Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032319 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #34201: Aug 30, 2015 10:11:06 pm
      Defo mate, the Arsenal game was a different entity to most games we will play, especially in comparison to what we will play in 80% of the games we will play at Anfield where we will be expected to dominate the games, Arsenal will always play like Arsenal do, and we could actively play with a 'low block'... Keep them out and play our football on the break, we actually atarted both halfs in that game very deep with two banks of four and brought them to us, in the first half we came out because they started making uncharacteristic mistakes with their cb pair and we grew in confidence as they drained in it.. In the second half they didn't allow us out, yes we played well, yes we created chances through their mistakes but it was in game by the players rather than a set up prior to the game.. Had Ramseys goal stood the gane probably would have been utterly different.

There have been positives this year, the Stoke game though I'd imagine there was a massive element of the players who played there last season playing for complete personal pride and redemption

We currently look like we are operating in three seperate sections, the pitch looks massive because we are playing with big gaps between the midfield and attack. Brendan doesn't seem to know if he wants to be all out attacking dominance or attempting to try to keep it tight, the upshot is neither and a disjointed mess.

Arsenal to be fair are very very good at beating that sh*te of the league at home

If I recall Jon you and I were very similar in our thoughts at the end of last season in that it seemed the best time to make a change and if we didn't the pressure this season would be even greater on him after every loss.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34202: Aug 30, 2015 10:19:06 pm
      If I recall Jon you and I were very similar in our thoughts at the end of last season in that it seemed the best time to make a change and if we didn't the pressure this season would be even greater on him after every loss.

I didnt think he should have survived after Stoke mate if I'm honest.. We can't accept that, we shouldn't, and once you do it sets in a rot.. We are too big a club to get turned over like that, in that way, against a bog standard outfit.

I was also of the thought that the fans who were against him would never be back on his side and that with every poor result the gap would widen and that isn't helpful to the club.

But the structure of the club for me is wrong, the transfer business, the vision on and off the field.

But I still don't and wouldn't trust the owners to bring in a coach of the standing I'd expect if Brendan did go, which I don't think he will.. They won't put a structure in place to allow is to compete.. We can't outspend our rivals, certainly not in terms of wages, so we have to be smarter than them.. Unfortunately we have owners with little football intelligence about them that can't bridge that gap for us

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #34203: Aug 30, 2015 10:20:05 pm
      If Brendan starts with Lovren and only one up top against the Mancs, I'm serioulsy thinking about jumping on the growing bacndwagon that wants Brendan out. There's only so much we can take. I want you to succeed with us Brendan but you're not doing youself any favours.

We look like a team that can barely score but look like we conceed goals any minute of any match.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #34204: Aug 30, 2015 11:21:49 pm
      This was my point...so he basically has to win every single game to keep people off of his back? What other manager has to work under those standards?

It's ridiculous to think we are going to win every single game and we don't need to win every game to win the title (or to get top 4 if that's your goal).

I would not have been surprised to see Brendan shown the door in the off season and I would not have argued against it being warranted, but the fact that he's been backed financially by the owners, and backed confidence wise by the owners, he needs to be given time to make things work. Yes we were a bit fortunate in the first couple of games and now we've been beaten badly once again, but look at some of our rivals and the struggles they have had. I mean does anyone really think that LC is going to be in the top 4 after December? And likewise, does anyone think that Tottenham or Chelsea are going to continue to struggle to score? There's a lot of time left in the season, to turn on Brendan after one defeat seems a pretty fickle.

I'm not happy with some of his decisions...I think he's making a mistake staking his claim with Lovren and not playing with 2 up top.

Personally, I would have considered playing the diamond with two strikers (Ings and Benteke) and then going with either Sakho and Skrtel or even Sakho and Ilori at the two CB spots. A game against West Ham at home would have been the perfect time to mix things up a bit...but his insistence to play not to lose bit him hard. I will say it's not his fault that Phil got two yellow cards and we had to try to come back with 10 men. But still...Brendan has got to show pragmatism and get us firing again. If he doesn't, I think December is the first reasonable time to look at a replacement if we are languishing. In my opinion it's silly for people to turn on him so early in the season and nothing is going to change that opinion.

For me, and I would hope most Liverpool fans would agree (at least the sensible and fair minded amongst us), the only thing that's going to bring me back onboard with him as our manager is if I see evidence that he's learning from past mistakes. Benteke up front on his own works no more than Balotelli did up front on his own, or Lambert up front on his own. Lovren clearly has talent but his decision making process makes him a liability we can ill afford. If we had a Carragher or Hyppia alongside him then perhaps we'd get away with it but Skrtel is hardly the defensive General we need. I want to see changes.

If we go to United and get beat because they're the better side then I'll accept that. I won't be happy but I'll accept it as just one of those things. But if we go there and get beat again because Lovren makes some dodgy decision and we can't score because Benteke cuts a lonely, isolated figure up front on his own, then I will continue to be critical of the manager. I don't see that as being fickle nor is it an unreasonable expectation from any team's manager, let alone a Liverpool manager.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #34205: Aug 31, 2015 12:10:21 am
      He's got to flip the script against the Mancs...if he doesn't and we get trounced he deserves the stick he'll get. I still will think it's not really worthwhile to gang up on him though because I don't see FSG making any changes this year. I honestly think he bought himself at least this year with whatever went on in his meeting with them.

I don't know what to think...I want some positive results just like everyone else does, but I guess it's not in my nature to just be constantly negative...at least not after we've played only 4 games, won two and drawn one.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #34206: Aug 31, 2015 01:06:15 am
      I think the Strategy is to be near the top by December, and this will be achieved by dogged performances. Then when everyone is starting to suffer from fatigue, injuries etc we will go of wins by playing the football of fast movement and attack. It would be interesting to know what part of season we are the worst defensively under BR and what part the most goals are scored across the EPL.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #34207: Aug 31, 2015 01:13:56 am
      I didnt think he should have survived after Stoke mate if I'm honest.. We can't accept that, we shouldn't, and once you do it sets in a rot.. We are too big a club to get turned over like that, in that way, against a bog standard outfit.

I was also of the thought that the fans who were against him would never be back on his side and that with every poor result the gap would widen and that isn't helpful to the club.

But the structure of the club for me is wrong, the transfer business, the vision on and off the field.

But I still don't and wouldn't trust the owners to bring in a coach of the standing I'd expect if Brendan did go, which I don't think he will.. They won't put a structure in place to allow is to compete.. We can't outspend our rivals, certainly not in terms of wages, so we have to be smarter than them.. Unfortunately we have owners with little football intelligence about them that can't bridge that gap for us

Nice to see you back  couldn't agree more most of us knew the pressure would build , we have been dross for a long time give or take the odd game , like you allude to our owners have no more idea than brendan and that is extremely worrying.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #34208: Aug 31, 2015 01:24:05 am
      He's got to flip the script against the Mancs...if he doesn't and we get trounced he deserves the stick he'll get. I still will think it's not really worthwhile to gang up on him though because I don't see FSG making any changes this year. I honestly think he bought himself at least this year with whatever went on in his meeting with them.

I don't know what to think...I want some positive results just like everyone else does, but I guess it's not in my nature to just be constantly negative...at least not after we've played only 4 games, won two and drawn one.

You know what mate we have clashed before  and looking at your post face value I would like to agree with you  but you cant take it in isolation  you have to string it together and I know its a new season and all that but if you string the end of last season to this one its fckin alarming , I was gone a long time ago bud , I would love to be proved wrong as that woukd mean im wrong somehow with all the will in the world I can't see it ,
      Ive driven 400 odd miles on numerous occasions and seen us lose but up till now never in all that time did I think we were clueless saddly now I do .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34209: Aug 31, 2015 02:08:26 am
      You know what mate we have clashed before  and looking at your post face value I would like to agree with you  but you cant take it in isolation  you have to string it together and I know its a new season and all that but if you string the end of last season to this one its fckin alarming , I was gone a long time ago bud , I would love to be proved wrong as that woukd mean im wrong somehow with all the will in the world I can't see it ,
      Ive driven 400 odd miles on numerous occasions and seen us lose but up till now never in all that time did I think we were clueless saddly now I do .

Exactly Andy.

I keep seeing this "it's just 4 games" and I really do wonder how people come to that conclusion about an opinion on Brendan. It's 4 games on this season but it's the 4th year of this 'project'. The symptoms were there in the first two games, so many of the cheerleaders were saying "but we're winning ugly, that's what champions do" etc, etc. Trying to smack down those that were concerned greatly with the performance levels. I was trying to find crumbs for encouragement, the Gomez signing, the better defensive play against Arsenal (not against either Bournemouth or Stoke, I believe people were kidding themselves there). I also thought this summer's signings could be good but you try to build that wall of positivity and a performance such as that against West Ham does it's best wrecking ball impression.

I also don't understand the "be positive and everything will work out fine" attitude, it's naive at best, what is there to base the positivity on?

Brendan's CV is chronic.
      Sean O'Driscoll's CV is chronic.
      Our performance in cup competitions is abysmal.
      We've sold our better players.
      We have a captain who has to be the weakest leader I've witnessed at the club.
      We have a defence that has been making the same mistake for 3 years +.
      We're loaning out £20m players who were played out of position almost their entire time here.
      We're losing to West Ham at home 3-0 and we have 3 CBs on the pitch mustering 1 shot on target the entire game.

On the back of that people have the audacity to say "it's just 4 games", wake the F**k up!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34210: Aug 31, 2015 02:25:15 am

we have 10 players out loan Luis Alberto and Andre Wisdom are 22 years old in this era 22 is ancient if your not doing it a 21 then it aint going to happen at Liverpool. Yes I wanted Brendan out last season but the club is run by muppets and I would hate to think who they might replace him with. The money we have spent is nothing short of obscene and the squad we have for that money is embarrassing. Brendan has the same tactics as when he came score early and then pick them off through superior possesion. What happens when we dont score well we just look lost and then we usually do. We have had Andy Carroll, Riki Lambert,Mario Balotelli and now Benteke non of whom fit Brendans tactics do any of the committee ever watch us play. Sending Marcovic out is defintely a sign having spent £20 million on him that either Brendan cant get him to perform or he is just a waste of money. Change Brendan if you want I won't shed a tear but dont be surprised to see an experienced manger come in Big Sam anyone?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #34211: Aug 31, 2015 02:27:38 am
      Personally i dont think the solution is just as easy as saying "play two up front". We could play four up front but it clearly detracts from a midfield that is already struggling to defend and attack.

The reason two uo front made sense previously was because those two were Sturridge and Suarez; replacjng them with inferior players means the tradeoff with a weakend midfield is nor worth it overall. Clearly there is a reason why 1442 is generally seen as an outdated formation unless you have exceptional players.

We already have a cannon up top we need to find a way to supply him with more ammunition.

Once Sturridge is fit the partnershop will make sense - until then would it be worth dropping a midfielder to play Ings?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34212: Aug 31, 2015 02:55:26 am
      Once Sturridge is fit the partnershop will make sense - until then would it be worth dropping a midfielder to play Ings?

When you look at our central midfield options:

Allen
      Henderson
      Lucas
      Milner
      Can

the lack of creativity there is startling.

It's part of the reason why I and others were saying Benteke doesn't fit our style because you need width to supply him yet we have no natural width in the side. The commentator stated that we currently have the lowest number of crosses into the box in the entire league, so we have to fix a self created problem. I think you have to pack the midfield with creativity and actually play a more compact game but without exceptional movement up top then no amount of creativity is going to help so Ings would be an option if it didn't then expose our CBs through limited options in midfield.

Without Coutinho, Lallana and Henderson the midfield can't support it as Lucas simply doesn't have the mobility to cover and we don't have the legs in the side to accommodate. It's startling that just a couple of injuries have limited our options so massively.

The more I think about our side and how we would best get the greatest out of the sum of the parts I believe we need to play Teixeira:

Benteke Ings
          Firmino    Teixeira  Milner
                         Lucas
       Moreno  Sakho   Skrtel  Clyne

Away from home at Old Toilet I don't expect to see this, I expect the 3 CBs to return and our creativity to again look underwhelming. We can either go forward and try to win games accepting our failures in defence or we can attempt to mask them at the expense of all creativity.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #34213: Aug 31, 2015 03:20:47 am
      Personally i dont think the solution is just as easy as saying "play two up front". We could play four up front but it clearly detracts from a midfield that is already struggling to defend and attack.

The reason two uo front made sense previously was because those two were Sturridge and Suarez

I think another key factor was that the season we were on fire, Coutinho played in Midfield in a lot of our big wins. He sucks out on the left for the most part, especially when we have a right footed leftback who also always comes inside and No sterling causing problems on the right.

e.g

At the end of the day Lovren, Moreno, Balotelli, Benteke, Lallana, Markovic, Firmino, Borini, and even lambert were all excellent players in their own right. But its not working. for some reason.

He either got it painfully wrong in the transfer market getting players that dont suit 'his' system.

or he needs time to make them work, because at this rate we cant keep buying all these players (international class players mind you) and be sending them out on loan for a season because theyre suddenly rubbish after we spend 22 million on them. Its getting ridiculous. 

How long can you give someone to get it right? How many more players can we buy? I was a strong Rodgers supporter but he doesnt seem to learn, or learn fast enough. We haven't looked good with one up front EVER, unless it was with Suarez. We aren't gonna just stumble on another Suarez so there has to be a new plan. I dont care if its 3-5-2 but these sorts of defeats are unacceptable. We cant be losing 3-0 at home to west ham.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34214: Aug 31, 2015 03:52:02 am
      We haven't looked good with one up front EVER

Picked this quite simple but extremely important point out of a good post. Even when Sturridge has played up top on his own we've rarely looked effective and throughout last season people were bemoaning the 1 up top policy and yet it continued and still does.

It's alarming that 1 up top seems to have been the plan from the outset and yet we look so ineffective with it.

At this point I believe Brendan's running out of new ideas, the entire team consisting of all right footed players is extremely odd. While some will suggest it doesn't matter I believe when it becomes your entire team it does. Our threat from the left hand side is virtually none-existent.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #34215: Aug 31, 2015 04:16:40 am

Allen
      Henderson
      Lucas
      Milner
      Can

It's part of the reason why I and others were saying Benteke doesn't fit our style because you need width to supply him yet we have no natural width in the side. The commentator stated that we currently have the lowest number of crosses into the box in the entire league, so we have to fix a self created problem. I think you have to pack the midfield with creativity and actually play a more compact game but without exceptional movement up top then no amount of creativity is going to help so Ings would be an option if it didn't then expose our CBs through limited options in midfield.

Without Coutinho, Lallana and Henderson the midfield can't support it as Lucas simply doesn't have the mobility to cover and we don't have the legs in the side to accommodate. It's startling that just a couple of injuries have limited our options so massively.

The more I think about our side and how we would best get the greatest out of the sum of the parts I believe we need to play Teixeira:

Benteke Ings
                         Lucas

Away from home at Old Toilet I don't expect to see this, I expect the 3 CBs to return and our creativity to again look underwhelming. We can either go forward and try to win games accepting our failures in defence or we can attempt to mask them at the expense of all creativity.

Agree with everything said. In fact I'd even like to see Ilori in there for Skrtel after what I saw, but that may be pushing it.

Playing a partnership makes complete sense to me. It will prepare Benteke for playing that style when Studge returns and it gives us more dynamic in our attack in the meantime; it's not like our midfield has offered much threat.

Teixeira meanwhile has been excellent in the youth setup, impressed on his loans, and looked good in preseason, the fact that he and Ilori haven't gotten at least some time in the first team is not only mind-boggling, but just absurd in general. Would love to see him get a game, especially given that Couts is out for the next one and none of Ibe, Lallana, or Firmino have impressed much if at all. Understandably Firmino will come around for sure, but the other two did not look promising to me this far.

Personally though I think Brendan is too headstrong for it. He finds who he likes and goes with them and that's it. My perception of his character has depleted over the years, just me though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34216: Aug 31, 2015 05:20:19 am
      Was happy enough to see him stay if he was to fix the glaring problems he and the side had/have.

But it's apparent he can't. He still uses the same formations, same tactics, same style as he did before. He can't be flexibile and adaptive in-game and he gets found out too easily, especially against managers who have experience outside of England.

Look at our team and look at our transfers. We're a glorified Tottenham for god sake. His signings are full of standouts in mid table teams. Benteke, Lovren, Borini, Allen, Moreno, Mignolet the list goes on and on. He's bought so much and you can count the standouts in one hand.

He has to go. It's a shame because he seems to get the club and the fans but he's found out time and again.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #34217: Aug 31, 2015 07:22:40 am
      He set the club back 5 years with his transfer dealings.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #34218: Aug 31, 2015 07:49:27 am
      If we are going to replace Rodgers then in my opinion there is only one man who I believe can restore us back on top of our domestic league & European football.

That man is Carlo Ancelotti, with Gerrard, Carra & Gary Mac as his coaches.

Since the sacking of Rafa this club has regressed, Kenny bought some hope, other than that we have been sh*te barring one spectacular season.

Over the past 3 seasons there has never been an open goal for us the win the league whilst our rivals stuttered but Rodgers has failed to capitalise on this.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34219: Aug 31, 2015 07:54:33 am
      He set the club back 5 years with his transfer dealings.

It's not as simple as blaming him for the transfer business though George.. It's not one man making the signings and that's a big part of the problem. 

There seems no over riding plan to the transfers though I'd agree, but one of the main issues is the lack of single vision throughout the club on transfers..

You can certainly suggest that the manager hasnt either set out a certain strategy on the pitch in over 3 seasons and the transfer work supports that, even if the transfers are done by either a manager or a committee that each player coming in you should be able to see where they fit into that system.. But can we really say that? What's Firmino's role in a system? What was Balotelli's? What was Markovic's? What's Lallana's? Whats Can's?
      The list goes on, good players who haven't really been signed with a certain role in mind when they have been brought in seemingly.. Just good lads we can get over the line and we'll work it out later.. That's no way to conduct transfer work, but that's not simply the managers fault as he isn't bringing in all the players..

Take a look at Chelsea two summers back.. They needed a boss lad up top and a creative player in the middle to fit their system.. So that's who they signed.

Look at Rafa's at his peak here with his high profile signings.. Torres, Macherano, Alonso Reina.. All signed to fit into a certain model and a system designed to get the best from them..

Back to Kenny's first stint, Aldo, Barnes Beardsley etc all signed with a system in mind..

We haven't given the likes of Lallana or Markovic or whoever in recent seasons the best chance in my opinion to settle and kick on as they are shunted around positions and systems that neither have really played.
      If you scout and signed Lallana, you look at what he did for Southampton and see if he can do something similar here.. But we haven't done that.. He has played on 3 or 4 positions and people get on his back but in reality he hasn't had a run in a settled side in a settled position.

It's a different argument that in the past we would sign a player and he would stay in the ressies for a year and learn the club.. We aren't a settled squad or team right now and each player coming in is being brought in to have an impact and bridge a problem.. But the amount of players coming in is too many IMO as we are ripping up and starting again every year..
      My main frustration with the manager is that it's not been a 3-4 year project so far, it's been 3 or 4 seperate ones starting fresh every year.. The blueprint, systems and style seems to be fresh every year with a load of new lads coming in and starting the process again.. The lack of joined up thinking over FSGs tenure frustrates the f**k out of me.
      From day one under Rafa I could see what he was trying to build.. From day one under Brendan I cant, it changes every year
      I feel like we are starting again at the the beginning of his forth season and to expect patience every season to start again and struggle to see an end vision is pushing it.. If I saw a vision we are working to I could go with it, but it's as if we are just throwing stuff in the air every summer and hoping it falls in a pattern.

The club have fu**ed up transfers not just the manager, the manager tgough for me takes the blame that there is no obvious plan of what we want to look like as a team.. I can't see it still and after 3 years that's not good enough.

Every player Arsenal sign is to a plan, every player Chelsea sign is to a plan.. Every player we sign isn't and that's inept
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #34220: Aug 31, 2015 07:54:40 am
      If we are going to replace Rodgers then in my opinion there is only one man who I believe can restore us back on top of our domestic league & European football.

That man is Carlo Ancelotti, with Gerrard, Carra & Gary Mac as his coaches.

Since the sacking of Rafa this club has regressed, Kenny bought some hope, other than that we have been sh*te barring one spectacular season.

Over the past 3 seasons there has never been an open goal for us the win the league whilst our rivals stuttered but Rodgers has failed to capitalise on this.

We need someone who is hungry for success, young and who proved himself at the top-level. That man is Klopp, who also has great charisma and an eye for players on top of that.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,824 posts | 4921 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34221: Aug 31, 2015 08:14:33 am

Allen
      Henderson
      Lucas
      Milner
      Can

Benteke Ings
                         Lucas

Yep can't argue with that Lukey lad, I like your X1 mate but I'd have a back 4 of Moreno Sakho Gomez Clyne, Lucas sat in front, the same 3 in midfield and the two up top,

Mignolet
                Clyne Gomez Sakho Moreno
                                    Lucas
                   Milner.  Texiera. Firmino
                          Ings.    Benteke

Can honestly see Brendan being this bold,?  nah me neither!

Probably to weak in midfield and would get overrun, leaving Lucas exposed and facing granny shagger,  Inbred memphis and Herrera the Whore,
      Not a favourable result I would imagine,  if Hendo is back Brendan will stick to his lone striker theory and play similarly to that V Arse,  in fact that's how he'll want to regardless,  in other words his usual predictable self..

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,824 posts | 4921 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34222: Aug 31, 2015 08:32:31 am
      It's not as simple as blaming him for the transfer business though George.. It's not one man making the signings and that's a big part of the problem. 

There seems no over riding plan to the transfers though I'd agree, but one of the main issues is the lack of single vision throughout the club on transfers..

You can certainly suggest that the manager hasnt either set out a certain strategy on the pitch in over 3 seasons and the transfer work supports that, even if the transfers are done by either a manager or a committee that each player coming in you should be able to see where they fit into that system.. But can we really say that? What's Firmino's role in a system? What was Balotelli's? What was Markovic's? What's Lallana's? Whats Can's?
      The list goes on, good players who haven't really been signed with a certain role in mind when they have been brought in seemingly.. Just good lads we can get over the line and we'll work it out later.. That's no way to conduct transfer work, but that's not simply the managers fault as he isn't bringing in all the players..

Take a look at Chelsea two summers back.. They needed a boss lad up top and a creative player in the middle to fit their system.. So that's who they signed.

Look at Rafa's at his peak here with his high profile signings.. Torres, Macherano, Alonso Reina.. All signed to fit into a certain model and a system designed to get the best from them..

Back to Kenny's first stint, Aldo, Barnes Beardsley etc all signed with a system in mind..

We haven't given the likes of Lallana or Markovic or whoever in recent seasons the best chance in my opinion to settle and kick on as they are shunted around positions and systems that neither have really played.
      If you scout and signed Lallana, you look at what he did for Southampton and see if he can do something similar here.. But we haven't done that.. He has played on 3 or 4 positions and people get on his back but in reality he hasn't had a run in a settled side in a settled position.

It's a different argument that in the past we would sign a player and he would stay in the ressies for a year and learn the club.. We aren't a settled squad or team right now and each player coming in is being brought in to have an impact and bridge a problem.. But the amount of players coming in is too many IMO as we are ripping up and starting again every year..
      My main frustration with the manager is that it's not been a 3-4 year project so far, it's been 3 or 4 seperate ones starting fresh every year.. The blueprint, systems and style seems to be fresh every year with a load of new lads coming in and starting the process again.. The lack of joined up thinking over FSGs tenure frustrates the f**k out of me.
      From day one under Rafa I could see what he was trying to build.. From day one under Brendan I cant, it changes every year
      I feel like we are starting again at the the beginning of his forth season and to expect patience every season to start again and struggle to see an end vision is pushing it.. If I saw a vision we are working to I could go with it, but it's as if we are just throwing stuff in the air every summer and hoping it falls in a pattern.

The club have fu**ed up transfers not just the manager, the manager tgough for me takes the blame that there is no obvious plan of what we want to look like as a team.. I can't see it still and after 3 years that's not good enough.

Every player Arsenal sign is to a plan, every player Chelsea sign is to a plan.. Every player we sign isn't and that's inept

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All day long,

Twice on Sunday,

Top class sensible posting once again PD.

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34223: Aug 31, 2015 08:32:51 am

Just pulled this from another cracking post Jon and it really does sum us up.

You couldn't really highlight it more when we have Raheem Sterling and Markovic playing as wing-backs. Their talent wasted in positions that will only serve to frustrate and underwhelm both fan and player alike. It's been a recurring theme throughout Brendan's tenure that players are played out of position. Now the question would be, is it his fault through not getting the players he wants? I believe the apologists would attempt to sell that story but it doesn't wash for a second, he's also had plenty of what he did want and he's failed to fit them into a coherent unit.

Can for example, the German national coach let slip that Brendan wants to play him in Gerrard's role as the deep lying play maker, yet when he's figured this season he's actually played more as a right sided midfielder. Last season he was a CB or RB, this lad is a talent but we're developing him with no long term plan in mind he's just shoved in wherever there's room or crisis it seems.

That's why it frustrates me to see the likes of Markovic go out on loan, he was one of Europe's absolute best but I feel his confidence is destroyed and that's thanks to being managed by Brendan. Sure he may not have been good enough in the end but his management sure as hell provided him with no platform to showcase his talents and when you're constantly subbed off at half-time is it any wonder you fail to produce when asked?

Gomez a CB or RB comes into our team as a LB, the list goes on and frankly all I see in our team now is a group of players who don't bring out the best in each other, no leadership, very little top quality and far too many mistakes waiting to happen. I've said it a few times now but I'd gladly trade this squad for the one Brendan inherited:

Reina
      Johnson  Skrtel    Agger    Enrique
                         Lucas
                 Henderson Gerrard
          Kuyt                          Rodriguez
                         Suarez

That team could almost win the league in my opinion (cue people ripping into Kenny on the back of that comment), where ours I believe are 5th - 8th place at best. West Ham may have been only one game but the performances in all 4 have finished me completely with Brendan and I really do hope we come to our senses sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply