Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Liverpool v Chelsea - Pre Match Thread

Read 9012 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Liverpool v Chelsea - Pre Match Thread
      Aug 17, 2007 07:06:47 am
      Liverpool v Chelsea
      FA Premiership
      Sunday 19th August 2007 @ 4pm
      Live on Sky

liverpoollover
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Re: Liverpool v Chelsea - Pre Match Thread
      Reply #1: Aug 17, 2007 07:32:53 am
      Hello Guys and Girls,

I have just joined ur forum. I am a deadly poisoned fan of Liverpool. Coming up is a great game of football b/w two fiercely competitive teams.
      I go with 2-1 to Redz  :o and in team selection; Gerrard will be on the bench with Xabi and Mesche/Momo in the middle and Yossi on the right. Torres upfront with Crouch and Arbeloa/Risse on the right back. Rest pretty much the same.  ;)
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #2: Aug 17, 2007 09:30:11 am
      A brilliant opportunity to gain a crucial lead over our rivals so early on in the season. Chelsea haven't looked comfortable in their first two games, and are there for the taking. Both teams have their captains injured, but whereas Chelsea have Ben Haim as their back up we still have the choice of Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko & Leiva in the middle of the park. Personally I feel it's way too soon to throw Leiva into a game of this magnitude, and Chelsea seem to have gone back to attacking from the wings this season so I don't think Sissoko would have too much effect. Personally I would go for:

Reina

Finnan     Carra    Agger   Arbeloa

Benayoun Masch Alonso     Riise

Kuyt  Torres

Bench: Itandje, Hyypia, Babel, Gerrard, Crouch

Ideally I would go for Gerrard in the middle but it's not worth the risk in my eyes, if anyone will set out to hurt him it's probably Chelsea. I don't really think there is the need for two defensive midfielders but as I said before I don't think Chelsea will play through the middle too much so there wouldn't be much play for Sissoko to break up & the times he'd probably give the ball away would make him more of a hindrance than a help in this game, so Alonso & Mascherano have to get the nod ahead of the inexperienced Leiva. On the right I've picked Benayoun & Riise ahead of Pennant & Babel because of the threat from their wingers, these two seem to be a lot better at tracking back. With Chelsea's failure to capture Alves in time right back is still a weak spot for them though, so it might be an idea to bring on Babel at some point & see what damage he can do.

Up front it has to be our first choice partnership of Kuyt & Torres. They seemed to work well together against Villa despite it being their first competitive game together, and over time should improve further. Chelsea are looking to go with Alex & Ben Haim at the back, an inexperienced partnership, and maybe our strikers could make the most of that.

I'm going to go for 1-0 to us. It will be a close game but I reckon we have enough class to just edge it.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2007 09:33:05 am by EddieC »
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #3: Aug 17, 2007 09:35:00 am
      There's no way I'd start Riise again.....Babel in my eyes...Riise on the bench.
      I'd also start Crouch ahead of Kuyt.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Aug 17, 2007 09:58:03 am
      For me Pennant has always had the measure of ashley cole so id start hime on the right Babel on the left

reina
      finnan        carra               agger         arbeloa

pennant     stevie           masch            babel

crouch                torres   
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Aug 17, 2007 10:15:16 am
      There's no way I'd start Riise again.....Babel in my eyes...Riise on the bench.
      I'd also start Crouch ahead of Kuyt.

A tough one TBH, and one I was in two minds about myself. Babel could quite possibly terrorise whoever they play at right back, but from what I've seen so far he doesn't seem to know the meaning of tracking back, and in a game like this we could get punished severely for that. Riise just got the nod for me purely for the fact that he always seems to have a belter against Chelsea.

For me Pennant has always had the measure of ashley cole so id start hime on the right Babel on the left

reina
      finnan        carra               agger         arbeloa

pennant     stevie           masch            babel

crouch                torres  

If we played that line up I believe we would be severely punished. Obviously this is a must win game for us, but just as importantly it's a must not lose game too. The threat that Chelsea have from the wings combined with us playing two wingers who don't track back would be disasterous IMO. It looks like they will be starting Alex too, who I feel would be capable of keeping Crouch contained.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Aug 17, 2007 10:16:06 am
      I have to say I agree somewhat with what Eddie is saying. Although I wouldnt start Yosi on the right it would have to be Pennant for me as like Brian says he does have the measure of Ashley" I think Im greater than what I actually am" Cole.
      Also have to add that this is a good time to play the chavs as their defence looks a bit in disarray at the moment.
      Without JT there they look somewhat ordinary and I have to note that against Birmingham if it wasnt for the sheer class of attack options Moriniho has they would have pretty much been screwed in that game.

I also have to say I think this game will have a few more goals than what most are stating (even me in the prediction league as Im always caustious) I think we will win it 4-2. Thats my assumption based on what I have seen so far this season, from both sides even in the preseason. My Team would be

Reina
      Risse   Agger   Carra     Finnan
      Pennant Alonso Gerrard Babel
                  Kuyt Torres

Even though some have stated their reservations about Risse, he always raises his game in big matches, and if we get a free kick somewhat nearer than far away from goal, you never know he might come up with goods.
      All in all Im looking forward to this game as it should be a fasinating take on what is to come for the rest of the season.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Aug 17, 2007 10:34:03 am
      We played Chelsea four times last season, one of those games Pennant didn't even play until the 82nd minute, and from what he showed in two of the others there is no way I would say he 'has the measure' of Ashley Cole. He had a very good game aginst them at home in the league, but in the away game he was atrocious, and in the second leg of the Champions League match he did well but nowhere near a level that would convince me he 'has the measure' of Ashley Cole. A better reason for arguing his inclusion would be his pre-season form, and quite possibly I overlooked him too quickly, but if we do play him I can't see us playing Babel on the left too. Rafa has always played that if he has an attack minded player on the left he has someone more defensively minded on the right, and vice versa. Last season whenever Gerrard was out on the right we were finding Garcia or Gonzalez out on the left, and when it was Pennant on the right we'd see Riise or Aurelio on the left. If Pennant plays I would expect to see Riise start on the left.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #8: Aug 17, 2007 11:33:23 am
      GK - Jose Reina
      CB - Daniel Agger
      CB - Jamie Carragher
      LB - John Arne Riise
      RB - Steve Finnan
      CM - Javier Mascherano
      CM - Steven Gerrard
      LM - Ryan Babel
      RM - Yossi Benayoun
      FW - Andriy Voronin
      FW - Fernando Torres

The reason why I pick these players is because they are good link up players and good at keeping possesion. Yossi and Andriy can keep good possesion and they have brilliant link up play which would bring Fernando Torres into the game. Gerrard in the middle because he's that damm good and Mascherano because he never feels pressure, he keeps possesion well and he holds the midfield in place unlike the overrated Xabi Alonso. Ryan Babel at left midfield because his mazy runs could work wonders against Chelsea's right back and he's also got a lot of pace to go with that.

Trust me, Chelsea's defense is big and can defend long balls all day long. Forget playing it long to Crouch or letting Kuyt chase the defenders down, its time we played some real football and let us bring our game to them!
      This is Anfield, we are the team to stop, not them!
      Yawaray
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #9: Aug 17, 2007 12:09:15 pm
      hey guys, why panick?We're beating Chelsea this time so they can go keep their F***ing mouths shut. Benitez is a better tactician than Mourinho so why worry? Choosing my team although is bulshit but I coud just catch some fun - Benitez wont use my list.

------------------------------------------Torres---------Crouch

Babel--------------Mascherano---------------------Gerrard--------------Finnan

Riise-----------------Agger-------------------------Carragher-----------------Arbeloa

-----------------------------------------Reina

We just have to stop the strong and fast Malouda on the left who is a big threat. Finnan would  have to double up with Arbeloa to track him cos he's fast and strong, he could as well deliver some crosses for crouch to devour. Babel would have to track back to help Riise. This is the trick.
      -
      Babel would score his first goal
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #10: Aug 17, 2007 12:20:26 pm
      We just have to stop the strong and fast Malouda on the left who is a big threat. Finnan would  have to double up with Arbeloa to track him cos he's fast and strong, he could as well deliver some crosses for crouch to devour. Babel would have to track back to help Riise. This is the trick. Babel would score his first goal

I completely agree that we have to nulify the threat of Malouda down our right side, he has looked some player since joining them, but no to the extent your suggesting. I don't feel we have to effecftively play with two right backs, just a right midfielder who has a better defensive game, which for me would be Benayoun. On the left we probably could get away with Babel, although it would be good if we had a proper defensive left back behind him, someone like Heinze, as from what he's shown so far he won't offer the fullback a lot of protection. I just feel Riise might have a few problems with no-one in front helping him out, if Kewell was fit I'd play him in front of Riise as he offers a bit more protection, but as it is I'd go with Arbeloa & Riise just to be on the safe side, with Babel to come on if we're handling them well in that area of the pitch.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #11: Aug 17, 2007 12:26:53 pm
      I completely agree that we have to nulify the threat of Malouda down our right side, he has looked some player since joining them, but no to the extent your suggesting. I don't feel we have to effecftively play with two right backs, just a right midfielder who has a better defensive game, which for me would be Benayoun. On the left we probably could get away with Babel, although it would be good if we had a proper defensive left back behind him, someone like Heinze, as from what he's shown so far he won't offer the fullback a lot of protection. I just feel Riise might have a few problems with no-one in front helping him out, if Kewell was fit I'd play him in front of Riise as he offers a bit more protection, but as it is I'd go with Arbeloa & Riise just to be on the safe side, with Babel to come on if we're handling them well in that area of the pitch.

Negative thinking..

I would not worry about the team Chelsea put out, only I worry about the team Rafa puts out!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Aug 17, 2007 01:12:23 pm
      Negative thinking..

I would not worry about the team Chelsea put out, only I worry about the team Rafa puts out!

I wouldn't say it's negative thinking, just erring on the side of caution to be certain. It's not exactly like I've proposed we play 4-5-1, my suggested lineup would still have four players who get into scoring positions, Kuyt, Torres, Benayoun & Riise, but would keep things a little tighter at the back until we've established exactly where the game can be won or lost. If we're coping well with whoever they play on the right then we can bring Babel on for Arbeloa, and in one substitution we've got an attacking lineup very similar to the team you suggested.

I would definately have Gerrard in my team if he was fully fit, that choice isn't being negative it's just I don't trust Chelsea not to try & aggravate the injury. I'd throw him on if it's still 0-0 after 60 minutes but I don't feel it's worth it if we can win the game without risking him.

I'd agree with your argument for Voronin, both he & Kuyt have different attributes that could work well against the opposition, but I would opt for Kuyt. Alex, and to a lesser extent Ben Haim, haven't got the greatest distribution, and the pressure Kuyt puts on defenders when they have possession could force mistakes. I've actually changed my mind & think Voronin would be a better option on the bench than Crouch though.

To not worry about the team Chelsea put out would be naive to say the least. Mourinho isn't the idiot some people seem to make out, he did win the Champions League with an average team, and he could well have a trick up his sleeve for us. If we throw caution to the wind we could well end up being out of the game before we have a chance to turn it around, surely it makes sense to establish where we can hurt them without compromising our defensive situation first. As I said before my selection isn't exactly without any goalthreat as it is, but throw on gerrard and Babel and you have a team that's near enough all out attack. Stick Voronin on as well & you've actually got the exact lineup that you suggested yourself! I still have confidence that my suggested starting XI could get the job done, but we'd also have good options on the bench that could win the game for us rather than just getting a consolation as we're already 3-0 down.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Aug 17, 2007 01:39:56 pm
      do we select our team too much on who the opposition is instead of saying were Liverpool and well play to our strenghts? for example either johnson ferreira or wright philips after his performance there on wednesday will be Chelseas right back so why not get babel out there with maybe riise overlapping from full back to go at them? They are a good side but I believe we can get the 3 points if we play a team that sets out to go at them.
      Cy
      Reply #14: Aug 17, 2007 01:40:30 pm
      This is going to be a hell of a game..

We need to play a concentrate game and for that reason I would also play Riise on the left instead of Babel, on the right Benayoun would be for me the best option, something new to deal with for cole and I like the way he can cut right back in the middle and with Torres in front we could see some deadly one-two..
                                   Reina
      Finnan       Carra     Agger        Arbeloa

Benayoun      Gerrard     Mascherano     Riise

Torres        Crouch

2-0 for the reds with Crouch and Torres on the score sheet...
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Aug 17, 2007 01:46:44 pm
      We played Chelsea four times last season, one of those games Pennant didn't even play until the 82nd minute, and from what he showed in two of the others there is no way I would say he 'has the measure' of Ashley Cole. He had a very good game aginst them at home in the league, but in the away game he was atrocious, and in the second leg of the Champions League match he did well but nowhere near a level that would convince me he 'has the measure' of Ashley Cole.

Sorry Eddie I disagree with you there. I dont think he was atrocious at all in the away league fixture last season. The fact that we lost the game does not detract from his performance in that game cross after cross was placed at Gerrard and Crouchs door and they couldnt put one away. He did well in that game and I have to disagree with you about him not having the measure of Cole. I think he has and has shown on a couple of occasions now that he can beat him one on one. I cant provide stats evidence for this but most of it comes from memory and watching the games quite analitcally.

I do though however agree with some of the howlers he had last season, but come sunday I think he will be playing and will do well again. Also to note with regards your cautionary approach and maybe not to play Stevie, I would urge on the point that by playing Stevie any threat from fat frank would be blanked out. As I stated in another post on the forum fat boy fat is more than sh*t scared of stevie and even if his toe prevents a clean connection on the ball for a shot, his sheer strength and warp drive mentality is more than enough to cope with anything that the chavs can throw through the middle of the park.
      This leaves the wings to try and attack but as long as the fullbax do there stuff SWP and his oppo will have a hard job on their hands to find any penatration. I think this may lead them to be susseptable to a quick counter attack and be punished for it, similar to how Birmingham did them twice last Saturday.
      foxy
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts | -11 
      Reply #16: Aug 17, 2007 02:10:44 pm
      I have to say reading your threads, it does make me laugh the fact that you are almost terrified of the current Chelsea squad. All I can say is that looking at our £24m signing of Malouda and free signings of Pizzaro and others looks like after both scoring on thier debut that we got value for money!! unlike your near £50m load of tut with Torres, how many times did he miss the goal on his debut? Ah and your Captain is injured, you forget that Chelsea are practily back to full strength we get Terry back, Drogba is already up to full fitness, so prepare yourselves for a thrashing!!

Ah well i will look forward to waking up on Monday seeing that Chelsea have another 3 easy points in the bag!!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #17: Aug 17, 2007 02:14:59 pm
      do we select our team too much on who the opposition is instead of saying were Liverpool and well play to our strenghts? for example either johnson ferreira or wright philips after his performance there on wednesday will be Chelseas right back so why not get babel out there with maybe riise overlapping from full back to go at them? They are a good side but I believe we can get the 3 points if we play a team that sets out to go at them.

You're right about their right back being a chink in the armour and there is a case for playing Babel there, but we don't know who they're playing on the right wing. Suppose Mourinho anticipates us attacking their right back, let's face it if we've thought of it I'm sure he has, and decides that the best way to counter it is to attack us down that side, playing Joe Cole or possibly even Malouda on the right, and having one of the strikers drift out to that flank. With the lack of tracking back Babel's shown to date it could leave Riise trying to deal with two players by himself, or Agger coming out of position to help him, leaving space in the middle. It may well not pan out like that at all but which makes more sense, having the options on the bench to attack the right back if they turn out to be no threat down that side or having the players on the bench to add defensive strength after we've already conceded a goal or two?
      foxy
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts | -11 
      Reply #18: Aug 17, 2007 02:28:30 pm
      I'm a tw*t.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2007 03:13:15 pm by EddieC »
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #19: Aug 17, 2007 02:36:19 pm
      I detect some brown trousers, eh did someone do something?  ???

Foxy = never posts later than 10pm & never before 8am...mainly in the morning & early afternoon...I smell a pubescent!

Come back when you got a pair!
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: Aug 17, 2007 07:25:03 pm
      1 adult ticket spare at face value £36.00 it is in the upper Anny road PM me if anyone is interested
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #21: Aug 18, 2007 12:19:26 am
      I hope we smash them, simple as that ;D. 2-0 or 3-0
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #22: Aug 18, 2007 02:19:22 am
      my vote would be simple.....
                              RIENA
      FINNAN     CARRA       AGGER    ARBELOA

PENNANT   MASCH     GERRARD  RISSE

KUYT(SUB VORONIN)  TORRES

this way risse will handle malouda and possibly gives us a power goal as usual against chelsea.  kuyt will run the new chelsea defense ragid and confuse and strech them giving torres and gerrard the chance to run through.  pennant will burn cole and noone they have up front will bother our defensive fortress.  veronin should come in around the 70th and give some fresh, new movement and stretch the defensse out a little more.  Thaat is unless we already have the lead we should pull gerrard (rest his foot) and put kuyt back a bit and bring in alonso and drop masch back right infront of carra and agger.  This will win the game.    I say 2-0 with torres and kuyt on the score sheet

Quick Reply