Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Preston 0-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match

Read 20584 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Preston 0-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match
      Jul 02, 2013 02:52:22 pm
        VS 

With the players reporting back to Melwood yesterday and preparations for the new season officially underway, I thought it would be nice to put up the thread for our first preseason game.  In less than 2 weeks we will line up against the boys from Preston North End.  As is typical with most preseason friendlies, we will likely see very little from the first team regulars like Gerrard, Agger, Johnson, etc.  However, it is still always exciting to see the lads back in action and it will be fun to see some of the new boys and younger lads get some first team minutes.  We may be able to get a look at how Kelly is coming back after his injury, how Luis Alberto will fit into the squad, how Sterling has kicked on from last season, and how BR intends to use Iago Aspas (striker, withdrawn CF, or winger). 

Admittedly, you can't really read too much into what goes on in a preseason friendly as they are primarily used for regaining full match fitness.  However, with no LFC footie for the last 7 weeks I am itching to see our Reds back in action!!  Also, with all of the excitement that comes with doing some good early business in the summer transfer window, I'm sure we are all that much more excited and optimistic about the season to come!! 

A few things I'll be looking for in preseason are:

1.  Does Sterling seem to be continuing to progress and mature as a player? 
      2.  Has Kelly sufficiently recovered from his injury problems, and will he be able to be counted on to remain fit for a whole season?
      3.  Will we be able to rely on Jack Robinson as the understudy to Enrique at LB, or will we need to continue to use Johno there in Enrique's absence?
      4.  Is Lucas any closer to recapturing his best form after his double injury layoff? 
      5.  Will Simon Mignolet be able to organize the defense, control the box, and push Pepe for the starting spot? 
      6.  Can Kolo Toure get back into top fitness after spending the best part of the last 2 seasons on the bench at City? 

Can't wait for the new season to get underway!!  YNWA

Edit:  Mods - Perhaps I should have just stuck this in the "Preseason" thread.  Feel free to move if you are so inclined :)
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013 09:04:27 pm by JD »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Preston North End - 13 July 2013
      Reply #1: Jul 02, 2013 07:21:52 pm
      I can't wait for this one. I know it wont be fast flowing football but I hope the lads, whoever the first half XI are, keep it together and send us the message that no matter what team we put out and what kind of game it is we can play our football anywhere and produce results! I am over the moon Rodgers has his squad and another season at Liverpool, half a dozen friendlies to warm up this good young squad that has so much potential.

We don't really have any idea who's going to start do we? I can only guess that a fair number of young players will start and everyone will change at half time.

Suarez, Coates, Reina, Suso, Coady and Flanagan should be the only players unable for selection. Suso is still in the u20 world cup whilst the others are hopefully relaxing before returning 'later this month' according to latest news on the offal. Sturridge is still injured.

Gerrard is a couple of weeks away from full training so by the trip to Preston he should be ready for a run. Stevie is only 33 - it's exciting to think he will still be a part of our midfield bossing it like always!

I am going to guess something like this..... let's see how close we can possibly get....

Mignolet half / Jones second

Kelly /Johnson
      Skrtel /Toure
      Wisdom /Agger
      Enrique /Robinson

Lucas /Allen
      Spearing /Henderson (or Gerrard/Hendo if he is fit)
      Shelvey /Coutinho

Sterling /Alberto
      Aspas /Downing
      Borini /Pacheco (Yesil)

Missing young Jonjo and Assaidi but he is always missing. I guess Jonjo could be gone by then. Also lads like Teixeira, Ibe, Roddan, Ngoo, Yesil could get a look in especially an attacker since there is no real second striker there, it would be great to see Yesil off the mark early.

Very excited to have the games kick off again!!! :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #2: Jul 04, 2013 11:19:57 pm
      More than a week build up for this one then. Good seeing the lads training on the offal - just not in that third kit - and getting players like Stevie, Allen & Raheem back up in fitness. Preseason may be about gradually regaining match fitness, but banging in a few goals is always great to see. Reckon we could see two formation in this game in 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1, the players in each formation will depend on who's available.

4-3-3

Mignolet
      Kelly Toure Wisdom Enrique
                  Lucas
             Suso    Teixeira
      Aspas                  Alberto
                   Ngoo

4-2-3-1

Jones
      Johnson Skrtel Agger Robinson
               Henderson Spearing
      Downing    Coutinho    Sterling
                       Borini

As said previously there will be players missing and nursing injuries so there is a chance for the young lads to step up. Really like the look of the first team I wrote out, but I definitely want to see Coutinho playing behind Borini at some point this preseason. Doubt Spearing will be here for much longer, but he is what is available right now as Coady is not with the squad, unfortunately.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 05, 2013 12:21:47 am
       Think Suso will not be here for another 2 to 3 weeks (considering the u20 tournament he's playing at).
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #4: Jul 05, 2013 01:16:28 am
      Think Suso will not be here for another 2 to 3 weeks (considering the u20 tournament he's playing at).
      Ah yeah, forgot that tournament is still going. Shame that.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5: Jul 05, 2013 10:44:39 am
      Live on ESPN in the uk apparently !
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #6: Jul 05, 2013 01:20:59 pm
      Live on ESPN in the uk apparently !
      According to http://www.live-footballontv.com/ it is. Nice one.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2013 11:21:51 am
      Im so looking forward to it.
      I think all new signings will have a run out.
      Looking especially to mignolet and kolo.
      We are going to have a hell of a season!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Jul 07, 2013 08:53:36 am
      For once I don't want to see many youngsters from the Academy, I want to see the Borini, Aspas, Sterling, L.Alberto, Toure, Hendo, Allen and Gerrard.

I know they won't play together simultaneously but for once I want to see a real pre-season where our players show some good football and have a good momentum when going into the next season.  I don't want to see a match I say to myself, "WTF is going on!?" Remember the pre-season in Asia where we conceded so many goals and where we had so many average players playing for us.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #9: Jul 07, 2013 11:47:25 am
      You'd expect Ibe to play some part of this as he is training with the first team currently. Quite a few players are still away so I'd expect us to use some youth players.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #10: Jul 08, 2013 02:19:09 am
                               Mignolet

Kelly   Toure    Wisdom   Robinson

Lucas    Henderson

Downing     Coutinho    Aspas

Alberto
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #11: Jul 08, 2013 03:44:47 am
                               Mignolet

Kelly   Toure    Wisdom   Robinson

Lucas    Henderson

Downing     Coutinho    Aspas

Alberto

Alberto isn't a striker.

PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #12: Jul 08, 2013 12:50:49 pm
      Cant wait! Not expecting a lot with it being first game back but just exciting to see the reds in action again!
      Has only been the confederations cup this summer so wouldn't expect Coates or Suarez to be playing like.

1st half
                               Mignolet
              Kelly   Skrtel    Toure    Robinson
                       Spearing   Allen
                            Henderson
                 Alberton              Downing
                              Aspas

2nd half
                                 Jones
             Johnson  Wisdom  Sama  Enrique
                                Lucas
                        Suso        Coady
               Sterling    Alberto     Coutinho

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Jul 09, 2013 01:27:49 pm

I read he played as false no.9 at Barca B
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #14: Jul 09, 2013 02:06:58 pm
      I read he played as false no.9 at Barca B
      You're right he can play in that role, I'd like the see that against Preston with Coutinho behind him.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #15: Jul 09, 2013 11:01:50 pm
      Aspas, one player l hope plays on Saturday, think he going to be a class signing, main thing is pre-season games is all about fitness and please god, no knocks or any bad lnjurys.

Looking forward to seeing new players on saturday, live on tv which good.
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2013 11:17:03 pm by MsGerrard »
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #16: Jul 10, 2013 04:55:12 pm
      Not long to go now, surprised there hasn't been loads of formations flying around in here.

I'll have a punt at the team even though it will no doubt be proven wrong immediately.

Mignolet, Robinson Toure Wisdom Kelly, Coady Allen Suso, Ngoo Aspas Sterling.

Probably miles off.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #17: Jul 11, 2013 02:08:44 pm
      New signings will be in action.

Rodgers reveals new boys' debut plan
      Liverpool supporters can catch a first glimpse of the club's four summer signings when the Reds travel to Preston North End this Saturday, manager Brendan Rodgers has confirmed.

The friendly, which will be available live online for LFC TV Online subscribers along with five more matches this summer, kicks off pre-season for Rodgers and his charges.

Having completed four transfers during the close season - Luis Alberto, Iago Aspas, Simon Mignolet and Kolo Toure - the boss intends to give the quartet some playing time this weekend.

"There's every chance. All of the players are working here," the 40-year-old told Liverpoolfc.com after a training session at Melwood on Thursday.

"If they are all well and fit then they will travel for the game on Saturday. Simon Mignolet will play, of course; Aspas, Luis Alberto and Kolo Toure - they will all get a run-out."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/139188-rodgers-reveals-new-boys-debut-plan
      MsGerrard
      Reply #18: Jul 11, 2013 10:35:40 pm
      Really looking forward to 3pm on Saturday afternoon, can't believe the footy is back - YAY !!!

Obviously looking forward to seeing the new boys in action as well as a few familar faces.

Will be looking how the lads perform as we start our pre-season 2013-14 season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #19: Jul 13, 2013 10:37:20 am
      Be good if a couple of the new Spaniards grabbed a goal - but main thing is probably no injuries.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #20: Jul 13, 2013 11:54:39 am
      Footy's back!!! :D

Looking forward to seeing all the new arrivals and to see which players have been working hard over the summer.

Singing songs three hours before kick-off and it's only pre-season.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #21: Jul 13, 2013 12:01:45 pm
      I know it might be way off the mark bu let me also select a tarting XI

Mignolet
      Kelly  Wisdom  Toure    Robinson
                Hendo    Lucas
      Sterling     Alberto     Coutinho
                       Aspas
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #22: Jul 13, 2013 01:46:49 pm
      LFC team to face Preston: Mignolet, Agger, Toure, Flanagan, Henderson, Spearing, Allen, Assaidi, Borini, Ibe, Coutinho.

Ward, Johnson, Skrtel, Wisdom, Robinson, Lucas, Alberto, Pacheco, Aspas, Sterling, Downing, Kelly.

Hendo at right back, Flanagan on the left.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013 02:01:24 pm by xSkyline »

Quick Reply