Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

£120m - what would you have done?

Read 13298 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: £120m - what would you have done?
      Reply #115: Nov 27, 2014 01:44:46 pm
      This is the question I raised in the other thread - how do we improve our scouting so we predict which players will end up being successful?

So far, hindsight seems to play a big part in everyone's decisions.

The answer is what I've posted in another thread. The club needs to conduct an audit in to its transfer operations. Without knowing where the problem lies, the problem cannot be fixed. It may be scouts, it may be image, it maybe managerial decision making, it could be wage issue, it could be all manner of things but until its investigated the club will never know. Forget football for the moment, it's just plain business sense because the current strategy is not working and we cannot keep spending these levels of money and have no return on investment so as business people it's in their own interests to do this.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #116: Nov 27, 2014 02:09:31 pm
      The more I see Alexis Sanchez carry Arsenal through the season, the more he reminds me of Luis Suarez. He's probably the closest thing we could have got to a Luis Suarez, for a fraction of the price, yet we still managed to screw it up. I'm not buying this 'want to live in London nonsense.' If we really wanted him that badly, we would have gotten him.

Who would now pay £40m for him and £200k per week?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #117: Nov 27, 2014 02:20:54 pm
      The more I see Alexis Sanchez carry Arsenal through the season, the more he reminds me of Luis Suarez. He's probably the closest thing we could have got to a Luis Suarez, for a fraction of the price, yet we still managed to screw it up. I'm not buying this 'want to live in London nonsense.' If we really wanted him that badly, we would have gotten him.

Was my first choice as soon as the season ended. Wanted him along side Suarez, but with Suarez leaving and Sanchez rejecting us, we had more than enough time to find a suitable target, whether it would be 5m or a 40m replacement, I'm 100% sure there are players out there capable of filling that void left by Suarez.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #118: Nov 27, 2014 02:24:13 pm

Exactly. FFS it's Arsenal that signed him not Bayern, Real, PSG or City even! We had £75 million of the Suarez money to spend on a replacement striker. We should have submitted a £40 million bid for Sanchez plus £200k per week. We would be in far better shape with a player of his caliber up top. And at only 25 still hasn't reached his full potential he will be worth £40 million minimum in three years time! We don't try hard enough as a club to secure top tier players. How are we ever supposed to progress to the next level as a regular top 4 side competing for the title if we don't get the players to take us there. This club is living in the potential future not the now! We can take the piss out of the scum all we like but at least they are living in the now this season and addressing some of their problems by signing world class players who will make a difference and get them in to the top 4 again!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #119: Nov 27, 2014 02:34:24 pm
      Was my first choice as soon as the season ended. Wanted him along side Suarez, but with Suarez leaving and Sanchez rejecting us, we had more than enough time to find a suitable target, whether it would be 5m or a 40m replacement, I'm 100% sure there are players out there capable of filling that void left by Suarez.

We could have signed Sanchez but our small club mentality didn't allow it to materialise. We offered £3 million more than Arsenal. We should have offered £10 million more than arsenal we had just sold our star player to Barca for £75 million FFS. How could we not make signing Sanchez part of the deal?? Instead we sign a joker of a striker to replace Luis. I just don't f**king know!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #120: Nov 27, 2014 02:42:12 pm
      Exactly. FFS it's Arsenal that signed him not Bayern, Real, PSG or City even! We had £75 million of the Suarez money to spend on a replacement striker. We should have submitted a £40 million bid for Sanchez plus £200k per week. We would be in far better shape with a player of his caliber up top. And at only 25 still hasn't reached his full potential he will be worth £40 million minimum in three years time! We don't try hard enough as a club to secure top tier players. How are we ever supposed to progress to the next level as a regular top 4 side competing for the title if we don't get the players to take us there. This club is living in the potential future not the now! We can take the piss out of the scum all we like but at least they are living in the now this season and addressing some of their problems by signing world class players who will make a difference and get them in to the top 4 again!

We could have played hardball with Barca as well telling them no Sanchez, no Suarez and have them lean on him to come to us. As per usual we meekly caved in without putting up much of a fight.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #121: Nov 27, 2014 02:55:16 pm
      We could have played hardball with Barca as well telling them no Sanchez, no Suarez and have them lean on him to come to us. As per usual we meekly caved in without putting up much of a fight.
      This is how much we wanted the Suraez money. We are an asset management company where players, not stocks and shares, are expected to generate a return. You sell your overvalued players for a profit, then recycle capital into potential world class players (undervalued gems). If it works, we'll generate 3x money every year, if players take turns to peak. Who needs to win things?

FSG: What would you expect us to do with Luis Suraez? Depreciate him till his value reaches zero? £75m is peak valuation and a good trade for >3x money. We are investors. Not soccer fans. Most of all, we'll get the club's revenue growing (sponsorship, more seats, higher ticket prices), then sell the club for 2x money, a handsome profit.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #122: Nov 27, 2014 02:55:58 pm
      We could have signed Sanchez but our small club mentality didn't allow it to materialise. We offered £3 million more than Arsenal. We should have offered £10 million more than arsenal we had just sold our star player to Barca for £75 million FFS. How could we not make signing Sanchez part of the deal?? Instead we sign a joker of a striker to replace Luis. I just don't f**king know!

Agree.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #123: Nov 27, 2014 03:25:11 pm
      This is how much we wanted the Suraez money. We are an asset management company where players, not stocks and shares, are expected to generate a return. You sell your overvalued players for a profit, then recycle capital into potential world class players (undervalued gems). If it works, we'll generate 3x money every year, if players take turns to peak. Who needs to win things?

FSG: What would you expect us to do with Luis Suraez? Depreciate him till his value reaches zero? £75m is peak valuation and a good trade for >3x money. We are investors. Not soccer fans. Most of all, we'll get the club's revenue growing (sponsorship, more seats, higher ticket prices), then sell the club for 2x money, a handsome profit.

This is basically it. They are taking 100s of millions off us, the fans.

I no longer see any form of return on my own personal investment of buying season tickets.
      Accordingly, I'm knocking it on the head til they are gone.

Hopefully more fans will see the con trick. By then we can rid ourselves of the disease before its too late.

As things stand, yesterday was very reminiscent of the sh*te served up in the Sourness era.
      No wonder Mick Marsh feels at home back here..

To hear Rodgers call Ludogorets a "tough team" had me shaking my head in disbelief.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #124: Nov 27, 2014 03:27:36 pm
      This is basically it. They are taking 100s of millions off us, the fans.

I no longer see any form of return on my own personal investment of buying season tickets.
      Accordingly, I'm knocking it on the head til they are gone.

Hopefully more fans will see the con trick. By then we can rid ourselves of the disease before its too late.

As things stand, yesterday was very reminiscent of the sh*te served up in the Sourness era.
      No wonder Mick Marsh feels at home back here..

To hear Rodgers call Ludogorets a "tough team" had me shaking my head in disbelief.
      I'm with you plant, I won't be buying season tickets either!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #125: Nov 27, 2014 05:24:24 pm
      Should have put the house on Sanchez.
      fu**ed it up.
      No properly planned out second option.

Accountancy FC.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #126: Nov 27, 2014 06:18:44 pm
      I'm with you plant, I won't be buying season tickets either!

Because you'd have to travel from Florida each week?  ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #127: Nov 27, 2014 07:20:06 pm
      Because you'd have to travel from Florida each week?  ;)

Well yeah, but still! :D
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #128: Nov 27, 2014 07:21:33 pm
      It's easy after the event but I was saying this sort of thing in the summer, the money that we have wasted has been criminal but why are  managers not accountable for the money they spend or players they bring in.

£7m a piece Aspas/Alberto now out on loan
      £10.5m Borini on loan last year, doesn't play now
      £20m Lovren ,Agger sold for £3m
      £26m Lallana (like him but not worth that money)
      £20m Markovic and have Ibe out on loan and Suso sitting on his arse.

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #129: Nov 27, 2014 07:23:34 pm
      It's easy after the event but I was saying this sort of thing in the summer, the money that we have wasted has been criminal but why are  managers not accountable for the money they spend or players they bring in.

£7m a piece Aspas/Alberto now out on loan
      £10.5m Borini on loan last year, doesn't play now
      £20m Lovren ,Agger sold for £3m
      £26m Lallana (like him but not worth that money)
      £20m Markovic and have Ibe out on loan and Suso sitting on his arse.

Well according to the Sky commentator yesterday (and lets face it they usually have their heads up owners arses)
      the Summer signings were all the result of the dreaded "transfer committee" and not nec Rodgers fault.

Its always been my view that Fenway have been foisting Soccernomics crap on managers via their committee.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #130: Nov 27, 2014 07:35:19 pm
      My 120m

10m on another keeper to at least give some competition (or kept Pepe)
      20m max on Lallana
      7m Alonso
      12m Moreno
      7m De Jong (or similar)
      10m Milner
      4m Lambert
      50m Benzema, Eto'o free

Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #131: Nov 27, 2014 07:42:11 pm
      Well according to the Sky commentator yesterday (and lets face it they usually have their heads up owners arses)
      the Summer signings were all the result of the dreaded "transfer committee" and not nec Rodgers fault.

Its always been my view that Fenway have been foisting Soccernomics crap on managers via their committee.

I suppose I already new the answer to my question regarding the manager, but I'm frustrated at how a club can just waste millions, whether that be Rodgers, Ayre or a group of people. It should be down to the manager then you stand or fall by your decisions. Buying players based upon sell on value is a recipe for disaster.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #132: Nov 27, 2014 08:13:23 pm

Even Didi Hamann was saying last night how Rodgers does not have full control over who the club signs but he knew that before he accepted the job. He can recommend players he would like and the committee will decide if they fit into their model or not. Their model being to buy young potential on low wages as long term investments. This model is crippling us this season.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,244 posts | 1652 
      Reply #133: Nov 27, 2014 08:16:09 pm
      What? Where did you read that nonsense? We bought him for £16 million.

heard this again off another source
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #134: Nov 27, 2014 08:20:49 pm
      Laughable to see lads arguing about Alexis Sanchez. You do realise we'd still be a sham of a team with him because our goalkeeper and defenders are a fooking joke

We conceded crazy goals last year cost us big time but to solve it we buy a centre half who looks out of his depth and 2 kids from Spain. Great teams build from the back they say. They are right I say
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #135: Nov 27, 2014 08:41:29 pm
      Sanchez didnt even want to come. Its a void argument.

I dont blame him. Would you want to be the direct replacement for Suarez? How do you live up to that?

Costa didnt want to come either. I dunno why people keep posting them ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #136: Nov 27, 2014 09:06:30 pm

I dont blame him. Would you want to be the direct replacement for Suarez? How do you live up to that?

Why wouldn't he? If you have any ambition as a player, you'd want to prove that you are just as good as, if not better then the Elite and Suarez is Elite.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #137: Nov 27, 2014 09:10:19 pm
      Not entirely sure whether I agree with the above two posts.

This is Liverpool football club. We really shouldn't be struggling to attract relatively big names. It's strange how all of a sudden no one wants to join LFC. What I really think it is is wages. I think the player has an idea of the wages he'd be offered, and instead of saying "No, what they are offering me is appalling".. it'd work better if they made up some lame excuse instead.

Big stars play in Manchester, so why not Liverpool?

Quick Reply