Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 150965 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: Time to drop Steven Gerrard?
      Reply #1518: Nov 24, 2014 10:21:54 pm
      Unfortunately we forget Brendan is a young manager and this is his first go at a big club where expectations are high. He talks in management meta-analysis; the legacy of that pseudo degree the MBA. We hear about the group and its various stages of personal development etc...

Stevie has failed in the QB role. The defence drops deeper and deeper and the midfield collapses on it. There are no leaders. Sturridge and Suarez can't bail us out. FSG won't spend the money to bail us out (which is all Chelsea and their peers do). It is not all BR's fault. Only what he can influence is his problem and even that can be affected by other areas like transfer restrictions.

If I was trying not to lose matches I would be starting the likes of Lucas, Can, Toure, Lambert, Lallana, Moreno, Manquillo as I believe they will be defensively better 1 on 1 and they will fight. We need to arrest the decline.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #1519: Nov 24, 2014 10:27:52 pm
      So the problem is their is nobody on his wavelength up top?

you win the star prize at last somebody else gets it.
      He looks up last season and sees both Daniel and Luis making great runs into space and now he looks up and sees Mario staring into space its a big difference and I feel the lads pain
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #1520: Nov 24, 2014 10:32:14 pm
      So the problem is their is nobody on his wavelength up top?

There's F**k all up top:-(
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1521: Nov 24, 2014 10:32:41 pm
      you win the star prize at last somebody else gets it.
      He looks up last season and sees both Daniel and Luis making great runs into space and now he looks up and sees Mario staring into space its a big difference and I feel the lads pain

If only............now he looks up and he has a player on him but doesn't have the mobility to escape his shackles.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1522: Nov 24, 2014 10:35:33 pm
      If only............now he looks up and he has a player on him but doesn't have the mobility to escape his shackles.

he has got nothing to hit of course he spends more time on the ball and gets caught out because there is no movement up front,
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #1523: Nov 24, 2014 10:39:02 pm
      he has got nothing to hit of course he spends more time on the ball and gets caught out because there is no movement up front,
      Exactly nothing,zilch,zero a big fat F**k all ,after last season and this shambles of a start no wonder he looks fu**ed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1524: Nov 24, 2014 10:43:06 pm

Your right but of course we don't always need the Hollywood ball. Whatever happened to playing short balls creating triangles on the pitch to take out and test beyond the opposition.
      I suppose That sort of football has never been Stevies forte.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #1525: Nov 24, 2014 11:04:37 pm
      Surely Stevie up top with say sterling would cause more havoc than balotelli and borrini/lambert F**k it why not.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1526: Nov 24, 2014 11:06:43 pm
      It is certainly time we tried Gerrard in a different position further forward, if that doesn't work then yes it may be time to rest him.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #1527: Nov 24, 2014 11:26:26 pm
      Much further forward not using his shooting ability when our "strikers" couldn't hit that fat bints arse out of I'm a celebrity with a F***ing banjo is criminal.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1528: Nov 25, 2014 12:34:40 am
      Disappointed that the OP wasn't an open love letter to Alex.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #1529: Nov 25, 2014 12:46:15 am
      Yes he should be dropped.

And the idea of having Stevie as manager is laughable in this day and age.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1530: Nov 25, 2014 12:46:38 am
      Amazing how Gerrard is always the one being singled out. You could justify a thread like this, individually for each player but Gerrard again becomes the foci.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1531: Nov 25, 2014 07:16:35 am
      Rafa would never play Stevie in a holding two let alone on his own. Think his quote was something along the lines that he "empties the midfield".

He's having a lot of stick for his form but Carra is spot on. With not much happening in front of him is options become less so there is no way he is going to have the impact he had in the last half of last season.

For me, Brendan needs to move him further forward and play two of Lucas, Can or Allen holding. I'm pretty sure Stevie's form would improve further forward and it would certainly help shore up our woeful defence. After all, he is still one of the most creative players we have.

Would give us something to build on because there is no way we are going to be blasting teams away like we did last season without both Suarez and Sturridge. So yes Stevie's form is poor but I believe Rodgers can do something to address it by switching things around.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #1532: Nov 25, 2014 08:10:16 am
      for me this thread is (sorry) ridiculous
       Do we think that by dropping Gerrard we have solved the problem, Is Gerrard the ONLY one who is playing Bad, so why don't we drop all the squad?
          And why not play Gerrard in his PROPER role ,even for less minutes if he does not cope with it (which I doubt) for me playing gerrard as defensive midfielder (sometimes even in line with the CD duo) is damaging  stevie himself and the team
         So (for me) NO don't drop gerrard, just play him were he played nearly All his career, apart from a Rafa spell were he played on the right, which he did well

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014 08:24:58 am by carragerrard »
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #1533: Nov 25, 2014 08:34:09 am
      No, like some have said change the way we play him, still one of the best AM's in the world...maybe not as explosive as he was, but he's still got it...we saw it in the second half of a home game earlier this year.

Play...
                                     Mignolet (though don't feel save with him in goal)

Manquillo         Toure            Sakho           Enrique

Henderson          Lucas

Sterling                     Gerrard                    Lallana

Sturridge

And we will create so many chances, we cannot fail to score like we have done before, I think Mario would start scoring too!

Hendo alongside Lucas will make up for his lack of mobility and Lucas is specifically a defensive player, Gerrard is an attacking player playing in a defensive role. A few years ago he could have done it, but not now. Toure isn't ideal as he's a bit older, but I genuinely feel safer with him than the awful combination of Dejan and Martin. Toure was our best player against RM!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1534: Nov 25, 2014 08:46:24 am
      No, like some have said change the way we play him, still one of the best AM's in the world...maybe not as explosive as he was, but he's still got it...we saw it in the second half of a home game earlier this year.

Play...
                                     Mignolet (though don't feel save with him in goal)

Manquillo         Toure            Sakho           Enrique

Henderson          Lucas

Sterling                     Gerrard                    Lallana

Sturridge

And we will create so many chances, we cannot fail to score like we have done before, I think Mario would start scoring too!

Hendo alongside Lucas will make up for his lack of mobility and Lucas is specifically a defensive player, Gerrard is an attacking player playing in a defensive role. A few years ago he could have done it, but not now. Toure isn't ideal as he's a bit older, but I genuinely feel safer with him than the awful combination of Dejan and Martin. Toure was our best player against RM!

Sturridge!! You been on Mars?

And Sakho is not yet back from injury

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1535: Nov 25, 2014 08:54:56 am
      for me this thread is (sorry) ridiculous
       Do we think that by dropping Gerrard we have solved the problem, Is Gerrard the ONLY one who is playing Bad, so why don't we drop all the squad?
          And why not play Gerrard in his PROPER role ,even for less minutes if he does not cope with it (which I doubt) for me playing gerrard as defensive midfielder (sometimes even in line with the CD duo) is damaging  stevie himself and the team
         So (for me) NO don't drop gerrard, just play him were he played nearly All his career, apart from a Rafa spell were he played on the right, which he did well

YNWA

This.
      The thread screams desperation.

edit: Just checked out who kicked it off and everything makes sense.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1536: Nov 25, 2014 09:25:35 am
      This.
      The thread screams desperation.

edit: Just checked out who kicked it off and everything makes sense.

You cannot resist making your snide remarks, can you?

As valid a question as any other, sunshine.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1537: Nov 25, 2014 09:55:44 am
      You cannot resist making your snide remarks, can you?

As valid a question as any other, sunshine.

It is an automatic response to your negativity and something fully expected from you when LFC hit a rough patch.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1538: Nov 25, 2014 12:23:56 pm
        GFFNPressConferences   @GFFNPressConf 
      Follow
      Djibril Cissé on Gerrard: "In Champions League at half-time he asked Benitez to leave the dressing room so he could talk to the players."

7:46 PM - 23 Nov 2014

83 Retweets   35 favorites 

GFFNPressConferences   @GFFNPressConf 
      Follow
      Djibril Cissé on Gerrard: "He said "boss can you please leaving the dressing room so I can talk to my team" and he did it."

7:46 PM - 23 Nov 2014

62 Retweets   34 favorites

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #1539: Nov 25, 2014 12:48:30 pm
      The captain looks broken this year. He really hasn't had the fire from the beginning of the season that he had all of last year.

I think losing out on the title and then the subsuquent poor showing at the World Cup really just knocked him down.

Where's STEVE PETERS??
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #1540: Nov 25, 2014 01:01:04 pm
      The captain looks broken this year. He really hasn't had the fire from the beginning of the season that he had all of last year.

I think losing out on the title and then the subsuquent poor showing at the World Cup really just knocked him down.

Where's STEVE PETERS??

Only worked one day a week and is also working with Chelsea this season.

Quick Reply