Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The Transfer Committee Thread

Read 103438 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: The Transfer Committee Thread
      Reply #391: Oct 09, 2015 12:45:48 am
      One thing I will say is that if Klopp wants changes I'd give him those changes.

Time will tell although is suspect the system will broadly stay as it is mate.

ā€œThe definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different resultsā€.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #392: Oct 09, 2015 01:28:25 am
      According to Ben Smith at the BBC, Klopp has asked for the committee to remain but to have the final say on all signings as opposed to Rodgers only having a big say in signings. Hopefully we'll see the clarity that's needed moving forward. No more muddled thinking with camp A wanting player X and Camp B wanting player Y.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #393: Oct 09, 2015 06:31:49 am

Interesting take on things from Barratt
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #394: Oct 09, 2015 07:19:25 am

Interesting take on things from Barratt

Explains a lot though Gary; I'm with Si on this one. If those were indeed the TC picks and Rodgers was Lallana, (presumably Lovern) Borini and Allen, and he wanted Bertrand, Dempsey and Ashley Williams than that is frightening to say the least.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #395: Oct 09, 2015 07:51:29 am
      Honestly - I am not against 'Sabermetrics / Money-Ball' as a tool to help understand more about players potential performance. I know its getting a battering, but it has been used to a lesser extent by every club.

If a player makes x through balls per match or sets up x number of goal scoring opportunities then if he comes to x club he will improve this resulting in a potentially higher chance of winning...

What worries me is that there are a lot of 'Football People' who are so very against it - and that they batter it to death at every opportunity. Because they have the 'eye' for football they cannot be replaced. It honestly smacks of 'sh*t, they know better than us, lets snuff this one out sharpish lads'...

I would agree that there has to be more than totally analytic way of looking at a player - but would you be ok with signing the highest scoring player in Spain? Or perhaps the keeper in Germany with the most clean sheets over the last 3 years..? Yes, scout them to understand if they will fit into our system, but use the analysis of their performance to see if they actually do deliver week in week out...

Reality is, Rodgers was given these players - played them out of position and then sent them out on loan. Money-Ball it all you want, you have to actually be in the game to win it.

Also, I don't think Klopp will be over ruled by these people - from that respect I think Brendan was a little green. Within 6 months I would expect the TC to be made up of Klopp's men - who will use sabermetrics to some degree to find us the best players.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #396: Oct 09, 2015 08:00:04 am
      Also - on this TC, not to defend it but...

TC signings:
      Sturridge, Sakho, Moreno, Lazar & Firmino

Rodgers signings (or attempts)
      Borini, Allen, Williams, Dempsy & Lallana

Be honest, your the new manager and are offer 5 of these players - which 5 are you going to take..? Would you take even one of Rodgers players over the ones from the TC..? Makes you wonder what other players were snuffed out?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #397: Oct 09, 2015 08:01:14 am
      Explains a lot though Gary; I'm with Si on this one. If those were indeed the TC picks and Rodgers was Lallana, (presumably Lovern) Borini and Allen, and he wanted Bertrand, Dempsey and Ashley Williams than that is frightening to say the least.

The argument has never been about who picks the best players mate, the argument as I see it is that the system had broken down. There is no point the TC choosing a player if the manager either doesn't want him or doesn't believe he fits the way he wants the team to play.

For example Markovic. Presumably a TC choice. Maybe Brendan felt he needed a more experienced player, maybe he wanted someone who crossed the ball more. Whatever the reason Brendan hardly gave him a chance before loaning him out. Now we are stuck with only one wide player and he's also inexperienced and sadly out of form to boot. No forward planning and no balance in the squad.

Certainly imo when you get to the stage were its become one signing for them one signing for me, planning, squad and even team balance go out the window. 

There always has to be a balance between the wishes of the manager for players that can make an immediate on the team and of the TC who look to the longer term and prospects, but when either or both sides lose trust then the whole thing becomes chaos.

I have believed that Brendan has chosen badly for a while mate, but sadly the TC haven't done much better. Our squad after Ā£300million being spent doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I think the difference is, that under FSG the manager has never had total control of his transfer budget. Before FSG while the manager had to live within a budget, had scouts recommendations etc etc, the budget was his to spend, so if he decided it would be better to blow it all on a couple of top players or spread it out between 6 squad players, it was his choice.

Now policy is decided by committee and whilst the manager may have the final say on whether we sign a particular player or not, the policy and team planning in not solely in his hands. Hence we get the situation where Brendan is saying we need top players not more squad players, whilst the committee decide to spread it around on 5 or 6 squad players. This makes building a team (squad) that much more difficult when you have different visions of the way forward.

Personally I haven't been too thrilled with the players that we have signed which were so called "Brendan choices" anyway, so I am not unduly worried, but IMO it would have been better to have a D.O.F. if this was the way we were going rather than death by committee.

But I don't think anyone is saying that they think Brendan has bought well except Si who thinks Brendan bought well this season.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #398: Oct 09, 2015 09:22:35 am
      Also - on this TC, not to defend it but...

TC signings:
      Sturridge, Sakho, Moreno, Lazar & Firmino

Rodgers signings (or attempts)
      Borini, Allen, Williams, Dempsy & Lallana

Be honest, your the new manager and are offer 5 of these players - which 5 are you going to take..? Would you take even one of Rodgers players over the ones from the TC..? Makes you wonder what other players were snuffed out?

didnt he want to use Henderson as a make weight with Dempsey ?
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #399: Oct 09, 2015 09:24:18 am
      didnt he want to use Henderson as a make weight with Dempsey ?

Yes - and bin off Lukas too keeping Allen as the holding midfielder... Got shot of Agger & Pepe too - both who on the last 10 games performance could have easily done a job for us.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #400: Oct 09, 2015 09:44:55 am
      Yes - and bin off Lukas too keeping Allen as the holding midfielder... Got shot of Agger & Pepe too - both who on the last 10 games performance could have easily done a job for us.

I just can't understand why we sacked him
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #401: Oct 09, 2015 09:46:15 am

so he made him Captain instead
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #402: Oct 09, 2015 10:49:49 am
      But I don't think anyone is saying that they think Brendan has bought well except Si who thinks Brendan bought well this season.

I actually didn't specially say 'this season' mate but I do think Clyne, Benteke, Gomez and Milner are good players taken in isolation.

I also think Lallana is a very good footballer and Lambert was at the time a decent signing. Allen also is a more talented footballer than he gets credit for.

So yes I think Brendan had identified good players, although it has cost more than it normally would to get them here, but the committee have identified our best players and the players that will be the fore of our squad.

In my opinion the system we have only broke down because the manager didn't buy into it and I understand FSG not allowing a manager with such limited experience totally get his own way.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #403: Oct 09, 2015 11:06:34 am
      In my opinion the system we have only broke down because the manager didn't buy into it and I understand FSG not allowing a manager with such limited experience totally get his own way.

It's a two way street for me Si. I don't think they (TC) trusted Brendan or that Brendan trusted them by the end. Both fighting for what they wanted rather than finding a common way forward.

As I said before I think the system broke down completely by the end and no one was big enough to fix it. Hopefully Klopp will make sure things never get to those extremes again.

Very confident Klopp will make it work btw.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #404: Oct 09, 2015 11:08:54 am
      It's a two way street for me Si. I don't think they (TC) trusted Brendan or that Brendan trusted them by the end. Both fighting for what they wanted rather than finding a common way forward.

As I said before I think the system broke down completely by the end and no one was big enough to fix it. Hopefully Klopp will make sure things never get to those extremes again.

Very confident Klopp will make it work btw.

Fair enough point mate and there was infighting which Klopp says won't be there but make no mistake the mechanics of the recruitment will be more or less exactly the same.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #405: Oct 09, 2015 11:13:16 am
      Fair enough point mate and there was infighting which Klopp says won't be there but make no mistake the mechanics of the recruitment will be more or less exactly the same.

I hope not or our signings won't improve either. I think Klopp will be (or allowed to be) a little more assertive than Brendan and lean more on the people he brings in knows and trusts.

Anyway I am going to leave it there mate and give someone else have a chance to post :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #406: Oct 09, 2015 11:19:51 am
      I hope not or our signings won't improve either. I think Klopp will be (or allowed to be) a little more assertive than Brendan and lean more on the people he brings in knows and trusts.

Anyway I am going to leave it there mate and give someone else have a chance to post :)

But Brendan has been very assertive and as you admit the committee over ruling him has left us with better players as far as your concerned.

When I say the mechanics will stay the same I mean that how we arrive at a list of players will be using the same method of stats and scouting and recommendations.

I think Klopp will be just as assertive but I think his background on European football will lead to more synergy with the committee.

He also may well help us get those Sanchez's, Costa's etc etc over the line.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #407: Oct 09, 2015 02:02:44 pm
      Klopp has just come in and said things will be different, there's no problem because he will have first and last say. Exactly what everyone wanted to happen, so I for one am delighted because we will be signing quality German players:

Reus
      Gundogan
      Draxler
      Hummels

I wonder what numbers those guys want.

Thank god this abomination can no longer be the focus of a completely disjointed and embarrassing mess that was our conduct in the transfer market.

Hallelujah!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #408: Oct 09, 2015 03:09:06 pm
      Am I the only one who thinks Brendan wanting Bertrand over Moreno wasn't such a bad thing in retrospect? He's more defensively solid than Alberto at least.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #409: Oct 09, 2015 03:58:35 pm
      Am I the only one who thinks Brendan wanting Bertrand over Moreno wasn't such a bad thing in retrospect? He's more defensively solid than Alberto at least.

Not much between them to tell you the truth, put Bertrand in our defence he would look sh*te.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #410: Oct 09, 2015 05:20:33 pm

Moreno is a terrible defender he get his feet mixed up he has a wierd stance with his hands behind his back Bertrand is a much better defence.
      However I think Moreno could be incredible with the pace he has.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #411: Oct 09, 2015 05:25:00 pm
      My dream of the club recruiting some amazing talent from the Bundesliga is finally gonna come true!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #412: Oct 09, 2015 05:34:19 pm
      My dream of the club recruiting some amazing talent from the Bundesliga is finally gonna come true!

Fingers crossed. Klopp may fall in love with Southampton though ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #413: Oct 09, 2015 05:42:16 pm
      Klopp has just come in and said things will be different, there's no problem because he will have first and last say. Exactly what everyone wanted to happen, so I for one am delighted because we will be signing quality German players:

Reus
      Gundogan
      Draxler
      Hummels

I wonder what numbers those guys want.

Thank god this abomination can no longer be the focus of a completely disjointed and embarrassing mess that was our conduct in the transfer market.

Hallelujah!

I was taken to task Luke for even suggesting the JWH & Co appointed abomination would not continue it's fuckuppery under Klopp, that the manager would have the final word on signings. FSG apologists refuse to contemplate the owner's continued  ''mistakes''.
      It would of course be highly embarrassing for them to admit to each specific error following an obscure admission some time ago with the promise they would learn by their mistakes.
      We must hope this appointment is a landmark in their footie learning curve.

Quick Reply