Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 494557 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3404: Aug 25, 2016 01:57:21 am
      What's to explain, it's hardly rocket science!!

Then you've not been paying much to attention to what's been going on at the club lately.  Analytics is a big factor in essentially everything that goes on.  In fact it's one of the reasons we sometimes play Firmino through the middle, because apparently (according to analytics) his pressing is quicker, he presses more, etc.  So he becomes the focal point of our pressing and everyone else follows through.

There's no way there is *any* player on the pitch to whom the manager/coaches just say "hey you go play somewhere over there" and that's it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #3405: Aug 25, 2016 10:05:11 am
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3406: Aug 25, 2016 10:14:41 am

This is true. I can't imagine Klopp telling Sturridge he is starting on the right and he is stay out there hugging the touchline.

Look at what Mane does when he plays at there, quick passes into the centre and looks for space to have the ball returned. Sturridge is more than capable of moving into the centre more, especially with Clyne behind him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3407: Aug 25, 2016 10:49:37 am
      Then you've not been paying much to attention to what's been going on at the club lately.  Analytics is a big factor in essentially everything that goes on.  In fact it's one of the reasons we sometimes play Firmino through the middle, because apparently (according to analytics) his pressing is quicker, he presses more, etc.  So he becomes the focal point of our pressing and everyone else follows through.

There's no way there is *any* player on the pitch to whom the manager/coaches just say "hey you go play somewhere over there" and that's it.

Either Klopp assumed Sturridge was more intelligent than he is, or much more likely Sturridge just had a bit of a hissy fit about not playing in his favoured position as striker, but as he plays in a similar position for England (out wide) why on earth would Klopp have to explain in detail how Sturridge should play??
      The more I read about it the more i think Sturridge is a bit of a pr**k, but he is a damned good striker when fit and motivated.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #3408: Aug 25, 2016 11:02:28 am

Either Klopp assumed Sturridge was more intelligent than he is, or much more likely Sturridge just had a bit of a hissy fit about not playing in his favoured position as striker, but as he plays in a similar position for England (out wide) why on earth would Klopp have to explain in detail how Sturridge should play??
      The more I read about it the more i think Sturridge is a bit of a pr**k, but he is a damned good striker when fit and motivated.

I don't like that this is becoming the underlying tone of this whole thing, Sturridge is being a moody pr**k, he needs to shut up and do what he's told.

Well he's not saying anything that Milner hasn't said this year in relation to playing left back. Both players have said they don't want to play out of position but will do if that's what is asked. He hasn't said he's going to down tools if he's played there again. And lest we all forget the man who would have sacrificed everything for LFC in the last 18 years had this exact same issue when he was played Right Mid field, Gerrard didn't go quietly either.

Top players want to play in their best position and get the best result both personally and for the team. I see nothing wrong with it, there is an element of ego involved but these players wouldn't be at the level they are if they didn't have that chip on their shoulder, it's that same self confidence that made Sturridge take that shot on the outside of the boot against Sevilla. I wouldn't expect Rush, Fowler, Owen or Torres to be delighted to play out wide either.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3409: Aug 25, 2016 11:11:28 am
      I don't like that this is becoming the underlying tone of this whole thing, Sturridge is being a moody pr**k, he needs to shut up and do what he's told.

Well he's not saying anything that Milner hasn't said this year in relation to playing left back. Both players have said they don't want to play out of position but will do if that's what is asked. He hasn't said he's going to down tools if he's played there again. And lest we all forget the man who would have sacrificed everything for LFC in the last 18 years had this exact same issue when he was played Right Mid field, Gerrard didn't go quietly either.

Top players want to play in their best position and get the best result both personally and for the team. I see nothing wrong with it, there is an element of ego involved but these players wouldn't be at the level they are if they didn't have that chip on their shoulder, it's that same self confidence that made Sturridge take that shot on the outside of the boot against Sevilla. I wouldn't expect Rush, Fowler, Owen or Torres to be delighted to play out wide either.

The thing is that they should just shut up and do the job which they are very very very well paid for. If I was a player I'd see it as a compliment that someone thought I was so versatile that I could cover for a teammate.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #3410: Aug 25, 2016 11:44:00 am
      If Daniel Sturridge (DS) did say those things then he is stupid. There is only going to be one winner in this and that is Klopp.

Klopp likes Origi (& it seems lots of our supporters prefer him to start over Sturridge). Klopp could make DS's life much harder by bringing him on as a substitute.
      Also, if things get worse than Klopp (& I bet FSG would be pleased as punch) sell him in January/end of season for lots of money. Klopp could but someone else.

DS should keep quiet and get on with it. This kind of thing doesn't happen all the time. Klopp may have played in out of position for couple of games. It's not as if Klopp wants DS to play out wide all the time.

IMHO: Sturridge is an idiot for making such a statement.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #3411: Aug 25, 2016 11:48:25 am

Apart from Villarreal at home last season, how many times over the last couple of seasons have we looked good with Sturridge up front? That's a genuine question. There will obviously be other occasions but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

It's also ironic that he's complaining about playing out wide when he usually drifts there anyway throughout the game.

He said the same at Chelsea and he said the same with England. He's got a right to have a preferred position. But equally the manager's got a right to play him wherever he wants.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3412: Aug 25, 2016 12:04:47 pm
      Apart from Villarreal at home last season, how many times over the last couple of seasons have we looked good with Sturridge up front? That's a genuine question. There will obviously be other occasions but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

It's also ironic that he's complaining about playing out wide when he usually drifts there anyway throughout the game.

He said the same at Chelsea and he said the same with England. He's got a right to have a preferred position. But equally the manager's got a right to play him wherever he wants.

What I find ironic though is the amount of people going mental at Hodgson for playing Sturridge out wide because he's not as effective there but now support the idea of him being out wide at Liverpool. It's one or the other...

Sturridge is easily the best goalscorer we have at the club, I'd like to see him utilised alongside Origi a bit more often rather than one out wide and one in the middle. There's also a big difference between being placed in a definitive position (out wide) than drifting into that position on occasion during a game.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3413: Aug 25, 2016 01:16:39 pm
      People, pundits, papers, twitterlings etc. all making way too much of these comments.

Whats went un commented is him touching the badge and saying he will play wherever selected and give 100%.

FFS. he has been playing in a front 3 that is fluid (klopps word) that's the old LFC poetry in motion.

All that matters is he stays fit and starts most games. ps he scored 2 goals from starting on the right of a 3.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3414: Aug 25, 2016 01:25:51 pm
      he is a moody c**t and always has been its part of his make up and he can be as moody as he wants as long as he gets himself back to being the old 2013 player. I also notice he touched the badge after he scored. That lad must be frustrated as hell at how his career has stalled these past couple of seasons . More than anything he needs game time and confidence.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3415: Aug 25, 2016 01:30:07 pm
      Just put the ball in the onion bag Danny & give the Boss a selection headache.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3416: Aug 25, 2016 01:44:43 pm
      People, pundits, papers, twitterlings etc. all making way too much of these comments.

Whats went un commented is him touching the badge and saying he will play wherever selected and give 100%.

FFS. he has been playing in a front 3 that is fluid (klopps word) that's the old LFC poetry in motion.

All that matters is he stays fit and starts most games. ps he scored 2 goals from starting on the right of a 3.

Agree, I thought his comments were just honest, nothing "telling Jürgen how it is".

He said the most important sentence of all "I'll play where I'm told to play and give all for the team", that's enough for me.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3417: Aug 25, 2016 01:57:13 pm
      Agree, I thought his comments were just honest, nothing "telling Jürgen how it is".

He said the most important sentence of all "I'll play where I'm told to play and give all for the team", that's enough for me.

Negativeness makes for a better headline though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,268 posts | 6368 
      Reply #3418: Aug 25, 2016 01:57:51 pm

Exactly. People are making mountains out of molehills.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #3419: Aug 25, 2016 02:07:33 pm
      He didn't need to say anything at all apart from "I will play where ever the manager wants me to play".

Over paid prima donna.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3420: Aug 25, 2016 02:16:59 pm

exactly.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,726 posts | 880 
      Reply #3421: Aug 25, 2016 02:32:56 pm
      Exactly. People are making mountains out of molehills.

Aye, but this is Sturridge. The player who many LFC fans claim 'makes up his injuries' or 'has a mental issue' for his injuries.. doesn't want to play... is lazy... has an attitude problem.. etc. etc.

No matter how good Sturridge is, no matter how important he is to our team (given that he is the best player, that's pretty important!), no matter how many goals he scores (he scored two in that last game!), the criticism follows.

But hey ho, this is Liverpool. One big family. Best supporters. YNWA and all that.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #3422: Aug 25, 2016 02:40:17 pm
      Heard a good point on The Anfield Wrap this week, Klopp would have spent all week preparing for Burnley with Mane in mind for the right side of the front three. It's thursday when Mane injures his shoulder, so basically Klopp has a day to change his whole match preparation, or put Sturridge in, who wouldn't have started otherwise.

I don't think he see's Sturridge as a winger, he just had to use him in that role on short notice. And I think with Klopp everyone is going to have to be willing and ready to put in a shift where they're told when called upon. He's not afraid to mix it up for the benefit of the team in what he see's will be a tactical improvement, and he's right too!

Youre really making excuses for Klopp here.

When Hodgson played Danny on the wings in the Euros we all sh*t on Woy.

Stop making excuses for Klopp, he got it wrong against Burnley.

Also Milner literally said he doesn't like playing left back, and its barely reported. Why try to blow this up?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3423: Aug 25, 2016 02:48:08 pm
      Firmino through the middle, because... he becomes the focal point of our pressing and everyone else follows through.

Well they certainly sh*t themselves against Burnley at weekend.

Anyways, Sturridge is daft for saying that and so too was Milner. However, i agree with their sentiments but all that should be kept in their own thoughts for now. Truth is, they shouldn't be playing in false positions at the beginning of the season. Fair enough having to make do and mend mid way through a season if we are suffering from injuries but not at the start of a campaign.

The chat was with Brendan that his insistence on playing players out of position was one of his failings, well that is happening now with Jürgen.

If Milner and Sturridge are goig into games unhappy with their role then their performances will inevitably suffer too. If we want a left back we should buy one and of we want a wide man we should get one of them too. We all had aa good giggle at Roy playing Studge there at euro 2016, so its equally as ridiculous now Klopp is doing it.

I'm always a bit sceptical when i hear a player 'can play anywhere along the front or just behind the striker' because few actually can or want to.

Lets get our most prolific striker up front where he is meant to be.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2016 02:59:41 pm by fields of anny rd »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #3424: Aug 25, 2016 03:01:45 pm
      Just put the ball in the onion bag Danny & give the Boss a selection headache.

Ironically, this is all he's ever done for LFC - score goals with frightening levels of consistency!! 

If Klopp thinks Firmino is the right player for the CF role in his system, then I'll back his decision.  I just can't help but think how devastating we could be with Studge, Mane, and Coutinho as our three pronged attack....
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #3425: Aug 25, 2016 03:37:49 pm
      BREAKING NEWS: Striker in wanting to play natural position shocker.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3426: Aug 25, 2016 03:50:07 pm
      The chat was with Brendan that his insistence on playing players out of position was one of his failings, well that is happening now with Jürgen.
      And... the silence is deafening from those who 'chatted' the loudest and longest about it. Weird that?  :laugh: :laugh:

Quick Reply