Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Tottenham vs Liverpool: Sunday, 13:30 BST

Read 12241 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Tottenham vs Liverpool: Sunday, 13:30 BST
      Reply #92: Aug 29, 2014 11:20:28 pm
      The recent spuds performances show that they are playing a high line, and a determined pressing game. Just like saints used to, trying too win the ball in opponents half of the field, and attacking quick. A lot like we have done under Brendan. I think it will come down to who concedes first. Then the others will have to open up a bit. They haven't looked bad to be fair, but they have had a euro game mid week. Their individuals look like they are playing together a bit better now, and we have a couple of lads yet to gain a fluent cohesion. They will certainly be confident, so we need to get that all important goal and set them back on their heels a bit.
      What we don't want to do, is drop back to deep at the first sign of pressure. They are at home and we can expect them to come at us a bit at the start. Just need to be fully concentrated, and don't let them get a hold in midfield. Then we catch them on the break, as their high line won't contend with our pace, as long as we can get a better service forward than we have done so far. 2 up front is a must. To be fair, Coutinho needs to sit on the bench for a game following his poor performance last time out, but I thought Allen had a decent game. that is how it has to be, play your form players first, as long as you don't have to play them out of position, to accommodate them. Going for 3-1 to the red men, with spuds getting late consolation. But it aint gonna be easy.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #93: Aug 29, 2014 11:54:58 pm
      Moreno is out isn't he?

If so then I hope Jose is fit and I'd have Mario in from the start and go with the diamond.

Mignolet

Manquillo  Skrtel  Lovren  Enrique

Gerrard

Henderson            Allen

Sterling

Sturridge   Balotelli
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #94: Aug 30, 2014 12:37:08 am
      In anticipation of his debut, I urge you all to read this brilliant article on Balotelli.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/29/mario-balotelli-liverpool-milan-italy

What we definitely need to do is to make Anfield his home from home, and give him the support to help him achieve his dreams.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #95: Aug 30, 2014 05:33:50 am
      I'd have Sturridge having more freedom to roam the pitch and keep Balotelli as the 9, but also with some mobility. Sturridge's game really improves when he has the chance to roam the pitch and not being too attached near the box. In my opinion, this is BR mistake so far and it's clear that our attack gets better when Sturridge have freedom to do his game.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #96: Aug 30, 2014 06:47:28 am
      Far closer encounter than last year, when the Reds won 4 0, may even have to settle for a point, but who knows.
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #97: Aug 30, 2014 07:58:24 am
      It is fantastic to see so many different permutations now.  I can't wait to see Markovic start but I feel of all the newbies Can is the one who needs to be given the opportunity as we need to stamp our authority in the midfield.  I may be wrong but I get the impression that once he gets into our starting XI he'll stay there. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #98: Aug 30, 2014 08:24:55 am
      Moreno is out isn't he?

If so then I hope Jose is fit and I'd have Mario in from the start and go with the diamond.

Mignolet

Manquillo  Skrtel  Lovren  Enrique

Gerrard

Henderson            Allen

Sterling

Sturridge   Balotelli

Do for me mate.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #99: Aug 30, 2014 09:00:57 am
      Mignolet

Manquillo
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Enrique

Gerrard
      Henderson
      Coutinho

Markovic
      Sterling

Sturridge

Get at these cu*ts. Can't stand them.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #100: Aug 30, 2014 10:09:11 am

Have you been inhabited by the spirit of H2H mate?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #101: Aug 30, 2014 11:28:51 am

Don't think anyone likes these fookers

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #102: Aug 30, 2014 02:43:45 pm
      Mignolet

Manquillo
      Lovren
      Sakho
      Enrique

Gerrard
      Henderson
      Coutinho

Markovic
      Sterling

Sturridge

That would be my lineup, Coutinho doesn't need the bench he just needs to play centrally. His quick feet in tight spaces will be important given the way they will press the ball. Same applies to the pace of Sterlng, Sturridge and Markovic. We run the risk of getting completely over run if we play a diamond.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #103: Aug 30, 2014 05:07:36 pm
      Well, i have to say, i haven't been as excited at seeing a new signing play since we signed Torres. For me, Balotelli has to start, Sturridge is lost on his own and we need that mad element in the side. We've looked tame in the last 2 games and we need somebody to shake this group up.

Thanks to Son of a Gun for posting that article above, a sad story but an interesting read. Balotelli is looking for somewhere to be loved and a Club he can feel is his home. If he puts the effort in and gives his all he'll get it back tenfold. There's no better Club than this for backing your own and the values he seeks are the values we already and always have held.

I never thought i'd find myself saying this but i can't wait to watch Balotelli play for us, i am busting for tomorrow to come.

Unleash the beast!
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #104: Aug 30, 2014 05:11:17 pm
      Lets get those three points back from City now after they have lost to Stoke!!!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #105: Aug 30, 2014 06:23:03 pm
      I expect Markovic to start, would be gutted if he's benched again.

Mignolet - Manquillo - Sakho - Lovren - Emre Can - Gerrard - Henderson - Coutinho - Sterling - Markovic - Sturridge
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #106: Aug 30, 2014 06:26:54 pm
      I expect Markovic to start, would be gutted if he's benched again.

Mignolet - Manquillo - Sakho - Lovren - Emre Can - Gerrard - Henderson - Coutinho - Sterling - Markovic - Sturridge

Surely Can is starting as you are hoping? Can only think injury kept him out of the last two games?

Well, i have to say, i haven't been as excited at seeing a new signing play since we signed Torres. For me, Balotelli has to start, Sturridge is lost on his own and we need that mad element in the side. We've looked tame in the last 2 games and we need somebody to shake this group up.

Thanks to Son of a Gun for posting that article above, a sad story but an interesting read. Balotelli is looking for somewhere to be loved and a Club he can feel is his home. If he puts the effort in and gives his all he'll get it back tenfold. There's no better Club than this for backing your own and the values he seeks are the values we already and always have held.

I never thought i'd find myself saying this but i can't wait to watch Balotelli play for us, i am busting for tomorrow to come.

Unleash the beast!

Totally feel the same way. Have to say there's an excitement placed on Balotelli that I've only felt when Torres and Suarez were signed into our club.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #107: Aug 30, 2014 06:29:14 pm
      Rumours flying about Skrtel is out for a month :-\
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #108: Aug 30, 2014 06:31:58 pm
      Rumours flying about Skrtel is out for a month :-\

Yeah fracture apparently.
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #109: Aug 30, 2014 06:35:56 pm
      That would be my lineup, Coutinho doesn't need the bench he just needs to play centrally. His quick feet in tight spaces will be important given the way they will press the ball.
      Tight space? He was crowded out last week therefore didn't put in a good shift. He works best where there are spaces to exploit.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #110: Aug 30, 2014 07:10:49 pm
      Tight space? He was crowded out last week therefore didn't put in a good shift. He works best where there are spaces to exploit.

I think that's more about his inconsistency which I'd expect at his age still. You see him school teams some weeks when they crowd him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #111: Aug 30, 2014 08:44:45 pm
      Is Moreno is out is Enrique fit? And if both are out whats the options?

1) Can: Played there for his former club at least once and not with huge success. Perhaps followers of the German league could tell us if he played there a few times and how he done

2) Lovern: Left footer. Not a full back though and with Skrtel out moving Lovern would mean a new centre back pairing. If desperate we could do this but it wouldn't be for me!

3) Call up a youth: No idea who and it would be far to big a game to risk it in my view

4) Suso/Lallana....ok its way out there but both are lefties both are intelligent players and both would put a shift in....this is my favourite idea has it would give us more of an attacking mindset. With Lovern there you have a talker who could advise them of positions to take when spurs have the ball. Could it work?

What other possible options do we have other then going 3 at the back?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #112: Aug 30, 2014 08:58:05 pm

There won't be a lot of space in midfield given the way Spurs willlookto play. Put Coutinho in a central position where he can beat the press and play the ball for our quicker players and we'll see the best of him is whati am saying. He can play out wide and be effective but in away games he really has be played centrally for me
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #113: Aug 30, 2014 09:14:40 pm
      Agree with many about this being a very tough game.
      This new spurs team isn't your old version at all.
      I can see them getting a fair few scalps this season.
      I just want a solid performance at the back, an energetic midfield that closes them down and a front line constantly moving and looking for each other.
      We are best when we move at pace rather than try and pressure them around the oppositions box looking for an opening.
      Pace pace pace.
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2014 11:21:36 pm by lester76 »
      AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #114: Aug 30, 2014 09:20:51 pm
      Is Moreno is out is Enrique fit? And if both are out whats the options?

1) Can: Played there for his former club at least once and not with huge success. Perhaps followers of the German league could tell us if he played there a few times and how he done

2) Lovern: Left footer. Not a full back though and with Skrtel out moving Lovern would mean a new centre back pairing. If desperate we could do this but it wouldn't be for me!

3) Call up a youth: No idea who and it would be far to big a game to risk it in my view

4) Suso/Lallana....ok its way out there but both are lefties both are intelligent players and both would put a shift in....this is my favourite idea has it would give us more of an attacking mindset. With Lovern there you have a talker who could advise them of positions to take when spurs have the ball. Could it work?

What other possible options do we have other then going 3 at the back?
      Can has played LB more than once and he was really good. He has played CB as well and he plays well in any position that he's asked. He'll be starting before we know it. He just needs to settle a bit more. Can is going to be our best signing this summer. I watched Leverkusen quite a bit last year. I'm huge fan of the Bender brothers. I still wished we would have got Lars Bender.

Quick Reply