Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

31 and counting

Read 9902 times
      RedLFCBlood
      31 and counting
      Aug 10, 2013 09:35:56 pm
      With the new season starting against Stoke just next week we have 38 games to go to measure the success or failure in what will be Brendan Rodgers second season as manager.

On the whole the squad looks a little stronger this year than it did last, what I  mean by that is we won't be going into the season relying on youngsters like Sterling and Suso to deliver week after week.

Rodgers stated at the start of the window he was looking to bring more goals into the squad and in a way he may achieved that given Aspas's pre-season form, the only draw back is Suaez's situation and the games he'll miss due to his ban.

We certainly struggled last season more so in the first half of the season than we did the second half following the arrivals of Coutinho & Sturridge and it wasn't only the top 4 teams we struggled against, heavy defeats from West Brom and a very average Villa side instantly spring to mind.

Going back to the teams outside of the top4 where we struggled, this for me is an important area where Rodgers has tried to address by trying to bring more goals into the side and a little bit more strength in depth in terms of making changes.

There's 114 points to play for in a premier league season over 38 games, so we can afford to lose to the top 5 teams both home and away and it will only cost us 30 points, that's 84 points still available and on average a little over 70 can claim 4th place, so that leaves room for the odd loss and draw.

So whilst I think we may still be a player or two short of securing top 4 football, a couple of shrewd signings could give us the depth we need to mount a serious challenge whilst the likes of City, Chelsea and United are bedding in their new managers, its the best chance we've had in the last few years, we have to take it, we've seen the effects of missing out on the champions league and the longer that continues the longer it will go on.

38 and Counting, over to you Rodgers.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013 09:26:20 pm by MsGerrard »
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Re: 38 and Counting.
      Reply #1: Aug 10, 2013 09:38:06 pm
      It's 114 points mate
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Aug 10, 2013 09:40:04 pm

oops you're correct, bad maths. :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,166 posts | 3388 
      Reply #3: Aug 27, 2013 12:24:20 am
      6 points from 6.

Doing a F***ing good job so far, probably why this thread hasn't been bumped up. If we'd lost our opening two, you can guarantee it would of been by now.
      fitzystyle
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 27, 2013 12:53:29 am
      lets just hope that that we can carry on winning tomorrow and the weekend
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #5: Aug 29, 2013 04:07:10 pm
      75 points got 3rd last season, that's what we should be aiming for.

So 6 points down, 69 points up for grabs out of 108 available.

Easy  ;D
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #6: Aug 29, 2013 05:58:25 pm

So 6 points down, 69 points up for grabs out of 108 available.

Easy  ;D
      With the old 'easier said than done' cliche looping around in the back of my mind as I think about this - that's only 23 wins away and we have 26 fixtures left against what should be lesser competition.

Definitely easy  >:D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Aug 29, 2013 06:09:03 pm
      36 to go , pleasing so far, some football has been excellent some been nail biting stuff, but maximum points return, can't ask for any more than that.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Aug 30, 2013 01:49:26 am
      How do you change the thread title after the next game or are we going to have 37 more threads?
      Just asking like .
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #9: Sep 01, 2013 10:55:50 pm
      35 and counting ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Sep 02, 2013 10:06:13 am
      Think a Mod should change it after every game.

Fantastic start for Rodgers and the players though, 3 games, 3, 3 Clean sheets, 3 goals, 3 wins and 9 points, %100 record.

35 and counting keep it up reds !!!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: 35 and counting
      Reply #11: Sep 02, 2013 11:45:40 am
      9 out of 9.

Mignolet - 3 games and 3 clean sheets.

Sturridge - 3 games and 3 goals.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #12: Sep 06, 2013 11:11:13 am
      Hope we can put Swansea back in their box doing my head in listening to their fans mouth off about we've got there sloppy 2nds and that there in Europe and we are not, we need to send a message out by being consistant and beating the lesser teams, not just uping our game for the top 4 teams.

if we beat swansea and win our next two homes games i will inside be thinking 4th spot may just be a reality. Then drop Suarez on the Prem and BOOM!!!!!!!!!

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #13: Sep 06, 2013 11:12:38 am
      Hope we can put Swansea back in their box doing my head in listening to their fans mouth off about we've got there sloppy 2nds and that there in Europe and we are not, we need to send a message out by being consistant and beating the lesser teams, not just uping our game for the top 4 teams.

if we beat swansea and win our next two homes games i will inside be thinking 4th spot may just be a reality. Then drop Suarez on the Prem and BOOM!!!!!!!!!

Far more nervous about the Swans game, than I was for the Mancs. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Sep 06, 2013 11:17:25 am
      Luis the Boom ?

Got a ring to it ..
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #15: Sep 06, 2013 11:35:22 am
      2012/13

Liverpool 0 - 0 Stoke City
      Aston Villa 1 - 2 Liverpool
      Liverpool 1 - 2 Manchester United

P3 - W1 - D1 - L1 - GF3 - GA3 - PTS4

2013/14

Liverpool 1 - 0 Stoke City
      Aston Villa 0 - 1 Liverpool
      Liverpool 1 - 0 Manchester United

P3 - W3 - D0 - L0 - GF3 - GA0 - PTS9
      Rafa_B
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #16: Sep 06, 2013 11:36:56 am
      It's been an excellent start, long may it continue.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Sep 06, 2013 01:38:22 pm

Means nothing for this new season. When we finished 2nd a few years back that was enough points to have won the league in any other season.

I'd happily take another 35 1-0 league wins.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #18: Sep 06, 2013 01:46:44 pm
      Means nothing for this new season. When we finished 2nd a few years back that was enough points to have won the league in any other season.

I'd happily take another 35 1-0 league wins.

theoretically we would all take 35 more 1-0 wins... but the question is would our heart / blood pressure hold out?  :)
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #19: Sep 06, 2013 01:55:12 pm
      When have Liverpool ever won anythign the easy way.  They take you to the limit and that why we are loved all over the world.

i would rather a nail bitting 4-3 win than a 6-nil win.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Sep 06, 2013 02:00:30 pm
      theoretically we would all take 35 more 1-0 wins... but the question is would our heart / blood pressure hold out?  :)

I think the reward at the end of it would make the countless heart attacks worth while. However, it's going to be a damn long season if that's the case so lets just start smashing people 5-0 instead ;)
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Sep 08, 2013 02:39:26 pm
      I don't think we are getting carried away by our start to the season, but I do think we need to keep in mind where we expected to finish, and the reasons why we expected to finish in that position, just incase things do go pear shape.

But in the meantime woo hoo!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,986 posts | 5045 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #22: Sep 08, 2013 03:07:03 pm
      As much as we're all buoyed up over our amazing start I think the most sensible among us know that we still face a bit of a rocky ride, I'm certainly under no illusions that we will go thru the entire season unscathed,

Every side has a downturn at some point in any campaign it's how you deal with the drop in form that matters, for the last few seasons we haven't coped at all as our final league position would demonstrate, but, this time it's different , I think I speak for the majority when I say that the feeling we all have this time is that we ARE better equipped to handle a slump and that the quality and experience we now have will prove it,

We are at the moment in a fantastic position but we are yet to fire on all cylinders, we have yet to field our best X1 and we are not playing to our full potential,

So as you can tell it is no wonder we're all walking around with a semi, and whatever the female equivalent is,(not going there)

I think it's fair to assume that a corner has been turned and that long road to success doesn't seem so far away, in fact the light at the end of that tunnell suddenly seems brighter, don't you think  ?

YNWA

Quick Reply