Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      9 (10.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.2%)
      Lucas Leiva
      11 (13.3%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      7 (8.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      10 (12%)
      Roberto Firmino
      33 (39.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      4 (4.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      5 (6%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joao Teixeira
      2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: Feb 27, 2016 08:08:03 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Augsburg: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25249 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Liverpool 1-0 Augsburg: In game and Post Match discussion
      Feb 25, 2016 04:48:02 pm

Players arriving at Anfield

The team and Klopp have arrived Anfield this afternoon

Starting XI: Mignolet, Clyne, Lucas, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Henderson, Milner, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge

Subs: Ward, Toure, Benteke, Origi, Smith, Teixeira, Chirivella

Lucas Leiva comes into the Liverpool side as Jürgen Klopp makes a single change for this evening's Europa League second leg against Augsburg at Anfield.

The Brazilian is expected to line up alongside Mamadou Sakho in defence, with the Reds otherwise unchanged from last week’s goalless draw in Germany.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016 08:07:03 pm by JD »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V FC Augsburg
      Reply #1: Feb 25, 2016 05:02:48 pm
      Interesting, never thought Lucas would start at CB, I like it. Think he showed last time he played there just how commanding he can be.

Other than that I think it's the right team but that midfield just has me worried about connecting defence with attack.

If this midfield shows up and plays well I think we'll win.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2: Feb 25, 2016 05:03:53 pm
      Very strong team as most of us expected. Only real acknowledgement of Sundays game being the absence of Kolo, who is probably not up to two games a week anyway.

Only real surprise for me is no Ibe on the bench (unless he is injured?)

Should be more than strong enough to win this game comfortably, so sticking with my 3-1 prediction.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #3: Feb 25, 2016 05:08:56 pm
      very poor midfield, lucas will have to push up doing two jobs at the same time, but F**k it. at least we have a scapegoat if all goes wrong.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Feb 25, 2016 05:08:57 pm
      Interesting, never thought Lucas would start at CB, I like it. Think he showed last time he played there just how commanding he can be.

Other than that I think it's the right team but that midfield just has me worried about connecting defence with attack.

If this midfield shows up and plays well I think we'll win.

I like Lucas at the back too mate. He's been one of our best players when he's played there this season.

Tonight is a night when Henderson simply has to turn up. He and Can can't be starting off piss poor and slow like they have done in recent games. I had no idea of the injury situations at the back so that aside it's basically the team I expected.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: Feb 25, 2016 05:10:11 pm
      I actually feel more confident in having Lucas as our CB than I would Toure, maybe even Lovren.

It's also down to Can and Hendo to link the team up and help provide that cohesion. Though I am not confident of them doing so, I'm hoping they can show some glimmer of light and change my mind about them.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #6: Feb 25, 2016 05:14:18 pm
      I like Lucas at the back too mate. He's been one of our best players when he's played there this season.

Tonight is a night when Henderson simply has to turn up. He and Can can't be starting off piss poor and slow like they have done in recent games. I had no idea of the injury situations at the back so that aside it's basically the team I expected.

Couldn't agree more mate, if I was Jürgen I'd be yelling at those 3 in midfield before they even get out of the changing room. They have to start with intent and some awareness. Both in terms of players around them (Can) and in supporting the attack. We can't have a first half like against these last week where the front 3 were expected to do everything against about 7 of Augsburg, frustrated the hell out of me that.

Can and or Henderson can afford to step up when they have such numbers in defence which I fully expect at Anfield. Take responsibility be prepare for a few things not to come off and actually express yourself. Can in terms of shooting from distance and Hendo with a pass. I know a lot has been made of Hendo's injury struggles but I'm not buying it's even 30% down to that, his ability on the ball and passing just seems so poor. As you say, time to step up and stake your claim for being in the XI next year because these are the games that I'm sure will carry the most weight in the memory.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7: Feb 25, 2016 05:14:27 pm
      My worry playing Lucas at the back is that he is a player that gives silly freekicks away at times, playing at the back one of those freekicks may turn into a penalty.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Feb 25, 2016 05:15:48 pm
      Quite a bit of stick given to the lads after our first dig, places up for grabs for Sunday and to see the club into the next round in Europe. Lots to play for.

So with that in mind, and it being a European evening at Anfield, there can be no excuses for us not being at it.

Strong team, big game. Need to get the job done now. Fail here today then whatever the outcome in the final, our season ends on Sunday.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #9: Feb 25, 2016 05:16:39 pm
      My worry playing Lucas at the back is that he is a player that gives silly freekicks away at times, playing at the back one of those freekicks may turn into a penalty.

All freekicks against us turn into penalty mate. ask mignolet
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #10: Feb 25, 2016 05:17:31 pm
      Only real surprise for me is no Ibe on the bench (unless he is injured?)

I'm not massively surprised injured or not.  Got Benteke and Origi on the bench.  Ibe has hardly been grabbing his chances these past few months.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #11: Feb 25, 2016 05:18:22 pm
      We should have this game wrapped up in the first half, I can see us coming out the blocks pretty fast to finish off Augsburg.

3-1
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #12: Feb 25, 2016 05:18:28 pm
      We cannot afford this to go into extra time. We need to be clinical in front of goal.
      YNWA Reds
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #13: Feb 25, 2016 05:18:38 pm

Thought that was only corners mate :) but you may be right!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #14: Feb 25, 2016 05:20:21 pm

Nah he saves Pens
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: Feb 25, 2016 05:25:35 pm
      Just come across this...

OptaJoe ✔ ‎@OptaJoe
      1 - Liverpool have lost only one of their 17 Europa League games at Anfield (W11 D5). Fortress.
      2:20 PM - 25 Feb 2016
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #16: Feb 25, 2016 05:26:58 pm

He's the polar opposite of Skrtel.  Martin is physically imposing but reads the game very poorly.  Lucas reads the game very well and uses his tactical nous to his advantage.

If our midfield can find gaps and thread forward passes to our attackers, then I think we'll win.  If they can suffocate our midfield and restrict us to shots from distance and hopeful crosses then we will struggle.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #17: Feb 25, 2016 05:29:39 pm

Or a West Ham winner, badumtisch!

Too early? :laugh:
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #18: Feb 25, 2016 05:36:33 pm
      If Pulis kicks out his player for every freekick they concede there would be nobody to play for West Brom at this stage. Its only ´cause Mignolet is so sh*te to deal with crosses we blame Lucas for a foul around our box.

F***ing cliché, hate it with passion, esp. when a Bender or any other "top holder" gives out even more fouls than Lucas. We are a sad F***ing bunch. Not that bad on this forum mind, but listening to czech and slovak LFC forum, you wonder if we liverpool fans are really so stupid.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #19: Feb 25, 2016 05:38:07 pm
      Absolutely no worries with Lucas playing the CB, he's looked great there. There are worries however with that midfield 3. I'm ok with Milner, but Can and Hendo together just doesn't get us going properly. Unfortunately, there aren't any other options that would have me any more confident. Must be the area we build on in the summer. I'll go for a 2-1 win for the home fans!
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #20: Feb 25, 2016 05:55:48 pm
      This better be a decent game as I'm fighting to keep my eyes open. Lots of coffee isn't working.  :mad:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #21: Feb 25, 2016 06:00:12 pm
      Boss obviously trusts Lucas in the back 4 there. Citeh had a decent win last night , even though the opposition wasn't great. We need to do the same so our confidence is as high as theirs come Sunday.
      Almost missed this as well, forgot about the early  k.o. so off to watch it now.
      COME ON YOU MIGHTY RED MEN. 3 -0 PLEASE.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Feb 25, 2016 06:00:55 pm
      6 Months ago it would have been Can at the back and Lucas in midfield... how times change  :lmao:

Quick Reply