Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

Nuri Sahin (Liverpool -> Dortmund -> Real Madrid)

Read 55166 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,308 posts | 8594 
      Re: Nuri Sahin (Liverpool -> Dortmund -> Real Madrid)
      Reply #345: Jan 18, 2013 10:56:25 pm
      Remember it well.  Loved Jari as a player and didn't recall the falling out with GH - what was the issue (or is there a thread tucked away somewhere?).

Can't remember the issue, but it would probably be something to do with Houllier's management style, wanted to be like a school headmaster at times.

Add Babbel, Westerveld, Fowler and Camara to the list of players who fell out with Ged and were gone not long afterwards.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #346: Mar 14, 2013 11:54:46 am
      Sahin tears into Reds boss Rodgers

Nuri Sahin has blamed Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers for his disappointing six months at Anfield earlier this season.

Sahin, 24, is currently at Borussia Dortmund, after a loan from Real Madrid to Liverpool did not work out earlier this season. He made 12 appearances for the Premier League side, but only completed the 90 minutes four times and three of those games were in the Europa League.

The Turkey international told AS on Thursday that Rodgers had played him out of position as a No. 10, when his best position is deeper in midfield, and the pair had differed about this.
      "I did not fail at Liverpool," Sahin said. "Brendan Rodgers wanted me to play as a '10'. But I do not play behind the forwards. I spoke with him and asked him why I was playing there. It is not my real position.

"The boss could not answer me... Still, I am not sorry about it. To play in the red jersey and be in Anfield is something marvellous. Maybe if I had not gone there I would not have been able to return to Borussia Dortmund. For that, I am happy. But I have left Brendan Rodgers, thanks be to God."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/197479.html

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #347: Mar 14, 2013 12:21:51 pm

Nuri Sahin has blamed Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers for his disappointing six months at Anfield earlier this season.

Sahin, 24, is currently at Borussia Dortmund, after a loan from Real Madrid to Liverpool did not work out earlier this season. He made 12 appearances for the Premier League side, but only completed the 90 minutes four times and three of those games were in the Europa League.

The Turkey international told AS on Thursday that Rodgers had played him out of position as a No. 10, when his best position is deeper in midfield, and the pair had differed about this.
      "I did not fail at Liverpool," Sahin said. "Brendan Rodgers wanted me to play as a '10'. But I do not play behind the forwards. I spoke with him and asked him why I was playing there. It is not my real position.

"The boss could not answer me... Still, I am not sorry about it. To play in the red jersey and be in Anfield is something marvellous. Maybe if I had not gone there I would not have been able to return to Borussia Dortmund. For that, I am happy. But I have left Brendan Rodgers, thanks be to God."

It's a bit unnecessary to come out with these comments but in a way he is right. When he did play he was actually playing out of position even though in 12 appearances he got 3 goals and 3 assists. I think it lies with his lack of fitness but also the fact that Rodgers had just paid £15m for Allen and preferred him instead of Sahin as the deeper playmaker. He should be thanking god that he left Madrid not Liverpool. The English game is more harder to get used to than the Spanish and German style so he was obviously not going to play all of the time but still should have played quite often to build up his understanding of the style and also his fitness levels.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,405 posts | 2827 
      Reply #348: Mar 14, 2013 12:25:12 pm
      Fair play to him - he's entitled to his opinion. Do agree that he was played in the wrong position but to be honest he wasn't going to get into the team ahead of Gerrard in the deeper role so moving him on was probably the best option for all concerned.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #349: Mar 14, 2013 01:00:02 pm
      Simply unprofessional, an idiot to make those statements and loses any respect he left with, translated:

= I cried to the boss when I couldn't handle the pressure of changing position and when it wasn't working for me there I cried some more. In the end Brendan Rodgers got tired of my crying and inability to adapt and sacked me off so now I'm going to cry about it some more.

I'd like to blame everything on Brendan Rodgers because another flaw I have is the inability to accept responsibility of my own failures.

Glad to be rid of him after that backslap.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,308 posts | 8594 
      Reply #350: Mar 14, 2013 01:26:31 pm
      Still not on a par with what that fat c**t Cole said!!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #351: Mar 14, 2013 02:13:08 pm

Very true mate, disgusting comments from him.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #352: Mar 14, 2013 02:29:44 pm

;D at that headline. Classic ESPNUK/FC.  He didn't "tear" into Brendan, just stated that he was being played out of position - which, coincidentally, he was - and that Brendan couldn't give him a good enough answer (in Sahin's opinion). I'm willing to cut Brendan a lot of slack and give him a lot of credit, but on this one he was totally wrong.

It was like bringing in Xabi Alonso and playing him just off the striker.

I must have missed that one. What'd he say?
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #353: Mar 14, 2013 04:04:31 pm
      Clearly was played out of position but can F**k off.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #354: Mar 14, 2013 04:42:13 pm
      "I did not fail at Liverpool," Sahin said. "Brendan Rodgers wanted me to play as a '10'. But I do not play behind the forwards. I spoke with him and asked him why I was playing there. It is not my real position."

Joe Allen has played defensive midfield. Jordan Henderson has played wide. Stewart Downing has played left back. Jose Enrique has played left wing. Hell, even Jonjo Shelvey has played at forward.

Those weren't their natural positions but they did the job because they were asked to.

It sounds to me like Sahin refused to do the job. Or at the very least his attitude about it was negative. So good riddance. You can't expect to only ever play your natural position. You go where you are told and you throw yourself into doing as well as possible in that position. The fact that we cut his loan deal short speaks volumes. It wasn't about his play, it was about his attitude and mentality.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #355: Mar 14, 2013 04:50:01 pm
      Whether he was being played out of position or not is irrelevant (it's not as if he was being played in goal). As a player of that calibre and being payed that amount of money you'd expect him to do the job asked by his manager. He should have kept his mouth shut. No sympathy or no "I understand where he's coming from" with me. Clearly by this statement alone he didn't have the required attitude to succeed and ultimately it was the right decision to move him on.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #356: Mar 14, 2013 04:54:14 pm
      No need for Sahin to come out with that, it's just unprofessional. The sensationalist headline doesn't help, either.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #357: Mar 14, 2013 05:38:41 pm
      He was played in the 10 spot because he lacked the pace and tackling to play deeper in BRs system. He played decently at the number 10 but it sounds like he was mad because he didn't get to play exactly where he wanted. In that case BR was right to send him off. Play where you are told and be happy you are on the field.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #358: Mar 15, 2013 12:56:08 am
      Bench warmer at Dortmund now as well.

Bet Stevie is jealous still.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #359: Mar 15, 2013 01:06:06 am
      It was a strange signing for us and then he was gone like a fart in the wind . He didn't have much pace but was able to get himself into good positions then he'd fluff his chances . tara Nuri you weren't for us .
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #360: Mar 15, 2013 02:48:27 am
      I think one of the biggest disappointments with Sahin was his work rate. He just didn't put in a shift that Liverpool demand, maybe that was why Brendan didn't play him deeper and got rid. I can't tell but I remember thinking we should give him a run in a deeper role though.

Either way he's gone, and he's not coming back. He's a quality player but I think his heart was set for Dortmund.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #361: Mar 15, 2013 05:24:02 am
      Get over it Nuri.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #362: Mar 15, 2013 05:37:57 am
      Showed no desire to succeed here whatsoever!!

Good riddance.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #363: Mar 15, 2013 09:44:05 am
      10 role? If i remember correctly he'd come deep often enough to play his amazing game, but that still never happened.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,455 posts | 3427 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #364: Mar 15, 2013 10:55:29 am
      Amazing how throwing a bit of criticism BR's way changes peoples opinion of Sahin
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #365: Mar 15, 2013 12:55:58 pm
      Amazing how throwing a bit of criticism BR's way changes peoples opinion of Sahin

It's not that at all. Those quotes show us something we've not known before and that's his attitude, his mentality and commitment, on all 3 counts we're better off without the likes of him.

Previous opinion on him was formed without this knowledge, therefore people aren't 'changing' their opinion, they're actually forming their final opinion of him.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,622 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #366: Mar 15, 2013 12:58:29 pm

Not really.
      Opinions are forever evolving.
      At least they should be.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #367: Mar 15, 2013 02:02:40 pm
      Not really.
      Opinions are forever evolving.
      At least they should be.

If Sahin came out and said, I thank BR he is a top manager. Everyone would be praising that Sahin is a top player who didn't fit in.

Quick Reply