Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Transfer Topic: Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo > Liverpool)

Read 34349 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Transfer Topic: Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo > Liverpool)
      May 22, 2013 11:12:10 pm
      Liverpool are close to agreeing a deal to bring Spanish striker Iago Aspas to Anfield this summer.The Celta Vigo forward was wanted by Chelsea and Reading in January, but only the relegation-bound Royals made an official bid and Celta refused to sell their man for less than his €10million release clause.However, with rock-bottom Celta now looking set for relegation from La Liga, the Anfield giants want to take advantage of his clause dropping to €7m and have offered him a £45,000-a-week deal.The 25-year-old, who has been linked with Swansea recently, has been a rare shining light in an otherwise disappointing season for Celta, scoring 11 goals and setting up six more.The 5ft 9in tall Aspas can play off the front-line or in a wider position, and would slot neatly into Brendan Rodgers' mobile attacking trio.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-iago-aspas-deal-1905327

Follow the link for a short video.
      « Last Edit: Sep 30, 2013 02:24:46 pm by JD »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo)
      Reply #1: May 22, 2013 11:26:04 pm
      Should be a very interesting option for a relatively low price. I like the sound of it, though in all honesty, haven't seen much of him. I remember discussing him with a friend last week when we were looking at possible targets from relegated sides around Europe.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: May 22, 2013 11:31:45 pm
      Hands up, I know nothing about the lad other than what's in that article and video  :confused-smiley-013:
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #3: May 23, 2013 03:08:27 am
      Wouldn't Son Heung-Min would be a much better option, given we might have to pay double the fee? We definitely need a 'poacher' in the 18-yard box which Son is definitely capable of, with this pace, versatility and 2-footed play
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #4: May 23, 2013 06:37:47 pm
      Seems to be highly rated by Spanish journalists. Could be a decent buy for a relatively low price.

One things for sure - we need more goalscoring options.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #5: May 23, 2013 08:03:14 pm
      This would be such an under-the-radar move. I didn't hear anything about this until this thread.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #6: May 23, 2013 08:23:17 pm
      This would be such an under-the-radar move. I didn't hear anything about this until this thread.

I only saw the rumblings last night on Twitter...doesn't sound too bad a player, especially if we can get a good deal. Always like a good deal ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #7: May 23, 2013 08:30:51 pm
      I only saw the rumblings last night on Twitter...doesn't sound too bad a player, especially if we can get a good deal. Always like a good deal ;D

Assaidi was a good deal, but that didn't really work out, so you never know how any transfer will turn out.
      Bier
      Reply #8: May 23, 2013 08:33:01 pm
      This guy actually crossed my mind last summer when we were in need of a few strikers, as a cheap low risk gamble for a backup striker with potential for more. Laudrup is an admirer too.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #9: May 24, 2013 10:48:07 am
      Hands up, I know nothing about the lad other than what's in that article and video  :confused-smiley-013:

You and me both mate.

No doubt we'll have the usual band of posters who have been watching him every week for the last two years, while also watching 80 live games a week from 12 different Leagues via internet streams.

It happens every Summer mate.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: May 24, 2013 10:51:19 am
      You and me both mate.

No doubt we'll have the usual band of posters who have been watching him every week for the last two years, while also watching 80 live games a week from 12 different Leagues via internet streams.

As one of these saddos, Aspas has a lot of ability but standing out for a pretty average Celta team really is along way from being ready for the EPL.
      Bier
      Reply #11: May 24, 2013 11:11:20 am
      You and me both mate.

You're surprised some people here know a striker from a club in one of the biggest leagues in the world? You can't make it up can you, people on a football forum that watch alot of football.

Personally I only paid some extra attention to him this season because I knew he scored a ton of goals in the 2nd division last season, but I've only seen him in a few games.

As one of these saddos, Aspas has a lot of ability but standing out for a pretty average Celta team really is along way from being ready for the EPL.

I agree, it would be a bit of a gamble.
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2013 11:24:40 am by Bier »
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #12: May 24, 2013 12:26:19 pm

The same was said about Michu as well. In fact prior to his best season before signing for Swansea, his goal record was really really poor.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #13: May 24, 2013 04:09:39 pm
       Iago Aspas scouting report: All you need to know about the Liverpool target
      Celta Vigo's Iago Aspas has been linked with a €7million move to Liverpool, but what will the Reds be getting for their cash?

Iago Aspas has been linked with a €7m move to Anfield this summer as Brendan Rodgers looks to strengthen his side and push for a Champions League place next season. But what kind of player is he? Our La Liga expert David Cartlidge reveals all.

Liverpool fans are used to having a player in Luis Suarez that so ferociously divides opinion. They’ve taken to the Uruguayan as one of their own, irrelevant of the opinions Suarez’s detractors hold.

It will make fascinating viewing then, if another contentious character in Iago Aspas turns out for them.

Aspas too, is of that 'love to have him on your team, hate to play against him' mould. He also happens to be a very, very good footballer.

The 25-year-old plays each game like it’s his last, getting in the faces of opponents and going to the ends of the earth for his team. He’s energy, enthusiasm, and endeavour. But he’s also skill and sublime.

He was born in Moana, a town of just 20,000 in Galician. At school he was a terror too, constantly distracted in lessons with only focus on football.

Asked what his favourite moment as a Celta fan was he didn’t mention a goal, or assist, he recalled when Wagner infamously booted Diego Tristan in the air during a Galician derby.

It was in 2010/2011 that he first rose to prominence, scoring 23 goals in 35 games as Celta pushed towards a return to Spain’s top flight.

He played as a lone striker in the Segunda that season, working in tandem with the various support acts he was handed. His coach at the time was a certain ex-Liverpool man in Paco Herrera, part of that glorious Champions League victory steered by Rafa Benitez.

Herrera had to handle Aspas with care, for he was always on the brink of breaking.

That season he played for every single fan that entered the stadium; would chase lost causes, formed the first part of defence from his attacking role, put in tackles and of course, scored goals.

He’s a passionate character too, constantly muttering to himself when moving around the field and when against an opponent engaging in some exchanged words. It motivated him, psyched himself up. It rarely did not produce an end product.

Aspas' transition from Segunda to Primera was seemingly effortless for the player. He managed three goals in his opening seven games, and as it stands has 11 in 32 matches.

There's a common misconception that Aspas is just a tenacious striker, but there's much more to him than that. He’s a creator too, marking down six assists and generally being the centre of everything good his team produces.

Aspas can drop off into midfield and start attacks, move into the channels and take players on with pace – particularly on the right hand side, where he likes to drift in from with a drop of the shoulder. He can also play on the shoulder like a number 9, offering a team verticality in their play.

Daily Mirror

Seems to be a tough fella. Based on posts in the Papadopoulos thread, I guess most people here will see it in a positive light. I can imagine him and Suarez together already. Even better is the fact that language wouldn't be a barrier.

He's a Galician. I love that. Part of my family came from there.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: May 24, 2013 04:17:28 pm
      Brendan seems to be really going for these strong spirited, tough, experienced players, if the rumours end up fact.

Imagine Luis, Papa and Aspas playing for us, the media wouldn't know which one to focus their smear campaign at  ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: May 24, 2013 04:21:43 pm
      Asked what his favourite moment as a Celta fan was he didn’t mention a goal, or assist, he recalled when Wagner infamously booted Diego Tristan in the air during a Galician derby.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That right there tells me exactly what type of character he is :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #16: May 24, 2013 04:34:41 pm
      ^Cheers for posting that Diego. I can't say I've ever watched Aspas play, unfortunately.

I do love that his name is Iago though! Like the character in Othello: "Reputation is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit and lost without deserving. "

Brendan seems to be really going for these strong spirited, tough, experienced players, if the rumours end up fact.

Imagine Luis, Papa and Aspas playing for us, the media wouldn't know which one to focus their smear campaign at  ;D

What a brilliant tactic by Brendan. Alleviates the onslaught of bad press by spreading the wealth! ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #17: May 24, 2013 05:48:09 pm
      Never seen this guy play but I do like the sound of him.

We need more aggressive characters in the team.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #18: May 24, 2013 06:22:50 pm
      His face annoys me

that is all
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #19: May 24, 2013 06:43:20 pm

Will need a picture of you before I can properly respond to this. ;D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #20: May 24, 2013 07:25:39 pm
      I prefer to focus on a player being potentially brilliant rather than a possible liability.
      Don't understand all the 'he's a nutter and we should sign him'.
      If that's your requirement then it's time for Andy Goram to dust of his gloves and come out of retirement because he was genuinely crazy!
      'There's only 2 Andy Gorams!' was one of my fav chants of all time.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #21: May 25, 2013 12:07:00 am

Will need a picture of you before I can properly respond to this. ;D

I am starting to note a trend here in the gaffers potential selections

real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #22: May 25, 2013 04:58:14 am
      Sorry, I don't know who is this player, Iago Aspas. Just to say, better than Fabio Borini?

Quick Reply