Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518250 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #4669: Feb 13, 2016 03:43:41 pm
      You can't compare players like Beardsley and Dalglish etc... they were good when it was a slower game.. now we have way less home grown players, lighter balls and money took over. If we were still in a system like back then Danny Ings and Lambert would probably stand out and look like legends.

Great players are great players, the best players would be the best players in an era.. Think how good they would be with those lighter balls and better pitches and training like the players train and look after themselves today.

Money took over aye.. Barnes, Beardo and Kenny would be worth a f**king massive stack of it if they played now

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2016 04:01:26 pm by Kopite78 »
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #4670: Feb 13, 2016 03:45:08 pm
      Yes but opposed to our  players in successful teams?

Clyne is decent but Phil Neal good? Steve Nicol good? Chris Lawler good?

Firmino or Coutinho good players but for players who played in similar areas of the pitch.. Terry Mc good? Peter Beardsley good? Kenny Dalglish good? Steve Heighway good? John Barnes good?

As for Origi.. He can't even be in a conversation yet

Some great fullbacks in your first list mate lawler was just before my time though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #4671: Feb 13, 2016 03:45:18 pm
      man for man if you compare these players to any successful Liverpool team they would struggle to get in . Only Sturridge if fit would get in.
      when you long for the likes of Igor Biscan or Jimmy Traeore  you know we are in trouble.

None of this current squad would get into our treble winning side of 2001.

Westerveld v Mignolet
      Babbel v Clyne
      Henchoz v Skrtel
      Hyypia v  Sakho
      Carragher v Moreno
      Murphy v Milner
      Gerrard v Henderson
      Hamann v Lucas
      Berger v Coutinho
      Fowler v Sturridge
      Owen v Firmino
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4672: Feb 13, 2016 03:48:51 pm

Westerveld v Mignolet
      Babbel v Clyne
      Henchoz v Skrtel
      Hyypia v  Sakho
      Carragher v Moreno
      Murphy v Milner
      Gerrard v Henderson
      Hamann v Lucas
      Berger v Coutinho
      Fowler v Sturridge
      Owen v Firmino
      2001 side would be top of the league this year.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #4673: Feb 13, 2016 03:59:04 pm
      You can't compare players like Beardsley and Dalglish etc... they were good when it was a slower game.. now we have way less home grown players, lighter balls and money took over. If we were still in a system like back then Danny Ings and Lambert would probably stand out and look like legends.

Your right about not being able to compare players of that era rib as players were players then & the opposition were sh*t scared.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4674: Feb 13, 2016 04:51:07 pm
      Quote from Beerbelly
      I don't like to see us lose full stop. Granted, there was nothing to play for but still being humiliated like that shouldn't be dismissed as immaterial. After all, the least amount of importance you could give that game is that it was Gerrard's final game, and seeing a legend being waved off like that is totally disheartening.

They're just so entrenched in their views that Rodgers had to go (which was right he did), but simultaneously proclaimed (this is where they're wrong though and they constantly shift the goal posts - hence people now see how hypocritical they are), Klopp would immediately get this team/squad playing to a level much better than Rodgers did, which as we can now see is totally wide of the mark.

Posters like the bloke you're talking to and a few of the other protected species on here cannot handle that our team performances and results have been just AS bad, if not worse than what we saw under Rodgers. They're frustrated that they cannot come wading in here with their size 9's saying 'I told you so', in regards to Klopp having an immediate upturn in performances and results.

Nobody said we liked to lose, but nobody here really cared about that Stoke game until about halfway through the first half, Gerrard's last game or not. If the scoreline was in a game with something at stake, I would have no issue with anyone laying into Rodgers. Instead the game was a total irrelevance, best forgotten.

They also bang on about the Cup semi. The performance was awful and the occasion got to Rodgers. However we were robbed in the closing minutes, when Balotelli actually found a net, and it should have stood. Everyone conveniently forgets that instead. The same referee is doing the League Cup Final.

Federer waded in here with his size 9's during games during the honeymoon period. Others compared Klopp's record against two high profile opponents to Rodgers record. They don't quite apply the same criteria to the records against Newcastle, West Brom, or West Ham.

I've already dealt with this issue once before, but Rodgers is from the UK. We have had coaches from the UK and across Europe throughout our history. It has no bearing on anything I say about them.

Quote from Kopite78
      Do I understand moneyball?

Well to be honest I'm not willing to get into it

So you don't understand moneyball then.

Message Received.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #4675: Feb 13, 2016 04:57:10 pm
      Nobody said we liked to lose, but nobody here really cared about that Stoke game until about halfway through the first half,

Don't talk such F***ing bollocks.

Any genuine Liverpool fan cared about the game and cared about the result. And cared about it long before it even kicked off.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4676: Feb 13, 2016 04:58:00 pm
      Nobody said we liked to lose, but nobody here really cared about that Stoke game until about halfway through the first half, Gerrard's last game or not. If the scoreline was in a game with something at stake, I would have no issue with anyone laying into Rodgers. Instead the game was a total irrelevance, best forgotten.

They also bang on about the Cup semi. The performance was awful and the occasion got to Rodgers. However we were robbed in the closing minutes, when Balotelli actually found a net, and it should have stood. Everyone conveniently forgets that instead. The same referee is doing the League Cup Final.

Federer waded in here with his size 9's during games during the honeymoon period. Others compared Klopp's record against two high profile opponents to Rodgers record. They don't quite apply the same criteria to the records against Newcastle, West Brom, or West Ham.

I've already dealt with this issue once before, but Rodgers is from the UK. We have had coaches from the UK and across Europe throughout our history. It has no bearing on anything I say about them.

Message Received.

Are you sure you're a fan of Liverpool rather than a fan of Brendan Rodgers?  How any fan can say they were ok with defeats against Stoke or Aston Villa is baffling and highly suspicious.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4677: Feb 13, 2016 05:08:53 pm

Message Received.

Perfectly well thanks

You justifying a 6-1 defeat though?
      I and all reds I know gave a massive sh*te about getting beat 6-1, the way it happened, that it happened.
      Not good enough, last game of the season or not.

If FSG think that following Leicester's 'model' is the way forward for us we are fu**ed and probably should get used to more 6-1 defeats though
      I don't think they are that naive though
      « Last Edit: Feb 13, 2016 05:27:04 pm by Kopite78 »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4678: Feb 13, 2016 05:25:43 pm
      Yep. This.

Coutinho, for all his sexy football, still hasn't done enough on a consistent basis.

exactly very nice on the eye and moments of brilliance but the league is 38 games and that takes some doing to have an influence on it.
      He needs more goals and more assists to be classed as "top draw". Still time though
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #4679: Feb 13, 2016 06:12:11 pm

Do you understand moneyball?

If anything, Leicester's performance this year may convince them that gambling on a team of non-leaguers, rejects, loan deals, and free transfers, is all it takes for a team to be competitive these days.
      Leicester's model?

Lets see what Leicester's model does next season with European footy to play with.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #4680: Feb 13, 2016 07:30:45 pm

Westerveld v Mignolet
      Babbel v Clyne
      Henchoz v Skrtel
      Hyypia v  Sakho
      Carragher v Moreno
      Murphy v Milner
      Gerrard v Henderson
      Hamann v Lucas
      Berger v Coutinho
      Fowler v Sturridge
      Owen v Firmino

Would argue on the Coutinho v Berger one but all the rest ring true
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4681: Feb 13, 2016 07:43:26 pm
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      Any genuine Liverpool fan cared about the game and cared about the result. And cared about it long before it even kicked off.

They care about it now alright yeah. Before it, our season was finished, and the players took the day off. That scoreline would have never happened if there was something to play for, guaranteed.

Plenty of sides have gone to Stoke since and lost. Some have been really humiliated and only lost 2-0.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #4682: Feb 13, 2016 08:52:09 pm
      They care about it now alright yeah. Before it, our season was finished, and the players took the day off. That scoreline would have never happened if there was something to play for, guaranteed.

Plenty of sides have gone to Stoke since and lost. Some have been really humiliated and only lost 2-0.

:roll:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4683: Feb 13, 2016 09:48:06 pm
      Don't talk such f**king bollocks.

Too F***ing right, we did.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4684: Feb 13, 2016 10:54:29 pm
      Klopp:
      "I know nobody wants to hear this, but it's a long way (for us to go). Sorry. But I'm really prepared for this way."

"For development, I am the right man. I don't care about people who are not patient enough. I can't. I have no time for that."

Jürgen has no time for impatient fuckers.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4685: Feb 13, 2016 11:24:21 pm
      Klopp:
      "I know nobody wants to hear this, but it's a long way (for us to go). Sorry. But I'm really prepared for this way."

"For development, I am the right man. I don't care about people who are not patient enough. I can't. I have no time for that."

We live in such an instantaneous culture now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4686: Feb 13, 2016 11:28:43 pm
      Klopp:

Beerbelly and Hamaans don't like this post.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #4687: Feb 13, 2016 11:34:36 pm
      Beerbelly and Hamaans don't like this post.

Has anyone considered the possibility that someone can be completely onboard with Klopp's rebuilding project and yet still think we should be playing better?

The two aren't mutually exclusive.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4688: Feb 13, 2016 11:42:12 pm
      Has anyone considered the possibility that someone can be completely onboard with Klopp's rebuilding project and yet still think we should be playing better?

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Yeah possibly but if you are frothing at the mouth with your posts then I'm not sure!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #4689: Feb 13, 2016 11:44:36 pm

Yeah possibly but if you are frothing at the mouth with your posts then I'm not sure!

I'm not sure what that really means, maybe you can explain it or are you just on a wind up?

Or by frothing at the mouth maybe you are talking about your posts about your buddy Lallana?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4690: Feb 13, 2016 11:51:40 pm
      I'm not sure what that really means, maybe you can explain it or are you just on a wind up?

Or by frothing at the mouth maybe you are talking about your posts about your buddy Lallana?

It's true sarcasm has never been understood by Americans.

Incidentally which of my posts have been incorrect about Lallana, I have always said and stand by it he has zero end product.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #4691: Feb 14, 2016 12:30:45 am
      It's true sarcasm has never been understood by Americans.

Incidentally which of my posts have been incorrect about Lallana, I have always said and stand by it he has zero end product.

This isn't a thread about Lallana pal.

But to stay on topic, what about the posts criticizing our form since Jürgen took over has been incorrect?

Quick Reply