Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

2015-2016 Formation

Read 36925 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: 2015-2016 Formation
      Reply #207: Jul 29, 2015 03:22:04 pm
      Agreed mate.  Yesterdays training session had us lined up with a 2 in midfield (Hendo and Milner) with 3 AM's behind Benteke, so looks like we'll be going into the Stoke game 4231 which I'm guessing will be

Migs

Clyne
      Skrtel
      Sakho/Lovren
      Moreno

Hendo
      Milner

Firmino
      Cou
      Lallana

Benteke

Exactly the team I said, where's my prize?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #208: Jul 29, 2015 03:23:17 pm
      Agreed mate.  Yesterdays training session had us lined up with a 2 in midfield (Hendo and Milner) with 3 AM's behind Benteke, so looks like we'll be going into the Stoke game 4231 which I'm guessing will be

Migs

Clyne
      Skrtel
      Sakho/Lovren
      Moreno

Hendo
      Milner

Firmino
      Cou
      Lallana

Benteke

I agree. A lot of talk online about which formation Rodgers will use 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 midfield diamond.

I think he will play 4-2-3-1 and switch to 4-3-3 in the second half if we are leading to protect the defence.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #209: Jul 29, 2015 03:36:20 pm
      Interesting stats but we have not won anything in the last 3 years playing the way we do which includes defending the way we do.

We've lost in big games because we can't keep a clean sheet. We get knocked out of competitions because we concede too many.
      Those minute differences actually add up to more than the individual .2 per game.

Those 8 goals on average are probably the difference between 3-4 wins and gaining Top 4.

Of course we need to score goals but I wouldn't dismiss the defence as a real issue based on a average 8 goals.

And we only won 1 trophy in the previous 6 seasons setting up to be defensive. 

We lose in "big games" because we haven't worked out how to break down their defensive lines and score enough to win them.  We've been too easy to defend against because we've been so predictable in our attack, except when we had Luis who is the least predictable player to defend against but hopefully that'll be resolved with our attacking line up this season.

We've also got some legs in midfield which should help protect the back 4 to prevent those 8 goals being scored and we've lost the wandering/sauntering Glen which should shore up at least one side of the defense. 

Those 8 goals are not an insurmountable problem to overcome.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #210: Jul 29, 2015 03:38:59 pm
      Exactly the team I said, where's my prize?

Hey, wait will the team sheet's announced Luke, knowing Brendan that line up will be for the first EL game  ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #211: Jul 29, 2015 03:42:37 pm
      I agree. A lot of talk online about which formation Rodgers will use 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 midfield diamond.

I think he will play 4-2-3-1 and switch to 4-3-3 in the second half if we are leading to protect the defence.

It makes sense really as it gets our best attacking players on the pitch, with enough cover behind mate and plenty of quality to come on later in the game when we're winning  ;)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #212: Jul 29, 2015 03:56:58 pm
      And we only won 1 trophy in the previous 6 seasons setting up to be defensive. 

We lose in "big games" because we haven't worked out how to break down their defensive lines and score enough to win them.  We've been too easy to defend against because we've been so predictable in our attack, except when we had Luis who is the least predictable player to defend against but hopefully that'll be resolved with our attacking line up this season.

We've also got some legs in midfield which should help protect the back 4 to prevent those 8 goals being scored and we've lost the wandering/sauntering Glen which should shore up at least one side of the defense. 

Those 8 goals are not an insurmountable problem to overcome.

agreed.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #213: Jul 29, 2015 03:58:28 pm

Migs

Clyne
      Skrtel
      Sakho/Lovren
      Moreno

Hendo
      Milner

Firmino
      Cou
      Lallana

Benteke

Suppose that just depends on match fitness of late comers. But they could be subbed after an hr all going well, bring on Ings, lallana, marko or Ibe.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #214: Jul 29, 2015 04:06:50 pm
      Suppose that just depends on match fitness of late comers. But they could be subbed after an hr all going well, bring on Ings, lallana, marko or Ibe.

It does mate and at least we have some quality to come on if and when needed.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #215: Jul 29, 2015 04:09:34 pm
      Im confident those lads I mentioned can make things happen from the bench, even the ruff diamond Origi
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #216: Jul 29, 2015 04:11:52 pm
      If it is a 4231........I have serious doubts of Milner and Hendo's discipline to shield the back 4.

Looks like Rodgers has decided it's all out attack and we score one more than the opposition.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #217: Jul 29, 2015 04:18:00 pm
      Im confident those lads I mentioned can make things happen from the bench, even the ruff diamond Origi

Me too, till I see us play  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #218: Jul 29, 2015 04:18:04 pm
      If it is a 4231........I have serious doubts of Milner and Hendo's discipline to shield the back 4.

Looks like Rodgers has decided it's all out attack and we score one more than the opposition.

He probably decided that last season, but we lacked the pace & dare I say it the effort up front.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #219: Jul 29, 2015 04:25:00 pm
      He probably decided that last season, but we lacked the pace & dare I say it the effort up front.

Everything was static last season mate so hopefully we won't look so dogshit playing 4231 this season with the players we've brought in.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #220: Jul 29, 2015 04:45:28 pm
      Hey, wait will the team sheet's announced Luke, knowing Brendan that line up will be for the first EL game  ;)

True Debs, true :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #221: Jul 29, 2015 05:12:19 pm

With Milner and Hendo as our 2 man midfield, I feel it would be madness to play possession football & trying to control that middle, especially when both are not ball players. The way I see it, I suspect Rodgers wants to play a more direct team approach with our attacks more focused in wide areas. I have no problems with this, but only if we play deeper and a counter attacking game.
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #222: Jul 29, 2015 11:32:21 pm
      Can't believe some people here don't see our defence as a problem. Under 3 years with Rodgers we have conceded on average 47 goals per season. That is a ridiculous amount and no team can challenge consistently at the top with that kind of figure. To put it in perspective, the average "GD" of a team finishing 4th in the league is +29 over the past 3 seasons. Based on that, you're looking at needing to score around 76 goals, which is 2 a game, to make up for the defensive frailties just to get into the top four again. We have only scored more than 75 goals in a season on two occasions since the PL began.

When you consider that the champions average +50, to challenge for the title we again have to realistically score around 100 goals if we continue leaking goals like we do right now. In 13/14, we had one of the best strike forces to bail us out, and many considered it 'acceptable' we conceded so many because of our natural expansive style of play. But there was no excuse last season, we only scored 52 goals yet were still so exposed at the back. Although we have bought Clyne I see things being much the same this year, because it's likely we're going to see just as much of Lovren and Moreno as we did last season and that simply spells disaster. I can only hope, like in 13/14, our new strikers "bail" us out again.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #223: Jul 29, 2015 11:55:00 pm
      Under 3 years with Rodgers we have conceded on average 47 goals per season.

22 of last years goals came in 6 matches while we can improve on this I don't think we are necessarily dire for an attack minded team and ranked 8th in the league for goals conceded at 1.26 goals allowed per match. 

In fact if you took out the Stoke and Arsenal debacles (10 goals in 2 matches) the defensive numbers put us right up there around the the Man City level.

The biggest issue last year was scoring goals where we only averaged 1.37 goals scored per match not the defense.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #224: Jul 30, 2015 08:57:09 am
      Everything was static last season mate so hopefully we won't look so dogshit playing 4231 this season with the players we've brought in.

Players were very poor & slow, starting from the strikers all the way back. Im hoping that was just the losing suarez hangover.

Im very hopeful the new lads will inject more urgency and pace into our play.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #225: Jul 30, 2015 08:59:11 am
      22 of last years goals came in 6 matches while we can improve on this I don't think we are necessarily dire for an attack minded team and ranked 8th in the league for goals conceded at 1.26 goals allowed per match. 

In fact if you took out the Stoke and Arsenal debacles (10 goals in 2 matches) the defensive numbers put us right up there around the the Man City level.

The biggest issue last year was scoring goals where we only averaged 1.37 goals scored per match not the defense.

Our defence broke records last season, most clean sheets away from home since the 70's or something, cant remember exact stat.

Its just those really bad doings v arsenal, palace & stoke have skewed the stats.

If we have any games like thso again this season I will probably go back to being a rodgers out person.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #226: Jul 30, 2015 09:36:01 am
      Can't believe some people here don't see our defence as a problem. Under 3 years with Rodgers we have conceded on average 47 goals per season. That is a ridiculous amount and no team can challenge consistently at the top with that kind of figure. To put it in perspective, the average "GD" of a team finishing 4th in the league is +29 over the past 3 seasons. Based on that, you're looking at needing to score around 76 goals, which is 2 a game, to make up for the defensive frailties just to get into the top four again. We have only scored more than 75 goals in a season on two occasions since the PL began.

When you consider that the champions average +50, to challenge for the title we again have to realistically score around 100 goals if we continue leaking goals like we do right now. In 13/14, we had one of the best strike forces to bail us out, and many considered it 'acceptable' we conceded so many because of our natural expansive style of play. But there was no excuse last season, we only scored 52 goals yet were still so exposed at the back. Although we have bought Clyne I see things being much the same this year, because it's likely we're going to see just as much of Lovren and Moreno as we did last season and that simply spells disaster. I can only hope, like in 13/14, our new strikers "bail" us out again.

Your right mate. You don't even need stats to back up an argument against our defence, just watch them. At no time under Rodgers has our defence looked anything but shaky. It never plays as a unit and set piece's are a disaster waiting to happen.
      The goalkeeper is weak ( incapable of catching a ball hit straight at him, opting to  punch it instead). We could of went for Begovic but stuck with Mignolet, who will cost us points.
      Apply pressure to our defence and it cracks with alarming ease. And i agree with you that this will not change in the slightest this season, starting at Stoke.

The first few balls thrown at our box and  TIMBERRRRRRR.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #227: Jul 30, 2015 06:02:44 pm
      Question,

Are we ever going to play Sturridge & Benteke up front when both are fit? Could it work like SaS?

ALSO! Sturridge and Balotelli worked well IMO when they played together, but could Benteke and Balotelli work?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #228: Jul 30, 2015 06:08:09 pm
      Question,

Are we ever going to play Sturridge & Benteke up front when both are fit? Could it work like SaS?

ALSO! Sturridge and Balotelli worked well IMO when they played together, but could Benteke and Balotelli work?

I would think Brendan will maximize his striking options when available, but who knows.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #229: Jul 30, 2015 11:21:54 pm

Quite a few of the video's of these goals that are being posted, it has Sakho putting crosses in from the left. I hope that's not an indication that he will be playing at LB.

Quick Reply