Author Topic: Earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand.  (Read 2078 times)

bigvYNWA Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 16,015 posts | 381 
Earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand.
: February 22, 2011, 02:38:35 AM »
http://www.news.com.au/world/quake-aftershock-hits-christchurch/story-e6frfkyi-1226009960218

Only happened in the last few hours, 6.3 earthquake hitting the centre of the city. Lots of damage, reports coming out that there have indeed been fatalities. Thoughts go out to them all.

Dadorious Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 6,196 posts | 142 
  • "Death by football"
Re: Earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Reply #1 : February 22, 2011, 02:40:50 AM »
Shocking stuff.

Floods, bushfires and now quakes its been a rough ride for this part of the hemisphere the last few months.

Prayers and thoughts with all.

JD Offline
  • LFC Reds Admin
  • 33,247 posts | 959 
Reply #2 : February 22, 2011, 08:17:39 AM »
My best man's just been on the phone.

His mum and dad are in Christchurch - not long been there on one of those retirement holidays of a lifetime thing.

Needless to say - he's panicking and they want to come home.  But at least they're safe.

Thoughts with all our overseas reds and NZ reds that are there and caught up in it all.

racerx34 Offline
  • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 26,074 posts | 779 
Reply #3 : February 22, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »
My heart goes out to the families caught up in it. Southern hemisphere taking some beating lately

NorthernIrishRed Offline
  • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 195 posts |
Reply #4 : February 22, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »
The end is nigh ;)
We all dream of a team dany aggers!

Shabs Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 12,641 posts | 275 
  • Ideal of Hope
Reply #5 : February 22, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »

I also believe that too,one of the signs for end of days is the increase of earth quakes,volcanic activity and flooding all which are happening frequently now.

Roddenberry Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 11,667 posts | 486 
Reply #6 : February 22, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »
The number of seismic stations has increased from about 350 in 1931 to many thousands today. As a result, many more earthquakes are reported than in the past, but this is because of the vast improvement in instrumentation, rather than an increase in the number of earthquakes. The USGS estimates that, since 1900, there have been an average of 18 major earthquakes (magnitude 7.0-7.9) and one great earthquake (magnitude 8.0 or greater) per year, and that this average has been relatively stable.[21] In recent years, the number of major earthquakes per year has decreased, although this is thought likely to be a statistical fluctuation rather than a systematic trend. More detailed statistics on the size and frequency of earthquakes is available from the USGS.[22]

Less big earthquakes than before - what's that a sign of? 
POETRY

bigvYNWA Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 16,015 posts | 381 
Reply #7 : February 22, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
Don't believe in any of that end of the world crap. The world has been around for millions and millions of years, it aint ending in our lifetime. Epitome of human arrogance to believe such a thing would happen in our time.

Anyways, heart goes out to those lost in Christchurch. Shocking images and stories coming out.

Firepool Online
  • Anfield Hero
  • 1,609 posts | 35 
Reply #8 : February 22, 2011, 06:17:04 PM »
My thoughts and prayers go out to the people in Christchurch.

NorthernIrishRed Offline
  • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 195 posts |
Reply #9 : February 22, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
Don't believe in any of that end of the world crap. The world has been around for millions and millions of years, it aint ending in our lifetime

Yes well that's always a good theory to base your beliefs on....
We all dream of a team dany aggers!

bigvYNWA Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 16,015 posts | 381 
Reply #10 : February 22, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »
Yes well that's always a good theory to base your beliefs on....

Theory? It's scientific fact that the world has been around that long. Just saying that there's so much panic on facebook from dumbasses about the world ending and IMO it's just stupid people who don't realize we are merely a blip in world history. The world changes/shifts all the time, this is just part of that process.

AussieRed Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 9,216 posts | 477 
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Reply #11 : February 22, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »
Thoughts and prayers going out to all those in Christchurch. Has anyone heard from Billy1? Hope you're ok bud. Please let us know everything is ok your end. To be honest I can't remember which part of NZ you live in but hope you and your loved ones are ok.

bigvYNWA Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 16,015 posts | 381 
Reply #12 : February 22, 2011, 10:54:25 PM »
Thoughts and prayers going out to all those in Christchurch. Has anyone heard from Billy1? Hope you're ok bud. Please let us know everything is ok your end. To be honest I can't remember which part of NZ you live in but hope you and your loved ones are ok.

I was trying to think of what kiwi friends we had there, completely forgot Billy was a kiwi. Sincerely hope the guys okay, get back to us soon mate! That goes for any other kiwi LFCReds - let us know you're okay!

Really sad reading the news lately. Either natural disasters or revolt it seems.

MsGerrard Offline
  • LFC Reds Staff
  • 28,553 posts | 855 
  • The Reds are coming up the hill boys !!!
Reply #13 : February 23, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

My first thought was of Billy, hope you're ok mate.

And to anyone over there who has been caught up in such dreadful circumstances, my heart goes out to you all.

reddebs Online
  • Anfield Hero
  • 9,056 posts | 338 
Reply #14 : February 23, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
Thought of Billy too when I heard the news.  Hope you and your loved ones are safe mate.

Best wishes to all concerned, our thoughts are with you.

Dave70 Offline
  • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,531 posts | 76 
Reply #15 : February 23, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »
Have worked with loads of Kiwis over the years who have come over here to do agency work for a year or two and have gone back home, some from Christchurch too. Also know a couple of people who have re-located to New Zealand. All of them have been lovely people. I just hope all of them and their family's are okay.

AussieRed Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 9,216 posts | 477 
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Reply #16 : February 24, 2011, 12:33:58 AM »
Heard from Billy. Thankfully he is ok. He was worried about his grandson who attends Uni in Christchurch but has heard from him and all is well.

bigvYNWA Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 16,015 posts | 381 
Reply #17 : February 24, 2011, 02:28:10 AM »
Heard from Billy. Thankfully he is ok. He was worried about his grandson who attends Uni in Christchurch but has heard from him and all is well.

Fantastic to hear :)

HUYTON RED Offline
  • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,316 posts | 718 
Reply #18 : December 23, 2011, 02:35:59 AM »
Been rocked again by another Earthquake.

New Zealand's Christchurch rocked by earthquake

A strong earthquake has rocked the New Zealand city of Christchurch, 10 months after swathes of the city centre were destroyed by another quake.

The 5.8 quake struck 26km (15 miles) north-east of the city at a depth of 4.7km, the US Geological Survey said.

The airport has been evacuated, and electricity and telecommunications services have been disrupted in some areas.

One person was hurt but there were no immediate reports of severe damage.

The earthquake hit at 1358 local time (0058 GMT).

A shopping centre has also been evacuated and residents were reported to be standing outside buildings.

Witnesses told local media shoppers ran from buildings as goods fell off shelves.

Police are checking the city for damage and Prime Minister John Key is being updated on developments, his spokesman said.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said the quake had left people shaken.

"I haven't heard any more significant problems at the moment," local media quoted him as saying.

"Inevitably it would have caused damage to structures, we hope it hasn't unsettled any rock falls, and we just have to hope the liquefaction issues don't return."

Liquefaction is the weakening of the soil due to the rising of silt and water sparked by an earthquake.

Local media said there were reports of liquefaction in the suburb of Parklands.

A total of 181 people were killed when the last earthquake struck in February.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16312041

No Pyro No Party