Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 123432 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #598: Jan 20, 2015 12:38:27 pm

Will Southampton lose 6+ games in their next 16? I'm not quite sure.

No chance. Unless Schneiderlin adds to their injuries list.

We should allow ourselves to lose 3 games in our next 16 which is quite realistic, therefore we need Southampton to lose at least 6.

Cant allow ourselves to lose 3 more mate. That would be 10 lost, to get 72 points then we would need 37 points from 13 games 2.86ppg. No chance. Best we can ask for is max 1 more loss 15games to get 37 points is 2.46ppg....

It aint looking good at all. I know everyone keeps saying we are 5 points off but we have a HORRIBLE Feb.
      We are in 4 competitions.
      No Striker - 1 due back.
      Arsenal are hitting form.
      UTD have 1 game a week.
      Southampton have conceded the least goals.
      Weekends like last will keep happening where the teams we need to drop wont, and weekends will happen were we drop points.

Im afraid its a no chance saloon for me. Will know for sure end of Feb.

In piss poor form today sorry lads.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #599: Jan 20, 2015 12:51:12 pm
      Add those 34 points to the 35 we've already got, would 69 points be enough for 4th?
      I'm not sure that any of your Maths works out Billy, (especially 'medium') but I reckon, this season, 69 points will be enough for anyone to finish fourth.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #600: Jan 20, 2015 02:37:30 pm
      I still say we can get there. We're still in the conversation despite our one true goalscorer being out for all but 3 league fixtures -- which we won 2 of. We're bound to improve a lot more once Sturridge is back to 100 percent.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #601: Jan 20, 2015 02:41:11 pm
      I'm not sure that any of your Maths works out Billy, (especially 'medium') but I reckon, this season, 69 points will be enough for anyone to finish fourth.

All this number of points or that number of points is an over complication of the situation. One point more than fifth place or a better goal difference is all that's needed. The problem is recovering ground on those above us when we have a very tough fixture list period over the next six weeks or so. We need to match or better their results and beat them in the head to heads. Realistically we can only afford to drop six points given our current position in the table - City and Chelsea, because we're not catching them. That means going on a fourteen match winning streak. That number of games we need to win reduces if we win those head to heads. The actual number of points is largely irrelevant.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #602: Jan 20, 2015 03:13:02 pm
      no one has consistency, thats why everyone’s fighting for 3rd and 4th are fighting for those positions, otherwise they’d be top!

We just need to be more constant than we have been. No one has is sewn up…

All to play for…
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #603: Jan 20, 2015 04:30:21 pm
      All this number of points or that number of points is an over complication of the situation.
      Gotcha but then...

Realistically we can only afford to drop six points...
      ... If the number of points is an over complication then saying we can only afford to drop 6 of the wee fuckers (and must end the season on 77 points) is contradictory.

Surely (going on your, first, theory), we can afford to lose only as many as it takes to finish above the team that ends up 5th - be that 6 or 16?

My brain hurts  :dunceblock:

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #604: Jan 20, 2015 05:21:45 pm
      Forget about everyone else, just finish above Arsenal. To do that, we will probably need to win at the Emirates or at least not get beat there. I do think people planning ahead 16 games is a bit of a pointless exercise, there's absolutely ages to go yet.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #605: Jan 20, 2015 06:22:00 pm
      Neil Atkinson often says on TAW about quality foreign players coming in and at some point realising that 70% of the players and team in this league are sh*te and they can do what they want to them. He said recently that Markovic looks to be working that out.

I tend to agree with him

To get top 4 in this league you essentially need to be a flat track bully and consistent against that sh*te..

To win the league you have to do that and best your rivals who aren't sh*te

Agree.

Like we were last season Jon. We went out and destroyed most of the lower teams in the league.

Hears Atkinson talk about that as well and it was a great point. Some players come into the league, especially when they're young, think its going to be so tough then all of a sudden realise have the league is sh*te and they are far better than the opposition.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #606: Jan 20, 2015 06:32:50 pm
      There are 16 games left and we are 7 points behind Southampton. I do think they'll run out of steam and drop off but lets assume they won't.

Southampton beat us and they're finishing above us.  That's my view.  Also applies equally to United and Arsenal.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #607: Jan 20, 2015 07:39:29 pm
      I think Arsenal will be 3rd come May and Southampton will fight with us, Utd and maybe Spurs for 4th.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #608: Jan 31, 2015 05:45:46 pm
      16 points from 18. 2.66ppg. Continue this form at the end of feb and we will be in 5th position for sure with only a small gap on 3rd and 4th... if not in one of those positions. 2.66 x 3 games = 7-9 points. 2wins against Saints and Spuds will defo secure 5th maybe 4th.

Compared to last season; We are -24 'Goals For' behind last season but +1 'Goals Against' ahead of last season. Some progress? 8 points behind though. Still progress.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #609: Jan 31, 2015 09:43:06 pm
      Its going to be a massive four games coming up: Everton (Away), Spurs (Home), Southampton (Away), Man City (Home). I'm confident we can beat Everton and Spurs but not 100% with the other two. It seems Sturridge has come back to fitness at just the right time though. 30 minute cameos in those games and we should pick up a few points for sure.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #610: Feb 01, 2015 06:33:24 pm
      Only 4 points of 4th now! Does anyone still it can't be done? WE WILL GET FORTH!
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #611: Feb 01, 2015 06:38:35 pm
      Only 4 points of 4th now! Does anyone still it can't be done? WE WILL GET FORTH!
      Or 3rd maybe.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #612: Feb 01, 2015 06:54:56 pm
      I think Arsenal will be 3rd come May and Southampton will fight with us, Utd and maybe Spurs for 4th.

Southampton will be out of the top 4 race by then it will be between us, spuds and the scum.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #613: Feb 01, 2015 07:18:39 pm

It's mad that the teams around us are all in good form though. F**k sake.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #614: Feb 01, 2015 07:54:02 pm
      It's mad that the teams around us are all in good form though. F**k sake.

Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal are all in great form.
      Almost a question of how many will pass United for 3rd and 4th.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #615: Feb 01, 2015 10:09:21 pm
      I'll tentatively vote yes, not so much about Sturridge, although his return will be a massive plus. I think it's more about our defence improving almost beyond comparison.
      Yeah other teams around is or in a spot of decent form, but I think our renewed belief and consistency will slowly grind them down.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #616: Feb 01, 2015 10:26:48 pm
      Looking at the next 7 fixtures, I'm not worried one jot. Just glad we've got them now while we're in a good run of form, rather than 6-7 weeks ago when we were utter crap.
      We showed against plastics we are capable of beating anyone, if only we had a striker. And now we have !
      The decline has started, Saints lost to swans today, so we're 3 Points closer to them over the weekend.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #617: Feb 02, 2015 09:45:40 am
      This month is crucial and we need to take maximum points if we are to finish top 4 IMO.  Starting with Saturday, we must beat Everton.

Spurs host Arsenal this weekend so points will be dropped somewhere. Hopefully they draw so both of them drop two points. United go to West Ham which isn't easy and Saints go to QPR who are actually alright at home too. I can see all four of those clubs dropping points.

The midweek games see us host spurs, a great opportunity for us to gain 3 points and stop Tottenham having any. Arsenal host Leicester which is 3 points, Man u host Burnley which is 3 points and Southampton host West Ham which should be 3 points too. So a win against Spurs is an absolute must.

The following weekend we go to Southampton. Another head to head with a top 4 candidate so again 3 points is vital. Arsenal go to Palace and United go to Swansea, expecting both to get 3 points. Spurs host West Ham and I can see that being a draw. Spurs will be out the running by then.

Just call me Einstein but the answer is to keep winning games. But in all seriousness, how we perform this month will ultimately determine whether we finish top 4. Come out with 9 points then its ours for the taking. 7 and we are still in contention. Anything less and we're out the running.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #618: Feb 02, 2015 10:33:29 am
      Looking at the next 7 fixtures, I'm not worried one jot. Just glad we've got them now while we're in a good run of form, rather than 6-7 weeks ago when we were utter crap.
      We showed against plastics we are capable of beating anyone, if only we had a striker. And now we have !
      The decline has started, Saints lost to swans today, so we're 3 Points closer to them over the weekend.

And yet we lost both matches...
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #619: Feb 02, 2015 10:37:02 am

Technically we drew both

However I do lean to your way of thinking, we didn't win the tie but what we showed and what we have shown in recent weeks shows us there is plenty to hold on to
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #620: Feb 02, 2015 10:49:20 am
      Said it before but we are like the footballing equivalent of Lennow Lewis; can knock anyone out but have a glass jaw.

Although that leads to exciting matches the only way to achieve regular success is to achieve consistency and teh best way to do that is to play intelligently.

We have teh squad to achieve 4th - the final result will come down to how the leaders on the pitch can apply their game intelligence.

Quick Reply