Trending Topics

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3039697 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #22908: Dec 22, 2014 02:15:37 pm
      It'll be difficult.
      The lowest points tally for 4th place since England gained four Champions League places is 67 points (Arsenal, I forget the year). That means we have 45 points to make up out of sixteen games which works out at 2.8 points per game.
      In other words, we need to win all but one remaining game.
      That being said, I can very much see this year's 4th place finish setting a new record for low points tally so it is entirely within the realms of possibility. But we do need one hell of a run.

Its OK   5.

He's talked himself into another 5 months salary.

Divine Intervention is at hand ...........
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #22909: Dec 22, 2014 02:21:34 pm
      What was all this bollocks about yesterday being better than when we beat them 5-1?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #22910: Dec 22, 2014 02:28:18 pm
      It'll be difficult. The lowest points tally for 4th place since England gained four Champions League places is 67 points (Arsenal, I forget the year). That means we have 45 points to make up out of sixteen games which works out at 2.8 points per game. In other words, we need to win all but one remaining game. That being said, I can very much see this year's 4th place finish setting a new record for low points tally so it is entirely within the realms of possibility. But we do need one hell of a run.

It will be tricky but we are still within touching distance of United, Arsenal and Spurs who are our rivals for third/fourth slots.

None of those teams look significantly better than us so far - though they might well kick on now that things have settled down a bit.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #22911: Dec 22, 2014 02:34:38 pm
      The midfield looked far more comfortable yesterday with this

Gerrard          Lucas

Coutinho         Lallana

That's an old German formation, called the midfield square
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22912: Dec 22, 2014 02:56:54 pm
      What was all this bollocks about yesterday being better than when we beat them 5-1?

I think you've answered your own question.

Think we look better as a 4-2-2-2.
      We always do.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #22913: Dec 22, 2014 04:28:01 pm
      He's not going to say anything else really, I think he believes it, I hope he is telling the lads every day they can still do it

4th isn't away from us.. Yet, but we need to string a load of results together to do it

We have players to do that though.

Could be an exciting second half to the season.

Agree Jon.

Also if he said the opposite and thought we would finish mid table he'd get slaughtered on here.

I admire his optimistic outlook.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #22914: Dec 22, 2014 04:29:24 pm
      Its OK   5.

He's talked himself into another 5 months salary.

Divine Intervention is at hand ...........

You seem very irratated that Brendan actually gets paid for his job Skip.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22915: Dec 22, 2014 05:37:44 pm
      I honestly cannot see why people are quite so downbeat about us reaching the top four, I really can't. All this "well historically you've needed 67 points (or whatever the f*ck the number is)" is not the be all and end all IMHO. What you need to do to get into the top four is to get more points than at least 17 teams. Whether you need to get 56 in order to do that or 66 makes no difference to the prize (such as it is) at the end of the season.

It's looking likely that we'll have to finish above Spurs and Arsenal in order to get there (as the Mancs will probably just about edge in), and we're currently five points behind both. That's FIVE points, not 25, five. If you take the view (as I do) that West Ham, Southampton and the like cannot and will not get in there, it is going to be between us, Spurs and Arsenal. Can we pull back five points in 21 games? Of course we f****** can.

Just for reference, here are the next six games of each club.

Liverpool:                                              Arsenal:                                      Spurs:

Burnley (A)                                            QPR (H)                                      Leicester (A) 
      Swansea (H)                                          West Ham (A)                              Man U (H)
      Leicester (H)                                          Southampton (A)                         Chelsea (H) 
      Sunderland (A)                                       Stoke (H)                                    Palace (A)
      Villa (A)                                                 Man City (A)                                Sunderland (H)
      West Ham (H)                                        Villa (H)                                      WBA (A)

I'm not being funny we could catch those two teams in the next six games, never mind the next 21.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22916: Dec 22, 2014 06:05:36 pm
      You seem very irratated that Brendan actually gets paid for his job Skip.

Everyone is entitled to the market rate if what they do is good.
      I'm not irritated at all.
      Whoever the manager is .... if they are doing what is expected of them and performing at an elite level of management they deserve it.

Anyway.
      Forget Simeone , Klopp et al.
      Just offered the job to Racer for his tactical awareness ....  well before BR or LVG.  :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22917: Dec 22, 2014 06:16:28 pm
      Everyone is entitled to the market rate if what they do is good.
      I'm not irritated at all.
      Whoever the manager is .... if they are doing what is expected of them and performing at an elite level of management they deserve it.

Anyway.
      Forget Simeone , Klopp et al.
      Just offered the job to Racer for his tactical awareness ....  well before BR or LVG.  :D

He is good.

If he is on 100k post-Swansea, he's doubled his worth in his time here. So lets get him a pay rise.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,280 posts | 1513 
      Reply #22918: Dec 22, 2014 06:42:50 pm
      I've criticised Brendan ehen I've thought he has fu**ed up, I've also asked questions about some of his tactics and subs.
      That's all football related, but who the F**k would criticise what he does out side of football ?
      Surely within reason that's of no consequence to anybody else is it.
      Can't say I've heard of much, but who gives a toss anyway !
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #22919: Dec 22, 2014 08:45:03 pm
      As much as i dislike the way Rodgers has gone about his business i believe that he needs the time to turn it around . Would Sanchez have made a difference for us had Rodgers got him ? The problems are deeper than that . Rodgers biggest mistake was not buying a top class defender and another striker in last January transfer , instead he chased shadows of a Ukrainian and ended up with nowt .
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22920: Dec 22, 2014 09:20:18 pm
      Watching chelsea play here and we are so much better than them playing like we did against Arsenal. That said I dont think we could beat Chelea, we still lack leadership, grit and nerve.

Promising though under BR. Im back in his corner. Play great footie and lose is a million times better than play droll football and win in my book.... now thats based on current position, with little or nothing to play for.

Poetry in motion footie can win you games before you even step a foot on the pitch, and thats were we need to get back to. A few alterations needed still but the seed is planted.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22921: Dec 22, 2014 09:27:34 pm
      Brendan knows how to be successful with only one style, attack attack attack! I F***ing love it boss! Keep it up.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22922: Dec 22, 2014 09:31:53 pm
      The game against Arsenal, that's how Brendan wants the team to perform and I love watching it, it's f*cking relentless and the Arse were chasing shadows. I see some on here think Arsenal were "poor"? no, we made them look ordinary. I have also seen 1 or 2 say the gaffer has somehow "stumbled" onto his formation and some even say he has "copied" Van Gaal, what a load of utter sh*te, he knows exactly what he is doing and he knows exactly what he wants from the players on the pitch, getting them to show it has been an uphill struggle and he will be just as frustrated as the supporters. Consistency is now the name of the game from here, which is also difficult with a squad so young but the signs are there once again. Onwards and upwards...keep the faith!

Spot on mate. "Copy LVG".... Who in their right mind suggested that? Last season on our day... we were better than most teams in Europe, 1 of the many reason why I was so happy to be back in Europe. Yes Suarez was lethal but the style of football and movement, pace and composure on the ball was not all about Suarez.... Thats what the Gaffer instill(ed)s in his players. His style - which he spoke about since day one, hardly stumbling across it.

Finally we are starting to see signs of it again and with a few tweaks we could be great again. Players need to feck thinking about league positions, opponents, wages, transfer prices and just play the way they have been asked. Playing like we have against Arsenal builds momentum, momentum builds confidence, confidence breaths cockyness, cockyness breaths goals, goals get wins and wins get points. Once we go on a streak, teams will start to bottle it against us before we even kick off... thats how good we were last season and how good we need to be again.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #22923: Dec 22, 2014 10:36:12 pm
      I honestly cannot see why people are quite so downbeat about us reaching the top four, I really can't. All this "well historically you've needed 67 points (or whatever the f*ck the number is)" is not the be all and end all IMHO. What you need to do to get into the top four is to get more points than at least 17 teams. Whether you need to get 56 in order to do that or 66 makes no difference to the prize (such as it is) at the end of the season.

It's looking likely that we'll have to finish above Spurs and Arsenal in order to get there (as the Mancs will probably just about edge in), and we're currently five points behind both. That's FIVE points, not 25, five. If you take the view (as I do) that West Ham, Southampton and the like cannot and will not get in there, it is going to be between us, Spurs and Arsenal. Can we pull back five points in 21 games? Of course we f****** can.

Just for reference, here are the next six games of each club.

Liverpool:                                              Arsenal:                                      Spurs:

Burnley (A)                                            QPR (H)                                      Leicester (A) 
      Swansea (H)                                          West Ham (A)                              Man U (H)
      Leicester (H)                                          Southampton (A)                         Chelsea (H) 
      Sunderland (A)                                       Stoke (H)                                    Palace (A)
      Villa (A)                                                 Man City (A)                                Sunderland (H)
      West Ham (H)                                        Villa (H)                                      WBA (A)

I'm not being funny we could catch those two teams in the next six games, never mind the next 21.

I think we'll struggle against Sunderland and West Ham. But should achieve 12pts out of those 6 games. Arsenal and Spuds will drop more points than us I think. I still feel we need Sturridge to stay fit for the remainder of the season once he returns to have a chance of top 4. I thought our top 4 chances were over before Skrtel headed that equaliser against Arsenal. But I saw enough improvement in our game to suggest there is some belief returning to the team. So maybe, just maybe, if we weather this storm and get Sturridge back banging in the goals, we can do it.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #22924: Dec 22, 2014 10:44:36 pm
      Brendan knows how to be successful with only one style, attack attack attack! I f**king love it boss! Keep it up.

I hope he doesn't keep it up. P17, W6, D4, L7, GF21, GA24, GD-3, PTS22.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22925: Dec 22, 2014 10:48:48 pm
      Having lost more games than we have won at any stage of the season is bad, certainly after this many games.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22926: Dec 22, 2014 11:03:10 pm
      I hope he doesn't keep it up. P17, W6, D4, L7, GF21, GA24, GD-3, PTS22.

Win Ratio  35.5% .

Career Average   44%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Rodgers

Facht.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #22927: Dec 22, 2014 11:17:01 pm

Thanks for the Facht like it's really added something to this thread apart from making you feel better!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22928: Dec 23, 2014 12:09:40 am
      Thanks for the Facht like it's really added something to this thread apart from making you feel better!

Actually you are wrong. 
      Its depressing.
      Very depressing. Just like the level of expectation has sunk to such a low level.
      Lose to the Mancs / beat Bournemouth and score in the 97th minute to draw and we've suddenly turned the corner ?
      4th is on?
      Yeh....

I feel much better.
      « Last Edit: Dec 23, 2014 12:25:11 am by eurored »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #22929: Dec 23, 2014 12:24:23 am
      Having lost more games than we have won at any stage of the season is bad, certainly after this many games.

Facht 2
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #22930: Dec 23, 2014 12:54:17 am

It is a thread about Rodgers, isn't it? So posting his career stats doesn't add anything to it? Strange.

Quick Reply