Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032193 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #17457: Sep 20, 2014 09:29:08 pm
      His big problem is he puts Gerrard down first and works the team and his tactics around him. This was West Ham today thank God it wasn't Chelsea it would have been humiliating

This.

I do get the impression that Gerrard will never, ever be dropped, regardless of performance. I'm not calling for Stevie to be dropped here, but he shouldn't be one of our, to coin a Mourinho phrase; 'untouchables'. Last week Brendan said Sterling needed a rest, well Stevie is at the other end of his career and will also need resting at times.

I think Stevie will look better again once he has a midfield around him with the energy to track across the pitch and do the defensive work and press the opposition, i.e. when Can returns. Playing him alongside Lucas is tactical suicide and we've seen it time and again, yet Brendan persists with it.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #17458: Sep 20, 2014 09:33:36 pm
      What's the difference between a very good manager and a great manager?

The great manager gets the big decisions right - no matter how controversial they are. Yes, it's going to piss people off but Ferguson and Mourinho are in the category of "great" managers. Look how they have handled their stars - the Ronaldos, the Beckhams, the Matas and Lampards.

As well as the team learning, let's not forget Brendan is learning as a manager at this level. I really hop ewe look back on this period as a time when he got the big decisions right. 
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #17459: Sep 20, 2014 10:13:39 pm
      Still early days, but looking at us today, BR has a lot of work to do. No Luis to dig us out of holes any more. Studge being injured is BIG loss, but we knew he was injury prone. Set pieces have gone to pot. Loosing convincingly to fatsam irks bad.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17460: Sep 20, 2014 10:14:12 pm
      I wouldn't be looking to put out a weakened side in the cup I want to put out a side that can put right was is wrong with us so far this season.Another defeat even with a weakened side is not what is needed.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17461: Sep 20, 2014 10:16:22 pm
      If we had a Poll and the question was  "who had a bigger influence on the season last year Luis or Brendan"  who would you vote for.
      I think we are seeing just how F***ing amazing Luis is  and was last season.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #17462: Sep 20, 2014 10:21:38 pm
      Still early days, but looking at us today, BR has a lot of work to do. No Luis to dig us out of holes any more. Studge being injured is BIG loss, but we knew he was injury prone. Set pieces have gone to pot. Loosing convincingly to fatsam irks bad.

Luis' the elephant in the room at the moment but it should stay like that for a couple of more months, Personally I'd leave it to the pundits (jamie redknapp) to point the finger towards the loss of Luis and give Brendan the time he deserves to get the new lads bedded in.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #17463: Sep 20, 2014 10:22:36 pm
      If we had a Poll and the question was  "who had a bigger influence on the season last year Luis or Brendan"  who would you vote for.
      I think we are seeing just how f**king amazing Luis is  and was last season.

Jesus

:D

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #17464: Sep 20, 2014 10:26:38 pm
      Rogers eventually just allowed Luis to play in his own style.. roaming around and doing what the F**k he wanted so long as he put the ball in the back of the net and he did.. week in week out.. thats why our free flowing football was so successful last season.
      Balotelli on the other hand needs to be told what and where to go and do and instead of getting in the box and challenging crosses from both sides he's slowly wondering around deep in midfield with his back to goal being man marked and that has changed the way we set up against teams this season.. in other words Predictable ..
      Rogers and his back room coaching staff need to get their thinking caps on.. like now !!
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2014 11:19:46 pm by 6stringer »
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #17465: Sep 20, 2014 11:18:07 pm

It's not that simple.

Luis was an absolutely incredible talent but the manager needed time to work out how best to use that talent. Remember there was a huge difference between the first and second seasons. Arguably the task now is even more difficult - how to replace the influence of a Suarez in the team but we won't know whether he has done that until he has the same timeframe given to him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #17466: Sep 21, 2014 12:07:12 am
      It's not that simple.

Luis was an absolutely incredible talent but the manager needed time to work out how best to use that talent.

A very fair point.

Luis is an almost one off player who I still think is under rated by many inside and outside the game. I know it sounds silly but he is a phenomenon and only maybe our fans realise how good he actually is.

I'm not going to rip into Brendan tonight as I still think he is trying to work out how we play without Luis and fit his new players into the side but I do have a fear that he is still trying to keep everyone happy instead of just picking what he thinks is his best side.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #17467: Sep 21, 2014 01:23:56 am
      Outfoxed  and schooled by Fat Sam with not a payer who you would consider good enough for our team.

Come on Brendan you need to do do better.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #17468: Sep 21, 2014 01:26:21 am
      No one is perfect and this certainly applies to the man in charge of the club. What I feel he has done is over emphasise on improving the depth of the squad. What has happened is we had a relatively small, yet very powerful squad here at Liverpool. For our 10 game winning streak, our first XI barely changed: Mignolet, Flanagan, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge, Suarez. Out of these XI, how many featured against West Ham? Five did.

What is key in this game is continuity. This is something we are currently lacking as Rodgers, as I mentioned above, has over emphasised on squad depth. He feels he now needs to rotate given we are in the Champions League. This, IMO, is a factor in our current downfall. What Rodgers should have done (IMO, of course) is accept that he cannot challenge for two pieces of major silverware. Given our squad last season, that was never going to happen. It's all about developing and building the squad in a controlled manner, and this summer I feel we haven't done that. I feel that we brought in too many new faces, and too many of them lacking key experience. We should have been prepared to sacrifice the CL this season, so that we could consolidate top four and continue to improve the strength of the squad.

This is now a transition phase we have entered. I do not agree that we had to enter such a phase, but inadvertently that is what BR's or FSG's vision of the club has resulted in. Hopefully next summer we purchase THREE top class players and no more. We buy a goal keeper, a central midfielder, and a forward.

So given we've entered this transition phase, I think it's fair to say neither the CL or PL will be up for grabs this season. If we had been more patient, bought better quality and held onto Luis Suarez, I'd be confident of us giving it a good go and consolidating top four for the next season. I truly hope BR can turn this around.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #17469: Sep 21, 2014 01:35:09 am
      l got feeling lf we dont make top 4 these year, and win nothing he gone
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17470: Sep 21, 2014 01:40:17 am

Big statement to be making this early on in the season.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #17471: Sep 21, 2014 01:43:16 am
      Nah Rodgers won't get the sack no matter what happens (thankfully) but I do think top 4 is the target now.

As negative as it seems, that has to be the target now.

Rodgers is really struggling IMO to play without the Sturridge and Suarez partnership in the team. Played so poorly and one of those got us the win through some magic.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #17472: Sep 21, 2014 01:43:21 am
      Big statement to be making this early on in the season.

Indeed.

Not a chance Brendan will be sacked come the end of this season.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #17473: Sep 21, 2014 01:45:56 am

I don't think so personally. He is a young manager who is still currently learning. By that, I think he is expected to make some major F**k ups like he did against West Ham. We can only hope that he'll learn from his mistakes in the same way he did last season.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17474: Sep 21, 2014 02:54:14 am
      I think a top 6 or 7 position will be enough to keep Brendan in a job (and I don't expect us to fall lower than that! ) this season.

I do believe he has a problem with his strikers. Lambert and Balotelli don't really look to me as an ideal partnership and while I think Sturridge can play with either of them, if he is out for a while I think we will struggle.

The one bright spot for Brendan has been Sterling, he has been far and away our best player so far this season and if he keeps up his present form I think a cup is possible.

I would take a cup and top four now if it was offered. (hopefully the CL :) )
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #17475: Sep 21, 2014 03:43:49 am

It's not that simple.

Um, yes, it is.

BR is incompetent, even a child can realize it. He just doesn't know what he's doing. We have some good players, but as a team we are a disaster area. Thoroughly battered by City, outsmarted and outplayed by Aston Villa, and now by Fat Sam, where are we going? BR's management is random, and now that he doesn't have Luis SuƔrez to work magic and win the matches for him we are being hit by the truth: randomness doesn't build a team. Our playing style hasn't changed, we still have most players from last season, why the ghastly difference? Because Luis isn't here anymore, that's why. BR is now on his own. And he's a lousy manager.

I said it long ago: we should have supported King Kenny. Sacking him was a big mistake.

And to think some posters are writing that BR is "young" and will need some years to "learn his job". Well, isn't that wonderful? That's Liverpool for you, that's what we have become: an educational toy for bampot managers. How have the mighty fallen.  :(
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #17476: Sep 21, 2014 04:25:25 am
      It's not that simple.

Um, yes, it is.

BR is incompetent, even a child can realize it. He just doesn't know what he's doing. We have some good players, but as a team we are a disaster area. Thoroughly battered by City, outsmarted and outplayed by Aston Villa, and now by Fat Sam, where are we going? BR's management is random, and now that he doesn't have Luis SuƔrez to work magic and win the matches for him we are being hit by the truth: randomness doesn't build a team. Our playing style hasn't changed, we still have most players from last season, why the ghastly difference? Because Luis isn't here anymore, that's why. BR is now on his own. And he's a lousy manager.

I said it long ago: we should have supported King Kenny. Sacking him was a big mistake.

And to think some posters are writing that BR is "young" and will need some years to "learn his job". Well, isn't that wonderful? That's Liverpool for you, that's what we have become: an educational toy for bampot managers. How have the mighty fallen.  :(

This is bull sh*t. You say BR can't win without Luis yet he has done it on two separate occasions since taking over here. The loss of Danny Studge has been the biggest issue. He provides the pace to keep the backline deep and open up play for the midfield. BR has shown that he can adapt and has frankly been more clever than most managers he has faced. This idea that he is incompetent is ridiculous. The man took Swansea to top 10. He took us to the Champions League, playing many games without Suarez. Luis is a star no doubt but his absence is not the biggest issue right now at all.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #17477: Sep 21, 2014 06:17:13 am
      This is bull sh*t. You say BR can't win without Luis yet he has done it on two separate occasions since taking over here. The loss of Danny Studge has been the biggest issue. He provides the pace to keep the backline deep and open up play for the midfield. BR has shown that he can adapt and has frankly been more clever than most managers he has faced. This idea that he is incompetent is ridiculous. The man took Swansea to top 10. He took us to the Champions League, playing many games without Suarez. Luis is a star no doubt but his absence is not the biggest issue right now at all.

Bullshit indeed.
      Sterling a lone striker with Balotelli still cutting his teeth in a team for the most part unfamiliar with each others style and nuances.
      Forget any mention of Suarez, in Sturridge we have a player who has taken it upon himself to fill the chasm created, that too is an ongoing process - a process interrupted unfortunately.
      A defensive catastrophe by Skrtel was not needed from an experienced stopper who should have inspired confidence, just one example of established players falling short of expectation, what chance the new lads?
      To place the root cause for the debacle squarely on the manager's shoulders is worse than bullshit.   
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #17478: Sep 21, 2014 06:24:20 am
      Wow! A couple of bad days at the office and a not so exceptional start to the season and we have turned against the Boss.

This is the time when the boss needs our support, not when we are winning.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #17479: Sep 21, 2014 06:59:04 am
      It's not that simple.

Um, yes, it is.

Well done!  That has to be the biggest, most childish knee jerk reaction to a defeat I've read on this forum!

Quick Reply