Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      66 (47.1%)
      Manquillo
      18 (12.9%)
      Lovren
      2 (1.4%)
      Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      9 (6.4%)
      Henderson
      18 (12.9%)
      Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      2 (1.4%)
      Balotelli
      20 (14.3%)
      Lallana
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Borini
      4 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2014 09:49:44 pm

LFC 2-1 Ludogorets Razgrad: In game and Post Match Discussion

Read 40659 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: LFC 2-1 Ludogorets Razgrad: In game and Post Match Discussion
      Reply #552: Sep 16, 2014 10:57:37 pm
      Gave him Man of the Match.
      Lallana and Coutinho should have been taken off at half time.
      Both were very poor tonight.

Agree.

This is now my 5th or 6th time watching Lallana and I'm yet to see anything to show why we've paid so much for him. I really am hoping it's him recovering from his injury but he seems so painfully slow.

Coutinho I think is a mix of a few things, had a great pre-season and got into the Brazil squad then was shoved out on the left and was completely ineffective. That hit his confidence and today he was trying that touch too hard, something doesn't have to happen every time you get the ball, it has to be when it's on and not forced, way too much of the forcing play from him at the moment.

It's resulting in him making terrible decisions and could really do with a couple of games out of the spotlight to reset his mentality.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #553: Sep 16, 2014 10:59:18 pm
      watched on tv.   2-1 result i'm obviously happy with; we'll play a lot better as the season goes on.

is it just me or were the crowd a bit quiet?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #554: Sep 16, 2014 11:01:06 pm
      watched on tv.   2-1 result i'm obviously happy with; we'll play a lot better as the season goes on.

is it just me or were the crowd a bit quiet?

Crowd seemed a lot better than the PL.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #555: Sep 16, 2014 11:01:31 pm
      Agree.

This is now my 5th or 6th time watching Lallana and I'm yet to see anything to show why we've paid so much for him. I really am hoping it's him recovering from his injury but he seems so painfully slow.

Coutinho I think is a mix of a few things, had a great pre-season and got into the Brazil squad then was shoved out on the left and was completely ineffective. That hit his confidence and today he was trying that touch too hard, something doesn't have to happen every time you get the ball, it has to be when it's on and not forced, way too much of the forcing play from him at the moment.

It's resulting in him making terrible decisions and could really do with a couple of games out of the spotlight to reset his mentality.

Don't think Coutinho is as effective out wide.
      Needs to be central. No room in the middle today either and quite often we tried to move into space inside that just wasn't there.
      Lallana I'm hoping is just him recovering from injury because I thought he was much better last season.

Some of the players look like they are coming back from injury or are just not match fit.
      Think it will come in time myself, although I'm not sure Coutinho or Lallana will start when everyone is firing on all cylinders.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #556: Sep 16, 2014 11:13:56 pm
      Mignolet-5
      Manquillo-6
      Lovren-6
      Sakho-6
      Moreno-8
      Gerrard-6
      Henderson-8
      Coutinho-7
      Sterling-7
      Lallana-6
      Balotelli-7
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #557: Sep 16, 2014 11:17:22 pm
      Thought it was a poor performance on the whole, Ballotelli took his goal well, Stevie took penalty well, showing his usual cool touch. Look forward to seeing Sturridge back in the side.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #558: Sep 16, 2014 11:18:18 pm
      Delighted with the win. I had a feeling there might be some of these tough nights where Rodgers needs to adapt to the more cerebral football of the Champions League. We clearly need to start with two strikers up front at West Ham. Even if it's dreadful-first-touch Borini. Playing three like Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling behind Balotelli is failing miserably and we aren't nearly dangerous enough.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #559: Sep 16, 2014 11:20:44 pm
      I do hope we get better competition for Migs.
      Came out for the ball tonight, got caught in two minds and then was nowhere.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #560: Sep 16, 2014 11:46:56 pm
      Much to ponder after that. Big test ahead at weekend.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #561: Sep 16, 2014 11:47:47 pm
      I do hope we get better competition for Migs.
      Came out for the ball tonight, got caught in two minds and then was nowhere.

It won't be competition. We'll sign a better keeper and Mignolet will be on the bench. He is an average keeper in the same way that Sakho is an average centre back and also in the same way that Adam Lallana is an average attacking midfielder.

Sturridge is far away our best player now. Sterling, Hendo and Moreno are also very important though. We should build the team around these four. The rest of the team can be improved on.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #562: Sep 16, 2014 11:49:23 pm
      It won't be competition. We'll sign a better keeper and Mignolet will be on the bench. He is an average keeper in the same way that Sakho is an average centre back and also in the same way that Adam Lallana is an average attacking midfielder.

Sturridge is far away our best player now. Sterling, Hendo and Moreno are also very important though. We should build the team around these four. The rest of the team can be improved on.

New day, new game, same old CoutinhoRed.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #563: Sep 16, 2014 11:50:57 pm
      Mignolet-5
      Manquillo-6
      Lovren-6
      Sakho-6
      Moreno-8
      Gerrard-6
      Henderson-8
      Coutinho-7
      Sterling-7
      Lallana-6
      Balotelli-7

Sakho, Coutinho and Lallana were all fives. Sterling 6.5, Hendo 7 and Moreno 8. Thought Manquillo put on another brave display. Frustrating at times but really gets stuck in. Balotelli was frustrating throughout but he displayed his quality when it mattered.

Where was Markovic today?
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #564: Sep 17, 2014 12:04:30 am
      New day, new game, same old CoutinhoRed.

I enjoy fellas who make such firm reviews game to game. Balotelli is now a squad player after seeing him in a little over 2 matches. :D

Glad we got the win and glad Balo got on the score sheet. It'll help him kick on.

I was only concerned in our balance in attack but I think it was off set by the poor displays on the night from Coutinho and Lallana. They'll improve I am sure of it.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #565: Sep 17, 2014 12:07:07 am
      Quote from Brian78
      We got away with it there we really did, im not 100% sure it was even a peno

The win papers over big big cracks. Lovern with the same error he made against City, Sakho inspires no confidence when near the ball.

Look the win is all important but think bigger then tonight. What would Madrid have done to us. Even our main league rivals would have killed us tonight. We don't have a midfield it can be waltzed through. And for fook sake why did we not close up shop at 1 nil at that stage of the game? Brendan needs to learn when to sit and close things out. If he doesn't then we wont go anywhere.   

Look at the penalty from the reverse angle. Manquillo got taken out clean. Penalty all night long.

Credit to Brendan for shaking things up with the subs, which allowed us to create more chances, and Balotelli's finish was world-class. Credit to the players for sticking at it to the end. We won that penalty, it wasn't luck.

First home win in 5 years tonight. It wasn't pretty but it doesn't matter. The points are in the bag. We will get better as the competition goes on.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #566: Sep 17, 2014 12:08:44 am
      Sakho, Coutinho and Lallana were all fives. Sterling 6.5, Hendo 7 and Moreno 8. Thought Manquillo put on another brave display. Frustrating at times but really gets stuck in. Balotelli was frustrating throughout but he displayed his quality when it mattered.

Where was Markovic today?

Potentially right on them all, Lallana looked good the first 30/40 mins but tailed off quite abit, Sterling much better 2nd half.
      Also Markovic is suspended, for Basel away too, got sent off in EL semi-final last year
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #567: Sep 17, 2014 12:09:17 am
      12 more last minute penalties to win 2-1 and we've won the thing!

Or something.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #568: Sep 17, 2014 12:31:37 am
      I enjoy fellas who make such firm reviews game to game. Balotelli is now a squad player after seeing him in a little over 2 matches. :D

Glad we got the win and glad Balo got on the score sheet. It'll help him kick on.

I was only concerned in our balance in attack but I think it was off set by the poor displays on the night from Coutinho and Lallana. They'll improve I am sure of it.

If we were to rewind time back to last season, you would never pick Balotelli to be a first XI player here. That's nothing to do with any quality he doesn't have, as he's clearly a very talented player. However, you consider his playing style and it would not appear compatible in that system we use to deploy. However things have changed and Rodgers clearly has something else in mind.

And yes, our attack does seem very unbalanced at the minute. I'm not sure Coutinho and Lallana will work well together. We'll have to wait and see. Right now I'm really disappointed in Coutinho. One day he is our best player, the next he is our worse. Early days yet. Will be interesting to see where we are come January.
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #569: Sep 17, 2014 12:40:36 am
      Adam isn't used to our constant pressing and running game. And with his match fitness, it is clearly evident.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #570: Sep 17, 2014 12:45:37 am
      For those criticising Balotelli I think it's a little unfair because his problems where not of his making. Every time he got the ball, against Villa on Saturday and again tonight, three or four players would immediately surround him and prevent him from doing anything with it. When you don't have the trickery that Suarez brought to the team, or the pace you get with Sterling, this is the consequence of playing a single striker. Balotelli needs a strike partner to provide him with space. He likes to hold the ball up and lay it off but not enough players were getting ahead of him, or use his strength to turn a player which is difficult when he's got three more to worry about. We lost Suarez to Barca and we've lost Sturridge to injury and we're trying to squeeze a square peg in to a round hole with Mario were as what we should be doing is finding a system that brings the best out of him.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #571: Sep 17, 2014 12:47:16 am
      How did Lucas play when he came on.. I missed the game.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #572: Sep 17, 2014 12:48:45 am
      If we were to rewind time back to last season, you would never pick Balotelli to be a first XI player here. That's nothing to do with any quality he doesn't have, as he's clearly a very talented player. However, you consider his playing style and it would not appear compatible in that system we use to deploy. However things have changed and Rodgers clearly has something else in mind.

And yes, our attack does seem very unbalanced at the minute. I'm not sure Coutinho and Lallana will work well together. We'll have to wait and see. Right now I'm really disappointed in Coutinho. One day he is our best player, the next he is our worse. Early days yet. Will be interesting to see where we are come January.

Suarez and Sturridge are fine strikers, that is why Balotelli wouldn't get picked. Not hard to figure out mate. If you've spent time watching Balotelli, you will know once he's settled, he can be considered with those 2. He's one of the best link up strikers in the world, and shouldn't be playing alone up front. Wait until we pair him with Sturridge on a good run, and you'll see the rewards.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #573: Sep 17, 2014 12:48:57 am
      For those criticising Balotelli I think it's a little unfair because his problems where not of his making. Every time he got the ball, against Villa on Saturday and again tonight, three or four players would immediately surround him and prevent him from doing anything with it. When you don't have the trickery that Suarez brought to the team, or the pace you get with Sterling, this is the consequence of playing a single striker. Balotelli needs a strike partner to provide him with space. He likes to hold the ball up and lay it off but not enough players were getting ahead of him, or use his strength to turn a player which is difficult when he's got three more to worry about. We lost Suarez to Barca and we've lost Sturridge to injury and we're trying to squeeze a square peg in to a round hole with Mario were as what we should be doing is finding a system that brings the best out of him.

GET IN FABIO BORINI!

ok hes not a world beater, but he puts himself about and makes a nuisance of himself and makes defenders work.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #574: Sep 17, 2014 12:55:26 am
      Suarez and Sturridge are fine strikers, that is why Balotelli wouldn't get picked. Not hard to figure out mate. If you've spent time watching Balotelli, you will know once he's settled, he can be considered with those 2. He's one of the best link up strikers in the world, and shouldn't be playing alone up front. Wait until we pair him with Sturridge on a good run, and you'll see the rewards.

He is a good link up player but you still would not have considered him as the ideal replacement for Luis Suarez. You'd choose someone more dynamic. It's what we were about last season, and Balo is not that. He's trying nonetheless.

Quick Reply