, so when he does, you can pretty much sense he's beginning to pissed off.

Yesterday was so depressing. We dominated possession, but seeing a donkey like GJ labour lethargically, two average strikers come on and fail to make an impression and Stevie's decline all too apparent, it was a game begging to be decided by one moment of quality that we missed desperately. We just need a little more quality to push on, so FSG better start listening up.

Quick Reply