Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Sterling as a centre forward the solution?

Read 7823 times
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: Sterling as a centre forward the solution?
      Reply #69: Dec 22, 2014 12:06:08 pm
      However when he said "Liverpool are very strong and tough to score against" in his interview when he signed for the club I'm worried  fingers crossed

Haha, many footballers with less iq then the number of notches on their bed post have become a success. Let's not judge those less fortunate...
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #70: Dec 22, 2014 03:26:59 pm
      I thought yesterday highlighted the negative aspect of having Sterling as a #9. Despite making good runs, he wasn't that involved. Remember first game of the season, Sturridge was largely anonymous but his only major contribution was to score that winning goal? unfortunately, that as we all know can be the life of a striker.

Did anyone else feel playing our talisman further back and bringing on Borini to allow Sterling ball time made us more of a goal threat? I think it did. With Borini suspended for 1 match, I would keep Sterling as a #9 until Borini is back, then I would move Sterling in the #10 role.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #71: Dec 22, 2014 03:57:15 pm
      Yeah Raheem will never really impose himself enough to be a consistent threat up front. Strongest team for mine is:

Lucas

Gerrard     Can

Coutinho

Lallana     Sterling

OR:

Lucas

Gerrard     Coutinho

Lallana     Sterling     Markovic

This spell up front might benefit us and Raheem in the long run though, as he'll learn a new aspect to his game. But he clearly isn't the solution. Neither is Rickie, Fabio or Mario (sounds like an Italian mob gang) and the only one i have faith in finding the net is Rickie who doesn't fit in to the team.

We have to stick this one out, pray Sturridge gets back soon and lament the poor business we made in the summer finding a replacement for Suarez.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #72: Dec 22, 2014 04:24:58 pm
      (Skrtel as centre forward did you say ?)

In all seriousness ..... there was a forum member on here who put the Sterling playing in front of Lallana and Coutinho idea about a month ago as an alternative solution.
      Cant remember who posted it.

This forum seems well read ...

Think that was me when talking about going for a false 9 formation.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #73: Dec 22, 2014 04:32:17 pm

We have to stick this one out, pray Sturridge gets back soon and lament the poor business we made in the summer finding a replacement for Suarez.

There was no attempt at replacing Suarez.
      JWH's statement/mantra about not paying what he thought excessive for signings saw to that.
      Prompts the question how can somebody who knows F**k all about soccer make such a complex judgement?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #74: Dec 22, 2014 04:35:00 pm

Absolutely.
      No genuine attempt.

Disgraceful, and not befitting of a club that seriously harbours ambitions to succeed at the top level.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #75: Dec 22, 2014 04:53:39 pm

Disgraceful, and not befitting of a club that seriously harbours ambitions to succeed at the top level.

Is correct of course mate, it must be asked 'tho if that aspiration exists at the highest levels of the club.
      Those words are a contradiction to the wishes of every true Liverpool supporter. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #76: Dec 22, 2014 05:36:35 pm
      Seeing as we didn't start negotiations over Sanchez until Barcelona tabled a bid for Suarez, I'd say Sanchez was supposed to be the Suarez replacement.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #77: Dec 22, 2014 05:58:59 pm
      Seeing as we didn't start negotiations over Sanchez until Barcelona tabled a bid for Suarez, I'd say Sanchez was supposed to be the Suarez replacement.

Most definitely the case, but when that failed fairly early on how did it end up being Mario Balotelli as our back up choice so far down the line in the window?

Complete mess of a situation. The whole committee fu**ed up big time.

JWH's statement/mantra about not paying what he thought excessive for signings saw to that.
      Prompts the question how can somebody who knows F**k all about soccer make such a complex judgement?

Stuey, mate, I'm sick of seeing this comment over and over. We bid for Sanchez 35 million so the money was there. It's not his job to make decisions on players. It is Ayre, the scouting team and Brendan. JWH doesn't know who half the players were we signed. He and the rest of FSG just sign the cheques.

Do you think he ran the rule over signing Can, Markovic and Moreno etc? He didn't know who the hell they were. But he signed the cheques which totalled nearly 50 million pounds for the three of them because the people in charge said they're worth it.

And how can you say JWH specifically, didn't want to spend excessively? We bought Lallana for 25m, Lovren for 20m, Markovic for 20m, made a 35m bid for Sanchez, bought Moreno for 12m, Balotelli for 16m and Can for 10m etc. We spent a F**k load of money and the men in charge for making the signings have got it completely wrong.

Fans can't use the excuse to criticise Ayre, Brendan and the committee saying they got signings wrong and then come in to a thread and say the owners didn't back the manager up enough and are too scared to spend money. A massive contradiction to use for an agenda against people at the club.

Either the owners backed the manager and the committee and they fu**ed up.

Or the manager and committee weren't backed up.

Which one is it? It's very clear to me which one is the case.

And the result of the mess that was the 2014/15 Summer transfer window, is that we have this thread where Sterling is our first choice striker.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #78: Dec 22, 2014 06:00:16 pm
      Think that was me when talking about going for a false 9 formation.

I'm sure it was Racer.

Job maybe going in L4.
      100k a week mate.
      Watch this space.
      Panamera or equivalent chucked in.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #79: Dec 22, 2014 06:10:02 pm
      Most definitely the case, but when that failed fairly early on how did it end up being Mario Balotelli as our back up choice so far down the line in the window?

Complete mess of a situation. The whole committee fu**ed up big time.

Huge F**k up indeed. At least Sanchez and Remy fit Brendan's style.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #80: Dec 22, 2014 07:07:10 pm
      Was much more of a peripheral figure against the gooners BUT bottom line for me, from box to box that was by far the best we have played all season. Passing, movement, tempo, pressing, creating chances. It was all there so it is a sacrifice that is worth making. We haven't got anywhere close to that sort of performance going forward with anybody else up there. And did anyone notice they were all over Raheem? He got lots of attention and it was to the benefit of Coutinho and Lallana.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #81: Dec 22, 2014 08:27:09 pm

Stuey, mate, I'm sick of seeing this comment over and over. We bid for Sanchez 35 million so the money was there. It's not his job to make decisions on players. It is Ayre, the scouting team and Brendan. JWH doesn't know who half the players were we signed. He and the rest of FSG just sign the cheques.

Ayres is in situ at the behest of FSG, he is they're eyes and ears, JWH has made his opinions known about the cheques and the figures involved on them.

How many signings got fu**ed up the same way, take Sanchez - it was well known he wanted a London club and anything above 35m would get him - it was dead in the water. Conveniently.

Do you think he ran the rule over signing Can, Markovic and Moreno etc? He didn't know who the hell they were. But he signed the cheques which totalled nearly 50 million pounds for the three of them because the people in charge said they're worth it.

All the mentioned players are deemed  to have potential, the Suarez fee would have been better spent on a like for like striker, as well as providing dosh for potential signings.

And how can you say JWH specifically, didn't want to spend excessively? We bought Lallana for 25m, Lovren for 20m, Markovic for 20m, made a 35m bid for Sanchez, bought Moreno for 12m, Balotelli for 16m and Can for 10m etc. We spent a F**k load of money and the men in charge for making the signings have got it completely wrong.

JWH stated unequivocally that he would not spend more than he thought appropriate, modesty was the order of the day, as was subsequently borne out.
      Except for Balotelli those players are kicking on - it will take time.
      As stated the 35m Sanchez bid was dead in the water.

Fans can't use the excuse to criticise Ayre, Brendan and the committee saying they got signings wrong and then come in to a thread and say the owners didn't back the manager up enough and are too scared to spend money. A massive contradiction to use for an agenda against people at the club.

Criticism was never more deserved mate, in spite of the fine words four years ago we are in a similar situation football-wise as we were when FSG 'rescued us', it's as if the owners have got a pre-ordained image of the club's status and will not be deflected from that entity.
      They employed a mid-table manager in the hope that the mid-table economics would not prove too taxing financially.
      BR surprised everyone not least of all the owners by attaining 2nd place in the Prem., but it was no surprise that we were ill equipped to address the challenge; but help was at hand.
      To retain the services of Suarez promises were made the previous season, none of which were acted upon and with Barca sniffing Suarez was gone.
      85m was available to BR to make a stripped down squad CL material - yesterday.
      Predictably it didn't go to plan FSG's deputy had ensured that JWH's prudence about transfer fees was observed.
      The phrase quantity not quality come to mind.
      In that light the flak the manager is subject to is misplaced.

Either the owners backed the manager and the committee and they fu**ed up.

Or the manager and committee weren't backed up.

Which one is it? It's very clear to me which one is the case.

And the result of the mess that was the 2014/15 Summer transfer window, is that we have this thread where Sterling is our first choice striker.

The 14/15 transfer window is a culmination of under investment, broken promises and boardroom contrivance.

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2014 08:38:40 pm by stuey »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #82: Dec 24, 2014 06:51:56 pm
      I think you're going a bit over the top with the criticism at JWH.

We had money, we spent money, we have little return. Ayre, committee and Brendan are the people who are at fault.

JWH may have said we won't spend more than appropriate but why are you taking that quote in isolation? We spent hefty sums on players in positions we desperately needed to improve so that quote of JWH is rather meaningless.

How many signings got fu**ed up the same way, take Sanchez - it was well known he wanted a London club and anything above 35m would get him - it was dead in the water. Conveniently.

None of these rumours were known to the public before we made a bid. He was off to Juventus at one point if you remember.

We could go back to many players we bid for and they didn't arrive for any reason. But the double edged sword is that either we bid for players and they say no, or we don't bid for players and fans ask why we aren't targeting elite level footballers.

I think money spent is a silly thing to criticise the owners for. However i do think whoever it is that is deciding who to spend it on is clearly inept and should be allowed to find another job. We have spent 215 million pounds (on 25 players) since Brendan came in and so far who would you say has impacted the first team other than Coutinho, Sturridge and even though its early, Lallana? Thats a lot of money to piss away in not even 3 seasons.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #83: Dec 27, 2014 09:03:16 pm
      If Sterling could finish better, we'd soon be comparing him to Michael Owen. He makes similar runs behind the defence, and has th same speed.

I'm not sure how much he can improve his accuracy, but he is getting on the score sheets
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #84: Dec 27, 2014 09:29:08 pm
      I read an article yesterday where the lad said or maybe even Brendan said, that after the Manc game and the missed opportunities, that he stayed behind after training and worked on his goal scoring. Seems to have paid some dividends with him scoring in the Bournemouth and Burnley games.

Keep practising Raheem and keep banging in those goals.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #85: Dec 27, 2014 10:13:28 pm
      I read an article yesterday where the lad said or maybe even Brendan said, that after the Manc game and the missed opportunities, that he stayed behind after training and worked on his goal scoring. Seems to have paid some dividends with him scoring in the Bournemouth and Burnley games.

Keep practising Raheem and keep banging in those goals.

Now to work on his passing!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #86: Dec 28, 2014 01:57:08 am
       Not in a million years.   Well a few anyway...... He brings so  much more to the side from a wide position or in the hole behind two recognised strikers.  O.k. it's probably  the best option we've got at the mo, if the boss wont blood any of the youngsters, but not in the long term surely ?

Please note the word 'RECOGNISED'
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #87: Dec 28, 2014 02:10:05 am

And his crossing for when he plays out on the flanks.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #88: Dec 31, 2014 12:47:27 am
      As I was saying in October, Sterling is the most suited "striker" we have if we want to play like last year.
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,46880.0.html

Can't believe it took 4 months for Brendan to read my post, what an amateur. 8)
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #89: Jan 02, 2015 07:11:28 am
      Reports that his family advised him not to stay here because of over playing. And are worried about future injury problems and burn out.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #90: Jan 02, 2015 11:21:32 am
      Wee fella had a tough time yesterday but he keeps pluggin away doing his best and thats all you can ask IMO

Quick Reply