Author Topic: Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton to appear on Irish S*n sponsored programme  (Read 9135 times)

ORCHARD RED Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 3,921 posts | 134 
  • No warnings since 2011!
Got a reply back from RTE, saying my complaint wil be forwarded one to the person in charge of Premier Soccer Saturday.
I'll try and post the reply later when I get home from work. At least they're taking this seriously.

Brian78 Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 11,941 posts | 423 
  • Liverpool is home from home
While I have my doubts that neither knew who the show sponsor was I do believe they will now pull out of doing the show
LIVERPOOL FC..much more then a football club

stephenmc9 Offline
  • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
  • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
Dear Stephen,

Thanks for the mail,

The comments expressed in your mail will be included in the RTÉ Audience Log which is circulated to senior programme management and submitted for review at RTÉ's Editorial Meetings.

I have also forwarded your mail to the Executive Producer of Premier Soccer Saturday for attention.

Kind Regards,

Yvonne Owens
RTÉ Information

Thats the reply i got today of them.
"I promise to dedicate my life to fight for this club"
~ Brendan Rodgers

little-Luis:) Offline
  • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,774 posts | 170 
  • I Just Can't Get Enough
Houghton + Whealan programme under discussion
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/houghton-and-whelan-programme-sponsorship-row-under-discussion-122928-Apr2011/?utm_source=shortlink

THE CONTROVERSY SURROUNDING the proposed appearance of former Irish internationals Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton on an RTÉ programme that will be sponsored by The Irish S*n is under discussion.

The two former Liverpool players have been criticised by fans after it emerged that the tabloid newspaper which has been boycotted by them for 22 years will sponsor a live edition of RTÉ’s Premier Soccer Saturday programme later this month.

TheJournal.ie understands the issue is under discussion between the station and both players who have contacted them about it but no decision has yet been made.

RTÉ refused to comment when contacted this afternoon.

It is also understood that a small number of complaints were made to RTÉ about the sponsorship deal and the appearance of Houghton and Whelan on programme when it was originally announced at the start of the season.

Liverpool FC declined to comment on the matter but said that with current players they actively enforce a policy of ensuring there are no dealings with The S*n newspaper.

Ray Houghton and Ronnie Whelan could not be reached for comment.

F**k sake lads, it's only 1 episode of the show, just pull out and save some bit of dignity.

ORCHARD RED Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 3,921 posts | 134 
Dear Stephen,

Thanks for the mail,

The comments expressed in your mail will be included in the RTÉ Audience Log which is circulated to senior programme management and submitted for review at RTÉ's Editorial Meetings.

I have also forwarded your mail to the Executive Producer of Premier Soccer Saturday for attention.

Kind Regards,

Yvonne Owens
RTÉ Information

Thats the reply I got today of them.

Thats the same as mine, except i'm not called Stephen ;)

thereds13 Offline
  • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
 RBuxton_LFC Richard Buxton
Word spreading that ex #LFC players Ray Houghton & Ronnie Whelan will no longer appear on RTE's PSS Live due to it is sponsored by The Sun
Yep, let's start judging players on a pre season friendly in Turkey.

• 7,774 posts | 170 
according to Richard Buxton, they are pulling out of the show.

• 7,774 posts | 170 
Liverpool pair pull out of show

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/houghton-and-whelan-withdraw-from-rte-programme-123186-Apr2011/?utm_source=shortlink

RTE has confirmed that former Irish internationals Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton will not be taking part in their Premier Soccer Sunday Live programme following controversy over the show’s sponsorship by The Irish S*n.

The broadcaster said that the panel for the Premier Soccer Sunday live programme will now consist of John Giles, Kenny Cunningham and one additional panellist, to be confirmed and that the two former Liverpool players will not be taking part on 1 May.

Fair play lads. Done the right thing.

fields of anny rd Offline

• 8,932 posts | 190 
  • SAS
Is right! Well played to them both. Not buying that they didn't know about it though. Another victory for the 'internet terrorists' I think.
"Soon I will be able to kick the ball."

Iago Aspas

gazza31 Offline
  • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
Fair play to both of them.
Some say the Liverpool way has died, I say it never will.

Brian78 Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 11,941 posts | 423 
  • Liverpool is home from home
Is right

Well in reds with the email campaign as well
LIVERPOOL FC..much more then a football club

Ard Mhacha Red Offline
  • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
Common sense has prevailed.........

LFC-LCFC Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 3,519 posts | 43 
  • Adopted Scouser
Jim Boardman seems to suspect the decision was made by RTE and not those two muppets. Quotes from Houghton suggests he cares little for the boycott.

They say our days are numbered, we're not famous anymore, but scousers rule the country like we've always done before...

Podge Offline
  • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
In my opinion a few people on here owe an apology to the lads so....i seem to recall some shocking abuse being thrown at them! Legendary status has been restored then?  :f_tongueincheek:
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."- Bill Shankly

Dave70 Offline
  • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,531 posts | 76 
Great news them pulling out of this. They have done the right thing.

ORCHARD RED Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 3,921 posts | 134 
The lads pulling out will get great publicity for the Justice for the 96 campaign.
Respect for doing the right thing in the end.

reddebs Online
  • Anfield Hero
  • 9,866 posts | 401 
The correct decision was taken in the end.

It doesn't really matter who pulled the plug, it's reinforced the strength of the boycott and reminded/educated some people why the boycott exists.

dunlop liddell shankly Offline
  • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
  • Anfield Hero
  • 16,240 posts | 861 
Done the right thing there. Well done, didn't think they would so pleased to be wrong.

stuey Online
  • Anfield Hero
  • 24,970 posts | 1078 
That's fair enough common sense prevailed as well as it shows in no uncertain terms the depth of feeling about the disaster is as profound as ever.

JD Offline
  • LFC Reds Admin
  • 33,579 posts | 1001 
Shame it required the fans to cause a stir.

But common sense has prevailed.  Threat of a demo outside RTE works wonders.

reddebs Online
  • Anfield Hero
  • 9,866 posts | 401 
If this makes other ex players think twice about having any dealings with the rag, indirectly or otherwise then it's another coup for the boycott. 

They need to be reminded that it's not acceptable to any of us and we will make our feelings known.

CRK Offline
  • LFC Reds Staff
  • 13,599 posts | 356 
  • JFT96 YNWA
Excellent news that they're not taking part.

And yes, wholeheartedly agree that this is a huge victory for the boycott. Fairly certain details of potential sponsorship deals will now be disclosed before Reds appear on shows and I'm also fairly certain that any broadcasters who want Liverpool legends to appear on their show will now shun The S*n as a result of this. Two very big wins in my book.

Semple Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 7,791 posts | 122 
  • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
Ray Houghton and Ronnie Whelan withdraw from RTE show

Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton were originally due to appear on the programme
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Families want Dalglish knighthood
Audio slideshow: Remembering Hillsborough
'Sorry' Sun tries to woo Scousers
Liverpool supporters in NI have said they are pleased that former players Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton will not appear on an Irish TV programme sponsored by The Sun.

Liverpool fans boycott the Sun which made a number of unsubstantiated claims about supporters' behaviour during the Hillsborough tragedy.

Whelan and Houghton were originally scheduled to take part in the live May 1 programme but will not now feature. Three other guests will take their places.

Current Liverpool players do not have any involvement with The Sun and the club said it was inadvisable for new players and up-and-coming stars to have any contact with it.

Supporters have refused to buy it since the days following the disaster in 1989 when it printed allegations that some supporters pickpocketed and urinated on victims.

Antipathy

"RTE Sport can confirm that the panel for the Premier Soccer Sunday live programme will consist of John Giles, Kenny Cunningham and one additional panellist, to be confirmed," a spokesperson for the broadcaster said.

"Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton are no longer appearing on the panel on May 1."

Ray Houghton said he did not wish to comment on the issue.

"RTE have put out a statement and I do not have anything to do add to that," he said.

Ronnie Whelan could not be contacted.

Pat McDermott, treasurer of West Belfast Liverpool Supporters Club, said members had been discussing the issue on Monday night.

"From the feelings expressed there, I think people will be delighted that they aren't taking part in the show," he said.

"Non Liverpool supporters do not realise the levels of antipathy of Liverpool fans towards the Sun and by extension the Irish Sun."

The Irish Sun said it did not wish to make any comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13134829

ORCHARD RED Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 3,921 posts | 134 
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 19 Apr 2011 17:10
Subject: FW: Premier Soccer Saturday
To: <barrymc32@googlemail.com>

Dear Barry

Thank you for your comments.  Here is RTE’s position on this matter:

RTÉ Sport can confirm that the panel for the Premier Soccer Sunday live programme will consist of John Giles, Kenny Cunningham and one additional panellist (to be confirmed). Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton are no longer appearing on the panel on May 1st.

Many thanks

Ryan McCann

Editor

Premier Soccer Saturday

Old news now but at least they had the manners to reply.

reddebs Online
  • Anfield Hero
  • 9,866 posts | 401 
I got one too mate.

stephenmc9 Offline
  • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
  • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
Dear Stephen

Thank you for your comments.  Here is RTE’s position on this matter:

RTÉ Sport can confirm that the panel for the Premier Soccer Sunday live programme will consist of John Giles, Kenny Cunningham and one additional panellist (to be confirmed). Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton are no longer appearing on the panel on May 1st.

Many thanks

Ryan McCann

Editor

Premier Soccer Saturday

Happy days.
"I promise to dedicate my life to fight for this club"
~ Brendan Rodgers

KennyIsKing Offline
  • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
Fair play - maybe they can do a bit of research next time, although in fairness, I doubt if many presenters actually look at who is sponsoring a show.

And johnny giles is a complete c**t.
The Start Of A New Era.

37 years, man and boy.
From Shanks to Souness, through thick and thin, red to the core and proud of it.

• 7,774 posts | 170 
If anyone is watching this, well first off it's sh*te. Secondly, 3 tools in the studio crows wearing Liverpool shirts. Surely they should know what they are doing.

Podge Offline
  • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
If anyone is watching this, well first off it's sh*te. Secondly, 3 tools in the studio crows wearing Liverpool shirts. Surely they should know what they are doing.

So you're watching it then??
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."- Bill Shankly

ORCHARD RED Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 3,921 posts | 134 
They didn't happen to mention why Ray and Ronnie were not there did they? That would have been great.