Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. So who wins it?

Liverpool FC
      185 (75.8%)
      Manchester City
      45 (18.4%)
      Chelsea
      12 (4.9%)
      Arsenal
      2 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 240

The 'Run In'

Read 103814 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: The 'Run In'
      Reply #667: Apr 20, 2014 10:09:22 pm
      City could still win on goal difference

ah.  Just redid that.  So even if they lose tomorrow vs West Brom they could still end up on 83 points if they win out.  And then our Chelsea win would put us also on 83 points.  So we'd still have a little bit of work to do. 

Was hoping the title could be decided next weekend definitively but I suppose we'll have to wait.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #668: Apr 20, 2014 10:43:26 pm
      ah.  Just redid that.  So even if they lose tomorrow vs West Brom they could still end up on 83 points if they win out.  And then our Chelsea win would put us also on 83 points.  So we'd still have a little bit of work to do. 

Was hoping the title could be decided next weekend definitively but I suppose we'll have to wait.
      No, you are right. We could win the title next weekend. Unlikely, but possible
      City lose points midweek
      We win
      City lose points next weekend

We win the title :)

As i said, unlikely, but very much a possibility

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #669: Apr 20, 2014 11:59:51 pm

City fail to beat West Brom and Palace, we beat Chelsea then we win the League. So we can't win the League against Chelsea but we can win it on that day.

Two draws for them, puts them 10 behind with only 9 available. So they must beat either West Brom or Palace to remain in contention - assuming we beat Chelsea.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #670: Apr 21, 2014 04:42:09 am
      If the Baggies snatch a draw at the Etihad, nothing like it. If that happens, we can wrap up the championship with a win at Crystal Palace (of course we win against the plastics), Imagine the homecoming we'll have on May 11  :aaliverpoolwz0:

Ok!! Not going far ahead - Azpilicueta for me is the one to be targeted in the game vs the plastics next week. He is gonna play 90mins at Madrid, perfect time to unleash Sterling on him esp after his nervous tackle on Altidore last week. That way, Hazard will be forced to track back a lot to help him, minimizing his threat as well
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #671: Apr 21, 2014 05:56:21 am
      Cannot F***ing wait to have Stevie lifting that trophy on my profile pic.
      COYR.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #672: Apr 21, 2014 06:48:19 am
      Citeh are the closest rivals now - and that is why we need 7 more points

However - IF they draw vs west brom (-2) and we beat the chavs - it will be all eyes on Citeh v Palace, as another draw gives us the title

Its getting closer now...

The atmosphere at anfield in the last 2 games - well, think of the CL semi vs Chelsea, the Olympiakos game that season, add in a sprinkling of St Ettiene..

Then double it for chelsea, and quadruple for Newcastle
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #673: Apr 21, 2014 09:23:02 am
      Was going to post THREE STEPS TO HEAVEN.

Toss up between Eddie Cochran and Showaddywaddy.

Ill pass.

Ive got my coat and taxi.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #674: Apr 21, 2014 10:08:23 am
      Our objective was to qualify for the champions league - we have now secured that. Our next objective should be to ensure we finish in a position which guarantees us automatic qualification to the CL. These are our longer term incentives. Right now, the title is irrelevant. Let's focus on beating Chelsea, and then we go again ;-)

We are just enjoying our football. There is no pressure within the squad.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #675: Apr 21, 2014 10:15:03 am
      Our next objective should be to ensure we finish in a position which guarantees us automatic qualification to the CL. These are our longer term incentives. Right now, the title is irrelevant. Let's focus on beating Chelsea, and then we go again ;-)

That 'next objective' that you speak of was achieved yesterday, we can't finish any lower than 3rd which means we automatically qualify for the group stages, therefore, the title is completely relevant.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #676: Apr 21, 2014 10:18:00 am
      Our next objective should be to ensure we finish in a position which guarantees us automatic qualification to the CL.
      Haven't we already done that mate?

Right now, the title is irrelevant.
      To be honest: it's the only thing which is relevant CR.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #677: Apr 21, 2014 10:24:05 am
      Assuming we win against the plastics, and if City manage only 5 points or less from the next 3 (which is likely - WBA Home, Palace Away, Everton Away), we'll be champions before we play Palace
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #678: Apr 21, 2014 10:29:53 am
      Seven points from the last three games whatever it is. The bar will be lower if Citeh slips up.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #679: Apr 21, 2014 10:32:16 am
      Assuming we win against the plastics, and if City manage only 5 points or less from the next 3 (which is likely - WBA Home, Palace Away, Everton Away), we'll be champions before we play Palace

You're right, we could be Champions next Sunday but we have to wait for City's game before we can celebrate  ;D

Is absolutely correct Mouse  :nod:

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #680: Apr 21, 2014 11:23:22 am

Liverpool will never forgive themselves if they fail to win title

Liverpool stand three steps from Premier League heaven after all the qualities required to win titles were put to the test by Norwich City at Carrow Road.
      Brendan Rodgers's side - it is still just too early to call them champions-elect - showed their attacking brilliance, resilience and enjoyed a little good fortune to hold out for a win that at one stage looked a formality.
      Early goals from Raheem Sterling and Luis Suarez were examples of the fluidity and brilliance that have become Liverpool's trademark this season, but those other factors were at work as they dug in to go five points clear at the top of the table with a 3-2 victory.
      With all the other cards falling into place this week as Sunderland took four points off Manchester City and Chelsea, it was a result that completed another perfect weekend for Liverpool - and for supporters heady on the anticipation of their first title in 24 years.

Liverpool - who host Chelsea, visit Crystal Palace and return to Anfield to face Newcastle - may not even need their three games to complete the job.

If they do not win the title now, though, it will be regarded as one of the biggest missed opportunities in their history.

Once again, captain Steven Gerrard led by example at Carrow Road, especially late on when struggling Norwich got the scent of an unlikely point. And his message was the same as after the win against Manchester City a week ago - one more obstacle successfully cleared, on to the next.

The reaction of every member of Liverpool's camp at the final whistle told the tale.
      After Chelsea's shock defeat at home to Sunderland, this was an opportunity to be grabbed with both hands. How nervously they clung to it during those tense final moments in Norfolk.

Adding to a sense that this will be Liverpool's title season at last, even those Rodgers has sent away from Anfield have been making crucial contributions.

Oussama Asaidi's late winner for Stoke City against Chelsea in December looked like a minor inconvenience for Jose Mourinho at the time.
      When another on-loan Liverpool attacker, Fabio Borini, did the same for Sunderland at Stamford Bridge on Saturday night, he may have inflicted the fatal blow to their title bid.

Sunderland have acted almost as Liverpool agents in this pivotal week, first taking two points off Manchester City with a 2-2 draw at Etihad Stadium, then beating Chelsea to inflict on manager Jose Mourinho his first home Premier League defeat in 78 games over two spells.
      While belying their own status as strugglers for survival with top-class performances against two of the Premier League's elite, Sunderland have also earned themselves an honourable mention in any discussion should the Merseysiders claim their first crown for 24 years.
      Bottom of the table, and more or less ushered towards the Championship after their home defeat by Everton a week ago, Gus Poyet's men are proving the most unlikely allies, fuelled by their own desperation to stay up.

And what irony .
      That the young Italian Borini, once a Chelsea fringe player and sent out on loan to Wearside after an unfulfilling first season at Anfield, should deliver what may prove the decisive blow with his calmly taken 82nd-minute penalty after Connor Wickham had equalised a Samuel Eto'o opener.
      The bitter sarcasm Mourinho aimed at referee Mike Dean and his superior, referees' chief Mike Riley, after the match reflected the damage he suspects this defeat has done to Chelsea, although their visit to Liverpool next weekend still offers them some hope.
      But that encounter falls between the Blues' two Champions League semi-final games against Atletico Madrid.

Manchester City, meanwhile, will be hoping that a win at home to West Brom on Monday will put pressure back on the leaders. They will also hope Liverpool and Chelsea cut each other up with a draw next Sunday.
      The permutations may still be head-spinning but one thing is clear: Liverpool will never have a better chance to end the long wait, and return to the perch they were so unceremoniously knocked off after that 1990 triumph.
      From the moment Rodgers' side lined up against City at Anfield last Sunday, everything has fallen in their favour.

This increased expectation - we can call it a likelihood now - about a title win that appeared inconceivable before the start of the season brings pressures of its own, especially with anticipation almost at fever pitch among the Anfield support.

So far, of all the teams at the top, Liverpool have looked the least vulnerable, putting together 11 straight league wins to move from fourth to first.

If they do not put the finishing touches to this season, they know - and plenty will be ready to remind them - that they will only have themselves to blame.

No pressure then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27091159
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #681: Apr 21, 2014 11:29:34 am

If they do not put the finishing touches to this season, they know - and plenty will be ready to remind them - that they will only have themselves to blame.

No pressure then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27091159

Nothing's changed Skip, as Stevie said ''on to the next one''.
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #682: Apr 21, 2014 12:35:43 pm

But that scenario would put us needing one point out of two matches.  I would like those odds.
      FCGroningen
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #683: Apr 21, 2014 02:13:39 pm
      The Barclays Premier League table since the close of the 1 feb transfer window

Maybee this image would be better in  "The Official: Laugh At The Mancs Thread".  :lmao:
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #684: Apr 21, 2014 02:14:20 pm
      Haven't we already done that mate?

No, finishing 3rd surely means you still have to qualify do you not? I thought 1st and 2nd is automatic qualification, with 3rd and 4th needing to qualify. I could well be wrong. You see, it's been a while since we were last in it.

Yes, title is relevant but right now the game against Chelsea is priority. We can't look past them. Get three points, and then we go again.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #685: Apr 21, 2014 03:16:27 pm
      4th needs to qualify. 3rd is straight into the groups.
      asus
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #686: Apr 21, 2014 05:21:25 pm
      Chelski and Citeh looking vulnerable. Can't see them getting full points from remaining games.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #687: Apr 21, 2014 06:42:02 pm
      I can't take any of this speculation on board. It's tempting fate. We could also drop points so I look at it like this.
      Forget everything that has gone before. Try not to think about the position we are in. Don't think about other teams and who they will play. Don't think about how many games we have to play. 
       Just, can we get 3 points from the next game. End of. Boring maybe, but I just refuse to tempt fate with speculation and expectation.
      I've lived through many successful seasons in the past, but never have I been so nervous about a run in. I refuse to get excited until the maths tell me different !
      Then I will likely explode.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #688: Apr 21, 2014 07:00:48 pm
      I can't take any of this speculation on board. It's tempting fate. We could also drop points so I look at it like this.
      Forget everything that has gone before. Try not to think about the position we are in. Don't think about other teams and who they will play. Don't think about how many games we have to play. 
       Just, can we get 3 points from the next game. End of. Boring maybe, but I just refuse to tempt fate with speculation and expectation.
      I've lived through many successful seasons in the past, but never have I been so nervous about a run in. I refuse to get excited until the maths tell me different !
      Then I will likely explode.

Totally agree!

I'm not going to celebrate finishing 2nd or 3rd, and mathematically, that is still possible. By this, I'm not going to celebrate until "Liverpool F.C" gets engraved onto the premiership trophy. Until then, I'll remain calm and hopeful. Not expectant, just hopeful. Nothing has been won yet.

YNWA
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #689: Apr 21, 2014 07:25:32 pm
      Just beat Chelsea. Then we'll look at whoever we are playing next.

Quick Reply