Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Fabio Borini (Sunderland/QPR)

Read 73322 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Fabio Borini (Sunderland)
      Reply #414: Jul 23, 2014 08:04:06 am
      We have to commend him for wanting to stay and fight, maybe just maybe he will prove us all wrong and bag us a few goals say 10-15,
      he has to be given game time to achieve this however and perhaps he feels if he works hard enough knuckles down BR might give him his chance,
      We have a lot more games to face this season and god forbid we don't lose Studge thru injury Fabio could prove to be vital by being available,
      I'm not sure the lad is holding out for a improved offer elsewhere I think he realises he's at such a big club with a very high percentage of success, and by leaving he's practically giving up a opportunity to enhance his CV, let's be honest here, going to Sunderland or elsewhere for him means it's unlikely he'll be hanging medals round his Gregory Peck,

Good luck to the lad I say.

YNWA
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #415: Jul 23, 2014 08:53:55 am
      I wonder if he really wants to fight for a place here or just holding out for a better move
      It's something which has been mentioned a few times Vicks and I think that's quite possible. I can't help thinking if it were Arsenal [I know], Spurs or Roma, who offered £14m, his willingness to stay and fight might have been diminished. Then again: maybe we are doing the lad a disservice and his motives are pure...

We have to commend him for wanting to stay and fight
      I agree Billy.

Stewart Downing showed the same willingness to stay &  fight and (in fact) he actually did; to the point where Brendan was picking him every week for a team who's performances were drastically improved in the second part of his last season. Brendan even told him that he wanted him to stay then... boom... sold to West Ham in a deal Brendan described as 'incredible' [for Downing, I presume].

The point being that in Downing we had a lad who wanted to stay & fight [just like Fabio]  and was playing regularly in the starting XI [unlike Fabio] - yet he was still sold.

Fabio might, very well, want to stay and yes he should be commended [just like Stewart should have been]  but I can't help believing that the writing is on the wall for Fabio.  :-\
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #416: Jul 23, 2014 12:44:46 pm
      Borini is a bit like Kuyt, really good instincts and a superb footballing brain to be in the right place at the right time but just not good enough technically, if he can improve then he could become a brilliant striker but if it hasn't happened yet then I doubt it ever will.

Please just accept your level Fabio and move to Sunderland, you'll get more game time and opportunity to grow as a player.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #417: Jul 23, 2014 12:49:56 pm
      Personally, I would prefer it if he went, especially at that price.

Thing is though, if he stays because he wants to fight for his place here, then there's no way that you, me or even Brendan Rodgers can have any complaints. We offered him a contract and he signed it. We're quick enough to bemoan any player who does well but then wants to move on with all disregard for the contract that they agreed to, so wouldn't we be acting in the same way by trying to force him on his way because he hasn't done that well although he wants to stay on?

We're quick enough to bemoan when they're world class.  :D

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #418: Jul 23, 2014 01:56:01 pm
      I'm torn about this if I'm honest, when he was with Sunderland on loan he proved that by playing regularly he could bang the goals in, maybe its just that, he needs to play regularly, and there lies the problem, with Luis & Studge being virtual shoe-ins his appearances would always have been restricted, add to that we only had domestic football including cup comps to have a chance of playing in, once we were out of both cups he had virtually no chance of any game time hence going on loan,
      this coming season is different, we have CL and Luis has gone to pastures new, look, all I'm saying is that if the lad is prepared to work his nads off for even a run of games in the domestic cups, who knows he could very well gain the confidence that BR wants to see, ok, at £14m it is a tempting offer, but who's to say that he does do very well for this season, its not inconceivable we could get more for him if BR fancies more quality up front, that could still happen before the window closes anyhoo,

and what if(not tempting fate here) say Studge or Ricky pick up a long term injury, he could prove vital with the amount of games that lie ahead, the more I think about it the more I want to keep hold for now, we can still go out and buy that quality striker if we can find one suitable,  no point in selling then finding ourselves short up front is there ?

the lad wants to stay and fight, for me that's the type of player you want, quite prepared to run thru brickwalls, because he recognises the value and priviledge that it is to play for Liverpool FC.

YNWA
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #419: Jul 23, 2014 02:07:29 pm
      Borini is a bit like Kuyt, really good instincts and a superb footballing brain to be in the right place at the right time but just not good enough technically, if he can improve then he could become a brilliant striker but if it hasn't happened yet then I doubt it ever will.

Please just accept your level Fabio and move to Sunderland, you'll get more game time and opportunity to grow as a player.

I don't think I have said a bad work about Borini, but he is nothing like Kuyt.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #420: Jul 23, 2014 03:06:32 pm
      people just say it because just like kuyt, he's an obvious centre forward playing out of place. Both apparently work hard,  however I agree that he's nothing like kuyt because what matters is the gap in quality between the two.  Kuyt has been and still is good. Borini a few years away from his peak has done nothing to suggest he'll ever be as good as kuyt.  Kuyt was good but not particularly great. Borini's best will probably be around average in a mid table side and it's looking like that should be Sunderland.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #421: Jul 23, 2014 06:10:07 pm
      Rodgers in his pre-match conference say that they got an offer and Borini is pondering his options, until then he is a LFC player and will feature on this tour until he decides to go.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #422: Jul 23, 2014 06:17:30 pm
      Does he really want to stay and fight for his place though? Not many do once their club has accepted an offer, particularly when they didn't get much a runout in the first place. I suspect this one will go through. I also suspect that young Fabio and his agent aren't stupid and are wondering if (at that price) they can't get the final two years on Borini's contract paid off seeing as he would rather "stay and fit for his place".

Just a thought :-)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #423: Jul 23, 2014 06:19:29 pm

Two words separate Kuyt and Borini - work rate.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #424: Jul 23, 2014 09:32:45 pm

Eh? Thats why people say he is like Kuyt - because they both have very high work rates.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6356 
      Reply #425: Jul 23, 2014 09:35:49 pm

I think you'll notice that Borini works pretty dang hard. Don't know if anyone works as hard as Kuyt so that might not be a fair comparison but Borini puts in a hell of a shift.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #426: Jul 23, 2014 09:38:02 pm
      I think you'll notice that Borini works pretty dang hard. Don't know if anyone works as hard as Kuyt so that might not be a fair comparison but Borini puts in a hell of a shift.

I would say they are similar except Dirk seemed to get something for his hard work, Fabio so far not so much return for the effort with us.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #427: Jul 23, 2014 09:40:17 pm

Mate, I'd work hard and put in a shift in every game I played if I was a Liverpool player.

But I'd still be sh*t.

Just like this Opening Ceremony.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #428: Jul 23, 2014 10:14:01 pm
       Hold the phone. Dirk Kuyt is/was a better player than Fabio Borini. All day long. I'm a big fan of Dirk, he stood up to be counted plenty of times when the chips were down. No comparison imo.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #429: Jul 23, 2014 10:15:03 pm
      Apparently he's being linked with Juve now. No idea how credible the source is though.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/07/23/serie-a-transfer-latest-juve-eye-shock-move-for-liverpool-strike/
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #430: Jul 23, 2014 10:31:17 pm
      Hold the phone. Dirk Kuyt is/was a better player than Fabio Borini. All day long. I'm a big fan of Dirk, he stood up to be counted plenty of times when the chips were down. No comparison imo.

The one and only thing people were comparing the two players to was the amount of running and work put in by both.

That's all, nothing else.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #431: Jul 23, 2014 10:34:43 pm
      The one and only thing people were comparing the two players to was the amount of running and work put in by both.

That's all, nothing else.

Phew :)
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #432: Jul 23, 2014 10:45:52 pm

Agreed there is a difference in quality - but it is totally off the mark to say that the difference between Borini and Kuyt is work rate, as both have fantastic work rates (in fact the biggest thing they have in common!)
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #433: Jul 23, 2014 11:31:16 pm
      Obviously rated!!. Can't blame the lad for getting the best move. As long as we get 14 for him, happy days.
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #434: Jul 24, 2014 12:47:04 am
      Looks like any deal for him is done..Looks like he has picked up a shoulder injury
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #435: Jul 24, 2014 02:10:00 am
      Looks like any deal for him is done..Looks like he has picked up a shoulder injury

most expensive injury ever?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #436: Jul 24, 2014 06:20:12 am
      "He won't train now for the remainder of the trip here, but it's only going to be a matter of days before he's back training and playing again"

That's like saying, pack your bags now, go back home and listen to what Gus says!!
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2014 06:30:33 am by Vicks86 »

Quick Reply