Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Daniel Agger (Arsenal/Barcelona)

Read 23829 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Daniel Agger (Arsenal/Barcelona)
      Reply #299: Aug 29, 2014 11:39:16 pm
      Goodness. He's turning his back on top level European football early isn't he? What a fantastic asset he will be going back to Brondby - he has a lot more to offer.

It has been an honour having him spend close to 9 years and his prime days as a footballer at this club.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #300: Aug 29, 2014 11:39:32 pm
      £3M for Agger is F***ing ridiculous whatever way you look at it as far as I'm concerned.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #301: Aug 29, 2014 11:40:18 pm
      Ignoring the money for a moment. I honestly believe the squad and possibly the teams strength will be reduced by the loss of Agger and before that the loss of Reina. 

Two very experienced players who both have vast experience of CL (both played in a final) just when we have returned to CL with an inexperienced squad and an inexperienced manager.

I just can't see how this benefits Liverpool at all.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #302: Aug 29, 2014 11:45:44 pm
      Ignoring the money for a moment. I honestly believe the squad and possibly the teams strength will be reduced by the loss of Agger and before that the loss of Reina. 

Two very experienced players who both have vast experience of CL (both played in a final) just when we have returned to CL with an inexperienced squad and an inexperienced manager.

I just can't see how this benefits Liverpool at all.

Fully agree Saint.

A squad without Agger is a weaker squad no matter how you look at it and in a season where we need strength in depth.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #303: Aug 29, 2014 11:55:24 pm
      James Pearce writes that the player “has been linked with Atletico Madrid and Napoli but Agger informed Liverpool he had no interest in playing for anyone else other than Brondby in his homeland.”

However this was “complicated by the fact that Brondby aren’t in a position to pay anywhere near the market value for Denmark’s captain.”

It is suggested that the Danish club will pay the nominal fee, whilst Liverpool are “close to a settlement with Agger over the final two years of his £120,000 per week contract,” suggesting that the 29-year-old will earn significantly less at Brondby.
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/08/lfc-transfer-rumours-round-agger-coates-borini/

So not only are we supposedly going to let him go for a nominal fee, but pay part of his wages as well.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #304: Aug 29, 2014 11:57:13 pm
      but pay part of his wages as well.
      Modify message

Expect any less? Seems to be every transfer window we are either paying someone off or continuing a wage contribution.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #305: Aug 29, 2014 11:57:20 pm
      James Pearce writes that the player “has been linked with Atletico Madrid and Napoli but Agger informed Liverpool he had no interest in playing for anyone else other than Brondby in his homeland.”

However this was “complicated by the fact that Brondby aren’t in a position to pay anywhere near the market value for Denmark’s captain.”

It is suggested that the Danish club will pay the nominal fee, whilst Liverpool are “close to a settlement with Agger over the final two years of his £120,000 per week contract,” suggesting that the 29-year-old will earn significantly less at Brondby.
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/08/lfc-transfer-rumours-round-agger-coates-borini/

So not only are we supposedly going to let him go for a nominal fee, but pay part of his wages as well.

That's weird. Tbh I'd rather we just kept him for depth even if he doesn't get that many games.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #306: Aug 29, 2014 11:57:34 pm

Hardly a surprise Saint.

So just because Agger only wants to go to Brondby we have to stump up some of his wages?
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #307: Aug 29, 2014 11:59:15 pm
      Deserves a proper send off this lad.

Adopted Scouser, and albeit his form hasn't been tip-top of late, he was a bloody good player for us.

Enjoy Home, Danny! Thanks for the memories. :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #308: Aug 30, 2014 12:01:19 am
      I'm not sure I can think of another club who would sell a 29 year old CB in their prime for a 'nominal fee' and pay off his contact as well.

Don't want to get into another debate about FSG as I do think they have done well this summer but really is a sh*te transfer if this happens.
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2014 12:29:04 am by srslfc »
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #309: Aug 30, 2014 12:23:39 am

I'd just love to hear that conversation between Ian Ayre and Brondby.

Brondby: "Hey Ian, is Agger available for transfer"

Liverpool: "Yeah, sure, he's available for 10 million"

Brondby: "Small problem Ian, I've only got 3 million in yearly payments of £2.99, is that enough?"

Liverpool: "F**k it, he's yours, 3 million"

Brondby: "Oh, while we're talking, can you pay his wages too"

Liverpool: "Yeah, sure why not. You give me £3 million for Agger, then I'll use that money to pay his wages while he plays for Brondby. Seems a fair deal for both parties. Good negotiating with you"

Hardly a surprise Saint.

So just because Agger only wants to go to Brondby we have to stump up some of his wages?

Exactly. I appreciate the loyalty he gave us and I think he's a decent player but we have made Agger a multi-millionaire and he's won trophies under us.

I just don't see why Liverpool should lose out on millions in transfer fees plus we have to pay his wages because he refused to go to talk to other clubs.

I would much rather keep him for his experience instead of receiving £3 million for him, all of which will be sent him his wages next season.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #310: Aug 30, 2014 12:41:36 am
      I'd just love to hear that conversation between Ian Ayre and Brondby.

Brondby: "Hey Ian, is Agger available for transfer"

Liverpool: "Yeah, sure, he's available for 10 million"

Brondby: "Small problem Ian, I've only got 3 million in yearly payments of £2.99, is that enough?"

Liverpool: "F**k it, he's yours, 3 million"

Brondby: "Oh, while we're talking, can you pay his wages too"

Liverpool: "Yeah, sure why not. You give me £3 million for Agger, then I'll use that money to pay his wages while he plays for Brondby. Seems a fair deal for both parties. Good negotiating with you"

Exactly. I appreciate the loyalty he gave us and I think he's a decent player but we have made Agger a multi-millionaire and he's won trophies under us.

I just don't see why Liverpool should lose out on millions in transfer fees plus we have to pay his wages because he refused to go to talk to other clubs.

I would much rather keep him for his experience instead of receiving £3 million for him, all of which will be sent him his wages next season.

It's a buyout of Aggers contract between him and LFC not us paying his wages at Bronby btw.

So its probably more like here is 2.5-3 million cash up front and good luck to you versus us paying 120k week salary.

happens everyday in the business world.

Just had a client get bought out of his 250k/year salary to retire 5 years early...they gave him 1m upfront to get him off the books.

Liverpool are “close to a settlement with Agger over the final two years of his £120,000 per week contract,”

lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #311: Aug 30, 2014 12:49:15 am
      It's a buyout of Aggers contract between him and LFC not us paying his wages at Bronby btw.

So its probably more like here is 2.5-3 million cash up front and good luck to you versus us paying 120k week salary.

Just had a client get bought out of his 250k/year salary to retire 5 years early...they gave him 1m upfront to get him off the books.

Can you give me an example or two when a club that has CL and title aspirations has released a quality player like Agger in their prime for free or a couple milion? Under no medical purposes either, as Agger has been relative healthy for a couple years.

Either way we won't have much, or indeed any of that £3 million if we do have to give him wages, or some form of settlement payment.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #312: Aug 30, 2014 12:51:36 am
      Can you give me an example or two when a club that has CL and title aspirations has released a quality player like Agger in their prime for free or a couple milion? Under no medical purposes either, as Agger has been relative healthy for a couple years.

Either way we won't have much, or indeed any of that £3 million if we do have to give him wages, or some form of settlement payment.

Gonna have to ask Brendan Rodgers on that one YNWA...he has final say on all transfer in/out or at least he says he does, all I was doing was pointing out that we are not paying his wages at Brondby like some have suggested.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #313: Aug 30, 2014 12:53:40 am

Whichever way you look at it mate. We are basically letting a good player go for nothing, as whatever we get in transfer fee we will probably pay out in settlement of his wages.

I wish Danny all the best, but can't help feeling it is not the best deal for Liverpool.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #314: Aug 30, 2014 12:56:44 am
      Gonna have to ask Brendan Rodgers on that one YNWA...he has final say on all transfer in/out or at least he says he does, all I was doing was pointing out that we are not paying his wages at Brondby like some have suggested.
      True, but we'd still see a very small percentage of that 3 million when we pay everything in relation to settling his move to Brondby though.

I guess we'll never know the reasons, but I would not be surprised if FSG said he needs to go as he's on a lot of money. But I don't know that for sure.

Either way Agger was a loyal player for us and gave his all. Scored some beauties and is good enough to play for good teams all throughout Europe.

Liverpool - West Ham (Agger)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #315: Aug 30, 2014 12:57:09 am
      Whichever way you look at it mate. We are basically letting a good player go for nothing, as whatever we get in transfer fee we will probably pay out in settlement of his wages.

I wish Danny all the best, but can't help feeling it is not the best deal for Liverpool.

Not disagreeing...however there is usually reasons and circumstances unknown to us, thus it does not always mean we are inept or getting fck'd over as some suggest.

Reminds me a lot of the Maxi scenario...oh my God how we were going to go downhill after letting him go.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #316: Aug 30, 2014 01:06:37 am
      Not disagreeing...however there is usually reasons and circumstances unknown to us, thus it does not always mean we are inept or getting fck'd over as some suggest.

Reminds me a lot of the Maxi scenario...oh my God how we were going to go downhill after letting him go.

Big difference with Maxi , I doubt we could have sold Maxi for much and I think his contract was up anyway . I would have expected £10million or so for Danny and he has a few years to run on his contract.

I don't blame FSG for this one, but I do believe it could have been handled better and at an earlier stage..... more similarities with Reina than Maxi for me. 

Edit Apparently Maxi was in his last year of contract when he left.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #317: Aug 30, 2014 01:27:27 am
      True, but we'd still see a very small percentage of that 3 million when we pay everything in relation to settling his move to Brondby though.

I guess we'll never know the reasons, but I would not be surprised if FSG said he needs to go as he's on a lot of money. But I don't know that for sure.

Either way Agger was a loyal player for us and gave his all. Scored some beauties and is good enough to play for good teams all throughout Europe.

Liverpool - West Ham (Agger)

Remember listening to that match on the radio in my bedroom on that Saturday afternoon. One of my favourite goals ever. Good times.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #318: Aug 30, 2014 06:28:24 am
      I really hope this transfer goes through.. The last thing we would wanna do to Dagger is to sell him or push him out to another club against his wishes... he has been one immensely faithful player for us, wore the jersey with pride and had the bird close to his heart. This move is all about heart and nothing whatsoever about money. We might well be receiving part payments from Brondby in the future, who knows?

Thanks for THAT goal against the plastics Danny! I remember jumping up & down in my Dorm TV room. YNWA!!!
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #319: Aug 30, 2014 07:43:52 am
       £3m is rediculous for Daniel and if LFC is paying part of his 2year left wages than you can say practically he is on a FREE
       its just saying 'you are not that good anyway' we don't need you
      BUT........If he is not in BR plans and the boss told him you have no future here , and agger told him(if the above is true) If I don't play for LIVERPOOL I only want to play my childhood club, than you can see it in a different perspective
       LFC is recognizing his loyalty to the club and is granting his wishes and brondby is a small club that can't and won't  pay what really Agger is worth
         just hope its not all true though, and he stays, but I doubt it at this point

YNWA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #320: Aug 30, 2014 09:28:41 am
      That's weird. Tbh I'd rather we just kept him for depth even if he doesn't get that many games.

Agreed. Can't see why Danny would want to go home so early. Surely he'd rather play for Liverpool over Brondby even if his game time isn't going to be as much as he'd be playing there. He's now in the Champions League. You'd think he'd want to give that another crack with us. He is going to get a run out at some stage.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #321: Aug 30, 2014 09:54:43 am

On that note - any jobs going..?

Quick Reply