Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306143 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #1035: Jan 19, 2015 05:56:20 pm
      Migs is 1.93m (6ft4in), I didn't know that, thought he was shorter!!! :O
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1036: Jan 19, 2015 07:26:49 pm
      Migs is 1.93m (6ft4in), I didn't know that, thought he was shorter!!! :O

he's quite a big lad, makes it all the more embarrassing that he has smaller bollocks than my grandmother when he comes out for crosses.

or that cringe-worthy foot first attempt at the ball when Madrid came to Anfield.  Even Souness said after the game "he's just scared."

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1037: Jan 20, 2015 10:27:17 am
      Joking aside -  let's re-write how we measure how good a 'keeper really is - but when we do... let's stick to it.
      I couldn't reply in more depth yesterday Diego - I was in a rush to get to work.

First things first "Why should we?" - sorry that's my fault; I should have been a bit clearer. It doesn't matter what the 'rules' are or how flawed they may be, if everyone is using the same set of rules for the duration of the 'game' and they are applied in a consistent manner.

What I meant was: when an individual has decided on a formula they stick to it without flip-flopping between different sets of rules just because one suits their argument better than an other [not that you were tbh]. If one wants to go with shots stopped or variations thereof then lets measure everyone by that and that alone... Until a more accurate method can be used, of course.

Maybe I can illustrate this better by way of example [they are only that, examples, by the way]:

#1: If, for example, I had previously dismissed the clean sheets formula [when used to illustrate that Pepe wasn't in decline] - I can't now use that same criteria to show how well Simon is performing. To do so would be hypocritical.

#2: If, for example, I had previously dismissed the clean sheets formula [when used to illustrate that Agger was a vital element of our defence] - I can't now use the same criteria to show that Mama is now every bit as vital. To do so would be hypocritical.

#3: If, for example, I was signing the praises Mama and using say his, pass accuracy %, aerial prowess, blocked shots, interceptions or clearances to support my argument - I can't then dismiss those stats when it comes to Martin just because they don't suit. And...

#4: If I readily and happily accepted the very valid point that correlation does not [necessarily] imply causation - I can't then, in the next breath [or post  ;D] ignore that rule by saying, for example, that we owe all our success to Brendan or FSG. Again that would be somewhat hypocritical.

What I'm saying is; I genuinely don't care which rule anyone applies as long as they stick with just one, they use it consistently and across the board.

Which brings me on to this...

No, quite the opposite, I want very objective measurements, that's why I research stuff like this:

http://11tegen11.net/2014/02/03/never-judge-a-goal-keeper-by-his-saves/
      http://statsbomb.com/2014/10/goalkeepers-how-repeatable-are-shot-saving-performances/

Which are just two examples of people trying to come out with something meaningful in terms of judging goalkeepers, for instance, and the difficulties in doing that.

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I'm just thick but what I'm reading there is people trying to come up with a formula which isn't quite ready yet. That said: it's very interesting and when their data base becomes available' I'll certainly use it.

Until then... in the absence of an agreed measurement... I guess we will all just have to scramble about, arguing the toss without objective measurement, or use what 'flawed' stats we already have.

Ah well...  :-\
      « Last Edit: Jan 20, 2015 10:38:44 am by bad boy bubby »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1038: Jan 20, 2015 10:58:20 am
      he's quite a big lad, makes it all the more embarrassing that he has smaller bollocks than my grandmother when he comes out for crosses.

or that cringe-worthy foot first attempt at the ball when Madrid came to Anfield.  Even Souness said after the game "he's just scared."

In fairness compared to Souey - Attila the Hun was an inveterate p#ssy!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1039: Jan 26, 2015 11:03:23 am
      hes starting to improve his confidence after keeping some clean sheets, just think he needs to work on collecting the ball quicker and distribution. he should be putting in the extra training for that part of his game or we need a new GK coach. hay for all i know he probably is putting in extra sessions
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #1040: Jan 27, 2015 10:29:13 pm
      Fantastic performance from Simon tonight, he deserved a clean sheet. He's even starting to get more vocal telling hos defenders to push out etc.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1041: Jan 27, 2015 10:30:11 pm
      More of the same please Simon, hopefully this performance will be a boost to confidence. Well played mate
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1042: Jan 27, 2015 10:33:35 pm
      Mignolet was fantastic today and came up big in the first leg when we needed him to as well.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #1043: Jan 27, 2015 10:35:47 pm
      Great game Simon!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1044: Jan 27, 2015 10:36:48 pm
      Echo all the sentiments in here so far. Great performance, and I hope he keeps it up.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1045: Jan 27, 2015 10:36:49 pm
      If not for Lucas, my MOTM. No dallying about on the ball, loud and clear when claiming it and made some good saves.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1046: Jan 27, 2015 10:40:00 pm
      Keep it up Simon might save us £10-15M we can put towards a striker.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1047: Jan 27, 2015 10:43:03 pm
      Keep it up Simon!!!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1048: Jan 27, 2015 10:54:38 pm
      Superb performance tonight, his best. In a red shirt I would say. Not just the saves. Hit also some good decisions, solid claims/punches. Seems to have found his confidence which is massive for the 2nd half of the season.
      Scottish Red Stu
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      • Make Us Dream
      Reply #1049: Jan 27, 2015 10:57:46 pm
      Brilliant tonight proves he is our No1. Just a pitty we couldn't get the win tonight.
      Ynwa
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1050: Jan 27, 2015 11:13:02 pm
      Mignolet was fantastic today and came up big in the first leg when we needed him to as well.

Did he? Chelsea only had 1 shot on target at Anfield and that was the goal
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1051: Jan 27, 2015 11:20:25 pm
      Did ok. Nothing special.. Just what you expect from a keeper if you ask me.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1052: Jan 27, 2015 11:27:23 pm
      One half decent performance doesn't make up for over a year of being crap. Still no where near good enough.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1053: Jan 28, 2015 07:55:07 am
      Outstanding last night imo - one of those nights that so many opposing 'keepers seem to have at Anfield.

Well in Simon. :nod:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1054: Jan 28, 2015 08:01:17 am
      Well done Simon, keep it up. He did not only save convectional saves but also special ones: the deflective save by his foot and the tackle on Costa!
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #1055: Jan 28, 2015 09:57:04 am
      Apart from kicking Simon was oustanding, well done.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1056: Jan 28, 2015 12:32:16 pm
      Glad for him he had a world class game, its best for all of us that he plays well and we need to get off his back as he can probably feel and here the rumblings in the ground. BUT and its a big one he needs to stay behind come in early and practice collection and distribution as its still a massive weak point which will cost us games. he needs to brave like he was last night but for every game not just the big ones,and he needs to start commanding his box.

i think he will come good as that game will settle his nerves.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1057: Jan 28, 2015 02:47:00 pm
      Did he? Chelsea only had 1 shot on target at Anfield and that was the goal

Yeah, he came off his line to pinch the ball away from Costa outside the box. And I remember him coming out to collect some crosses too. Much more than his norm, at least.

Quick Reply