Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Torres and Voronin - The Perfect Partnership?

Read 10846 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Torres and Voronin - The Perfect Partnership?
      Aug 25, 2007 06:57:31 pm
      Today I think we looked a lot more slick when attacking. Torres and Voronin are two new faces to us this season but I feel they could be the missing piece from last season. It was their first real game together and I've got to admit they do look like once they understand each others game they can be a deadly threat to oppositions.

Last season we had Bellamy, Kuyt, Fowler and Crouch. Out of those four the only player who had pace was Craig Bellamy but the other part of his game lacked. Fowler was getting on a bit so our partnership up front was usually Crouch and Kuyt. Good partnership but lacked sharpness and pace and thats what Voronin and Torres will give us this season.

I don't want to say they will definitely be the perfect partnership up front but thats my gut feeling and I just want to share that with you guys.

Any thoughts?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Torres and Voronin - The Perfect Partnership?
      Reply #1: Aug 25, 2007 07:27:19 pm
      Today I think we looked a lot more slick when attacking. Torres and Voronin are two new faces to us this season but I feel they could be the missing piece from last season. It was their first real game together and I've got to admit they do look like once they understand each others game they can be a deadly threat to oppositions.

Last season we had Bellamy, Kuyt, Fowler and Crouch. Out of those four the only player who had pace was Craig Bellamy but the other part of his game lacked. Fowler was getting on a bit so our partnership up front was usually Crouch and Kuyt. Good partnership but lacked sharpness and pace and thats what Voronin and Torres will give us this season.

I don't want to say they will definitely be the perfect partnership up front but thats my gut feeling and I just want to share that with you guys.

Any thoughts?

It is a very good partnership upfront.  Maybe a sign of things to come.

I do like Torres and Kuyt upfront.  It seems like our strongest partnership at the moment.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Crouchy now!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Aug 25, 2007 08:56:39 pm
      Many people will disagree with me but I don't think Crouch is in Rafa's plans anymore. Thing is Rafa would keep on to Crouch but will Crouch want to be playing Carling Cup games instead of Premiership games? Will Crouch want to be a sub and come on in the last 10 minutes? Will Crouch settle for sitting in the stands? Will Crouch want to be dropped for International games? Of course not, I feel next summer is his best time to go because he won't get much of a chance here. 270 minutes of Premiership football played and Crouch takes part in what 10 minutes of it?!

Why I also say they could be the perfect partnership is because they don't wander off to the flanks.

Bellamy and Kuyt always wandering off to the flanks, Crouch is too slow to make runs through the center so he needs service from wingers.

With Torres and Voronin you've got pace through the center of the final third which we've lacked since the days of Michael Owen. Remember Bellamy is quick but his runs were forever offside and he was forever wandering around the left flank.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #3: Aug 25, 2007 09:31:33 pm
      Many people will disagree with me but I don't think Crouch is in Rafa's plans anymore. Thing is Rafa would keep on to Crouch but will Crouch want to be playing Carling Cup games instead of Premiership games? Will Crouch want to be a sub and come on in the last 10 minutes? Will Crouch settle for sitting in the stands? Will Crouch want to be dropped for International games? Of course not, I feel next summer is his best time to go because he won't get much of a chance here. 270 minutes of Premiership football played and Crouch takes part in what 10 minutes of it?!

Why I also say they could be the perfect partnership is because they don't wander off to the flanks.

Bellamy and Kuyt always wandering off to the flanks, Crouch is too slow to make runs through the center so he needs service from wingers.

With Torres and Voronin you've got pace through the center of the final third which we've lacked since the days of Michael Owen. Remember Bellamy is quick but his runs were forever offside and he was forever wandering around the left flank.

hate to admit it but you have a valid point there mate, if Torres and Voronin works well like we saw today then why change it? ok I know Rafa likes his rotation but Crouch has one song whereas Voronin, Kuyt and Torres all have a 40gig Ipod up their sleeves.  Crouch will probably get a bit pissed off with this but I'm sure they all understand it's simply not possible to give two of them all the games.
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2007 09:40:01 pm
      I have to agree I'm afraid. Crouch is brilliant at what he does, both for Liverpool and England, but he does seem to be somewhat of a 'one trick pony'...
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #5: Aug 25, 2007 09:44:09 pm
      like it darling
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #6: Aug 25, 2007 09:45:10 pm
      Thanks ;D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Aug 25, 2007 09:46:34 pm
      I hope he is still in Benitez's plans! It can never hurt to have different types of strikers lined up for different matches! It would be a little harsh if he told him to stay as he was in his plans and then benched him!  :-\

On the topic of Torres and Voronin, it does seem like it's quite a handy partnership! Hopefully we can keep the opposition guessing though! Even we don't know how the team's going to play so perhaps this is a bit of an advantage!
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #8: Aug 25, 2007 09:50:47 pm
      It would be a little harsh if he told him to stay as he was in his plans and then benched him!  :-\

This is true. But I don't see him starting as many matches this season as he did last. I think he's going to be more of a substitute. It hurts me to say it, it really does, because I love what Crouch can do. I just think Benitez might think he's got more possibilities with Voronin / Kuyt and Torres up front.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Aug 25, 2007 09:57:21 pm
      This is true. But I don't see him starting as many matches this season as he did last. I think he's going to be more of a substitute. It hurts me to say it, it really does, because I love what Crouch can do. I just think Benitez might think he's got more possibilities with Voronin / Kuyt and Torres up front.

There's no denying, no matter how much it pains me to admit, that Kuyt, Voronin and Torres are the better options! They work the ball more and are more dangerous to the opposition!

Crouch is good to get the long balls into and F**k up creative teams! But as we play creative sides a little less often, I can't really see him being drafted in too often! Especially with Torres showing so much promise!

It's a necessary problem when you have a good squad with many quality players!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2007 05:14:53 am
      Torres and Voronin the perfect partnership today - yes.

For the whole of the season? No.
      For me I think it will be Torres and Kuyt most of the season.

If you're coming up against sides like Sunderland, our quality is going to outshine every time.
      Voronin is a scrapper. He's dogged and determined. Plays against sides that defend deep and try to make things difficult and scrappy.

If you come up against sides that don't rely on that dogged ten men behind the ball ethic, the ones that really have quality to play proper football in the pass and move trend. Then I'm fairly sure you'll see Kuyt and Torres.
      Kuyt will run all day long for you and get himself into positions to feed a pass, open the defense and Torres will make space all over the back four with his pace, but feed off Kuyts movement. It's all very clever really.

One thing's for sure though. If Voronin carries on the scoring when he plays, he's going to be giving Rafa a very good headache!!!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #11: Aug 26, 2007 09:05:00 am
      Well I have to reitterate what others are saying here. Torres and Vorinin look very much suited to each other and are looking the real deal.
      With a little more playing together they have the makings of a great partnership, but I think you will find that Crouch will play far more in the European games because a lot of defences in Europe are very wary of him. Crouch and Torres for most of the European games where Crouchy can get flick ons for Torres to run onto then Vorinin and Torres for the EPL because Vorinin is a very physical kind of forward, then Kuyt to intermingal and change things up a bit with his work rate and unselfish plays.

All in all this is a very exciting time to watch things develop and will prove the so called media pundits and media hype about Rafas rotatation policies are complete bollox. Week after week I hear people like Paul"Junkie" Merson harp on about rotation not being the key to the success of a team, its about time that tw*ts like him realease that Football is no longer a team game but a squad game. This is because of the intense physical demands of the game today unlike when they were drinking umm I mean playing.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #12: Aug 26, 2007 09:22:09 am
      I tink Kuyt behind torres to do the dirty work and to push torres futher up. voronin as a sub im almost certain crouch will leave before feburary
      Cy
      Reply #13: Aug 26, 2007 12:27:32 pm
      Torres and Voronin does look strong and pacy in front but don't you think it is a bit premature to write Crouchy off? Crouch knows he has to work hard and I'm convinced he will, I like Torres Voronin in front, I also like Torres Kuyt partnership, but I don't beleive for a second that Crouch is not in RAFA's plans. Crouch is still a player who gives you option especially in Europe, he cause problems with his size no questions about it.

It's still early days....
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #14: Aug 26, 2007 11:01:53 pm
      i do think this could be a very good partnership because both of them are a handful for defenders.  One with his brute strength and the other with his pace and technique.  I think these two need to be played as a partnership more often.
      rees
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 26, 2007 11:28:45 pm
      Kuyt and torres make better partnership than torres and vorrin but if babel worked with torres we would be scoring more goals that means more points so we would win loads of cups
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #16: Aug 26, 2007 11:43:31 pm
      I think babel should play predominantly as a striker this season.  We need a quality left winger and its up to Babel to occupy that role.  As for kuyt he is a quality player that will improve his sharpness in front of goal, but I feel that veronin on current form is more of a threat to defenders and hence would make a better partner for Torres in the short term. 
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2008 02:00:51 am by king kenny »
      alankeyz
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #17: Aug 27, 2007 12:17:58 am
      I have to agree, i think kuyt and crouch will be a great partnership but the first team should include torres and voronin.... with there speed and ability they have to be the best strike force we have... don't forget being a striker is second nature to babel so we do actually have three strikers... also i would like to add that crouch has got the height yeah sure and crouch plays deep but lets not forget that torres is no small man and that he like to come from deep when he scores
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #18: Aug 27, 2007 05:56:39 am
      I thought they looked good against Sunderland but if we were playing a bigger team id go with Torres and Kuyt up front,i dont think Voronin would last 90mins against the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea.
      bigredarmy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -1 
      Reply #19: Aug 27, 2007 06:37:42 am
      agreed on all points, voronin & torres make a good pair, and kuyt torres would still be used for some other games, rafa will know which is more suitable.  maybe kuyt & crouch more for CL, voronin & torres in PL
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #20: Aug 27, 2007 12:22:36 pm
      Torres and Voronin looked good on Saturday against Sunderland but I think Torres is really starting to exert his influence and is leading the line well at this stage. He gave his markers a torrid time, breaking away and creating good opportunities for Voronin. He is really looking strong and classy. I'll say it again, our real problem is who do we partner him with...
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #21: Mar 26, 2008 08:32:36 pm
      PMSL at this.  :lmao:
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #22: Mar 26, 2008 08:35:34 pm

Ha Ha!!!  :lmao:

Nice one. It's funny how most of us were thinking this was going to be true. But to be fair to Voronin, he did start off OK.

Quick Reply