Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

What Do You Deem Successful For Us This Season (per competition)

Read 1471 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      What Do You Deem Successful For Us This Season (per competition)
      Jul 26, 2014 03:02:06 pm
      It's rather basic.

Four competitions, what constitutes as a successful run in each of those competitions to you.

I think people will know that anything other than the trophy in our hands isn't a successful season in my eyes. So if we fail to win any trophy that competition would of been a failure. But not everybody thinks that way.

So what is a successful League campaign, a successful European tour and successful domestic cup competitions. This also isn't what you expect because that's already running.
      « Last Edit: Jul 26, 2014 03:12:15 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Re: What Do You Deem Successful For Us This Season (per competition)
      Reply #1: Jul 26, 2014 03:16:03 pm
      Going one better in the Prem than last season for starters Billy, that has got to be a priority.
      Not overly concerned about the other domestics in fact too heavy an involvement with them could be detrimental to our CL aspirations where a sixth would send us all F***ing delirious.

Feet on the ground time....if we reach the last four in the CL I think nobody would be disappointed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2: Jul 26, 2014 03:28:01 pm
      Simple answer would be to improve our league position, do better in the cups and make our mark in Europe.

Sadly I don't think we will improve our league position, so top four while not "success" would not be failure in my eyes either.

I think the cups may well prove to be our savior in terms of genuine success this season. I think we are set up nicely to have a real go at the cups with our squad stronger than it has been for a while, so even the "distraction" of Europe shouldn't affect our cup runs too much.

I think we will win one of the domestic cups and get a good run for our money in the other.

Europe I think if we reach the quarter finals we can consider it a good run, as the experience gained both for manager and players should serve us well in the future.

Obviously things change and a couple of good players brought in either now or even at Christmas could make all the difference to our league position and my expectations. (I think we are maybe just one or two quality players short). I think our SQUAD is strong enough to win us a cup and I will look back on the season with a little regret if we finish empty handed again.

So in answer to your question .... A cup, top 4 and a decent run in Europe will be enough to keep me happy, anything more will be a bonus, anything less and I will be disappointed.       
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3: Jul 26, 2014 03:35:08 pm
      I always think we should and can win the league but like Saint said I won't count it as a failure if we don't.

I do, however, feel we need to win a cup and think it's about time we put silverware back in the cabinet so anything less than a win in one of the cups would count as failure for me.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: Jul 26, 2014 03:37:35 pm
      If we played sensational football qualified for CL and challenged in the league I would take that over winning something by tightening up and playing hard to beat. We used to say take one game at a time and count up the wins at the end of the season and see where that took us. The best thing for me last season was the number of times we put teams to the sword that was so good to see and reminiscent of Anfield of old.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Jul 26, 2014 03:39:26 pm
      So basically a thread for all of you to tell me your wrong opinions as I've already stated the only correct option. Definitely not fishing for anything!  :angel: (I see it needed some amendments there... haha)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #6: Jul 26, 2014 03:39:26 pm
      If we played sensational football qualified for CL and challenged in the league I would take that over winning something

I wouldn't mate and don't see why we can't do both.

I think there are too many excuses for managers and players nowadays when it comes to actually trying to win either of the cups.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Jul 26, 2014 03:43:39 pm
      I wouldn't mate and don't see why we can't do both.

I think there are too many excuses for managers and players nowadays when it comes to actually trying to win either of the cups.

I couldn't bare to see us win games 1-0 scrambling towards some silverware just like Chelsea under Maureen. No reason why attacking play cannot win things. Last season was a breath of fresh air and with a much stronger squad and players being bought that fit the LFC mould we should be able to entertain and win silverware.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Jul 26, 2014 03:47:59 pm
      I remember watching matches last year and thinking 'sh*t, we are brilliant' :) But with Luis gone, and a lot of new signings coming in, reckon 1st place could be out of reach, so top4 and a cup would be a decent result. We've definitely strengthened the squad, but whether we're really improved the starting XI I'm not so sure.

Then again, we did unexpectedly brilliant last year, and BR proved what a good manager he is. So you never know...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #9: Jul 26, 2014 03:48:00 pm
      So basically a thread for all of you to tell me your wrong opinions as I've already stated the only correct option. Definitely not fishing for anything!  :angel: (I see it needed some amendments there... haha)

To be fair mate no one is forced to post in the thread.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jul 26, 2014 04:23:14 pm
      To be fair mate no one is forced to post in the thread.

Sure. But you probably didn't see the original thread opener.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #11: Jul 26, 2014 05:42:30 pm
      To have a successful season in my eyes, we have to:

Premiership - top 3 and be in with a chance of the title
      Domestic cups - get to a final of one of them at the least.
      Champions league - get to quarter finals at least.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #12: Jul 26, 2014 05:42:35 pm
      For this upcoming season, I think we'll have to expect a completely different season. It's not going to be as easy as last season for the face that A. There is a shed loads of players coming in and B. We'll have Champions league football to also juggle with. It is going to take its toll, and you could consider this a transitional period for us given we've really emphasised on increasing squad strength here. We are far from the finished article so as long as we consolidate a top four position and give it a real go in any of the cups, I will be really happy and deem it a success. If we manage that, nothing less than a major trophy will be considered a success for the following season.

I'm just trying to be realistic and I think it'll be a real battle just to remain within the top four. Saying that, I'd accept 5th and the champions league trophy.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #13: Jul 26, 2014 06:49:10 pm
      Premier League - challenge for the title
      Champions League - get out of the group (let's not forget we ain't been in it for a while and our manager has no experience in it)
      Domestic Cup - win it.

I'm not ashamed to say that failing to win the league/CL can still be 'successful'.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #14: Jul 26, 2014 06:59:52 pm
      I agree Chats
      I think the standard of the prem is being raised once again by some very astute signings by our competition and some changes in their systems and management.
      It's going to be much much harder than last season for the top 5 clubs to win the title.
      That's why the prem is the best damn league out there.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #15: Jul 26, 2014 07:35:58 pm
      If you offered me a top 4 finish and a decent run in the Champions League next season I would bite your hand off. I figure it will an absolute dog fight again for the top 4 next season. The mancs will come back very strong given they have no European football, a bunch of money and a very good coach who will have time to work with his players.

If Luis was still an LFC player I would be saying to be champions.

It's gonna take me a while to et over the fact he no longer. Players for LFC :-(
      LFCexiled
      Reply #16: Jul 26, 2014 08:13:38 pm
      As a minimum for me

Prem - 3rd or up.

CL - semi's.

FA Cup - win

Carling/Worthington/Milk Cup - Good run for the kids.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #17: Jul 26, 2014 11:06:49 pm
      Top 3 in the league

Win the FA cup

QF of European cup

Win League cup
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #18: Jul 27, 2014 01:03:05 am
      Win the league.

Quick Reply