Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 205063 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #621: Sep 07, 2014 02:21:00 pm
      Stopped watching after 50 seconds of that video clint.

First aerial dual he loses out to Costa I think it is at 50 seconds brings the ball down to his chest runs into empty space with no one in front of him plays a ball that trickles out to the touchline. Very similar to what he has shown in pre season and against the Spurs, composure on ball with the slightest pressure applied is non existent.

Not sold on this lad as of yet has the physicallity to be right up there but has not set my world alite with his decision making and distribution, the positive is that he is a young lad with time to learn and develop.

Ah mate it was like the one bad thing he did in that video.

He made a couple great interceptions was tough on Costa and kept the ball well for France when under pressure.

Seemed like he had a brilliant game.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #622: Sep 07, 2014 09:41:03 pm
      He just looks gangly and awkward on the ball but his pass accuracy is actually quite high....

Edit: just looked at sqwarka and his pass accuracy last year was 92% which is massive! Henderson was 85% Gerrard was below 90% Skrtle was 90%....so regardless if he looks like an idiot his passes go where he wants more than 9 times out of 10.
      « Last Edit: Sep 08, 2014 10:23:41 am by Munch101 »
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #623: Sep 15, 2014 09:15:27 am
      his pass accuracy last year was 92% which is massive!

great, his passes go where he wants them to.

too bad he couldn't handle a simple hoof ball without having it bounce off of him ten times before going out for the corner that Villa ended up scoring on.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #624: Sep 15, 2014 09:56:12 am
      great, his passes go where he wants them to.

too bad he couldn't handle a simple hoof ball without having it bounce off of him ten times before going out for the corner that Villa ended up scoring on.

He did deal with it he made sure it went out for a corner, if you watch the match again it was Lovren who then decided to do a Skrtel and screwed up.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #625: Sep 15, 2014 02:11:47 pm
      He was the better of the two CB's on Sat'day.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #626: Sep 15, 2014 02:25:22 pm
      He was the better of the two CB's on Sat'day.

Don't think individually he was the issue on Saturday but the defence as a whole (and centrally in particular) has not convinced thus far this season - perhaps unsurprisingly given personnel changes.

I thought we were weak there even against Spurs.

Hasn't convinced me yet in red this lad - but he has time.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #627: Sep 15, 2014 02:33:24 pm
      Don't think individually he was the issue on Saturday but the defence as a whole (and centrally in particular) has not convinced thus far this season - perhaps unsurprisingly given personnel changes.

I thought Sahko looked better than Dejan tbh (that's what I was trying to say).

Yeah, I also thought we were a bit shaky against Spurs. I do worry about Dejan's anticipation (making a challenge too early) and I think IIRC he lost his marker for the corner against Villa - along with a couple of other glitches. I hope he doesn't go full Kolo on us, at the moment I'm a little worried with him, while Sahko to me looks currently more convincing.

I'm now pretty much convinced we don't need a "marquee" CB (even though we may already have a couple  :confused-smiley-013:) we need a  marquee defensive coach.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #628: Sep 15, 2014 03:47:18 pm
      I think a settled CB pairing is what we need so any of sakho/Lovren/Skrtel is fine by me but they need time playing together to understand each other rather than the constant chopping and changing.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #629: Sep 15, 2014 03:51:40 pm

It doesn't help that Lovren keeps wanting to step into Sakho's zone.
      As they play more together, they'll get better as a pair, and that goes for the whole back line as well.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #630: Sep 15, 2014 03:54:20 pm
      I'm now pretty much convinced we don't need a "marquee" CB (even though we may already have a couple  ) we need a  marquee defensive coach.

I agree mate, I think we have the most expensive pair of CB'S in the prem at around £40million (mancs possibly ?), probably one of the most expensive back 4's in the prem (if you include Johnson) it would be nice if they had some sort of understanding of how to defend as a unit. 

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2014 04:08:13 pm by s@int »
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #631: Sep 16, 2014 05:47:21 am
      He did deal with it he made sure it went out for a corner

Did you actually watch the game?  be honest, did you?  because Sakho only made it go out for a corner because he LOST THE BALL to begin with.  Here, take a look at these stills that show what happened:

The ball is hoofed up to Agbonlahor.  Sakho gets to it first and is a full two steps in front of Agbonlahor, with the ball at his feet.  He's even facing Mignolet!  all he has to do is tap it back to him.  Simple.

But he doesn't.  He can't control a simple pass on the ground to Mignolet, instead the ball bounces up off of his chest, knee, and shin, and Agbonlahor is right back in for it:

Then, Mamadou "Beast" Sakho gets pushed off of the ball by that world-beater Agbonlahor, loses it to him, and then has to make a last ditch effort to make sure Agbonlahor doesn't get the cross in.

You think that's good defending?  really?  are you saying we shouldn't expect a Liverpool CB to be able to pass the ball back to his keeper when A) he is facing him and B) the attacking player is almost a full yard away?  the most we can expect is for the defender to miscontrol the ball, lose it, and then awkwardly concede a corner?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #632: Sep 16, 2014 07:38:59 am
      Stop being selective why didn't you show that just before the Villa attack it was Sakho who had played a pin point pass to Coutinho to create a 4 v 4 unfortunately Coutinho couldn't control the ball so initiated the Villa attack, so by your argument it's Coutinho's fault the goal happened?

Sakho is not the first player to mis control a ball FFS Skrtel has made a career from it.

Bottom line we should have dealt with the corner better than we did.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #633: Sep 16, 2014 05:15:40 pm
      People blaming the loss on Sakho are idiots that have already made the choice about him and won't change their opinion. He was so accurate with his passes and didn't do a lot wrong defensively!
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #634: Sep 16, 2014 06:50:41 pm
      Sahko has looked good for France but very nervous for Liverpool. He needs more composure and he'll blossom.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #635: Sep 16, 2014 07:31:25 pm
      Sahko has looked good for France but very nervous for Liverpool. He needs more composure and he'll blossom.

He looks like a deer learning to walk when he has the ball but more often than not he is very accurate with his passing.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #636: Sep 16, 2014 11:38:45 pm
      I'm not convinced by Sakho. Often caught out of position and is sometimes clumsy when in possession of the ball. Would consider Skrtel and Lovren again.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #637: Sep 16, 2014 11:49:03 pm
      I'm not convinced by Sakho. Often caught out of position and is sometimes clumsy when in possession of the ball. Would consider Skrtel and Lovren again.

Stop talking sh*te he was clearly the better CB today as he was on Saturday.
      Your one of those who has his preconceived ideas of Sakho oh he's clumsily looks awkward so even when his partner is committing errors leading to goals you can't see beyond that.
       97 % pass completion today and seemed like he was the main outet from defence today even bypassing Stevie.
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #638: Sep 19, 2014 08:26:40 pm
      A bit clumsy, like most of our CB's tbf, but he's still getting used to the Prem. I have high hopes for him.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #639: Sep 20, 2014 07:45:30 pm
      I think his confidence has taken a dip now that Rodgers clearly prefers Lovren ahead of him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #640: Sep 20, 2014 07:46:48 pm
      I think his confidence has taken a dip now that Rodgers clearly prefers Lovren ahead of him.

More Skrtel than Lovren I think mate seeing as he made way for Skrtel.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #641: Sep 21, 2014 01:12:13 am
      More Skrtel than Lovren I think mate seeing as he made way for Skrtel.

Which would be even worse for any player!

Joking aside the whole defence has been a shambles it just seems Brendan thinks we can win by out scoring the opposition again. Alas the beast is no longer here!
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #642: Sep 21, 2014 01:15:04 am
      I think the realisation that the defending isn't just the centre backs is hitting home to me and a lot of other supporters.

We have structural issues defensively and that won't change by throwing money at a new defender.

We need changes in the way we defend as a team, whether that's from the midfield or centre backs. It's happening too often to be individual.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #643: Sep 21, 2014 07:10:59 am
      I think the realisation that the defending isn't just the centre backs is hitting home to me and a lot of other supporters.

if it's only just now "hitting home" for you then you must have had your head in the sand for quite some time.  It's been pretty obvious since last season. We had a solid defence under Kenny and Clarke.  Did it make sense that suddenly Agger and Skrtel would go from solid defenders to being awful the day Rodgers came on board?  does it make sense that Johnson would also become rubbish all of a sudden?  does it make sense that we brought in Sakho, a highly rated French defender, and he looked like a deer in the headlights all last season?  does it make sense that Lovren, who was one of the best defenders in the league last season, was wanted by Barca this summer etc, would suddenly look poor?

Of course not.

Either the stars aligned and it just so happened that all those players became awful at the same time, or.... they're simply not being coached properly.

Add that to the fact that far from shying away from that reality, Rodgers himself has said the defence "can't be coached," and I think you've got your answer right there.  The defence simply isn't being coached.  You can throw all the money you want at the back four but if they're not being coached then it really doesn't matter how much you spend, does it.

I say put the money on the table and bring back Steve Clarke.

Quick Reply