Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Great Ticket Scandal - Help to stop touting!

Read 9181 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      The Great Ticket Scandal - Help to stop touting!
      Feb 24, 2012 11:47:25 am
      Any of you who have the slightest interest in attending music events need to read this post and take action.

I, like many have tried to buy tickets for big music events only to find that they have sold out almost instantly. I have then checked 'fan-fan' ticket sales sites and seen that they have countless tickets for the event already on sale for double or triple face value. These sites (eg Viagogo / Seatwave) claim to be a platform for fans who buy tickets and then can't attend the events so need to move the tickets on, so how can they have these tickets so soon?

The answer is that the event organisers, such as LiveNation and SJM are actually sending ticket allocations to these sites to sell on. In many cases, these allocations are in the best sections possible where genuine fans would love to sit/stand. Viagogo and Seatwave then take 10-15% of the sale price plus their own fees and the rest goes back to LiveNation abd SJM as a tidy bit of profit! Not only that but Viagogo and Seatwave also have stacks of credit cards registered to different addresses that they use to buy tickets as soon as they go on sale purely to sell on at huge profit!
       :mad:

I know about this because last night (Thurs), Channel 4 ran a Dispatches special on it called 'The Great Ticket Scandal'
      You can watch the full episode (or just enough to boil your blood) here :
      http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-108/episode-1

So if this has infurated you as much as me then here's how you can take action. Surely any music fan will want to have their say on this.

Sign the petition set up by Coldplay fans after they had similar experiences when their 02 Arena date sold out instantly and then appeared on those sites :
      http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/8419

Sharon Hodgson MP has already tried to get a bill passed where tickets could only be sold at a maximum of 10% above face value, taking away the profit margin for these glorified touts. Typically, she was 'talked out' by opposition Conservative MPs so never got heard!
      Visit her page here to keep up with latest events, to offer support and to pick up a template letter to send to your own MP:
      [ur]http://www.sharonhodgson.org/ticket-touting-private-members-bill[/url]

More links and information including the companies to send abuse to here:
      http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/articles/the-great-ticket-scandal-related-links

Towards the end of the Dispateches episode where they send people undercover at these companies, a Viagogo manager is questioned about the proposed law to cap selling prices and in front of his entire staff, the smug b***ard says that this is threatened in every country they operate in and nothing will ever get done.
      Let's push this so that 'Rip Off Britain is the first one to screw these wankers over and get a fair deal for genuine fans!

* The investigation has found no evidence that artists are aware of these practices *
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Re: The Great Ticket Scandal - Help to stop touting!
      Reply #1: Feb 25, 2012 11:05:28 pm
      Nice one Rep!

This kind of sh*t has being going on for too long now and time and time again, we keep hearing that something will be done about it but, still it continues.

I hate to see music and its supporters getting ripped off like this.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: May 10, 2012 08:44:34 pm
      I saw this program and was disgusted by this practice.

e-petition? Why is this needed, the government could stop this in an instant, but no.

Thankfully I use Ticketmaster.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #3: May 10, 2012 08:49:06 pm
      Exactly, the answer is so simple as well:

Sharon Hodgson MP has already tried to get a bill passed where tickets could only be sold at a maximum of 10% above face value, taking away the profit margin for these glorified touts.

Would that really be so hard to implement? Would anybody lose out other than those wishing to cash in by stitching others up? No.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #4: Mar 01, 2013 08:23:38 pm
      Well, I have my Bruno Mars Tickets, :) Now should I sell them for over 1000% profit as some abhorrent individuals are doing. >:(

Totally unbelievable this is STILL allowed to go on.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #5: Jul 03, 2013 12:00:16 am
      Glad u posted this.
      Saw an article today about it.
      It's gotten ridiculous.
      Accept the holding of some tix for some PR reasons but its gotten crazy how more often than not I cannot get tickets the normal way at regular prices and have to spend well over the odds through other means.
      I had to spend over $1000 for 2 tix to see Radiohead at the Hollywood bowl a few years back.
      This current situation has to change.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #6: Jul 10, 2013 09:22:10 pm
      Same in the US.  Ticketmaster is the default ticketing company and they are run like the mafia.  I once stood in line for Rolling Stones tix.... I was the 4th person in line, I got 4 tix 3 minutes after they went on sale and I ended up getting upper tier, behind the stage, obstructed view seats. They had no seats for sale on the floor, or on any of the first 3 levels, stage view.  they all went to brokers and corporate people.

Which is why I love how some bands like Pearl Jam dont use ticketmaster and offer tix through their websites and fan clubs.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #7: Jul 10, 2013 09:38:52 pm
      Which is why I love how some bands like Pearl Jam dont use ticketmaster and offer tix through their websites and fan clubs.

They use Ticketmaster over here. I was lucky enough to get tickets by being online the second they went on sale and they sold out within minutes. On the night, though there were a lot of great seats empty, no doubt ones they'd set aside from real fans and never managed to shift because PJ announced a second night at the same venue, screwing over anybody trying to sell tickets for a fortune!
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2013 10:23:54 pm by Reprobate »
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #8: Jul 11, 2013 01:23:16 am
      Ridiculous isn't it.

We real fans get completely ripped off every time having to go to extraordinary lengths to get tickets.

I reckon most bands don't care as they and their labels just want the appearance of being a Sold Out show and to garner the cash regardless.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #9: Oct 23, 2013 06:53:04 pm
      I've got two tickets to see 'Bring Me The Horizon' play the O2 Academy in Birmingham but, unfortunately I cant make it now.

I thought I'd pop the tickets on ebay at face value because its a sold out gig so some genuine fans might have missed out, I wasnt even looking to make a profit, just get my money back. I wrote out the listing, went to post it and got a message saying you can no longer sell event tickets on ebay, you now have to use StubHub.

StubHub are nothing more than legalised scalpers! Regardless of the price I advertise them at, these cu*ts will add their own charges and the fans buying them will get ripped off. Not happy with ebay at all, this is a disgusting deal they've struck and once again, its fans who will suffer.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #10: May 26, 2018 03:14:17 pm
      Ed Sheeran 'not trying to stitch fans up' over UK tour tickets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44265104

Ed Sheeran says his "strong" approach on secondary tickets for his gigs will benefit fans in the long run.

People who turned up to the first dates of his UK tour in Manchester with resold tickets were told they were invalid and had to buy new ones.

"The only people it is going to harm in the end is the touts," Ed told Newsbeat at the Biggest Weekend in Swansea.

"I hate the idea of people paying more than face value for tickets when you can get them at face value."

Fair play.

Quick Reply