Author Topic: NOTW/Milly Dowler, Phone Hacking  (Read 12863 times)

RedLFCBlood Online
  • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,891 posts | 1306 
  • Lifes a bi*ch Tom, then you Die (Hopefully)
Re: NOTW/Milly Dowler, Phone Hacking
Reply #60 : July 07, 2011, 08:55:01 PM »
Can people please remove their links to what could potentially be a S*n website in the future.

Changed to the scum, was just spreading awareness.

waltonl4 Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 11,847 posts | 356 
Reply #61 : July 07, 2011, 09:45:14 PM »
Yes it will become the sunday scum and people will buy it.It beggars belief really are people so thick,unfortunately the answer is yes.

RedPuppy Online
  • LFC Reds Staff
  • 12,794 posts | 358 
  • Parum Rutilus Canis
Reply #62 : July 07, 2011, 09:47:40 PM »
If they think the rule of FIFA apply here they are wrong. Just because Jack Warner is "Presumed Innocent" because he resigned, does not mean sh*t in this country. Even if you close down that rag, we still want our pound of flesh.

What is devastating is the fact that the other rag will be jumping into dead man's shoes and peddling their poison 7 days a week.

NAPM

waltonl4 Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 11,847 posts | 356 
Reply #63 : July 07, 2011, 09:50:32 PM »
Some of the Guardian journos have been banging on about this for some considerable time.Some of the NOTW journo's will be completely innocent of the vile goings on.I dont read it so I dont know who they are but I know that a few people in the paper from the previous editor down have got away with it as they always do.The foot soldiers always pay the price.
The NOTW is supposed to be the sacraficial lamb so we all think justice has been done.They are good at playing th elong game.

fields of anny rd Offline
  • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,968 posts | 194 
  • SAS
Reply #64 : July 07, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »
Looking forward to Mock the Week tonight. I bet they have a field day at the expense of these cu*ts.
"Soon I will be able to kick the ball."

Iago Aspas

RedPuppy Online
  • LFC Reds Staff
  • 12,794 posts | 358 
  • Parum Rutilus Canis
Reply #65 : July 07, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
Looking forward to Mock the Week tonight. I bet they have a field day at the expense of these cu*ts.

Recorded before today. Lucky bas**rds! Next week then.

NAPM

daveyd Offline
  • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 12 
  • this time we're gonna win the league
Reply #66 : July 07, 2011, 10:50:39 PM »
Those fcuker's are just rebranding one pile of sh*te into a bigger pile of sh*te. Same message to everyone. ''STAY AWAY''from any ''Rag''associated to that group of scum.

Frankly, Mr Shankly Offline

• 8,752 posts | 312 
  • YNWA
Reply #67 : July 07, 2011, 10:53:12 PM »
Hugh Grant giving it balls and all on Question Time making Chris Grayling squirm just like his leader. Is Cameron really thick to not realise that he'd come out tops if he and every other senior politician pulled out of Murdoch's arse now? Ed Miliband has done the decent thing and spoke out against them. Come on David...we're waiting.
" Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor. " Bill Shankly

LFCexiled Online
  • Forum ITK
  • Anfield Hero
  • 10,158 posts | 525 
  • JFT96
Reply #68 : July 07, 2011, 11:37:36 PM »
paul_tomkins Paul Tomkins
by JimBoardman
RT @Athaelvis: @JimBoardman @Andrew_Heaton @paul_tomkins I think that today is a good day to get #JFT96 trending - educate the masses!
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
[/URL]

TKIDLLTK Offline

• 8,362 posts | 158 
Reply #69 : July 08, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »
Disgusted at NOTW, shocked at the depths of depravity - even for them. Glad they'll have to be paying compensation into the hundreds of millions.

However, we must be careful that we do not let the government be railroaded into further state control over the media and some kind of PR driven, heavy-handed response that undermines freedom of speech.  What the NOTW did was a crime and they will and must be held to account for that.  We do not need any further legislation in this matter.  The decline obliberation of the NOTW is enough to persuade every other journalist not to even consider doing something similar.

stuey Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 25,376 posts | 1105 
Reply #70 : July 08, 2011, 05:53:12 AM »
Although I'm made up to hear about the NOTW closing down, it's just a bad f**king shithouse way of avoiding responsibility for what has been an unbelievable disgraceful act of paid work by an organisation.

Correct mate and if this wasn't set to rumble on and roll over the arseholes they might have got away with it, no it looks as though there is a lot more meat on this particular bone and casting some soiled paper away will solve nothing.

stuey Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 25,376 posts | 1105 
Reply #71 : July 08, 2011, 06:19:04 AM »
Disgusted at NOTW, shocked at the depths of depravity - even for them. Glad they'll have to be paying compensation into the hundreds of millions.

However, we must be careful that we do not let the government be railroaded into further state control over the media and some kind of PR driven, heavy-handed response that undermines freedom of speech.  What the NOTW did was a crime and they will and must be held to account for that.  We do not need any further legislation in this matter.  The decline obliberation of the NOTW is enough to persuade every other journalist not to even consider doing something similar.
Of course and as with any other nefarious activity the government would seek to implement legislation that would affect the situation and any associated security measures are a bonus.
This scenario is different in that the government and the insidious media/Murdoch are like peas in a pod and it will be interesting to see who are the fall guys and who gets' dragged down.
Journalism has been trolled through the sewers by a minority and exterminating the culprits is vital but we all know who has the power to carry on regardless.    

TKIDLLTK Offline

• 8,362 posts | 158 
Reply #72 : July 08, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »
Of course and as with any other nefarious activity the government would seek to implement legislation that would affect the situation and any associated security measures are a bonus.     

Point is stuey we don't need new legislation, this reactionary attitude to problems is not rational, we already have all the necessary laws to prevent this, certain people broke them and should be held to account for their crimes and be banged up. 

stuey Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 25,376 posts | 1105 
Reply #73 : July 08, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »
Point is stuey we don't need new legislation, this reactionary attitude to problems is not rational, we already have all the necessary laws to prevent this, certain people broke them and should be held to account for their crimes and be banged up.  
The very point I was making! The authorities would as procedure, take advantage of the situation and instigate further measures to control free speech etc.
 In this case because of the nature of the matter this not an option, indeed the government is one of the co-accused and if anything are on the back foot on the civil liberties agenda.

racerx34 Offline
  • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,325 posts | 872 
  • Players come and go, Liverpool remains
Reply #74 : July 08, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
Should we change our voicemessages: Sorry I can't answer the phone right now, but if you leave your name and number I'll read your message in the NoTW.

TKIDLLTK Offline

• 8,362 posts | 158 
Reply #75 : July 08, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
Seems like Cameron is crumbling under the pressure of this and is announcing inquiries left, right and centre.

Expect PCC to be scrapped and replaced by some authoritarian but ever-so PC QUANGO

robbieisgod23/9
Reply #76 : July 08, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »
The whole situation is a discrace, closing the notw is just face saving by murdoch and his group, a look we agree with you the whole act is terrible the paper will close.. but that bollocks, you telling me that he didnt know what was going on at his own paper, that cash payments were being made to people for this type of stuff.. any other owner would know that this type of money was disapearing from the company.. he must think we are mugs. They have done this to protect the takeover of bsb.. the goverment should block that takeover.
The f**king s** to go 7 days a week is the rumour.. f**k off murdoch you dick..

stuey Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 25,376 posts | 1105 
Reply #77 : July 08, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »
Seems like Cameron is crumbling under the pressure of this and is announcing inquiries left, right and centre.

Expect PCC to be scrapped and replaced by some authoritarian but ever-so PC QUANGO
The Civil Service will be overjoyed and will start a petition for a new series of Yes Prime Minister, with strict censorship issues of course.

waltonl4 Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 11,847 posts | 356 
Reply #78 : July 08, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
If we dont have any inquiries how will they brush it under the carpet. Sorry for being a major cynic but when did an inquiry ever result in anyhting other than a lot of people being paid a lot of money to come up with nothing.
If the Police,The Media and The Politicians are al involved then who is going to ask the questions. Total waste of time an dmoney.Murdoch will get his way in time the media will carry on after keeping their heads down for a bit and the Politicains willl do what they always do ..look after their own interests.
Meanwhile Food goes up 6% Gas and Elec is about to go up by nearly 20% Petrol is over £6.00p a gallon.
The Government couldnt have asked for a better diversion from the harsh reality that  most of us are facing.

racerx34 Offline
  • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,325 posts | 872 
Reply #79 : July 08, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
If we dont have any inquiries how will they brush it under the carpet. Sorry for being a major cynic but when did an inquiry ever result in anyhting other than a lot of people being paid a lot of money to come up with nothing.
If the Police,The Media and The Politicians are al involved then who is going to ask the questions. Total waste of time an dmoney.Murdoch will get his way in time the media will carry on after keeping their heads down for a bit and the Politicains willl do what they always do ..look after their own interests.
Meanwhile Food goes up 6% Gas and Elec is about to go up by nearly 20% Petrol is over £6.00p a gallon.
The Government couldnt have asked for a better diversion from the harsh reality that  most of us are facing.

Don't forget another f**king interest hike on our mortgages on houses that aren't worth half of what they were bought for.
Families are nearly on their knees... Sorry that's mostly an Irish problem

stuey Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 25,376 posts | 1105 
Reply #80 : July 08, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »
Don't forget another f**king interest hike on our mortgages on houses that aren't worth half of what they were bought for.
Families are nearly on their knees... Sorry that's mostly an Irish problem
It's not an Irish problem by any means mate, negative equity is biting all our arses and will continue it looks like while the "economic woes" prevail.

racerx34 Offline
  • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,325 posts | 872 
Reply #81 : July 08, 2011, 03:39:15 PM »
BrandRepublic BrandRepublic
 by sianisit
The first signs of NotW contagion? Renault extends ad boycott to all News International titles - http://bit.ly/qSb8vt

Renault extends ad boycott to all News International titles
By Staff, brandrepublic.com, 08 July 2011, 02:50PM

Renault has become the first advertiser to publicly extend its advertising boycott to cover all News International newspapers despite the publisher's decision to close the News of the World.

Renault: 'va va voom' TV campaign

In a statement today, Renault said: "As a result of the seriousness of the continued allegations of phone hacking by News of the World, Renault is reviewing its media advertising plans, pending the formal investigations. We currently have no advertising planned in any News International press titles in the immediate future."

The decision will be a blow to News International who took unprecedented action yesterday, closing the 168-year-old Sunday paper, in an attempt to repair its damaged reputation.

Renault spent £343,829 with the News of the World in the 12 months to the end of April, 2011, according to Nielsen.

During the course of yesterday, a trickle turned into a flood of advertisers pulling out of the News of the World under pressure from consumers following allegations it had hacked into the mobile phone of Milly Dowler, a story broken by the Guardian on Monday.

One of those advertisers, Shop Direct, put an advertising boycott in place yesterday of all News International newspapers, pending the outcome of the investigation.

At the time of publication, it was yet to return calls asking if it planned to continue with the boycott following the decision to close the News of the

fields of anny rd Offline

• 8,968 posts | 194 
  • SAS
Reply #82 : July 08, 2011, 10:47:45 PM »
Steve Coogan is sticking the boot in to these cu*ts on Newsnight.

Go on Steve lad! He is someone people will listen to.
"Soon I will be able to kick the ball."

Iago Aspas

red trooper Offline
  • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
  • and don't be afraid of the dark
Reply #83 : July 09, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »
what gets me is that obviously the police are taking bribes and there is money set aside for this ....accountants looking through the finances would find this 'dirty money' easily . Murdoch must know what goes on as he is ultimately responsible for the business, hacking the phones of innocents and bereaved people is deplorable and the courts should jail these buggers for this ! have they hindered finding missing children in thIs act?
Red Trooper

stuey Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 25,376 posts | 1105 
Reply #84 : July 10, 2011, 12:28:13 AM »
what gets me is that obviously the police are taking bribes and there is money set aside for this ....accountants looking through the finances would find this 'dirty money' easily . Murdoch must know what goes on as he is ultimately responsible for the business, hacking the phones of innocents and bereaved people is deplorable and the courts should jail these buggers for this ! have they hindered finding missing children in thIs act?
Of course that is Murdochs modus operandi well honed and practiced over some years and he has risen to such heights as to feel impregnable, his arrogance has reached new levels and has proved his undoing.

AJ Offline

• 6,204 posts | 71 
  • Put the champagne on ice, going to Wembley Thrice!
Reply #85 : July 10, 2011, 12:56:12 AM »
This whole business is quite sickening really, to think all the stories that we have ever read in that paper could have been obtained by using such immoral methods, then again they are connected to that other paper of which I do not need to mention so it should not come as a big surprise.

robbieisgod23/9
Reply #86 : July 10, 2011, 09:28:51 AM »

the whole act is corrupt and immoral, if the goverment and the independant police investigation have anything about them then the people responsible should be sent down, including murdoch.. and the takeover of bsb should be blocked immediatly

stuey Offline
  • Anfield Hero
  • 25,376 posts | 1105 
Reply #87 : July 10, 2011, 11:43:50 AM »
Peter Kilfoyle the former MP for Walton was told his phone had been hacked by police investigating allegations against TNOTW, Mr Kilfoyle said those responsible should be jailed in the same way corrupt MP's involved in the expenses scandal were. He added that he believed the decision to close TNOTW in the midst of the arrest of former editor Andy Coulson was "a cynical ploy".

He also said that the planned parliamentary enquiries would not get to the bottom of the affair because "the danger with enquiries is they give you what you want to hear but not what you really need to know".

Mr Kilfoyle sent a text message to MP Tom Watson who has been the most vociferous politician in condemning News International, to remind him of the fact that "although the closing of TNOTW appears to be a victory for fairness and justice, I believe it is just a tactic played in the bigger battle" referring to Murdoch fighting for control of BSkyB.

To put that in context Murdoch believes the hacking scandal and all of it's ramifications involving HM government and the establishment in general is merely a hurdle to be overcome with the supposed symbolic sacrifice of one of his many assets in his quest to acquire BSkyB.

You could not make it up!! the mans' arrogance does indeed border on psychotic, he believes he can deceive the universe with a little help from his friends in the form of Diddy David Cameron et al.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:23:20 PM by stuey »

The Last King of Scotland Offline
  • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
Reply #88 : July 10, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »
This is one of the biggest stories in media history if not the biggest.

There are apparently queues in places to get the last edition of the NOTW.

I've never bought it, and I've never bought the S*n but the reasons were different.

Obviously I have an I.Q higher than one so I couldn't give a sh*t about free bingo when I choose my reading material so neither paper would have really intrigued me anyway but I never diluted my hatred of the S*n through BskyB or NOTW.

RedPuppy Online
  • LFC Reds Staff
  • 12,794 posts | 358 
  • Parum Rutilus Canis
Reply #89 : July 10, 2011, 03:32:27 PM »
And the walls come tumbling down........hopefully.

News International found 'smoking gun' e-mails in 2007
News International found e-mails in 2007 that appeared to indicate that payments were being made to the police for information, although this evidence of alleged criminal behaviour was not handed to the Metropolitan Police for investigation until 20 June of this year.

According to sources, these e-mails were in the possession of the firm of solicitors, Harbottle & Lewis.

They were retrieved from Harbottle & Lewis by lawyers acting for News Interernational and for William Lewis - general manager of News International - who is in charge of News International's clean-up of what went wrong at the News of the World (and who was recruited by News International last July).

The e-mails appear to show Andy Coulson, editor of the News of the World from 2003-2007, authorising payments to the police for help with stories.

They also appear to show that phone hacking went wider than the activities of a single rogue reporter, which was the News of the World's claim at the time.

Mr Coulson, who subsequently became David Cameron's director of communications in 10 Downing Street, was arrested and bailed last week.

In a letter presented to the Commons Culture, Media and Sport select committee, Harbottle & Lewis confirmed that it had been asked by News International to review whether the illegal actions of Clive Goodman - the News of the World's former royal editor, jailed in 2007 for phone hacking - were known to his News of the World colleagues.

In this letter, dated 29 May 2007, and sent to Jon Chapman of News International, Lawrence Abramson of Harbottle & Lewis wrote that it had "reviewed e-mails to which you have provided access from the accounts of Andy Coulson, Stuart Kuttner, Ian Edmondson, Clive Goodman, Neil Wallis, Jules Stenson".

Mr Abramson confirmed to Mr Chapman that it "did not find anything in those e-mails which appeared to us to be reasonable evidence that Clive Goodman's illegal actions were known about and supported by both or either of Andy Coulson, the editor, and Neil Wallis, the deputy editor, and/or that Ian Edmondson, the news editor, and others were carrying out similar illegal procedures".

The letter from Mr Abramson to Mr Chapman makes no mention of whether the e-mails contain evidence of wrongdoing by journalists other than Mr Goodman.

However, when William Lewis and his fellow News International executives re-acquired those e-mails from Harbottle & Lewis, they found what they perceived to be prima facie evidence that the illegal phone hacking went wider than just the activities of Mr Goodman and that there were potentially illegal payments to the police.

William Lewis went looking for these e-mails after the Metropolitan Police of Operation Weeting, who are investigating alleged phone hacking, enquired about the existence of 2,500 e-mails that Colin Myler - who replaced Andy Coulson as editor of the News of the World - mentioned to MPs on the Culture, Media and Sport committee.

Mr Myler told the MPs these e-mails had been trawled through as part of his own inquiry into whether hacking was carried out by others than Mr Goodman.

In response to a question by the MP Philip Davies about whether Mr Goodman was working alone, Mr Myler said: "I conducted this inquiry with Daniel Cloke, our director of human resources. Over 2,500 e-mails were accessed because we were exploring whether or not there was any other evidence to suggest essentially what you are hinting at. No evidence was found; that is up to 2,500 e-mails".

William Lewis and his News International colleagues on a newly created management and standards committee have not found the full 2,500 e-mails mentioned by Mr Myler, just the sub-set of 300 that were passed to Harbottle & Lewis.

The disclosure that News International found 300 e-mails as long ago as 2007, that indicated wider malpractices at the News of the World than those which led to the jailing of Mr Goodman and of the private detective Glen Mulcaire, will pose very difficult questions for News International's chairman, James Murdoch, son of Rupert Murdoch.

In December 2007, James Murdoch took charge of News International as chief executive of the European and Asian operations of its parent company, News Corporation.

Some four months later, in April 2008, he authorised the payment of a substantial out-of-court settlement, running to hundreds of thousands of pounds, with Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, over the hacking of Mr Taylor's phone.

That settlement - which was agreed by Mr Murdoch and signed by News International's chief operating officer at the time, Clive Milner - contained a gagging clause, making it impossible for either party to talk about the settlement or what led to it (though many of its details were subsequently revealed by the Guardian).

Mr Murdoch has now conceded that it was wrong of him to agree to the settlement with Mr Taylor and also to other out-of-court settlements made at a similar time.

He said on Thursday: "I now know that I did not have a complete picture when I did so. This was wrong and is a matter of serious regret."

There have been allegations that Mr Murdoch, in settling with Mr Taylor, was endeavouring to put a lid on the furore to deter a wider police investigation of the News of the World's behaviour.

News International denies this.

It insists that Mr Murdoch only approved the Taylor settlement and gagging clause because he was ignorant of the alleged transgressions by other News of the World journalists.

In particular, News International says Mr Murdoch had no knowledge of the 300 e-mails that Harbottle & Lewis were asked to review.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14099102

With any luck, this will start the end of this Empire of Slim.

NAPM