Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton to appear on Irish S*n sponsored programme

Read 22377 times
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Re: Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton to appear on Irish S*n sponsored programme
      Reply #46: Apr 17, 2011 12:05:21 pm
      To be honest guys (and I'm gonna be slated for this!) I think this is maybe a step too far. Ronnie and Ray were great servants to the club and when they were asked to be pundits on the show it probably wasn't clear that the shitrag was sponsoring it! I mean how often does a player ask who sponsors a team before signing with them for instance!
      I met general all around hero and stand up man John Aldridge last night and asked what his opinion on this was and he reckons the lads are top fellas, were great players and are good pundits and he doesn't see any problem with it at all. This is coming from a man who was there on the day and attended 12 funerals of the victims. So to be honest whilst I respect people's opinions I think its incredibly harsh to go slating and turning our backs on two legends for working for a programme that happens to be sponsored by the S*n.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #47: Apr 17, 2011 12:18:35 pm
      On this point alone there can be no excuse for them "not reading the small print", they have agents and legal representatives whose job it is to study contracts and devour the detail within.
      If it were an isolated incident fair enough but they have both come in for criticism previously for the same disrespecful and insulting conduct.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #48: Apr 17, 2011 01:12:31 pm
      To be honest guys (and I'm gonna be slated for this!) I think this is maybe a step too far. Ronnie and Ray were great servants to the club and when they were asked to be pundits on the show it probably wasn't clear that the shitrag was sponsoring it! I mean how often does a player ask who sponsors a team before signing with them for instance!
      I met general all around hero and stand up man John Aldridge last night and asked what his
       opinion on this was and he reckons the lads are top fellas, were great players and are good pundits and he doesn't see any problem with it at all. This is coming from a man who was there on the day and attended 12 funerals of the victims. So to be honest whilst I respect people's opinions I think its incredibly harsh to go slating and turning our backs on two

legends for working for a programme that happens to be sponsored by the S*n.

I have seen Aldo nearly come to blows on numerous occasions in the boozer with regards to Hillsborough and that piece of sh*t paper, whilst I am not doubting what you are saying I am very very surprised.

They should resign end of.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #49: Apr 17, 2011 01:26:09 pm
      I met general all around hero and stand up man John Aldridge last night and asked what his opinion on this was and he reckons the lads are top fellas, were great players and are good pundits and he doesn't see any problem with it at all. This is coming from a man who was there on the day and attended 12 funerals of the victims. So to be honest whilst I respect people's opinions I think its incredibly harsh to go slating and turning our backs on two legends for working for a programme that happens to be sponsored by the S*n.

I bet Aldo wouldn't do it though, same as Rush, Kenny, Digger etc.  

It's not just about whether they were great servants of the Club.

It's about showing respect for 96 innocent people who lost their lives at a football match.

It's about the disgraceful lies they told, that besmirched the good names of fellow LFC fans and the fact that when they were politely asked to tell the world that they had lied, they refused.

It's about the families of those who perished and the survivors who are still trying to cope with the s**t that happened that day and in the days, weeks, months and years after.

It's about 22 years of fighting to right the wrongs that should NEVER of happened in the first place.

They don't deserve to be considered "great servants of the Club" if they go through with this and I hope they live to regret it for the rest of their days   :f_steam:
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #50: Apr 17, 2011 01:44:06 pm
      From Richard Buxton: "Ray Houghton & Ronnie Whelan digging a big hole by denying any knowledge of reviled newspaper sponsoring panel show they will appear on"
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #51: Apr 17, 2011 01:47:33 pm
      From Richard Buxton: "Ray Houghton & Ronnie Whelan digging a big hole by denying any knowledge of reviled newspaper sponsoring panel show they will appear on"

Well if they're saying they didn't know at the time, they do now and should decline to do it. 

Will teach any media organisation not to involve that rag with anyone connected with LFC, past or present.  In fact, they should make better informed choices in who they do business with.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #52: Apr 17, 2011 01:50:08 pm
      Well if they're saying they didn't know at the time, they do now and should decline to do it. 

Agreed. As Podge said, they hardly did ask who the sponsor was when they signed on for the show. But they know now so should take the required action.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #53: Apr 17, 2011 02:21:48 pm
      I have seen Aldo nearly come to blows on numerous occasions in the boozer with regards to Hillsborough and that piece of sh*t paper, whilst I am not doubting what you are saying I am very very surprised.

They should resign end of.

I'm not claiming to be best buddies with Aldo or anything like that, but I was talking to him in Clonmel last night and told him about this thread and asked his opinion. His answer was as I said, they are top blokes, they were great servants to Liverpool football club and they are good at their jobs and he holds no resentment for them in doing what they are doing and he said to quote him on that on here.
      I just feel its a bit much. Whilst I'm fully in support of boycotting the sh*t-rag for the horrendous lies they published, I don't feel it's right for people to come on here and bad mouth two great players for Liverpool for doing a job. Another point is the show is only gonna be sponsored by the S*n from April 30th...the boys have been doing the show for a long time. I'm sure the pundits have no say in who sponsors the programmes, they are just paid to talk about football. So by all means people can go ahead and stop watching it (as I probably will myself) and even write angry-worded letters to RTE, but to come on here and slate to men who have done a lot for this club is a step too far in my opinion. At the end of the day, the buck stops with the families and what they feel is right...but the closest view I got was from a player who was there on the day and attended the funerals, and if he can't see a problem with it, then I don't see why a lot of people on here should.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #54: Apr 17, 2011 02:33:54 pm
      He can't see a problem with it because money has clouded his judgement - or it has been allowed to.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #55: Apr 17, 2011 02:54:13 pm
      So you think Aldo has been corrupted by money just because he doesn't agree with you?

We're talking about the same man who was willing to significantly dip into his own pocket to get the "Share Liverpool" scheme off the ground! The same man who dipped into his own pocket to keep Tranemere Rovers going when he was manager and they were in a bad financial state. I've never heard anyone accuse Aldo of being money motivated or corrupt before! Shocking that!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #56: Apr 17, 2011 03:00:41 pm
      Liverpool fans demand Irish duo quit TV show

Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton were last night under intense pressure from Liverpool supporters to withdraw from an RTE television programme sponsored by The Irish Sun newspaper.

The two former Liverpool and Ireland players are being criticised by supporters of the club because of their involvement in the planned live screening of Premier Soccer Sunday on May 1, sponsored by the paper.

The Sun is still held in contempt by Liverpool supporters for the manner in which it reported the deaths of 96 fans at Hillsborough, 22 years ago last Friday.

Four days after the tragedy, the newspaper ran a front page story with the headline 'The Truth' alleging that fans had picked the pockets of victims, urinated on police and beat up a policeman trying to resuscitate a victim. Those allegations were subsequently retracted and an apology issued 15 years later, but the feelings still run deep and a large-scale boycott of the newspaper continues in the city to this day.

Liverpool fans have been using supporter websites and social media outlets to express their anger and disappointment that two players who were in the Liverpool side that day would allow themselves to be associated with a programme so closely linked to the newspaper.

"Their appearance says to Liverpool supporters that there has been a softening of the stance when there hasn't been any softening," Jim Boardman of anfieldroad.com told the Sunday Independent.

"We've boycotted The Sun for 22 years. We're still waiting for justice for the 96 fans who died and I believe that the stories that appeared in The Sun in 1989 have contributed to the families not receiving justice. I would have expected better from a couple of our old heroes."

Ger Kane, a Liverpool fan from Summerhill, Co Meath, echoed those views: "To have two Liverpool players who played that day in Hillsborough to be associated with The Sun really hurts. Ronnie Whelan was captain that day. He knows what this means. They both attended funerals of those who died. I would be amazed if they weren't aware of it. They shouldn't have anything to do with that paper."

Fans have been discussing possible actions they might take in the event of the show going ahead with Whelan and Houghton, including staging a protest outside RTE's Montrose studios on the night. A number of complaints have been sent to RTE's press department and Kane tried to contact Garston Entertainments, the agency that represents Whelan, but received no reply.

Whelan was on his way to Dubai yesterday and when contacted he said he was not aware of the programme's link with The Sun or of the storm it had caused among supporters and did not wish to make any further comment. "Thanks for letting me know," he said. "I will have to speak to RTE first."

Houghton, in Dublin yesterday to appear on last night's Premier Soccer Saturday, also said it was the first he had heard about it. "I haven't a clue," he said. "I'll obviously have to think about it. I'll have to speak to RTE about it and see what's going on. I'll have to find out about that."

And though neither Whelan nor Houghton need lessons on the extreme emotions aroused by Hillsborough more than 20 years on and the ongoing aftermath in which victims' families still fight for the justice they feel has been denied them, they will be all too aware that the eyes of the Liverpool supporting community are on them, passionately urging them to do what they believe is the right thing.

"Ronnie Whelan was our captain that day and Ray Houghton was a player," added Kane. "Both players attended many of the victims' funerals so to see them associated with a show sponsored by The Sun is sickening to most Liverpool fans and surely it would be unwise for them to go ahead with their appearance."

"As it's a one-off show I would definitely say they should pull out and it would really help the cause," said Boardman. "I can understand that ex-players need to make a living but this is a one-off show so I'd like to see them pull out. Liverpool's support is so strong in Ireland that I think their withdrawal would send a powerful message to The Sun."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/liverpool-fans-demand-irish-duo-quit-tv-show-2621766.html
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #57: Apr 17, 2011 03:06:59 pm
      Fantastic that the contempt of LFC fans has been made public and let's hope that they (Whelan & Houghton) follow Jims comments and pull out of the show.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #58: Apr 17, 2011 03:11:05 pm
      I don't feel it's right for people to come on here and bad mouth two great players for Liverpool for doing a job.

Except it's a job that's got an involvement with that F***ing rag, maybe you don't know what it was like to have that F***ing rag slag off the whole of your home city. Let's not forget, some simple minded F***ing idiots still believe the sh*te that rag came out with.

All this lay off them is bollocks too, did Whelan and Houghton lay off Rafa, when he was getting grief left, right and centre from the media, did they F**k, they joined in sticking the boot in on the man, so, politely I say F**k them!

They appear on that show, they have made their choice, simple as!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #59: Apr 17, 2011 03:48:16 pm
      As soon as the link with the shitrag emerged if their credentials stand for anything both men should have said F**k RTE and F**k that rag, that there is still any mileage to this sad tale is F***ing disgraceful.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #60: Apr 18, 2011 01:01:08 pm
      Got a reply back from RTE, saying my complaint wil be forwarded one to the person in charge of Premier Soccer Saturday.
      I'll try and post the reply later when I get home from work. At least they're taking this seriously.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #61: Apr 18, 2011 01:26:24 pm
      While I have my doubts that neither knew who the show sponsor was I do believe they will now pull out of doing the show
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #62: Apr 18, 2011 02:50:20 pm
      Dear Stephen,

Thanks for the mail,

The comments expressed in your mail will be included in the RTÉ Audience Log which is circulated to senior programme management and submitted for review at RTÉ's Editorial Meetings.

I have also forwarded your mail to the Executive Producer of Premier Soccer Saturday for attention.

Kind Regards,

Yvonne Owens
      RTÉ Information

Thats the reply i got today of them.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #63: Apr 18, 2011 03:05:33 pm
      Houghton + Whealan programme under discussion
      http://thescore.thejournal.ie/houghton-and-whelan-programme-sponsorship-row-under-discussion-122928-Apr2011/?utm_source=shortlink

THE CONTROVERSY SURROUNDING the proposed appearance of former Irish internationals Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton on an RTÉ programme that will be sponsored by The Irish S*n is under discussion.

The two former Liverpool players have been criticised by fans after it emerged that the tabloid newspaper which has been boycotted by them for 22 years will sponsor a live edition of RTÉ’s Premier Soccer Saturday programme later this month.

TheJournal.ie understands the issue is under discussion between the station and both players who have contacted them about it but no decision has yet been made.

RTÉ refused to comment when contacted this afternoon.

It is also understood that a small number of complaints were made to RTÉ about the sponsorship deal and the appearance of Houghton and Whelan on programme when it was originally announced at the start of the season.

Liverpool FC declined to comment on the matter but said that with current players they actively enforce a policy of ensuring there are no dealings with The S*n newspaper.

Ray Houghton and Ronnie Whelan could not be reached for comment.

F**k sake lads, it's only 1 episode of the show, just pull out and save some bit of dignity.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #64: Apr 18, 2011 04:32:54 pm
      Dear Stephen,

Thanks for the mail,

The comments expressed in your mail will be included in the RTÉ Audience Log which is circulated to senior programme management and submitted for review at RTÉ's Editorial Meetings.

I have also forwarded your mail to the Executive Producer of Premier Soccer Saturday for attention.

Kind Regards,

Yvonne Owens
      RTÉ Information

Thats the reply I got today of them.

Thats the same as mine, except i'm not called Stephen ;)
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #65: Apr 18, 2011 07:00:12 pm
       RBuxton_LFC Richard Buxton
      Word spreading that ex #LFC players Ray Houghton & Ronnie Whelan will no longer appear on RTE's PSS Live due to it is sponsored by The Sun

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #66: Apr 18, 2011 07:00:15 pm
      according to Richard Buxton, they are pulling out of the show.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #67: Apr 18, 2011 07:29:28 pm
      Liverpool pair pull out of show

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/houghton-and-whelan-withdraw-from-rte-programme-123186-Apr2011/?utm_source=shortlink

RTE has confirmed that former Irish internationals Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton will not be taking part in their Premier Soccer Sunday Live programme following controversy over the show’s sponsorship by The Irish S*n.

The broadcaster said that the panel for the Premier Soccer Sunday live programme will now consist of John Giles, Kenny Cunningham and one additional panellist, to be confirmed and that the two former Liverpool players will not be taking part on 1 May.

Fair play lads. Done the right thing.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #68: Apr 18, 2011 07:46:37 pm
      Is right! Well played to them both. Not buying that they didn't know about it though. Another victory for the 'internet terrorists' I think.

Quick Reply