Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match vs West Ham (If possible)

Simon Mignolet
      (2.4%)
      Javi Manquillo
      (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      (0%)
      Steven Gerrard (c)
      (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (1.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (3.7%)
      Fabio Borini
      (4.9%)
      Raheem Sterling
      (53.7%)
      Mario Balotelli
      (17.1%)
      Mamadou Sakho (sub)
      (0%)
      Adam Lallana (sub)
      (14.6%)
      Rickie Lambert (sub)
      (2.4%)

West Ham 3 - 1 Liverpool: In Game & Post Game Shambles.

Read 34442 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: West Ham 3 - 1 Liverpool: In Game & Post Game Shambles.
      Reply #644: Sep 20, 2014 11:23:48 pm
      Try reading what I posted.  I wasn't talking about last season, I was talking about Brendans 1st season.

First off there's no reason to be rude. Secondly, you've clearly misunderstood the point I'm making in that reply. Your point is that we will start flying once Brendan sorts these current issues out, just like we did in that first season, yes? That's not something I disagree with. What I'm arguing is that we shouldn't be in a position needing Brendan to sort anything out because we should have started where we left off last season and hit the ground running. That's what I'm equating to one step forward, (last season), two steps back (now playing like we did two seasons ago). Make sense now?

We always used to say lets look at were we are after the first 6 games. well we have played 6 and have been good in 1 against Spurs.
      Is that the players?,  well we have just spent £100mil on improving the squad. lets hope we don't do a spurs from last season after selling Bale.
      The spine of the team is always a good indicator of how good it is.Mignolet has been poor for sometime now our CB pairings are no better than anytime under Brendan despite spending £40mil or so on them and Stevie is a year older and slower and we have lost Luis.
      That isn't good news and I don't see how we will improve dramatically this side of the new Year.

Not necessarily. First let's look at the defence. We've tried six (I think it was) Centre back partnerships since Brendan took over and we're still as shaky in that department now as we where then. Is that the players or is it down to something else, the lack of a decent Defensive coach perhaps? Then look at our attacking problems. Loosing Sturridge hasn't helped but it's not to blame either. Look at the Spurs game and you'll see crisp one-touch passing, all done at pace, quickly getting the ball in to our forwards. Now that game aside, which other game so far this season have we done that in? We've had a midfield that's consisted of players on the books last year and a midfield consisting of new players and neither has worked so again is that the players or the system? Look at what the opposition is doing and you'll see they're man marking Stevie out of the game for all intents and purposes yet does Brendan do anything to counter that? No, he makes substitutions but none of them help because Stevie can't bring his range of passing to bear so those subs can't get in to the game. Quite simply put, our problems are being caused by a lack of Plan B in matches.

All that being said, the one saving grace for us is that the teams we're competing with for a top four place also have less points than they did at this stage of the season so we're not out of it yet. I doubt anyone here seriously thinks Villa and Southampton will be where they are come May so at least we have a little breathing room.
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2014 11:36:19 pm by 5timesacharm »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #645: Sep 20, 2014 11:36:49 pm
      No great surprise at the result and performance. I had my head in my hands when I saw Lucas long side Gerrard and Skrtel in for Sakho.

I might sound like a broken record but this game was the most clear sign of the lack of cover our back 4 receive from our midfield again like on Tuesday West Ham marching through without a challenge. Not surprising with the lack of mobility stationed there. Maybe we have found Brendan's blind spot.

I don't buy the excuses of new players gelling in and taking time. We only lost one player last season and spent £100M this year to play like relegation contenders?

Brendan needs to man up and make some serious decisions around our midfield and stop tinkering with the back 4, give the lads there some time to play together.

Oh and one last time Gerrard and Lucas together - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

MsGerrard
      Re: Player Ratings v West Ham
      Reply #646: Sep 20, 2014 11:37:06 pm
      I'd give Sterling a 7 and that's all...harsh I know but he's the only one for me who seemed to really try, in attack and in defence.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #647: Sep 21, 2014 12:46:18 am
      It's exactly like we were in Brendans first season, well the first half of it anyway.  We looked like we'd never played together, didn't know what we should be doing, where on the pitch the players were supposed to be or what to do with the ball when we got it.

Brendan now has better quality ingredients, he just needs to sort the right recipe out so he can make the best cake  ;)

True, but our form peaked upwards when we signed Sturridge and Coutinho in January. That might have been a big part in our uprise in form.

Think we need Sturridge back as soon as possible, we lose so much without him.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #648: Sep 21, 2014 04:29:58 am
      Such a poor performance with only Sterling coming out with any credit.

Think the problem is not personnel but the system as our midfield is non non-existant at the moment both in attack and defence. It offers no cover to the defenders and very little creativity to the forwards.

Some massive decisions for Brendan to make now as 3 defeats out of 5 is simply not good enough.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #649: Sep 21, 2014 08:10:58 am
      Feared the worse when seeing Lucas and Gerrard in the middle it doesn't work never has never will sort it out BR.
      The defence looks awful,can't remember who posted that we need a defensive coach and suggested getting steve clarke back ,good shout ASAP.

No
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #650: Sep 21, 2014 08:15:45 am
      My worry is that the bitters will be all over us  next week.

They are 100% better thank AV or WHU. Worrying times.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #651: Sep 21, 2014 08:49:16 am
      Well, that defeat was hard to take. I've had a F***ing gutsful of people laying into Gerrard, it's doing my head in. Every time we lose it's the old ' Gerrard's legs have gone' and the classic ' he can't do it anymore'. This is the same Gerrard that everyone was praising last Season and hanging out of his arse at any opportunity.

We have lots of issues this Season, Gerrard isn't one of them i'm afraid. Our main issue is in defence, it is a massive problem and has been for some time. If Colin Pascoe's boy wasn't courting Brendan's daughter he'd be gone. What the F**k is he doing here? We need to get Steve Clarke back in to sort us out. While i am full of praise for Brendan and his attacking philosophy, it is abundantly clear that there is absolutely no evidence of any defensive nous at all, whether that be from himself or those around him.

It's all well and good scoring goals for fun, that's the football i want to see, but if your defense has more holes in it than an antique F***ing sieve then you may as well try to ice skate up a hill. Mignolet has been F***ing shocking, he has no presence and his distribution is poor. He was kicking balls ten yards short and wide of their targets last night. He has no direct competition and it is showing. If we had a top class keeper here he'd have been dropped by now and he knows it.

Our centre back pairing changes game after game and that's not healthy either, we need consistency to allow partnerships to grow and that's not happening either. Brendan knows who his top 2 centre backs are and he has to stick by that. I'm fully aware we have brought in a lot of new players but we have to play our best team.

Then we have Gerrard, oh i forgot, he's sh*te and he's past it. He's so sh*te that Aston Villa and West Ham went to the trouble of singling him out for special treatment via Agbonlahor and Downing. Why did they do that? F**k me, you would almost think and believe that they saw him as our biggest threat and attempted to nullify him. They wouldn't be that stupid would they, man marking a dinosaur with no legs? Surely not.

There's also the issue of players not stepping up. If the opposition man mark Gerrard out of the game then surely the onus is on the players around him to capitalize on the situation and exploit the space and gaps that this situation creates?

The only time we've looked anywhere near the form of last Season was against Spurs, when we played two up top with Sturridge and Balotelli. With Sturridge out why are we not trying Borini or Lambert up top with Balotelli. We're not stretching defences with the lone striker and opponents are finding it easy going. I'm not a fan of Borini and the fact that we were prepared to offload him to Sunderland or QPR makes the decision to start him all the more  bemusing. He fancies himself as a main striker so why not give him the chance to pair up with Balotelli and see what he brings? It annoyed me that he played Borini on the right side of the trident when we've just signed Markovic, who was on the bench.

Then there was the decision to play Lucas alongside Gerrard and Henderson when we had Lallana on the bench. We were screaming out for creativity but by the time Lallana was introduced it was too late.

Three defeats in five is not the best of starts and i know we will turn this around but we have to start at the back first. We have to tighten up fast with 2-3 games a week, the state of our defence is shambolic. We need healthy competition for Mignolet. We need a defensive coach and we need him fast.

Another problem i think we have is that we've bought too many players and are trying to integrate too many too soon. I'm confident we'll put it right but for now we have much bigger concerns than Gerrard, much bigger
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #652: Sep 21, 2014 09:09:48 am
      I painstakingly watched through large parts of the last few games last night (while the mrs watched X factor)..  For me the best partnership at the back is Lovren/Sakho but as much as I don't really like picking one out the keeper doesn't suit the way we are trying to play..

Brendan as we know is an attacking front thinking manager, his signings at Full back have if anything enhanced that this season.. And both Lovren and Sakho are front front dominant type centre backs, who like to win everything ( hence a couple of occasions they have gone for the same header, but that can only be ironed out by playing together regularly) they both as a pair want to play 10-20 yards higher up the pitch and squeeze the game and not leave gaps for us to be countered on as much, but the problem being Mignolet doesn't like playing high as a keeper, isn't comfortable with his feet or sweeping behind, so we are left with the cbs and keeper either too far apart or one noticing and dropping in to bridge the gap then having space in front. The goal against Ludogorets doesn't happen if they all play the same way.. Moreno doesn't look as exposed as the gap behind isn't so big, Sakho doesn't have to rush out and lunge in as he would be naturally higher and the keepers starting point is better.

I'm afraid the biggest problem we are having at the back is the players to suit the system rather than the system itself
      Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #653: Sep 21, 2014 09:29:12 am
      I don't think we have made sufficient allowance for just how awesome Luis was. The whole team needs to give more and up the tempo which was pedestrian at times. Lambert scored 12 last season in the PL and made a similar amount so how in the name of God does Borini get the nod .

I guess because Brendan wanted to play Balotelli and you cannot play him and Lambert together. I would actually like to see SterlIng given a run up top with Balotelli or Lambert if we are going to play with two strikers.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #654: Sep 21, 2014 09:42:31 am
      I guess because Brendan wanted to play Balotelli and you cannot play him and Lambert together. I would actually like to see SterlIng given a run up top with Balotelli or Lambert if we are going to play with two strikers.
      They will have to train harder. I see videos of them playing head tennis in training. How does that help our passage of play?
      Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #655: Sep 21, 2014 09:49:44 am
      They will have to train harder. I see videos of them playing head tennis in training. How does that help our passage of play?

That is just the sort of thing that get taped and put up online fella, you don't actually think that's what they do in training? As for why they can't play together, they can't because they are in many ways the same player. They want and need to be in the box, both good in the air, both good with back to goal, both happy to drop a bit deeper and link play, both have a decent shot on them, both lacking mobility and agility. No amount of training together will make them a good partnership. Maybe in the 80s it could have worked when everyone played 4-4-2 and English football was all about getting the ball wide, whipping in crosses at every opportunity but that is not how we are set up to play. Unfortunately it is how we have been playing the last couple of games. I've never seen so many hopeful crosses from an LFC side under Brendan.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #656: Sep 21, 2014 09:55:58 am
      I don't buy the excuses of new players gelling in and taking time. We only lost one player last season and spent £100M this year to play like relegation contenders?

Not to mention the fact that West Ham had 5, count 'em, FIVE new players in their starting XI---we only had four.

Yet they seemed to play just fine without needing "time to gel."
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #657: Sep 21, 2014 09:56:20 am

Probably to help their aerial composure. Seems Sakho needs to play it more.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #658: Sep 21, 2014 10:06:02 am

haha.

it's the head tennis that makes the difference between first and second!
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #659: Sep 21, 2014 10:06:13 am
      Disappointment mounting with every game
       could not stand watching the whole game yesterday
       just switched off tv  and went out half way through the second half , hoping to hear good news later , but heard on radio while driving that WH scored again, and spoiled my night out
        Nervie game coming in midweek , even if its against Middlesboro , and the game after? I really don't want to think about it

something has to be done esp. defensively , we are tackling set pieces as school boys
       I think gerrard as much better when he plays  more advanced if I am honest, a strong and reliable DM is a big  big  must,
       Not pointing fingers on any player ,  Mignolet is very good goal line keeper, but lack box commanding and distribution
       very poor passing all around the pitch, seems NO one is concentrated enough , panicking when pressed
        Not giving up hope yet, but its important LIVERPOOL bounce back , and FAST

YNWA

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #660: Sep 21, 2014 10:08:48 am
      What a disgrace performance, I don't want to attack players. We're not tennis, individual performance. We are a team. But I have to say it that only Sterling was good and Balotelli and Lallana were decent.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #661: Sep 21, 2014 10:20:49 am
      Some are slating Rodgers
      well his style took us close to win it , just 4 months ago
      I guess he is still trying to play with the same plan, but for some reason its not working
      Yes we lost Suarez, but we won many games without him too
       I say  nearly all the squad is off form ,
       hoping we solve this form problem very soon , simply we cant continue underperform
        YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #662: Sep 21, 2014 10:26:43 am
      Love the way that Steve Clarke becomes this defensive messiah every time our defence has a shocker.

As Zola said, although we train always with the ball every great defence needs to know how to defend when you haven't got the ball.

And I can't understand why Rodgers is so adamant that Stevie plays that deep role especially when Lucas is in the same pitch, something that should never happen by the way.

Can't believe I'm going to say this but we're missing Joe Allen. Also the depth that Can offers whilst Sturridge will change things dramatically but how worrying is the possibility of Sturridge getting a more long term injury? Signings like Lambert and none signings like Remy will be found out to be right or wrong very, very quickly.

Found it very interesting again to see Borini, the man we wanted to sell so much, get the nod (again) ahead of Lambert the man we signed on the cheap. Does make you wonder whether Rodgers was actually the one calling all of the shots in the Summer.

We need to improve as a defensive unit quick smart and hope that our strikers and other players that seem indispensable to our style of play remain injury free because it's starting to look as though there are areas that can quite easily be destroyed by injury regardless of all the squad strengthening we allegedly done.

Big week at Melwood this week.
      rossyred

• 9,260 posts | 1659 
      Reply #663: Sep 21, 2014 10:27:06 am
      1. Suarez missed so much highlighted more when Balotelli plays as he needs the ball getting to him early which we didnt do as much .
      2. Joe Allen WILL become very important for us very underrated whereas think Henderson is rated to high by most.
      3. New signings not gelled yet and will see if we have paid over the odds  or just need more time. Lovren is not a leader and was bought to lead which is different.
      4. Keeper inspires no confidence and was involved in both goals. Valdes a must asap
      5. Sorry to say that im afraid Stevie G needs a spell on side his lack of influence and delivery at times poor.
      6. If we have improved our squad so much how does Borini and Lucas get in , appreciate injuries but BR wanted borini out and bought lambert but plays in front of him .
      7. Not pressing nearly half as well as usual see point 1 reg loss of suarez.
      8.Some signings are worries Lovren, Can wont keep up with demands unless he gets fitter and more mobile .
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #664: Sep 21, 2014 10:33:46 am
      Well, that defeat was hard to take. I've had a f**king gutsful of people laying into Gerrard, it's doing my head in. Every time we lose it's the old ' Gerrard's legs have gone' and the classic ' he can't do it anymore'. This is the same Gerrard that everyone was praising last Season and hanging out of his arse at any opportunity.

We have lots of issues this Season, Gerrard isn't one of them i'm afraid. Our main issue is in defence, it is a massive problem and has been for some time. If Colin Pascoe's boy wasn't courting Brendan's daughter he'd be gone. What the f**k is he doing here? We need to get Steve Clarke back in to sort us out. While i am full of praise for Brendan and his attacking philosophy, it is abundantly clear that there is absolutely no evidence of any defensive nous at all, whether that be from himself or those around him.

It's all well and good scoring goals for fun, that's the football i want to see, but if your defense has more holes in it than an antique f**king sieve then you may as well try to ice skate up a hill. Mignolet has been f**king shocking, he has no presence and his distribution is poor. He was kicking balls ten yards short and wide of their targets last night. He has no direct competition and it is showing. If we had a top class keeper here he'd have been dropped by now and he knows it.

Our centre back pairing changes game after game and that's not healthy either, we need consistency to allow partnerships to grow and that's not happening either. Brendan knows who his top 2 centre backs are and he has to stick by that. I'm fully aware we have brought in a lot of new players but we have to play our best team.

Then we have Gerrard, oh i forgot, he's sh*te and he's past it. He's so sh*te that Aston Villa and West Ham went to the trouble of singling him out for special treatment via Agbonlahor and Downing. Why did they do that? F**k me, you would almost think and believe that they saw him as our biggest threat and attempted to nullify him. They wouldn't be that stupid would they, man marking a dinosaur with no legs? Surely not.

There's also the issue of players not stepping up. If the opposition man mark Gerrard out of the game then surely the onus is on the players around him to capitalize on the situation and exploit the space and gaps that this situation creates?

The only time we've looked anywhere near the form of last Season was against Spurs, when we played two up top with Sturridge and Balotelli. With Sturridge out why are we not trying Borini or Lambert up top with Balotelli. We're not stretching defences with the lone striker and opponents are finding it easy going. I'm not a fan of Borini and the fact that we were prepared to offload him to Sunderland or QPR makes the decision to start him all the more  bemusing. He fancies himself as a main striker so why not give him the chance to pair up with Balotelli and see what he brings? It annoyed me that he played Borini on the right side of the trident when we've just signed Markovic, who was on the bench.

Then there was the decision to play Lucas alongside Gerrard and Henderson when we had Lallana on the bench. We were screaming out for creativity but by the time Lallana was introduced it was too late.

Three defeats in five is not the best of starts and i know we will turn this around but we have to start at the back first. We have to tighten up fast with 2-3 games a week, the state of our defence is shambolic. We need healthy competition for Mignolet. We need a defensive coach and we need him fast.

Another problem i think we have is that we've bought too many players and are trying to integrate too many too soon. I'm confident we'll put it right but for now we have much bigger concerns than Gerrard, much bigger

;D, there you go again banging the Colin Pascoe drum.

You have NO idea what he contributes to the coaching setup and his input was good enough to see us playing some of the best attacking football in Europe last year and narrowly missing out on the league.

But no, in your fevered little mind all our problems are down to Colin F***ing Pascoe.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #665: Sep 21, 2014 10:35:04 am
      1. Suarez missed so much highlighted more when Balotelli plays as he needs the ball getting to him early which we didnt do as much .

He would have been banned anyway so you might as well talk about how Kenny Dalglish in his pomp would have helped Balotelli.

Luis has gone. He wanted to go last year and we hung onto him then, just. No way could we have done it again. Wish people would just F**k off with the 'if Luis was still here' bullshit.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #666: Sep 21, 2014 10:36:18 am
      ;D, there you go again banging the Colin Pascoe drum.

You have NO idea what he contributes to the coaching setup

Well.  To be fair, it is a good question.

What *does* Colin Pascoe do exactly?

Quick Reply