Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who should be the new vice-captain?

6. Lovren
      21 (17.5%)
      14. Henderson
      84 (70%)
      15. Sturridge
      2 (1.7%)
      22. Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      37. Skrtel
      11 (9.2%)
      Other... (please specify)
      2 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Poll: The New Vice-Captain?

Read 10397 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: The new Vice-Captain
      Reply #46: Sep 02, 2014 12:04:36 pm
      Skrtel, all day long.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #47: Sep 02, 2014 12:08:43 pm
      Anyone who can't see Lovren is a natural leader is blind.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #48: Sep 02, 2014 01:03:02 pm
      Mine would be be Lovren or Henderson.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #49: Sep 02, 2014 02:05:40 pm
      Anyone who can't see Lovren is a natural leader is blind.
      I understand you're unhappy but there is absolute no need to start accusing people of being United players.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #50: Sep 02, 2014 02:11:44 pm
      Skrtelll
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #51: Sep 02, 2014 03:29:48 pm
      Here's the thing for me about the other candidates mentioned here. The Vice-Captain is meant to be a leader on the pitch, even when the Captain is present and when he's not, the Vice becomes the Captain. So you have to look past time served with us and to leadership qualities. Lovren was brought in because, according to Rodgers, the back line needed Leadership in it, something it's lacked since Carragher retired. If Skrtel possessed such qualities then why the need to bring Lovren in?  Henderson is getting better and better but still goes missing for parts of games. People admit that freely here on this board so it's not something I'm just saying to be critical about him. So you have to ask yourself if having your Captain going missing for parts of games is going to be a good thing? He might be a future Vice-Captain if he improves that area of his game but not right now. He's not ready.

That really just leaves Lallana (former club captain) or Lovren as the potential Vice-Captains. Out of the two I think it will be Lovren because of the aforementioned Leadership at the back. This again counts against Henderson and Lallana because do we really want the Captain and Vice-Captain playing alongside each other? What would that bring to the team? Making Lovren the new VC gives us a like-for-like replacement for Agger who on paper was meant to be the like-for-like replacement for Carragher. It provides a level of continuity I can see Brendan going for so for me, Lovren is the logical choice.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #52: Sep 02, 2014 05:08:26 pm
      Here's the thing for me about the other candidates mentioned here. The Vice-Captain is meant to be a leader on the pitch, even when the Captain is present and when he's not, the Vice becomes the Captain. So you have to look past time served with us and to leadership qualities. Lovren was brought in because, according to Rodgers, the back line needed Leadership in it, something it's lacked since Carragher retired. If Skrtel possessed such qualities then why the need to bring Lovren in?  Henderson is getting better and better but still goes missing for parts of games. People admit that freely here on this board so it's not something I'm just saying to be critical about him. So you have to ask yourself if having your Captain going missing for parts of games is going to be a good thing? He might be a future Vice-Captain if he improves that area of his game but not right now. He's not ready.

That really just leaves Lallana (former club captain) or Lovren as the potential Vice-Captains. Out of the two I think it will be Lovren because of the aforementioned Leadership at the back. This again counts against Henderson and Lallana because do we really want the Captain and Vice-Captain playing alongside each other? What would that bring to the team? Making Lovren the new VC gives us a like-for-like replacement for Agger who on paper was meant to be the like-for-like replacement for Carragher. It provides a level of continuity I can see Brendan going for so for me, Lovren is the logical choice.

nicely said but I think you are overlooking time served with us.  remember the days you played competitive sport... or maybe you still are.  say you are in a team that has been together for awhile.  new guy comes in and coach goes ok he is now the VC.  this new guy doesn't have any or much locker cred with the rest of the lads... and there are definitely going to be some existing players that would think they got overlooked .

the people dynamics is pretty important in this.  I would not be surprised if BR doesn't nominate a VC till deeper into the season.  if that is the case, then yes I agree that lovren could be the best choice.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #53: Sep 02, 2014 05:37:33 pm
      Anyone notice that high five embrace, chest bump thing that the team do before kick off? I've seen it before now and then but I noticed that Lovren seems to be orchestrating it with such passion before each game. The other lads seem to look up to him (but maybe that's just because of the height difference). His performances on the pitch have been exemplary as well. May have to change my vote.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #54: Sep 02, 2014 08:30:16 pm
      nicely said but I think you are overlooking time served with us.  remember the days you played competitive sport... or maybe you still are.  say you are in a team that has been together for awhile.  new guy comes in and coach goes ok he is now the VC.  this new guy doesn't have any or much locker cred with the rest of the lads... and there are definitely going to be some existing players that would think they got overlooked .

the people dynamics is pretty important in this.  I would not be surprised if BR doesn't nominate a VC till deeper into the season.  if that is the case, then yes I agree that lovren could be the best choice.

I know what you mean and I don't disagree, what I'm saying is though that the candidates that have the time served lack the other essential ingredients. If Skrtel was a leader then hands down him. But he's not and he can't be VC simply because he's been with us the longest.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #55: Sep 02, 2014 08:39:06 pm
      Poll added.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Poll: The New Vice-Captain?
      Reply #56: Sep 02, 2014 08:44:16 pm
      Went with Henderson. Shows everything you'd want from a captain. Great example of how hard work pays off, too.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #57: Sep 02, 2014 08:53:33 pm
      Lovren for me due to leadership capabilities at the back. I'd have Hendo take the reigns of Captain when Stevie hangs up his boots.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #58: Sep 02, 2014 10:14:33 pm
      I'd go for Lovren. I think Hendo would be a good option but at the moment he is developing nicely so I'd rather he didn't have the extra pressure just yet. I know Gerrard was made the actual skipper at the same age but Gerrard was a lot more established at that age than what Hendo currently is. Leave Hendo to focus on his game rather than standing in as skipper for another season or 2.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #59: Sep 02, 2014 10:20:21 pm
      I'd go for Lovren. I think Hendo would be a good option but at the moment he is developing nicely so I'd rather he didn't have the extra pressure just yet. I know Gerrard was made the actual skipper at the same age but Gerrard was a lot more established at that age than what Hendo currently is. Leave Hendo to focus on his game rather than standing in as skipper for another season or 2.

But you know its Vice-Captain not really high pressure..just seems strange to have Lovren and VC then once Gerrard retires have Hendo become the Captain and Lovren stays vice-captain.

Maybe it's the ex-military in me but to me one should work their way up the ladder and the logical step for SG's replacement would be whoever the vice-captain was at the time.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #60: Sep 02, 2014 10:30:42 pm
      But you know its Vice-Captain not really high pressure..just seems strange to have Lovren and VC then once Gerrard retires have Hendo become the Captain and Lovren stays vice-captain.

Maybe it's the ex-military in me but to me one should work their way up the ladder and the logical step for SG's replacement would be whoever the vice-captain was at the time.

Think maybe misunderstood me mate. I wasn't saying Hendo become captain when Stevie retires and Lovren stay Vice Captain. When the day comes that Stevie hangs up his boots I expect there would have been a lot of changes at the club because it's still a good few years away but if Hendo keeps improving the way he is then yes I would have him take over but at the same time I wouldn't have a problem with it being Lovren and Hendo VC but we are talking a few years away yet so it's not worth really thinking about yet.

I agree, it's not high pressured but if Gerrard gets injured and misses a load of the season again then it will be, especially with the Champions League. To be honest I don't know if Lovren has any experience of playing in the Champions League, I'd have thought so with being at Lyon but the point I'm making is that Lovren has played International football longer, potentially already played Champions League and seems to have more of a leadership quality about him so I'd rather he stepped in when needed and Hendo just concentrate on playing his football still. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Hendo wouldn't be capable it's just my IMO, wouldn't want him to then having a distraction to his development.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #61: Sep 02, 2014 10:48:05 pm
      Think maybe misunderstood me mate. I wasn't saying Hendo become captain when Stevie retires and Lovren stay Vice Captain. When the day comes that Stevie hangs up his boots I expect there would have been a lot of changes at the club because it's still a good few years away but if Hendo keeps improving the way he is then yes I would have him take over but at the same time I wouldn't have a problem with it being Lovren and Hendo VC but we are talking a few years away yet so it's not worth really thinking about yet.

I agree, it's not high pressured but if Gerrard gets injured and misses a load of the season again then it will be, especially with the Champions League. To be honest I don't know if Lovren has any experience of playing in the Champions League, I'd have thought so with being at Lyon but the point I'm making is that Lovren has played International football longer, potentially already played Champions League and seems to have more of a leadership quality about him so I'd rather he stepped in when needed and Hendo just concentrate on playing his football still. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Hendo wouldn't be capable it's just my IMO, wouldn't want him to then having a distraction to his development.

Makes sense. and don't disagree.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #62: Sep 02, 2014 10:49:52 pm
      Hendo all day long for me.

I'd have given it to him even if Dagger stayed.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #63: Sep 02, 2014 11:34:13 pm
      Got to be Hendo for me. Then when Stevie does retire, promote Jordan to Captain and have Lovren as VC.

I understand why some are saying Lovren now but for me he's just joined and although he's been great since joining it's still too early for him in my opinion but keep playing like he has been and stay loyal to us like Danny Agger and his time will come.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #64: Sep 03, 2014 12:20:00 am
      Baffled as to why Lovren is a preferred choice for so many having played a whopping 4 games for us.

For me captaincy is very strongly tied to loyalty that isn't to discredit all other leadership qualities a captain needs to have in his kit.

This is Martin's 8th season with us been through the high's and low's and 3 different managerial changes, showed examplary character to cement his spot last season after effectively been told he is 4th choice. Let's not forget he only made the line up against United on the 1st September 12 months ago having been relegated to the bench, and never looked back.

Lovren looks to have alot of good leadership qualities and Henderson has been thrown in to the mix on the back of his breakthrough season I know he has captained English teams at youth level but still a bit raw to assume the captaincy not to say he will be a good fit in a few years time.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #65: Sep 03, 2014 12:24:04 am
      Baffled as to why Lovren is a preferred choice for so many having played a whopping 4 games for us.

For me captaincy is very strongly tied to loyalty that isn't to discredit all other leadership qualities a captain needs to have in his kit.

This is Martin's 8th season with us been through the high's and low's and 3 different managerial changes, showed examplary character to cement his spot last season after effectively been told he is 4th choice. Let's not forget he only made the line up against United on the 1st September 12 months ago having been relegated to the bench, and never looked back.

Lovren looks to have alot of good leadership qualities and Henderson has been thrown in to the mix on the back of his breakthrough season I know he has captained English teams at youth level but still a bit raw to assume the captaincy not to say he will be a good fit in a few years time.

It's hard to argue against Skrtel after reading this but, and I say this as one of his biggest fans on here, I just don't see him as a captain.

As I said Hendo all day long for me and that lad is destined to be a captain for us and England.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2014 03:36:19 pm by srslfc »
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #66: Sep 03, 2014 10:16:23 am
      Lovren shouts leader with his whole game.
      Henderson, whilst improved, still looks like he's learning the ropes, esp for his position.
      Infact, we'd signed a Pogba or someone, would Henderson be a guaranteed starter ahead of Gerrard?

Experience and leadership is certainly the weak spot in this team.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #67: Sep 03, 2014 11:20:26 am
      You made me understand why Adam did not throw in a transfer request when he was linked to us. I cannot accept my captain handing in a transfer request.

That said, a captain needs to assume more responsibilities than a normal player, both on and off the field.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #68: Sep 03, 2014 01:31:56 pm
      Gone for Skrtel because I prefer it to be a defender and someone who's been at Liverpool for more than a month.

However, can entirely sympathise with all of you who have gone for Henderson.  What a difference a couple of seasons make eh!

Quick Reply