Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3046590 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #20815: Nov 24, 2014 10:08:05 pm

Roy should still be here!

Is this a competition?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #20816: Nov 24, 2014 10:08:48 pm
      And look what happens at those clubs... they lose their best players every year.

and still perform well, but we unlike dortmund or atletico have a shorter list of potential buyers of our top players ==> madrid, psg and barcelona and i don't think that if we would win the title or the ucl our best players will leave our club
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20817: Nov 24, 2014 10:09:20 pm
      Here's my question Swab...so we pretty much know that Rodgers was keen on Sanchez as a Suarez replacement.

So did it really come down to Sanchez preferring London, or was it that Sanchez preferred London with the deal we were willing to sanction?

In other words, here's how I see it going down:

Say both us and Arsenal met the transfer fee amount, so then it comes down to wages and/or other tertiary factors (city, lifestyle, etc....)

So was it a case of the wages offered being close and Sanchez preferring London OR did we not offer as high of a wage packet as Arsenal did?

If it was the former, then why wasn't Rodgers allowed to go in with a "knock your socks off" wage offer to try and lure him to Liverpool? If it was the latter, then the same question really applies.

Now I've assumed some things to simplify my scenario, but I'm really starting to come around to the idea that Rodgers is working handcuffed with regards to who he is allowed to sign. I just can't reconcile that he went from Sanchez to Balotelli because it was the logical progression.

I'm starting to worry that the supposed interest in players like Falcao, Costa, Sanchez, etc.... is really only paying lip service to the idea that we could/would sign an established star.

Agreed FL ... even though it's not easy to prove conclusively (or disprove btw :) )
      Reasons ...
      - SG practically said as much when he said that they'd like to sign a Costa or Cesc (paraphrasing here) and don't think SG contradicts BR in public.
      - It's way too much of a coincidence that we didn't sign anyone for over 25mill in the last year, even though we were in for a good few. Imo we weren't just paying lip service, just think it when the stakes got high, we folded.
      - We sold Luis, had money to spend - BR bases his football on attack - needs top quality in the final 3rd for his style to produce results. I find it almost impossible to believe BR would not have wanted to sign much better options up front.

We are in trouble now, and I definitely don't think BR has got everything right (defense particularly) - but there's a few reasons why I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, last years 2nd is one, but the above is another.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20818: Nov 24, 2014 10:13:04 pm
      and still perform well, but we unlike dortmund or atletico have a shorter list of potential buyers of our top players ==> madrid, psg and barcelona and i don't think that if we would win the title or the ucl our best players will leave our club

The difference is mate that in Germany and Spain there are very few clubs that can pay the big wages and big transfer fees, while in Britain due to the rich owners, TV money and extortionate ticket prices more teams can compete for players and demand more for the players they do have.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #20819: Nov 24, 2014 10:14:08 pm
      Did I say that?
      Maybe it's just coincidence that our defence has gone to pot since we started playing the deep lying playmaker role?

Thats why I put a ? Mark  well surely BR should see this and change it then , im just saying it cant be all Stevies fault personally I think BR has wasted him as I still think he, d be more effective further up the field .
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #20820: Nov 24, 2014 10:14:33 pm
      Roy should still be here!

Is this a competition?

I'm dissapointed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20821: Nov 24, 2014 10:16:01 pm
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #20822: Nov 24, 2014 10:17:47 pm

You haven't seen that movie yet.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20823: Nov 24, 2014 10:19:40 pm
      You haven't seen that movie yet.

Wrong thread mate. You should have asked if Brendan or I had seen the movie yet.... be subtle.

I will watch it tonight with or without Brendan
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #20824: Nov 24, 2014 10:22:13 pm
      only a mastermind like rodgers would think gerrard would perform in a holding midfielder role, he should be played in an advanced position or if he doesnt have a place because of joe allen and lallana then he should be rotated, not starting every match
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20825: Nov 24, 2014 10:23:54 pm
      Both should never have been given the job.

You're a fool or on a Wind Up.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #20826: Nov 24, 2014 10:24:34 pm
      Eh? Stevie was playing in the same position last season - that's the point.
      Would that happen to be the very same position that he made the most assists in the league from then come on fella ffs he didnt single handedly cause uz to ship 50 odd goals and you damn well know it , pick him up on his faults by all means  but to blame him for it all is fckin ludicrous.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20827: Nov 24, 2014 10:25:24 pm
      only a mastermind like rodgers would think gerrard would perform in a holding midfielder role, he should be played in an advanced position or if he doesnt have a place because of joe allen and lallana then he should be rotated, not starting every match

Where you saying that last season when we were top of the league and looked like we would win the title for the first time in years mate?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #20828: Nov 24, 2014 10:27:00 pm
      Wrong thread mate. You should have asked if Brendan or I had seen the movie yet.... be subtle.

I will watch it tonight with or without Brendan

Bit numb with this football malarkey.

Comfortably Numb - pink floyd

uncomfortably
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #20829: Nov 24, 2014 10:28:46 pm
      Where you saying that last season when we were top of the league and looked like we would win the title for the first time in years mate?

i actually said it, i was worried how easy we conceded goals to teams like norwich, fulham (teams that relegated) and said that gerrard left the defence exposed to frontal attacks ... this coupled with glen almost always out of position was a recipe for disaster, only the fantastic form of suarez, sterling and sturridge kept us challenging for the title and made us such an enjoyable team to watch, reminded to alot of people how football was played in the 60's, with almost no regard of the defence
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20830: Nov 24, 2014 10:34:04 pm
      i actually said it, i was worried how easy we conceded goals to teams like norwich, fulham (teams that relegated) and said that gerrard left the defence exposed to frontal attacks ... this coupled with glen almost always out of position was a recipe for disaster, only the fantastic form of suarez, sterling and sturridge kept us challenging for the title and made us such an enjoyable team to watch, reminded to alot of people how football was played in the 60's, with almost no regard of the defence

1966 team let in 34 goals in 42 games not a bad defensive record
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #20831: Nov 24, 2014 10:37:42 pm
      it was a generic saying ... and what most pundits, football experts thought
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #20832: Nov 24, 2014 10:38:23 pm

What position was he playing last year when he was nominated for PFA player of the year?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20833: Nov 24, 2014 10:40:01 pm

Yet we only earned 39 Points in 20 games (1.95 points a game) before Gerrard moved position but earned 45 points in 18 games (2.5 points a game) after he moved position.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20834: Nov 24, 2014 10:41:40 pm
      it was a generic saying ... and what most pundits, football experts thought

you could actually defend in those days tackling was allowed and simulation was something the modern man did with his missus instead of foreplay
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #20835: Nov 24, 2014 10:42:23 pm
      Yet we only earned 39 Points in 20 games before Gerrard moved position but earned 45 points in 18 games after he moved position.

read again my post mate, i said what was the reason we still challenged for the title ... i didnt mock gerrard from an attacking point of view and his contribution upfront, i was raising questions over his defensive workrate which is required by his position in our tactical system ...
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #20836: Nov 24, 2014 10:42:39 pm
      Would that happen to be the very same position that he made the most assists in the league from then come on fella ffs he didnt single handedly cause uz to ship 50 odd goals and you damn well know it , pick him up on his faults by all means  but to blame him for it all is fckin ludicrous.

When did anyone say he was "single handedly" responsible for "shipping 50 goals"?

The fact is we have conceded many more goals per game since he has been playing in that position. That's acceptable when he was providing assists and using his passing range for Sturridge and Suarex to score but while they're not here the cost of those conceded goals is too high.

What is the basis of your indignation? Did you not see how easily people were running past him in the last match?

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20837: Nov 24, 2014 10:45:08 pm
      read again my post mate, i said what was the reason we still challenged for the title ... i didnt mock gerrard from an attacking point of view and his contribution upfront, i was raising questions over his defensive workrate which is required by his position in our tactical system ...

But despite his so called defensive limitations we won more points with him in that position than we did with a more defensive minded player in that position (Lucas).

In fact if you extrapolate those points we would have finished 5th with 74 points if he hadn't moved position, or won the league with 95 points if he had played there from the start of the season.....just to give some indication of how successfully he played there.
      « Last Edit: Nov 24, 2014 11:14:35 pm by s@int »

Quick Reply