Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Christian Benteke (Aston Villa) - SIGNED BY LFC

Read 164382 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Cristian Benteke (Aston Villa)
      Reply #759: Jul 03, 2015 09:50:24 pm
      Round and round we go, claim, counter claim then counter, counter claim.

Whatever peoples views and opinions are on Benteke or the "target man" analogy the fact remains that Brendan seemingly wants one.

He wanted Benteke last summer but he was injured, we then went for Bony, then ended up with Balo.

We won't be buying someone similar to Studge as we already have one in Origi.

We've complained previously that Brendan needs the right tools to do his job, so let's hope he gets his Man this time so we can decide once and for all whether he's the right man for the job. 

This window will make or break him, he'll live or die by these decisions and that's how it should be.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #760: Jul 03, 2015 09:56:13 pm
      I don't disagree with that. Historically that's fair. The onus* on the pro-Benteke crowd is prove there sufficient difference between the failed target men of the past and Benteke. However, being a target man doesn't mean one has poor pass completion, or that it is a target man's pass completion which means he will be bad in our possession based side.
      Also, for what it is worth, it would be weird for Napoli to sell Higuain for less than they paid.

*as far as there is an onus on anyone to do anything here. This is the internet after all and the internet is Serious Business.

Can't say I'm all that bothered about Benteke's pass completion stats meself but I do think he has a heavy touch and he isn't the best technically. He has a good goals record and is more mobile than the other lads we had of that ilk BUT he still we won't play to his strengths and I don't believe he can play to the teams strengths either.

As for Higuan, I believe he is 28-29 now, Napoli might have paid 40 a couple of years ago but I bet they would think about selling for a fee close to the Benteke release clause. He would be perfect for us, hard working, fantastic movement, clever in and around the box, strong enough to hold it up, he does everything well, that's what we need at the club. Guess it doesn't matter because the owners don't do big fees for older players, for some reason they will only pay Big for younger players who may have a resale value. It's bizarre to me because if we buy a young  player and he does really well I don't want us to sell him.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #761: Jul 03, 2015 10:24:33 pm
      Why would Rodgers entertain this kind of signing it doesn't make sense ? It's not as if he has all the time in the world to change the system to suit Benteke . If the going gets tough from the start he's as good as gone so signing Benteke would be a career car crash . Nah this is a smoke screen and i believe we'll sign a different type of forward . Especially with Couts and Firmino creating .
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #762: Jul 03, 2015 11:52:21 pm
      So Fowler says Benteke isn't just a target man and would be "perfect" for us.....what's he know? He obviously hasn't spoken to the experts on here yet. :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #763: Jul 03, 2015 11:53:17 pm
      So Fowler says Benteke isn't just a target man and would be "perfect" for us.....what's he know? He obviously hasn't spoken to the experts on here yet. :lmao:

Who's this Fowler guy you speak of? Bet he was proper crap too like ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #764: Jul 04, 2015 12:45:57 am
      Who's this Fowler guy you speak of? Bet he was proper crap too like ;)

Just some poacher I've heard....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #765: Jul 04, 2015 12:56:00 am
      Just some poacher I've heard....

How would you know who he is soccccer wasnt available in the USA when he was around   ;D

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #766: Jul 04, 2015 01:03:42 am
      Bri Fowler backed Balotelli too, he's on the club payroll so unfortunately I believe his press releases are driven by those paying his wages.

Your not insinuating that Robbie is a "yes man" are you?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #767: Jul 04, 2015 01:09:11 am
      Your not insinuating that Robbie is a "yes man" are you?

:D

Would you say it's a coincidence that every time we make a signing or are about to that all the ex-pros who are on the payroll at the club suddenly have soundbites for the media relating to them, all seemingly positive.

Now I don't want to call Robbie a yes man as I have far too much respect and love for the bloke but being overly enthusiastic with his praise for people we're signing, yes I think he might be embellishing his praise a little.

It was similar with Balotelli last season, Robbie called him amazing or something along those lines, it's on the web I'm sure you can dig it out without a bit of trouble.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #768: Jul 04, 2015 08:01:14 am
      £32.5m on a player who is not more than 50/50 to get used to our style of playing sounds like a hell of a gamble...Balotelli is imo technically better and cost half as much. Also when he can be bothered he is more mobile than Benteke, would much rather see Balo given more of a chance, think one day he's just going to explode - HE'S ONLY 24!
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #769: Jul 04, 2015 08:35:01 am
      The thing we had with Suarez was that defense had to double or triple mark him. In a way, I think Benteke could have the same effect, albiet to a lesser degree at the moment.

That space that was provided is what we need in a striker. If he can spread the defense, which I believe he can, then the goals will come... just as they did the season before last.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #770: Jul 04, 2015 09:23:51 am
      It was similar with Balotelli last season, Robbie called him amazing or something along those lines, it's on the web I'm sure you can dig it out without a bit of trouble.

He probably did but he's not likely to come out and say he's going to be sh*t is he?  :-\

Little micky owen did come out with this pearler though.

Mario Balotelli will be 'great fun' says former Liverpool striker Michael Owen
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #771: Jul 04, 2015 10:14:24 am
      To be fair to Fowler on Balotelli his exact quote was:

"For whatever reason, it hasn’t worked out for him so far,"
      "But Balotelli is a fantastic talent, he has scored goals everywhere he has been.

"You look at the clubs he has played for, and he obviously has something about him.

"He needs to concentrate on his football, forget about any off-field antics and run about a little bit more.

"I am sure he will be a good player for Liverpool.

"Players always come and go, but the manager will always have his own tactics and good players adapt to tactics.

and

“He’s had a very indifferent start and not scored as many goals as he would have liked – but Brendan Rodgers is behind him and his opinion counts.

“Good players really need to adapt and play wherever the manager wants. It’s easy to say this player is struggling because we’re not playing the formation he wants. He’s a talented boy and he should be able to play in a number of positions.”

I don't think he was right on every point he made, but it isn't quite rent-a-quote PR by the club either. The headline is that he is a fantastic talent, but he also did provide the caveat that he would need to adapt.

Edit:
      Found some more
      September
      "I've said before he is a gamble but any player, regardless of whether it's Mario Balotelli or any other player, is a gamble because they are coming into a new club," Fowler added.

"Any signing is a gamble and it's not because it's Mario Balotelli but any club that signs any player is a gamble because you don't know what you're going to get.

"His attitude was spot on against Tottenham and you'll always get that at Liverpool. Under Brendan Rodgers' guidance he will be superb and you can't argue with his record. Wherever he's played he's been fantastic so we as supporters will greet him very well."
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #772: Jul 04, 2015 01:08:42 pm
      I don't have anything against Benteke as a player, but I think if you need to have 26 pages' worth of debate for or against signing a player, maybe you shouldn't sign him. It just feels like we're trying to hard to like Benteke when we all know there are better fits for our playing style. Like in signing Clyne and Firmino, they were obvious signings to make, and there are obvious strikers to sign as well.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #773: Jul 04, 2015 01:46:10 pm
      If Benteke clicks at Liverpool (and it's obviously an "if" when you sign any new player) he would be a monster and would make a massive difference to our team. He would if he clicks provide "cheap goals". By that I mean in games where it's not happening for you, nothings working, all it takes is a cross into the right area with Benteke being on the front foot and against any defender in the world, he'll score you a goal. "Cheap goals" are something we completely lacked last season, aside from a brief period where Sturridge played and played well (I personally thought overall he was disappointing). All our goals were hard, we had to swarm at teams, dominate, create lots of half chances or score a blinder, very few were goals where "bang", a situation comes out of nothing and you score, Chelsea do it all the time.

If Benteke clicks at Liverpool he would provide a significant threat from corners and free kicks. That doesn't mean he'll score lots of headers direct, but it does mean he'll cause chaos in the area which will allow others to score. If he and the future captain were attacking corners together, that's some significant threat there.

If Benteke clicks at Liverpool he would be a reliable penalty taker, we don't currently have one.

If Benteke clicks at Liverpool we may finally see the end of us interminably playing it out from the back, or Mignolet attempting that ridiculous chip out to the right full back every single time we get the ball. It doesn't mean we will become a "long ball team", but it does mean we'll have the option of hitting him long and getting up the pitch. Perhaps if we sit Firmino close to him, teams will be reluctant to press us so high and leave themselves open to a long out ball followed by a flick on and a potential chance on their goal.

If Bentene clicks at Liverpool the physicality of our team will significantly increase. A much underrated attribute of any team (particularly in the Premiership), the nastiest and most physical team always punches above their weight, again think Chelsea last season, MEN in every position bar Hazard/Oscar.

If Benteke was playing for the Mancs or Chelsea against us, he's be a nightmare to play against. We all know this, and you can pull stats out of your @rsehole all day long but it makes no odds, we know it to be true. He would score in excess of 20 league goals in a season if he played for Chelsea and took penalties, ditto Man Utd. IF he clicks at Liverpool, he'll do the same for us. And while the opposition are doubling up on him, trying to nullify him, the likes of Coutinho and Firmino and Lallana, Markovic and the like can have more space to do their thing.

The signing makes lots of sense to me, lets just get it done.   
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #774: Jul 04, 2015 05:21:07 pm
      If Benteke clicks at Liverpool (and it's obviously an "if" when you sign any new player) he would be a monster and would make a massive difference to our team. He would if he clicks provide "cheap goals". By that I mean in games where it's not happening for you, nothings working, all it takes is a cross into the right area with Benteke being on the front foot and against any defender in the world, he'll score you a goal. "Cheap goals" are something we completely lacked last season, aside from a brief period where Sturridge played and played well (I personally thought overall he was disappointing). All our goals were hard, we had to swarm at teams, dominate, create lots of half chances or score a blinder, very few were goals where "bang", a situation comes out of nothing and you score, Chelsea do it all the time.

If Benteke clicks at Liverpool he would provide a significant threat from corners and free kicks. That doesn't mean he'll score lots of headers direct, but it does mean he'll cause chaos in the area which will allow others to score. If he and the future captain were attacking corners together, that's some significant threat there.

If Benteke clicks at Liverpool he would be a reliable penalty taker, we don't currently have one.

If Benteke clicks at Liverpool we may finally see the end of us interminably playing it out from the back, or Mignolet attempting that ridiculous chip out to the right full back every single time we get the ball. It doesn't mean we will become a "long ball team", but it does mean we'll have the option of hitting him long and getting up the pitch. Perhaps if we sit Firmino close to him, teams will be reluctant to press us so high and leave themselves open to a long out ball followed by a flick on and a potential chance on their goal.

If Bentene clicks at Liverpool the physicality of our team will significantly increase. A much underrated attribute of any team (particularly in the Premiership), the nastiest and most physical team always punches above their weight, again think Chelsea last season, MEN in every position bar Hazard/Oscar.

If Benteke was playing for the Mancs or Chelsea against us, he's be a nightmare to play against. We all know this, and you can pull stats out of your @rsehole all day long but it makes no odds, we know it to be true. He would score in excess of 20 league goals in a season if he played for Chelsea and took penalties, ditto Man Utd. IF he clicks at Liverpool, he'll do the same for us. And while the opposition are doubling up on him, trying to nullify him, the likes of Coutinho and Firmino and Lallana, Markovic and the like can have more space to do their thing.

Good post mate, but please just stop with the "future captain" stuff. I think we'll see much more out of Lovren this season, but he will never be our captain....

As for Benteke, I think he'll be a great signing if he can stay fit
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #775: Jul 04, 2015 10:46:57 pm

Nah mick , he's a sick note just like Sturidge . The difference is the fees . Not that i give a sh*t if we pay the buy out clause , that's up to the club to decide . But to have two forwards out injured would be disastrous . We need to avoid this signing like the plague .

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #776: Jul 04, 2015 11:21:14 pm
      Well for all the stats when Benteke plays for Villa or Belgium, good or bad. Has he EVER played for a side, who play our style of system. If not, what use are the comparisons if he's never played how we expect him to.
      Or do we change the system that Brendan has encouraged us to adopt, so we can integrate him.
      And would that be considered a good thing or a bad thing. Would it disrupt our ball on the floor pass and move style, and so disillusion our current midfield. Lots to think about apart from what style he plays for Belgium or Villa.

To simplify things: he addresses a major weakness in our side which is the ability to hit a long ball when we are being pressed.

Also he adds a major strength - which is that he finishes simply and with power. Although there are no guarantees, if we provide the chances there is a good chance he will finish them. Everything else is of secondary concern.

With Coutinho and Firmino we should be able to create those chances - any striker worth their salt would want to play ahead of those two.

All it will take is a couple of early goals and it could light the blue touchpaper for him. I emphasise there are no guarantees but this could potentially work very well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #777: Jul 04, 2015 11:41:57 pm
      His injuries don't seem to be related which I think people are overlooking. Sturridge's injuries are recurring. There's a big difference there.

Sometimes players get injured through no fault of their own and are just unlucky (Lallana) and sometimes they continually injur the same part of their body (Sturridge).

I'd be much more inclined to invest in the player that has just been unlucky. In this case, I personally don't know that Benteke's injuries should be a major concern. I'd be more worried about whether or not he makes us a better team.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #778: Jul 05, 2015 12:14:11 am
      Talk about getting caught in the same trap over and over again eh . We're gluttons for punishment a right bunch of looneys . Andy Carroll Part 2 the sequel watch it here and see sh*t unfold .
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #779: Jul 05, 2015 12:31:43 am
      :D

Would you say it's a coincidence that every time we make a signing or are about to that all the ex-pros who are on the payroll at the club suddenly have soundbites for the media relating to them, all seemingly positive.

Now I don't want to call Robbie a yes man as I have far too much respect and love for the bloke but being overly enthusiastic with his praise for people we're signing, yes I think he might be embellishing his praise a little.

I couldn't tell you what ex-pros are on the pay role in all honesty.

Still, it's interesting to note how diplomatic you are with words here.  ;) :D
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #780: Jul 05, 2015 02:51:15 am
      Talk about getting caught in the same trap over and over again eh . We're gluttons for punishment a right bunch of looneys . Andy Carroll Part 2 the sequel watch it here and see sh*t unfold .
      Funnily enough mate I like Andy Carroll. Dont think he was THAT bad for Liverpool as many fans made out. Certainly the talent to play football was there but he lacked desire, application and was also a bit unfortunate with injuries at crucial times. Frustrating times he had with us. But putting him in the same sentence with Benteke is disrespectfull to the Belgian. bickmick nailed it. If you dont get swayed a little by his "click" post there´s no hope. Just sign him or some other striker pls, this thread is in cul de sac for some time.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #781: Jul 05, 2015 10:46:24 am
      I've read a lot of the posts on this thread. Opinion is divided, but he clearly has a good few fans out there. I'm not in favour, for reasons i've stated before, but if he comes we'll all support him.  I just hope it works out.  It could have a big impact on Brendans future - is he pushing for this player or is it the committee?

Quick Reply