Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Suarez named as a candidate for the FIFA World Player of the Year

Read 6844 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Suarez named as a candidate for the FIFA World Player of the Year
      Nov 01, 2011 11:20:54 am
      Named as one of the 23.  Good to see Alonso in there as well - and no less than 8 Barcelona players!

Eric Abidal (France), Sergio Aguero (Argentina), Karim Benzema (France), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Dani Alves (Brazil), Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Diego Forlan (Uruguay), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Muller (Germany), Nani (Portugal), Neymar (Brazil), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Gerard Pique (Spain), Wayne Rooney (England), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Holland), Luis Suarez (Uruguay), David Villa (Spain), Xabi Alonso (Spain), Xavi (Spain).

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Suarez named as a candidate for the FIFA World Player of the Year
      Reply #1: Nov 01, 2011 11:25:25 am
      No surprise there. It actually surprises me how little people are giving him a chance of winning it.  He was sensational at the copa America head and shoulders above anyone including messi and he has been sensational since he came to us. I even saw aldridge give a top 5 the other day and he was no where to be seen
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #2: Nov 01, 2011 12:12:40 pm
      Article by a former footballer pat dolan in the irish daily start yesterday saying suarez is better than messin?? I dont no myself be he made some good points saying suarez delivers for club and country and has stood at at the last two major tournaments whereas messi hasnt.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3: Nov 01, 2011 01:19:33 pm
      Article by a former footballer pat dolan in the irish daily start yesterday saying suarez is better than messin?? I dont no myself be he made some good points saying suarez delivers for club and country and has stood at at the last two major tournaments whereas messi hasnt.
      Not a hope. I love Suarez but Messi is the best by far imo.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #4: Nov 01, 2011 01:22:43 pm

he must love a drink

edit : i love Luis but messi is probably the best player iv ever seen
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #5: Nov 01, 2011 01:23:16 pm
      And also Pat Dolan is a tw*t.

He said before that if Man United had Ronaldo last season they would have been a better side than Barcelona.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #6: Nov 01, 2011 01:23:20 pm
      I wonder Neymar also on this list. Imo Neymar still has to prove a bit more. I know that he's a bright prospect so far but maybe just my feeling that great player should prove himself in Europe or he must has a brilliant performance at WC or continental competition.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Nov 01, 2011 01:26:16 pm
      I wonder Neymar also on this list. Imo Neymar still has to prove a bit more. I know that he's a bright prospect so far but maybe just my feeling that great player should prove himself in Europe or he must has a brilliant performance at WC or continental competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocentrism

It would be a f***in joke if Neymar wasn't on that list
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #8: Nov 01, 2011 01:30:08 pm
      And also Pat Dolan is a tw*t.

He said before that if Man United had Ronaldo last season they would have been a better side than Barcelona.

thats it then he obviously does like a drink .... too often
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #9: Nov 01, 2011 01:32:24 pm
      I just wrote out my top 10 of players and top 5 in managers in the General Football forum only to click post and find it was locked. Not doing it again but basically Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo and Suarez as top 5 players and Guardiola as top manager.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Nov 01, 2011 01:53:05 pm
      Named as one of the 23.  Good to see Alonso in there as well - and no less than 8 Barcelona players!

Eric Abidal (France), Sergio Aguero (Argentina), Karim Benzema (France), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Dani Alves (Brazil), Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Diego Forlan (Uruguay), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Muller (Germany), Nani (Portugal), Neymar (Brazil), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Gerard Pique (Spain), Wayne Rooney (England), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Holland), Luis Suarez (Uruguay), David Villa (Spain), Xabi Alonso (Spain), Xavi (Spain).

So they choose one from the list to be the winner?

Suarez should be there, good for him. He might not win it but he definitely should be in the list.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #11: Nov 01, 2011 01:56:17 pm
      Not sure I'm understand what you want to say Diego but I think you say I'm enchanted (or love so much) of European civilization or something like this. If so that's wrong mate. I'm from Thailand in South-East Asia, we Thais most hated is the European colonization although Thailand never occupied by any European force. But that's far too long ago and I joint this forum just for Liverpool Football Club matter.
      Neymar in the list or not I'm not something you called "Eurocentrism" , my bad of English language is very well prove for this mate :D.

I don't know but I want to know when Ronalinho, Ronaldo, Maradona, Romario, R. Carlos, Rivaldo, Kaka, Messi etc named as a candidate for the FIFA World Player of the Year where they playing football ? In their homeland country or in Europe ?
      Anybody tell me where can I find this info, please.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Nov 01, 2011 02:00:19 pm
      Told you he'll be shortlisted ;)

Personally feel Messi will win it for the third time in a row.

Not sure I'm understand what you want to say Diego but I think you say I'm enchanted (or love so much) of European civilization or something like this. If so that's wrong mate. I'm from Thailand in South-East Asia, we Thais most hated is the European colonization although Thailand never occupied by any European force. But that's far too long ago and I joint this forum just for Liverpool Football Club matter.
      Neymar in the list or not I'm not something you called "Eurocentrism" , my bad of English language is very well prove for this mate :D.

I don't know but I want to know when Ronalinho, Ronaldo, Maradona, Romario, R. Carlos, Rivaldo, Kaka, Messi etc named as a candidate for the FIFA World Player of the Year where they playing football ? In their homeland country or in Europe ?

I assume most would have been in Europe (Kaka at AC Milan, Messi at Barcelona, etc).
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #13: Nov 01, 2011 02:04:31 pm
      Fantastic achievement to merely be on the shortlist.

Think Messi will run away with it though
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #14: Nov 01, 2011 02:11:14 pm
      I must be the only person questioning why Eric Abidal is on the list.  :-\
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #15: Nov 01, 2011 02:23:42 pm
      I too Semple mate :/
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #16: Nov 01, 2011 02:27:38 pm

First thing I thought when I seen it mate!

Good to see Luis on it and deservedly so.

Isn't this done on the basis of performances annually and not over a season? If so, you take Luis's performances since January and the amount of MoM awards he has won and then his Copa America performances on the way to winning it then he has got to be at least Top 5.

Anyhow I think it will be a Messi, Xavi, Iniesta 1-2-3
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Nov 01, 2011 02:58:45 pm
      Abidal and also Benzema? WTF? The lad had a couple months of decent football but hardly enough to suggest he was better than David Silva, Samir Nasri, Zlata Ibrahimovic, Victor Valdes etc.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Nov 01, 2011 03:20:41 pm

I didn't even know where you come from mate, but obviously I was talking about Eurocentrism in football.

And what's your point? Obviously they were in Europe, but one mistake does not justify another. To mention recent examples, have you heard of Edmundo in 1997 or Alex in 2003? Of course not, it's just the way things are - Europe is seen as the center of the universe when it comes to football, even though most talents come from South America.

Then when Boca beats Milan, São Paulo beats Liverpool, Internacional beats Barcelona, it was just a lucky game, and those South Americans play in their Mickey Mouse competitions. In many aspects, I'm a big critic of Brazilian/South American competitions and the way they and the clubs are organized, but it doesn't mean it should be simply discarded all the football that is played here.

If Neymar isn't among the best players in the world, but Erick f***in Abidal is, then I just don't know anything about football at all.

Also, if a poll was made to ask Brazilians who they think more deserving to be in that list... Daniel Alves or Neymar? I'm sure 99,99% will answer Neymar
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #19: Nov 01, 2011 03:33:13 pm
      Great to see Suarez there, not sure about world football as I don't watch it regularly but since he's arrived in England he's been up there in the top three attackers of the league at least.

Some wierd choices in the rest of the list too.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #20: Nov 01, 2011 03:41:09 pm
      Think Abidal deserves to be on there but having Benzema on there is a joke. Far too inconsistent and lazy to be anywhere near that list
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #21: Nov 01, 2011 03:50:44 pm
      WTF is Benzema doing there?
      Bier
      Reply #22: Nov 01, 2011 03:54:34 pm
      Doesnt really matter who are on the list, as long as the few players who deserve to win actually are on there, the rest doesn't matter. I'm sure Abidal is only there because of what he's been through last year, and because of his amazing recovery.

Quick Reply