Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Ladies

Read 19270 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: LFC Ladies
      Reply #69: Sep 29, 2013 07:41:14 pm
      Made up for them, been following their progress on BBC Sport all season. Well deserved title.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #70: Sep 29, 2013 10:29:55 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24324071

Can't say I follow Woman's football to much but I thought this deserved a thread.

Congrats to the ladies for knocking Arsenal off their thrown.

Apparently the squad was overhauled after massive investment form the owners, so that's where the transfer kitty went then!! :-)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #71: Sep 29, 2013 10:44:45 pm
      First time in a decade a team other than Arsenal have won it,
      and it's the team that finished bottom for the last two seasons.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #72: Sep 30, 2013 01:47:14 am
       Congratulations to our Lady Reds,well done girls,hope our lads are taking note of your achievement. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #73: Sep 30, 2013 02:40:27 am
      well done!
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #74: Sep 30, 2013 02:58:54 am

Sure wouldn't mind playing with her!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #75: Sep 30, 2013 03:09:31 am
      Excellent !
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6692 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #76: Sep 30, 2013 06:36:50 am
      Great stuff lasses. Now let's hope the boys emulate your feats this season.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #77: Sep 30, 2013 07:04:19 am
      Congratulations girls!  :champ:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #78: Sep 30, 2013 07:16:41 am
      Topics merged, & new title added.

Try and check if there is a topic already in existence.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #79: Sep 30, 2013 07:22:36 am
      Well done to them! I am hearing we had major investment in ladies team this season, can we see some of that in the Men's team now seeing how much it benefited the girls.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #80: Oct 10, 2013 11:41:16 pm
      Couldn't believe what I was reading. How refreshing to see teams other than Arsenal Ladies and Doncaster Belles, making the headlines, and for Liverpool Ladies to actually win the league is a terrific achievement.
      Probably get slated for the huge investment but what the hell. How many of the girls who finished bottom of the league, were involved in wining it I wonder. Was it a complete squad overhaul, or just a few additions. Anyone got any ideas ?
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #81: Oct 11, 2013 06:51:28 am
      This is great news, only a couple of years back we were reading LFC Ladies getting beat. But to win this is a humongous step forward for our lasses. Congratulations to LFC Lasses and see you in the Champions League.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #82: May 31, 2014 10:34:29 am
      Couldn't find a current Liverpool Ladies thread. So, if it's all the same, I'll kick it off.

Much kudos and karma to the girl for her grit and determination in wanting to succeed in a profession she clearly loves.

England midfielder Fara Williams: I was homeless for six years
      Sceptics of the old adage "sport changes lives" need look no further than England footballer Fara Williams.

Football took Williams from budding starlet, bursting on to the international scene at just 17 years old in 2001, to seasoned old hand, where she is now just a handful of matches away from being England's most-capped player ever.

She has battled her way to becoming one of the finest midfielders in the world. And she did it while being homeless.

For six years the now 30-year-old balanced living rough and in hostels with impressing on the football pitch. Many of her team-mates were none the wiser.
      Fara Williams facts
      Fara Williams

Club: Liverpool Ladies
          Honours: Women's Super League, FA Cup, two League Cups
          England debut: 24 November 2001 v Portugal
          Caps: 127; Goals: 37

"I just didn't want to tell people," Williams reveals to BBC Sport - the first time she has spoken publically about being homeless. "People have a judgement of who should be homeless and who shouldn't, and I felt people would judge me.

"I put on a brave face and lived my life as a normal person would, as though I was living at home."

The Liverpool Ladies player, who left previous club Everton in 2012, was homeless during much of her early career, celebrating her 18th and 21st birthdays in hostels.

"The cause of most homelessness, which people aren't aware of, is family breakdown - it's not just addictions, that's just what people turn to [as a result of being homeless].

"People are mainly scared of the homeless they see on the streets. They're intimidated by them but they're normal people with problems. We all have problems," she adds.

Williams' experiences led her to work with the Homeless FA,  where she coaches homeless girls and women every week.

It is clear during a training session at Manchester United's Cliff Ground that Williams enjoys her role. A smile rarely leaves her face as she delivers a session on ball control. The homeless players respond to her instructions with gusto, a few even attempting cheeky Cruyff turns to impress her.

"To have the opportunity to help these girls is something that I didn't want to turn down. I wanted to share my story with them and show them that there is a pathway to get out of the situation they're in," Williams explains.

"It's hard because you feel sorry for yourself [when you're homeless]. You feel like no one's there for you. I had football as my motivation, but some of these [people that I coach] don't have any motivation. I try to show them that there are people out there that want to help them, but also they've got to help themselves.

"It's just getting them out of the hostel environment, showing them that there is a different way, letting them have a bit of fun and interacting with different people."

Since 2012 the Homeless FA charity has used football to empower, and change the negative public perception of the issue.

Head of the charity Gareth Parker, who also helped found the organisation, explains: "We prefer to use the term 'people experiencing homelessness' rather than 'homeless people,' so it doesn't sound like an ailment.

"Fara is of integral importance to us. For us to have a patron who isn't just an incredible sportsperson but who can connect with our cause and players is invaluable."

As well as football coaching, the players work towards a sports leaders qualification, which has brought about positive results.

The Homeless FA's research shows that all of the players involved report increased confidence levels; half of those using substances stop completely by the end of their time with the organisation; and 58% improve their housing situation.

At the end of the five-week course, some of the players are chosen to represent England in the Homeless World Cup. But the selections are based on a player's progress during the course rather than their ability.

"There's a few girls here that have been to the World Cup and are now working as volunteers for the Homeless FA," Williams says. "They're the ones that want to make a change."

Some of the women and girls have even returned from the World Cup determined to be the next Fara Williams and joined their local clubs. "I don't think it should matter what your background is," adds Williams. "For me, you can do it no matter where you live. I've been there, done it and I'm in a better place for it."

Williams has been selected for England in the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers  - as the Lionesses aim to keep their undefeated record intact against Belarus and Ukraine. With 127 caps to her name, she is just three games away from becoming England's most-capped player.

"It will be a massive achievement for me," she says. "Rachel Yankey, who is current most-capped player, I remember being a little girl seeing Rachel and she has definitely inspired many girls over the years. To be someone like that would be an absolute honour."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27644997
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #83: Jun 02, 2014 11:49:16 pm
      Some achievement from that sort of background. Not knocking it, just emphasising how difficult it must have been for her.
      One tough kookie i'd say. well done girl for never giving up, and realising your dream.
      An inspiration to millions.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #84: Jun 02, 2014 11:52:22 pm
      Couldn't find a current Liverpool Ladies thread. So, if it's all the same, I'll kick it off.

Much kudos and karma to the girl for her grit and determination in wanting to succeed in a profession she clearly loves.

England midfielder Fara Williams: I was homeless for six years
      Sceptics of the old adage "sport changes lives" need look no further than England footballer Fara Williams.

Football took Williams from budding starlet, bursting on to the international scene at just 17 years old in 2001, to seasoned old hand, where she is now just a handful of matches away from being England's most-capped player ever.

She has battled her way to becoming one of the finest midfielders in the world. And she did it while being homeless.

For six years the now 30-year-old balanced living rough and in hostels with impressing on the football pitch. Many of her team-mates were none the wiser.
      Fara Williams facts
      Fara Williams

Club: Liverpool Ladies
          Honours: Women's Super League, FA Cup, two League Cups
          England debut: 24 November 2001 v Portugal
          Caps: 127; Goals: 37

"I just didn't want to tell people," Williams reveals to BBC Sport - the first time she has spoken publically about being homeless. "People have a judgement of who should be homeless and who shouldn't, and I felt people would judge me.

"I put on a brave face and lived my life as a normal person would, as though I was living at home."

The Liverpool Ladies player, who left previous club Everton in 2012, was homeless during much of her early career, celebrating her 18th and 21st birthdays in hostels.

"The cause of most homelessness, which people aren't aware of, is family breakdown - it's not just addictions, that's just what people turn to [as a result of being homeless].

"People are mainly scared of the homeless they see on the streets. They're intimidated by them but they're normal people with problems. We all have problems," she adds.

Williams' experiences led her to work with the Homeless FA,  where she coaches homeless girls and women every week.

It is clear during a training session at Manchester United's Cliff Ground that Williams enjoys her role. A smile rarely leaves her face as she delivers a session on ball control. The homeless players respond to her instructions with gusto, a few even attempting cheeky Cruyff turns to impress her.

"To have the opportunity to help these girls is something that I didn't want to turn down. I wanted to share my story with them and show them that there is a pathway to get out of the situation they're in," Williams explains.

"It's hard because you feel sorry for yourself [when you're homeless]. You feel like no one's there for you. I had football as my motivation, but some of these [people that I coach] don't have any motivation. I try to show them that there are people out there that want to help them, but also they've got to help themselves.

"It's just getting them out of the hostel environment, showing them that there is a different way, letting them have a bit of fun and interacting with different people."

Since 2012 the Homeless FA charity has used football to empower, and change the negative public perception of the issue.

Head of the charity Gareth Parker, who also helped found the organisation, explains: "We prefer to use the term 'people experiencing homelessness' rather than 'homeless people,' so it doesn't sound like an ailment.

"Fara is of integral importance to us. For us to have a patron who isn't just an incredible sportsperson but who can connect with our cause and players is invaluable."

As well as football coaching, the players work towards a sports leaders qualification, which has brought about positive results.

The Homeless FA's research shows that all of the players involved report increased confidence levels; half of those using substances stop completely by the end of their time with the organisation; and 58% improve their housing situation.

At the end of the five-week course, some of the players are chosen to represent England in the Homeless World Cup. But the selections are based on a player's progress during the course rather than their ability.

"There's a few girls here that have been to the World Cup and are now working as volunteers for the Homeless FA," Williams says. "They're the ones that want to make a change."

Some of the women and girls have even returned from the World Cup determined to be the next Fara Williams and joined their local clubs. "I don't think it should matter what your background is," adds Williams. "For me, you can do it no matter where you live. I've been there, done it and I'm in a better place for it."

Williams has been selected for England in the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers  - as the Lionesses aim to keep their undefeated record intact against Belarus and Ukraine. With 127 caps to her name, she is just three games away from becoming England's most-capped player.

"It will be a massive achievement for me," she says. "Rachel Yankey, who is current most-capped player, I remember being a little girl seeing Rachel and she has definitely inspired many girls over the years. To be someone like that would be an absolute honour."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27644997

Wow.
      What a women.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #85: Sep 22, 2014 06:39:52 pm
      Great vision and quick thinking by the girl. Showing the boys how it's done :f_tongueincheek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29314805
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #86: Oct 09, 2014 07:38:37 am
      Does anyone know how the (Liverpool females) got on yesterday and their standings in the league and cups?
      I'll be grateful towards anyone who answers this.
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2014 08:51:50 am by fishpie »
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #87: Oct 09, 2014 07:47:13 am
      Does anyone know how they (Liverpool females) got on yesterday and their standings in the league and cups?
      I'll be grateful towards anyone who answers this.

currently third in the league, 3 points behind leaders Chelsea .........
      here you can find all details,results and table of women football>>http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/womens/

YNWA
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #88: Oct 09, 2014 08:42:15 am
      2-1 winners last night in first CL game.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #89: Oct 09, 2014 10:29:42 am
      Can we sign her for the men's team? Seriously though given her background should put the male players to shame given the money they make for some of the performances they've had lately. Made up they won.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #90: Oct 09, 2014 10:39:57 am
      Congrats on winning their first Champions League game.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #91: Oct 12, 2014 03:58:49 pm
      Liverpool ladies have retained their title. Very exciting listening to it on the radio.
      It went down to the wire.
      Well done Ladies, a fantastic achievement!

:kop5cf8koxp6: :champ: :champ: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      « Last Edit: Oct 13, 2014 09:52:28 am by Redangel, Reason: Forgot smileys. »

Quick Reply