Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032091 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #27439: Apr 25, 2015 07:52:51 pm
      Much like your Dickens reference mate, there is little difference between the man who wouldn't read and the man who couldn't but in Dortmund's case they are essentially teaching themselves to read to the point at which they can and then the difference will be very clear indeed.
      What ever 'Dortmund's' reasons/intentions... good, bad or malicious... Jürgen Klopp was working under restrictions. Yes?

Could he have done better without those restrictions: irrespective of who, how or why? Yes.

Same can be said for Liverpool and Brendan Rodgers (in my opinion).

That's where I saw the similarities Luke - I thought it was clear but it obviously wasn't.  :-\
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #27440: Apr 25, 2015 08:16:25 pm
      Brendan deserves next season to prove himself.

Looking at his 2012, 2013 and 2014 big summer transfer windows - I'm just not convinced he's got much to offer at a fourth attempt.

I've got big concerns over his tactical acumen, his constant media bullshit and I'm not sure he's carrying the team along for the ride with him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #27441: Apr 25, 2015 08:19:11 pm
      I don't post often but I feel i want to air my opinion.

You should post more often because what you said was reasoned, rational and pretty much spot on.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #27442: Apr 25, 2015 08:23:24 pm
      What ever 'Dortmund's' reasons/intentions... good, bad or malicious... Jürgen Klopp was working under restrictions. Yes?

Could he have done better without those restrictions: irrespective of who, how or why? Yes.

That's where I saw the similarities Luke - I thought it was clear but it obviously wasn't.  :-\

Klopp has taken Dortmund to where they didn't even dream, they won everything on national stage, and were very close to winning the UCL also, every team in the world has a period of decline after enjoying 3-4 great years.

Comparing Klopp with Rodgers is like comparing Xavi to Joe Allen.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #27443: Apr 25, 2015 08:33:09 pm
      If FSG are in favor of sacking the manager they need to look in the mirror and sack themselves as well. Rodgers is far from perfect but any manager would struggle under FSG's current "philosophy" in my humble opinion.

And for those advocating a manager switch, just be careful what you wish for, the grass isn't always greener.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #27444: Apr 25, 2015 08:34:08 pm
      All signings and who signed who malarkey apart, the lack of heart and fight in our side is what concerns me most.

Okay, fourth had become a long shot since we showed no heart and crumbled against United and Arsenal. What gets me though, after the disappointment of those games and Villa last week is that we have given up. The manager seems to have given up on matters on the field but at the same time is talking himself up in quite cringeworthy fashion. That was awful today. I was looking at things earlier and seeing that if we went and done our job at West Brom, with Villa on a bit of a run and City not playing so well, we could find ourselves four points behind City tonight with a game in hand.

Game on.

We didn't bother turning up. Pathetic showing that lacked any guille, fight or heart.

Yet still we have people who refuse to give even the slightest bit of criticism to the manager whilst they're trying to make out that there isn't a team in world football that could have beat West Brom today.

Instead of talking the talk he should be walking the walk first.

He'd give up before today and dumbed down expectations.

Must improve. Quickly.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #27445: Apr 25, 2015 08:35:44 pm
      All signings and who signed who malarkey apart, the lack of heart and fight in our side is what concerns me most.

Okay, fourth had become a long shot since we showed no heart and crumbled against United and Arsenal. What gets me though, after the disappointment of those games and Villa last week is that we have given up. The manager seems to have given up on matters on the field but at the same time is talking himself up in quite cringeworthy fashion. That was awful today. I was looking at things earlier and seeing that if we went and done our job at West Brom, with Villa on a bit of a run and City not playing so well, we could find ourselves four points behind City tonight with a game in hand.

Game on.

We didn't bother turning up. Pathetic showing that lacked any guille, fight or heart.

Yet still we have people who refuse to give even the slightest bit of criticism to the manager whilst they're trying to make out that there isn't a team in world football that could have beat West Brom today.

Instead of talking the talk he should be walking the walk first.

He'd give up before today and dumbed down expectations.

Must improve. Quickly.

Can I criticize Brendan AND prefer he stay?
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #27446: Apr 25, 2015 08:36:13 pm
      You should post more often because what you said was reasoned, rational and pretty much spot on.

Thanks.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #27447: Apr 25, 2015 08:45:13 pm
      I don't post often but I feel i want to air my opinion. I fully support any LFC manager whilst he is in the seat. There are a number of factors that need to be considered when judging Brendan I feel.

1. This not the same league that united ran away with for years. Many teams are very difficult to beat. Any team on their day are capable of beating anyone. Villa are not a sure bet like they were in years gone by. Look at the city result. They just barely got a result at home after spending billions.

2. Changing managers will not guarantee any chnge .Teams spend millions getting players and world class managers still can't win cups or titles.

3. I don't think " mitigating " circumstances is a valid argument when it comes to judging our manager and if he should be given another season. What happens if couthinho got injured for most of next year and Henderson takes some laughing gas. My point is every manager has to deal with mitigating circumstances in a season, rarely is a season perfect. When it is we see how close we can come based on last year.

My conclusion would be that spending money doesn't guarantee success, a manager doesn't guarantee success but with one or two world stars ( Suarez last year) and a good run of luck you can " compete" and challenge. This is what I think Brendan should be judged on. When he has the world stars and things are going well , to we compete? Me personally I think we need to stick with the manager, hope that the owners open their wallet and sign one or two stars and we challenge again next year. Then we dream again:-)

To address your points

1. Actually, the league is a lot weaker and evidence to that English teams have been useless in the Champions league, plus Man Utd and other squads aren't as good as they used to be (Remember the time they had Tevez, C.Ronaldo, Scholes, Vidic, Ferdinand, Van der Saar, Rooney & Neville playing in the same first team.... the same with Chelsea they had a firing Drogba, Lampard, Carvalho, Younger Terry, Peter Cech etc...

2. While it might not guarantee any change, changing a manager to a better and superior manager gives us a higher chance of success (Changing Houllier to Rafa, Hodgson to Kenny). A good manager knows how to deal with few resources (Klopp at Dortmund, Simone at Atletico),  also knows how to cope with losing  his best player (Ferguson losing C.Ronaldo). 

3. I totally agree with your point, spot on.

Having quality players wins you titles, and yes a bit of luck too! But 11 quality players on the field wins you titles. 20% of success comes from coaching, tactics, etc... but 80% is down to the quality at your disposal, this is why Man Utd dominated the league, they had players like C.Ronaldo, Tevez, Ferdinand, Van Der Saar, Rooney, Neville, Vidic, Scholes and Giggs in the first team, absolutely top class spine... and of course Howard Webb :laugh: . We actually had a top class spine under Rafa who fought that team, we had Reina, Hyypia, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, younger Gerrard and Aurelio (when fit), 9 players would walk into our first team right now and make us challengers, even winners. My conclusion is that if we make it right buy improving our spine with quality then we will be ok, however, I cannot trust the manager in charge with the money as his transfers so far has been poor.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #27448: Apr 25, 2015 08:53:12 pm
      Can I criticize Brendan AND prefer he stay?

Yeah. And I respect that as it's honest, unlike some. Thing is though, there are some who are just hell bent on being right. Say something against him and you want Rafa Benitez back and have always wanted Rafa Benitez back. Usually from the one poster on the forum who is more obsessed with Benitez than any body. You know who you are ;)

F***ing ridiculous though some of it. Some people should concentrate on wanting what is best for Liverpool FC rather than their egos on an internet forum.

Rodgers has done some lovely stuff but he also done some horrendous stuff but what's fresh in my mind is the lack of steel in our team over the last month or so when it has really mattered. The lack of tactical nouse is fresh as is his ability to talk far too much and say stuff that you just know is going to come back and bite him on the arse.

I'd love him to stay and get it right but there is a niggling feeling that he hit his peak last season.

I'd be lying if I said that Jürgen Klopp hasn't turned my head when I think of his obvious qualities and Rodgers' lack of trophies and European experience.

What will be will be but ultimately I want what's best for the club and if that means me saying a few things that some don't like or me getting things wrong then so be it. I'm really not as precious as some about my forum reputation.
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2015 09:18:45 pm by what-a-hit-son »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #27449: Apr 25, 2015 08:54:31 pm
      Yeah. And I respect that as it's honest, unlike some. Thing is though, there are some who are just hell bent on being right. Say something against him and you want Rafa Benitez back and have always wanted Rafa Benitez back. Usually from the one poster on the forum who is more obsessed with Benitez than any body. You know who you are ;)

F***ing ridiculous though some of it. Some people should concentrate on wanting what is best for Liverpool FC rather than their egos on an internet forum.

Rodgers has done some lovely stuff but he also done some horrendous stuff but what's fresh in my mind is the lack of steel in our team over the last month or so when it has really mattered. The lack of tactical nouse is fresh as is his ability to talk far too much and say stuff that you just know is going to come back and bite him on the arse.

I'd love him to stay and get it right but there is a niggling feeling that he hit his peek last season.

I'd be lying if I said that Jürgen Klopp hasn't turned my head when I think of his obvious qualities and Rodgers' lack of trophies and European experience.

What will be will be but ultimately I want what's best for the club and if that means me saying a few things that some don't like or me getting things wrong then so be it. I'm really not as precious as some about my forum reputation.

Fully agree mate and pretty much sums up how I feel as you probably guessed reading my posts.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #27450: Apr 25, 2015 09:00:15 pm
      Fully agree mate and pretty much sums up how I feel as you probably guessed reading my posts.

Wouldn't know,  I just skim yours ;) :D
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #27451: Apr 25, 2015 09:03:59 pm
      To address your points

1. Actually, the league is a lot weaker and evidence to that English teams have been useless in the Champions league, plus Man Utd and other squads aren't as good as they used to be (Remember the time they had Tevez, C.Ronaldo, Scholes, Vidic, Ferdinand, Van der Saar, Rooney & Neville playing in the same first team.... the same with Chelsea they had a firing Drogba, Lampard, Carvalho, Younger Terry, Peter Cech etc...

2. While it might not guarantee any change, changing a manager to a better and superior manager gives us a higher chance of success (Changing Houllier to Rafa, Hodgson to Kenny). A good manager knows how to deal with few resources (Klopp at Dortmund, Simone at Atletico),  also knows how to cope with losing  his best player (Ferguson losing C.Ronaldo). 

3. I totally agree with your point, spot on.

Having quality players wins you titles, and yes a bit of luck too! But 11 quality players on the field wins you titles. 20% of success comes from coaching, tactics, etc... but 80% is down to the quality at your disposal, this is why Man Utd dominated the league, they had players like C.Ronaldo, Tevez, Ferdinand, Van Der Saar, Rooney, Neville, Vidic, Scholes and Giggs in the first team, absolutely top class spine... and of course Howard Webb :laugh: . We actually had a top class spine under Rafa who fought that team, we had Reina, Hyypia, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, younger Gerrard and Aurelio (when fit), 9 players would walk into our first team right now and make us challengers, even winners. My conclusion is that if we make it right buy improving our spine with quality then we will be ok, however, I cannot trust the manager in charge with the money as his transfers so far has been poor.

Yeh I do agree with ya on the third point, we had amazing spine to the team. I always felt that upfront was were we lacked under Rafa at that particular moment in time. Neither baros or ciise were for me world class. We later got Torres but with lack of investment ( opposite actually) that team got picked apart. That's why I feel Brendan needs to be given time to build that spine. A lot of people will disagree I know but I think with mignolet, sakho and can ( midfield not rb) we are getting there. Still we need a world class striker. I personally think the league is stronger but the top half is weaker, hense the gap between the teams is smaller. Opinions I suppose. I'd love to see some stats on it.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #27452: Apr 25, 2015 09:15:13 pm
      I feel exactly how I felt at the end of Rafa's last season now. Obviously Hodgson was nightmare but when Kenny took over and finished the season stronger I had optimism for following season. Then 2011/12 although we finished a disappointing 8th (after hitting the woodwork about 46 times) we'd won the league cup and reached FA cup final, I had optimism for the following season.
      I was dismayed at Kenny's sacking BUT once Brendan found his feet bought Sturridge/Coutinho we had a strong finish, again giving me optimism for the next campaign.
      After coming so close last year we were all looking forward to this season. At the moment I have zero confidence for next season and not looking forward to it all, for the first time in years I won't have any optimism this time.
      We are at a vital point and please don't think for one second I'm comparing Klopp and Hodgson but when we let Rafa go I initially wasn't that bothered I thought he'd gone a bit stale but only a few months down the line with Hodgson I'd have given anything for Rafa back.
      I am absolutely s**ting it that if we got Klopp or whoever we'd regret it...I don't know??
      The difference then though is that Rafa did win trophies and three years in BR hasn't.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #27453: Apr 25, 2015 09:32:17 pm
      The whole Klopp thing is clouding the conversation somewhat now..

You don't know if he would be interested at all, you don't know if he would take the job.. Some are talking like it's just a matter of sacking Rodgers and he will be here after he has had two weeks in Benidorm at the end of the season.

The only thing you should be thinking is about the current manager.. Do you want him here or not? Don't let another manager who you have no idea if he would want to come here get involved in the decision.
      He seems a good manager but right as of this moment is absolutely nothing to do with this football club.. It's not a computer game, you can't just shift one out and one in.. Just think of all the high profile players we have missed out on and put that thought to Klopp.. There would be no certainty he has any thoughts about us.

Rodgers should really be the only discussion in terms of management of the club.

The other discussion should be the faltering transfer system which will hamstring any manager currently.

Today though his players didn't down tools, we dominated as much as a team can dominate without any cutting edge whatsoever on the pitch.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27454: Apr 25, 2015 09:33:31 pm

As I said at the start mate I didn't think there were many parallels and it's clear we look at this differently.

Where you say restrictions in the case of Dortmund I see limitations.

Could he have done better, purely speculative but I suspect yes hence why I think he'd do better than Brendan has with less limitations on his budget.

Can the same be said for Brendan? I think despite the restrictions put on him he has still done an awful job in the transfer market, so no I do not see the parallels between Brendan and Klopp in this instance nor do I see the parallels between Dortmund's board and our own.

That's where I saw the similarities Luke - I thought it was clear but it obviously wasn't.

It was clear, I simply disagree with you on this occasion.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #27455: Apr 25, 2015 09:35:45 pm
      So sitting on the fence right now i've got splinters!

This season went horribly wrong, I guess the owners know the real reasons and that will ultimately decide Brendan's fate....
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #27456: Apr 25, 2015 09:54:33 pm
      Shankly didn't win a title or trophy for six years. People on this forum and the media would be calling for his head after that length of time and he'd have been sacked long before we got to our third title.
      Rodgers is no Shankly and i hope we don't have this for 3 more yrs . we were in division 2 when Shankly took over , different situation mate

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #27457: Apr 25, 2015 10:07:12 pm
      We're a footballing economic experiment and nothing else , and it's gone tits up for them .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #27458: Apr 25, 2015 10:42:18 pm

;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #27459: Apr 25, 2015 11:43:00 pm
      BBC Headline - "Rodgers we were outstanding" - and we took the piss out of Moyes last season!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #27460: Apr 25, 2015 11:47:32 pm
      BBC Headline - "Rodgers we were outstanding" - and we took the piss out of Moyes last season!

Still waiting to see this outstanding performance on MOTD.

The bas**rds have saved the best for last. ;)
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #27461: Apr 26, 2015 12:08:56 am
      Still waiting to see this outstanding performance on MOTD.

The bas**rds have saved the best for last. ;)

I'm so glad they made the highlight reel so compact and quick, knackered like! :laugh:

Quick Reply